PDA

View Full Version : 1984 was the worst Classic VH album ever

Steve Savicki
01-23-2004, 08:55 AM
If you click here:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDMISS70401210855501845&sql=Bb9ez97ijkrrt

you'll see 1984 is rated the 2nd best Classic VH album (the debut gets a check mark by it as well:p )
Why do people think it's so great? Was it the synthesizer affects on the opener and "I'll wait"? From that song on, is just mush.
It just didn't have the same kick.
And look:

5150 gets 1 more star than "Diver Down"?!?!?!?!
I thought DD was the best ever! Doesn't matter if the album was mostly covers. I prefer it over 1984 any day.

Sarge
01-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Drop Dead Legs..Awesome song. Hot For Teacher.. great! No way that it's the worst CLassic VH release..

I would have to say my least Favorites are Diver Down or WACF.. but both of those have their fair share of great tunes..

Steve Savicki
01-23-2004, 08:59 AM
Okay, doesn't explain why 5150 gets 4 stars, but I guess I forgot to say that that's the general public's opinion, not just Dave fans.
Imagine what the Sammy and Gary albums would be rated if just the Army voted on them.

Calderone
01-23-2004, 09:02 AM
Hmmmmm form the 6 pack original VH
1984 its the worst (to me)

Full Bug
01-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Okay, doesn't explain why 5150 gets 4 stars, but I guess I forgot to say that that's the general public's opinion, not just Dave fans.
Hmmm, nobody ever asked me what my opinion is, whoever rated it 4 stars is a tool, its just one guys opinoin......:rolleyes:

flappo
01-23-2004, 09:39 AM
1984 the worst?

House of Pain , anyone ?

The solo on that is better than all of van hagar's crap put together

ThrillsNSpills
01-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Damn right Flappo.
That solo is a classic.
goose bump material

The original House of Pain was priceless also.
They should have released both of em.

pardo
01-23-2004, 10:21 AM
Panama
Top Jimmy
Drop Dead Legs
Hot For Teacher
Girl Gone Bad
House Of Pain

Any album with those tunes on it is absolutely stellar!

Sarge, WACF is a masterwork in its own right. Cradle, Everybody Wants Some, Fools, Romeo Delight, Take Your Whiskey Home! I mean Jesus - Dave flat out rules on this disk!

diamond den™
01-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Everybody Wants Some!! :D

pet
01-23-2004, 10:34 AM
I THINK MUSICALLY 1984 IS THEIR BEST WORK. AS FAR AS ASS KICKING THE NOD GOES TO VH1

Full Bug
01-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by pet
I THINK MUSICALLY 1984 IS THEIR BEST WORK. AS FAR AS ASS KICKING THE NOD GOES TO VH1
Maybe, but Fair Warning could be called their best work as well......At least for me......

Catfish
01-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Dude, three words: Pan-a-ma.

Sarge
01-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by pardo
Panama
Top Jimmy
Drop Dead Legs
Hot For Teacher
Girl Gone Bad
House Of Pain

Any album with those tunes on it is absolutely stellar!

Sarge, WACF is a masterwork in its own right. Cradle, Everybody Wants Some, Fools, Romeo Delight, Take Your Whiskey Home! I mean Jesus - Dave flat out rules on this disk!

I wasn't talking down on it...I listen to it all the time!
I was saying that I like it the least out of all the 6..
Well.. maybe Diver Down..
It's close!

flappo
01-23-2004, 12:34 PM
..diver down on lp was bluddy awful . whiole 1984 was much cleaner

http://www.hedweb.com/pete/alter-ego.jpg

..that's gary cherone's new look btw

Lou
01-23-2004, 05:40 PM
I think what taints 1984 is if you look at it retrospectively, you know it marked the beginning of the end, and years to come of synthesizer crap. Now when 1984 came out, who would know that. I'm sure die-hards even back then hated the synth stuff, but overall it's still a good album. Now, when you look at it, it's the first chapter of a bad story.

Lou
01-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by flappo
1984 the worst?

House of Pain , anyone ?

Well rememeber that was written in the 1970's and it had been kind of a prelude to "Runnin' With The Devil" on the early demo's.

DLR7884
01-23-2004, 06:34 PM
1984 was a bit too poppy....but it's still a great fucking album.

DLR7884
All Dave era albums were greath though!

DLR7884
01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
God damn, I can't spell.

DLR7884
All Dave era albums were great though!

Gmoney
01-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Way too many fucking keyboards in 1984.

Hot for Teacher and Panama keep 1984 from being the worst album, my vote goes to Diver Down.

High Life Man
01-23-2004, 08:35 PM
Liiiiisten a-Baaaaaaybeee!

And this guy helped with "I'll Wait."

DLR7884
01-23-2004, 10:12 PM
LMFAO.

DLR
:)

S.P.G
01-24-2004, 08:45 AM
I think anyone who slates 1984 must have been tarred with the looney brush. year i was born and it outshone my birth in my families eyes (sob sob)! For me vh is the best though. best debut album ever! not one i dislike!

flappo
01-24-2004, 01:05 PM
..you have grate taste

Hecubus
01-24-2004, 01:30 PM
1984 the worst?

House of Pain , anyone ?

Damn fucking straight. Especially the outro....

Hecubus
01-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man
Liiiiisten a-Baaaaaaybeee!

And this guy helped with "I'll Wait."

You'd better take that back right now!!!

I will not have Michael McDonald taint any classic =VH= album!!!!!
:pow: :gun: :anger: :cato:

pete
01-24-2004, 01:43 PM
the intro: 1984 is so bullshit. the whole rest of the album kicks ass. great guitar. he really pulled off some awesome shit on that. play it back to back with 5150 and hear how lazy eddie got. i really believe dave's side of the story (why he left) listening to 5150. he really hasn't broken any new ground since 1984.

and btw...

diver down is a fucking great, fun album

Little Guitars has it all
everything great about VH is in that song
you got dave, excellent guitar playing/arranging, the attitude

and Hang 'Em High is one of my personal all time favorites. As dark as any metal at the time musically/lyrically, but, in real language. never had to resort to the horror movie/dungeons and dragons bullshit imagery. so prevalant at the time.

Va Beach VH Fan
01-24-2004, 02:44 PM
Absolutely no way that 1984 is the worst DLR/VH album....

IMO DD is easily the worst, by a long shot....

Even the band admitted numerous times in the past that they rushed the production of DD just to appease Warner Bros....

Throw in songs that had no business being on a Van Halen album, i.e. Dancing in the Streets, and you've got the worst album out of the 6....

S.P.G
01-24-2004, 02:56 PM
i think vh3 is not only the worst VH album ever, but one of the worst albums ever made. I'd rather listen to paper laces' greatest hits or leather jackets by elton john! Gary Cherone (sighs), need i say more!

flappo
01-24-2004, 03:28 PM
,,hey spg - check this site out !

http://www.bebosh.com/youngones/

http://www.bebosh.com/youngones/bambi22.jpg

S.P.G
01-24-2004, 03:52 PM
That website is GRATE! Is there an official young ones site?

flappo
01-24-2004, 04:13 PM
..i dunno , maybe check it out on google

..here's some other grate links

http://www.barbneal.com/wav.asp ( sounds )

http://www.barnabyi.freeserve.co.uk/frcpage/ ( FR&Catflap )

and the goodies !

http://www.goodiesruleok.com/

Dr. Love
01-24-2004, 05:21 PM
The only songs I listen to repeatedly on 1984 are Hot For Teacher, Girl Gone Bad and Panama.

And even then, they get old after a while.

My vote is for 1984, worst Classic VH album.

Steve Savicki
01-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Lou
Now, when you look at it, it's the first chapter of a bad story.
I'd say just the prelude.:) As long as Roth sang on it, it doesn't deserve a whole chapter of bad story. Chapter 1 is 5150.

flappo
01-24-2004, 06:10 PM
..i'll wait WAS awful tho'

..along with how many say i and most of van hagar , it's the kinda shit that eddie should be ashamed of

pete
01-24-2004, 08:36 PM
..i'll wait WAS awful tho'

thanks drew carey

let me ask you guys

do you remeber the 1st time you heard "drop dead legs"?

i do

how soon we forget those special moments when we relish, relive, and bitch about our misery.

you know, i just hear an amazing body of music in a short period of time. DD was recorded in, like, 10 days. i spend 10 days on a song. the 6-pack is legendary. from beginning to end.

anybody who can criticize any of it, is retarded. you're the guys who give DIO a job in this day and age. (only a 14 yr old mentality can get something out of that shit) BUAH BUAH buahhahahahahaha

pete
01-24-2004, 08:51 PM
the only thing i can say, sorta negative about classic VH and Dave is "I wish he'd put more effort into the musicality of his live performances"

flappo
01-25-2004, 06:14 AM
..grate edit , dipshit

pete
01-25-2004, 10:06 AM
..grate edit , dipshit

thanks , I thought it was "grate" too, Einstein

Terry
01-25-2004, 10:44 AM
Am pretty much partial to Fair Warning above all the other classic releases. Definitely gets the most spin time on my player.

With 1984, even when the album was first released, the title track/album intro was filler. Hasn't gotten any better with age. Jump was okay until it was played into the ground by radio, video and at every sporting event within the first year of it's release. If I never heard that song again, no big loss. Panama is in the same boat. I'll Wait may not have gotten as much play as the former two, but stinks on ice nonetheless.

Top Jimmy is decent.

Drop Dead Legs is a classic track. Great lyrics plus that three track guitar stomp fade out at the end.

Hot For Teacher still smokes.

Girl Gone Bad and House Of Pain are also classics. Even though Roth's contributions are kind of mimimal on those songs, the band is still cooking.

Don't really care for the production of that album. Never did. The electronic drums haven't aged well, although were thankfully not as shitty sounding as they were on 5150. Alex did some good stuff on 1984. Roth's performance seems subdued at times. The songs I ended up enjoying and still do are almost in spite of the way they were recorded. But at least Ed's sound was still fairly recognizable. By the time 5150 rolled around, the clarity of production and sonic punch of the instruments which were on the wane in 1984 had been totally replaced by a muffled mid-tone sludge. No high or low end. Never mind Sam's vocals or lyrics, or even what notes the band was playing post-Roth; just the instrumental recorded SOUND was terrible, and you could hear it coming on 1984.

1984 and Diver Down probably get the least amount of repeat play by me, but Diver Down had some classic tracks like Secrets, Hang 'Em High, The Full Bug and Little Guitars to offset the novelty tracks. Even Big Bad Bill has humor and charm to it.

If classic Halen were to reunite and gave the entire 1984 album a miss (I know they'd obviously play Jump if nothing else), that'd be fine with me.

Steve, More Fun In The New World? Fair enough. I'll continue living Under The Big Black Sun.

Mr Badguy
01-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Isn`t this like two bald men fighting over a comb?

To be honest, though, 1984 was the first VH album I got but would be the last one I would play if I had all six at my disposal (which I do).

And that`s not to say that it`s bad, just keeping in the context of the question.

The others contain stuff which is arguably more exciting.

When you`ve got the top guitarist of the era in your band, you don`t want to hear him play the keyboard.

Know what I`m saying?

High Life Man
01-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Hecubus
You'd better take that back right now!!!

I will not have Michael McDonald taint any classic =VH= album!!!!!
:pow: :gun: :anger: :cato:

Heh.

Check out the liner notes...

M McD had his fingers in that pie.

How long will it be before Dave starts hawking MCI The Neighborhood? ;)

Steve Savicki
01-26-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Terry
Steve, More Fun In The New World? Fair enough. I'll continue living Under The Big Black Sun.
Ahh, ya like their original punk form, eh? ;)
"Big Black Sun" was great as well. :cool:

flappo
01-26-2004, 10:11 AM
hello steve

haven't you been banned from that harry potter site yet for emailing the under twelves pictures of your genitalia ?

Dave IS VH
01-28-2004, 03:42 AM
1984 was a good album but not the best by the band. Everyone claims 1984 was their 2nd best album from the band after Van Halen their debut album. The Biggest hit song Jump was more Rock meets Pop instead of straight up rock which most of Roth era was. You have to remember the 1984 album was when Dave and Eddie started to have their problems. I have always wonder what would 5150 sound like if Roth stayed in VH. Eddie wrote half of the album for Roth and half for Sammy.

Terry
01-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Dave IS VH
1984 was a good album but not the best by the band. Everyone claims 1984 was their 2nd best album from the band after Van Halen their debut album. The Biggest hit song Jump was more Rock meets Pop instead of straight up rock which most of Roth era was. You have to remember the 1984 album was when Dave and Eddie started to have their problems. I have always wonder what would 5150 sound like if Roth stayed in VH. Eddie wrote half of the album for Roth and half for Sammy.

Doubt Roth would have stuck around long enough to record 5150, even if there hadn't been problems beforehand.....boils down to what he said in Crazy From The Heat, about not wanting to stick around and commit poetic felonies doing melancholy power ballads.

Thinking about what Van Halen put out before Roth left and what was released after 1985, makes you wonder how much influence he had over the muscial content of the band.

Hecubus
01-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by High Life Man
Heh.

Check out the liner notes...

M McD had his fingers in that pie.

How long will it be before Dave starts hawking MCI The Neighborhood? ;)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

MAX
01-29-2004, 02:43 AM
Hec,

Your fuckin avatar, title and just you alone fucking floor me!!! ROTFFLMFAO!!! Rock on my bro!!!! I fuckin' love you mang!!!

Steve Savicki
01-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Doubt Roth would have stuck around long enough to record 5150, even if there hadn't been problems beforehand.....boils down to what he said in Crazy From The Heat, about not wanting to stick around and commit poetic felonies doing melancholy power ballads.

Still, it would be interesting what a Classic VH album of the mid-80's '85-'86 would sounds like if you combined EEAS with the power tunes of 5150 which is like every other song:

good enough
get up
summer nights

Throw in the "bump 'n grind" style and you have it.

Thinking about what Van Halen put out before Roth left and what was released after 1985, makes you wonder how much influence he had over the muscial content of the band.
Yep, it's like comparing VH to Guns N' Roses and people say Axl Rose was GNR.
Sorry... who wrote all the good songs... Izzy Stradlin'... HE was the band, not Axl.
Same with Van Halen. Just because the brothers name is the band's name doesn't mean they're the band... Roth was Van Halen, at least more so than Eddie.

flappo
01-29-2004, 10:24 AM
..except eddie wrote all the music

Terry
01-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Steve Savicki
Still, it would be interesting what a Classic VH album of the mid-80's '85-'86 would sounds like if you combined EEAS with the power tunes of 5150 which is like every other song:

good enough
get up
summer nights

Throw in the "bump 'n grind" style and you have it.

Yep, it's like comparing VH to Guns N' Roses and people say Axl Rose was GNR.
Sorry... who wrote all the good songs... Izzy Stradlin'... HE was the band, not Axl.
Same with Van Halen. Just because the brothers name is the band's name doesn't mean they're the band... Roth was Van Halen, at least more so than Eddie.

Couldn't agree more, Steve.

What do you think about DLR and Billy Zoom forming a group? I mean, stranger things have happened..........:D

Panamark
01-30-2004, 11:58 PM
Fuck that ! 1984 kicks serious ass. Original Van Halen peakin out Man !! The only shit I dont like is the 1984 jump intro. Jump itself even holds special memories for me. Why, because it was number one here on the charts for a long time and suddenly all my ignorant college friends (who loved Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet and Human League) suddenly knew who Dave and Van Halen were.

Panama, Hot for Teacher, House of Pain, Drop Dead Legs, Top Jimmy, Girl Gone Bad.

This album fookin Rocks !! Anyone who says its the worst Van Halen album is Nucking Futs !!!

That award clearly belongs to Diver Down.

Cathedral
01-31-2004, 12:10 AM
Ouch, Diver Down was the album with the most with the least, man, lol.

Little Guitars alone makes that album sing circles around anything post Roth.

I don't happen to think VH has a worst album in the Roth era. they didn't earn that award until after Spammy signed up and single handedly turned Van Halen from a Circus into a Carnival act.

Mr Badguy
01-31-2004, 09:13 AM
I wouldn`t pick Diver Down as the worst, no, not the worst, as my least favourite of the six.

It would be "Van Halen II" or "1984".

And those are great fuckin` albums.

I think that`s what it might be, though, that some people have special memories of certain albums which make them personal favourites.

Everyone talks about Diver Down being about covers but the standout tracks are all originals.

"Little guitars" and "Hang `em high" being two of the best ever.

IMO "VHII" or "1984" do have great songs but none that send shivers down the spine like those two.