PDA

View Full Version : The Rocket

TLR
08-29-2004, 01:05 AM
Just curious as to anyone's thoughts on this subject (and I don't THINK this has been discussed...if it has, I apologize in advance)...

Will Roger Clemens return next season?

If you are an Astros fan (or Rocket fan), think of this: If the USA baseball team had not been eliminated from an Olympic berth, he probably would not have come out of 'retirement.'

POJO_Risin
08-29-2004, 01:07 AM
No doubt...he said he would pitch in the Olympics...

I DO think he'd come back...I just don't know if it's going to be for the Astros...

we'll see...I don't have a feel on it...

the Astros have the talent to win...they need to get rid of Bagwell...and Biggio as regulars...and get a bit more thunder in the lineup...

if they do...they are a serious contender...

TLR
08-29-2004, 01:32 AM
I don't even know if I have an opinion as to whether or not he'll come back...I just have a feeling he might...he's real close to moving into the top 10 all-time for wins (think he's 5-6 behind Carlton, who's 9th, right now)...

I don't know about Biggio...he's got what...19 HR right now? That's not BAD...?

Bagwell...well, I really like him...I'll follow this up with my question to you regarding Snyder...

POJO_Risin
08-29-2004, 01:48 AM
I Like Bags...and don't take me wrong here...liking a guy...and having production are two different things...

I think the Stros need to shore up their offense a bit...

sign Beltran long term...get another outfielder with Beltran and Berkman...

Biggio had a good year..no doubt...but how many are left? and at this point...is having them a good thing?

TLR
08-29-2004, 01:51 AM
You're absolutely right about liking a guy and production being two different things (Marlon Byrd in my case).

They do need to sign Beltran long term...good luck w/ Boras.

I wonder how much all of this will affect a potential return by Clemens...significantly, I would guess...although, he's got a pretty good gig going for himself right now...

POJO_Risin
08-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Well...I could see himself wanting two things...

1. To stay home with his family and watch his kids...ie...stay and play in Houston...

2. To go back to the Yanks...and win another series...

and one other thing that has crossed my mind a bit lately...

3. Go back to the Sox? Sounds ridiculous...but think about it...it makes some strange sense...

TLR
08-29-2004, 02:11 AM
1. Yep, got the world by the tail...

2. Possible as well...just one more reason for me to hate the Yanks...

3. Real possibility as well. I think the Bosox fans have 'forgiven' him now and would welcome him back...wouldn't THAT be interesting-especially when he'd match up with the Yanks...

POJO_Risin
08-29-2004, 02:15 AM
Well...think about it...

forever...Clemens wanted a ring...

then he wanted to play at home...

bing and bang...

now...imagine if Rocket came back...and brought them a title...

the Name Clemens would then...and only then (even after all this) be up there with guys like Koufax and Gibson...

he's probably there now...but man...

that's why I can't figure out why Johnson wouldn't go there...

TLR
08-29-2004, 02:19 AM
NE would lose their collective minds if something like that happened...The Rocket getting them a ring...they'd tear down the whole damn region...

Tim Kurkjian (dork-looking dude, by the way) said tonight he thought Clemens was the best pitcher in MLB history over the last 40 years. I don't personally care for Clemens all that much, but he could well be right on...

I don't know why Johnson wouldn't want to go there, either...but, then again...why wouldn't Carlos Delgado jump at virtually ANY chance to get out of Toronto? Guess he'd rather play with nothing at stake...

POJO_Risin
08-29-2004, 02:34 AM
Clemens back in Boston...

I wonder if he'd go back...especially with new management...

TLR
08-29-2004, 02:38 AM
I would think that might be the thing that WOULD make him consider an encore performance in Beantown. He sure wouldn't go back if...who was it...Duquette (?) was still there....

POJO_Risin
08-29-2004, 02:58 AM
Well..yeah...but I think it was more the ownership there...wasn't it?

TLR
08-29-2004, 03:05 AM
I don't remember, to be honest. They did, however, inform him that his best years were behind him which simply served to fuel the run he then had at Toronto and NY. Nice job...