PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Congressman resigns after release of gay phone sex tape

FORD
08-30-2004, 10:32 PM
Virginia Republican who cosponsored Federal Marriage Amendment resigns; Alleged taped gay phone sex calls surface

http://wavy.static.worldnow.com/images/2237228_BG1.jpg

Rep. Ed Schrock

EXCLUSIVE: GOP Republican was ranked 2nd most conservative in Congress by the conservative standard-bearer the National Journal

By John Byrne | Raw Story Editor

UPDATED 9:48 PM – Add Christian coalition rating, HRC rating, quotes from Virginia Pilot

Rep. Ed Schrock, a two-term Republican congressman from Virginia, announced that he would resign abruptly today, citing unspecified allegations.

Schrock said only: “In recent weeks, allegations have surfaced that have called into question my ability to represent the citizens of Virginia’s Second Congressional Distict.” He would not elaborate on the allegations.

Over the past two weeks, a Washington-based Web site has spread claims that Schrock was gay, and the Virginia Pilot noted this in their article but failed to elaborate. That site claims that gay activists are in posession of tapes of several phone calls to gay phone sex lines.

Rep. Schrock was one of several dozen to cosponsor the Federal Marriage Amendment of July 2004, which aimed to constitutionally prohibit gay marriage.

A ranking member of a popular liberal blog site, Daily Kos, has said that he has heard one of the tapes. The alleged tape one of Schrock’s calls is now available on the Internet, at BlogActive.

Raw Story’s transcript of the tape is as follows (click here (http://www.blogactive.com/image_files/0804/audio1.mp3) for audio file).

“Uh, hi, I weigh 200 pounds, I’m 6′4″ (inaudible) blond hair….very muscular, very buffed up, uh, very tanned, uh, I just like to get together a guy from time to time, just to, just to play. I’d like him to be in very good shape, flat stomach, good chest, good arms, well hung, cut, uh, just get naked, play, and see what happens, nothing real heavy duty, but just, fun time, go down on him, he can go down on me, and just take it from there… hope to hear from you. Bye.”

“I’ve actually heard part of one tape, played to me over the phone by a “friend in high places” in DC,” the member said. “The tip-off was probably when he said, ‘You must be very discreet. I cannot overemphasize that,’ while the rest definitely did not sound like what a member of Congress might say.”

The Kos member noted, “The National Journal ties him as the second most conservative person in all of Congress in 2003, behind only Dennis Hastert. A strong family man with a wife and kids, Schrock was a co-sponsor of the Federal Marriage Amendment and opposes any possible rights for gay people, including non-discrimination in employment.”

The Virginia Pilot reported in October 2000 that Schrock favored ending the Clinton administration’s ‘’don’t ask, don’t tell'’ policy on gays in the military, BlogActive noted.

“He supports asking enlistees whether they have had homosexual experiences in an effort to to try to keep gays from serving. ‘You’re in the showers with them, you’re in the bunk room with them, you’re in staterooms with them,’ Schrock said.”

Schrock has a 92 percent vote rating from the Christian coalition, and a zero percent rating from the Human Rights Campaign.

Schrock said he would not seek reelection in a press release.

“After much thought and prayer, I have come to the realization that these allegations will not allow my campaign to focus on the real issues facing our nation and region,” Schrock said. “Therefore, as of today, I am stepping aside and will no longer be the Republican nominee for Congress in Virginia’s Second Congressional District.”

All three of Rep. Schrock’s offices stopped taking phone calls on Friday. BlogActive, the Washington based site that leveled the charges, has yet to break the story into the national media.

Here’s some information on Schrock from his House biography.

Congressman Ed Schrock represents Virginia’s Second District which comprises the cities of Virginia Beach, Norfolk (part) and Hampton (part) and the counties of Accomack and Northampton on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. He was sworn in on January 7, 2003 for a second-term.

In Congress, Mr. Schrock serves on the House Armed Services, Budget, Small Business, and Government Reform Committees. In 2003, Mr. Schrock was chosen to serve as Chairman of the Regulatory Reform and Oversight Subcommittee of the House Committee on Small Business. In this capacity, Mr. Schrock works to address federal regulations and policies that hinder the ability of American small businesses to compete and provide excessive financial and paperwork burdens on small business owners. Mr. Schrock also serves on four other subcommittees and the Postal Reform Task Force.

In his first term in Congress, Mr. Schrock was elected President of the Republican Freshman Class. He founded and remains a co-chair of the House Navy/Marine Corps Caucus and the House Special Operations Forces Caucus. The Navy/Marine Corps Caucus was formed to advocate the issues important to the Navy and Marine Corps, their members and their families. The House Special Forces Caucus supports issues related to Special Operations Forces, including the Navy SEALs, Army Airborne, and Air Force Special Operations.

Ed Schrock was born and raised in Middletown, Ohio and is married to the former Judith Adnee Crawford of Long Beach, California. Judy is retired, after teaching children for almost thirty years, including teaching kindergarten in the Norfolk Public School System for fifteen years. The Schrocks have one son, Randy. They reside in the Witchduck neighborhood in Virginia Beach and are active members of Atlantic Shores Baptist Church.

DEVELOPING…

Correction: An earlier headline said that Congressman Schrock had cosponsored the Defense of Marriage Act, which was in error. Schrock cosponsored the Federal Marriage Amendment, a more restrictive measure aimed at constitutionally banning gay marriage, in July 2004.

link (http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=275)

FORD
08-30-2004, 10:37 PM
VA. congressman to retire over "allegations"

Just two months before he was expected easily to win a third term in the House of Representatives, Republican congressman Ed Schrock of Virginia Beach called off his reelection bid because of unspecified "allegations."

"In recent weeks, allegations have surfaced that have called into question my ability to represent the citizens of Virginia's Second Congressional District," said Schrock in a written statement. "After much thought and prayer, I have come to the realization that these allegations will not allow my campaign to focus on the real issues facing our nation and region. Therefore, as of today, I am stepping aside and will no longer be the Republican nominee for Congress in Virginia's Second Congressional District."

Schrock's statement did not address the subject of the "allegations" against him, and none has been reported in the mainstream media. Indeed, the Associated Press story on his announcement fails to mention what the "allegations" might be.

But Schrock's announcement comes shortly after the launch of an online "outing" campaign, in which the authors of various blogs have reported that Schrock had posted voicemail messages on commercial telephone services soliciting other men for sex.

The most persistent allegations have come from blogactive.com, which now has posted an audio file that the blog alleges is one of Schrock's voice-mail solicitations. "I just like to get together with a guy from time to time just to play," says the voice on the recording, which goes on to suggest specific gay sex acts.

Schrock blog

"Words cannot express the gratitude I have for all of the people who have entrusted me to be their representative and have shown unwavering support. Together, we have accomplished so much for the people of Hampton Roads and the Eastern Shore," Schrock's written statement continued. "Although I am retiring from Congress, I still look forward to working within our community to make it stronger and an even better place to live and work."

Schrock, 63, was elected president of the Republican House freshman class in 2001 and was appointed by his party to the House Armed Services Committee, perhaps reflecting the large number of Navy bases in eastern Virginia. His conservative voting record rated a 92 rating (out of 100) from the Christian Coalition and a zero rating from the gay rights group Human Rights Campaign.

The congressman's announcement leaves Democrat David B. Ashe temporarily unopposed for the House seat in Schrock's conservative district, which covers parts of Hampton, Norfolk, and Accomack and Northampton counties as well as all of Virginia Beach.

"Wow. I had not heard that. That's really something," Ashe said when a reporter called him at home, according to The Virginian-Pilot, a newspaper serving the region. link (http://www.advocate.com/new_news.asp?ID=13561&sd=08/31/04)

Big Train
08-31-2004, 04:13 AM
Repression happens and it is sad. He probably has been gay for a long time and hates himself for it, hence the mega conservative attitude.

Shit happens..

diamondD
08-31-2004, 07:40 AM
Why is FORD the only one allowed to gay-bash in this forum? If anyone of us started a thread like this, it would get closed in the name of political correctness. :confused:

JCOOK
08-31-2004, 09:08 AM
You suck one cock and your' branded for life.....

FORD
08-31-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by diamondD
Why is FORD the only one allowed to gay-bash in this forum? If anyone of us started a thread like this, it would get closed in the name of political correctness. :confused:

There's no gay-bashing going on here. Just reporting the news.

However, as a sponsor of homophobic legislation, Schrock is a hypocrite of the worst kind, and THAT does deserve bashing.

Wayne L.
08-31-2004, 09:39 AM
The majority of politicians from both political parties are hypocrites with their rhetoric most of the time on personal matters as well as political matters to get elected to office so it's NOT a shock to me unless you're that naive.

Big Train
09-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Hey Ford, what about all the racist spew from Phil while you were gone. Can you clean that up please?

Cathedral
09-01-2004, 04:42 AM
LMMFAO, This story kills me. Just proves yet again why politicians cannot be trusted.

But this is exactly what happens when we have people in our society that find no good reason to cast a vote.
This guy should have been a loser in his state election.

But why resign?
I don't give a fuck if he's gay or not, I just don't want to know about it or see it in public places.
Even my horny ass is reserved in public with my lady, and that's deamed proper.

Adults just need to remember that there are children in this country that are very impressionable an need to act responsible. but Noooooo, their filth has got to be forced upon us to prove a point.

FORD
09-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Big Train
Hey Ford, what about all the racist spew from Phil while you were gone. Can you clean that up please?

Check your PM.

Sgt Schultz
09-01-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by FORD
There's no gay-bashing going on here. Just reporting the news.

However, as a sponsor of homophobic legislation, Schrock is a hypocrite of the worst kind, and THAT does deserve bashing.

First, hime beign gay is an allegation, not a known fact, yet. If he is, I could care less.

Second, just because someone supported or voted for the defense of marriage act, it does not mean they are necessarily "homophobic". The bill passed the house 342 to 67; the Senate approved it by a vote of 84 to 15 - and , Bill CLinton signed it. This means a helluva lot of Democrats voted for this bill.

IMO I think the bill is stupid.

FORD
09-01-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
First, hime beign gay is an allegation, not a known fact, yet. If he is, I could care less.

Second, just because someone supported or voted for the defense of marriage act, it does not mean they are necessarily "homophobic". The bill passed the house 342 to 67; the Senate approved it by a vote of 84 to 15 - and , Bill CLinton signed it. This means a helluva lot of Democrats voted for this bill.

IMO I think the bill is stupid.

You might have missed the correction at the end of the original article. It wasn't the Indefensible Marriage Act tht Schrock sponsored, it was the newer attempt at a Constitutional ammendment.

As to whether he's gay or not, I couldn't give a shit one way or another - except for the fact that the guy is a hypocrite, trying to pass a law that would ammend the Constitution, specifically to discriminate against millions of Americans, which as it turns out, he happens to be one himself. If Joe Lieberman sponsored a Constitutional ammendment to ban Judaism, don't you think people might call him a hypocrite?

Sgt Schultz
09-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by FORD
You might have missed the correction at the end of the original article. It wasn't the Indefensible Marriage Act tht Schrock sponsored, it was the newer attempt at a Constitutional ammendment.

As to whether he's gay or not, I couldn't give a shit one way or another - except for the fact that the guy is a hypocrite, trying to pass a law that would ammend the Constitution, specifically to discriminate against millions of Americans, which as it turns out, he happens to be one himself. If Joe Lieberman sponsored a Constitutional ammendment to ban Judaism, don't you think people might call him a hypocrite?

I am totally opposed to the DOMA and a Constitutional Ammendment to ban gay marriage.

That being said, technically, it still does not mean that one is "homophobic" if they do sponsor these dumb measures. I know it's a fine point but I still think important.

He's not saying people should not be gay, only that people of the same sex should not marry. As far as I know, he's not interested in marrying another man. If he was, he'd be a hypocrite.

ODShowtime
09-03-2004, 11:33 AM
haha, that's rich. Especially since he's so conservative. I hope he's ready to kiss all his DC buddies goodbye cause he sure as hell won't be allowed at the country club anymore!

Disclaimer: I am only enjoying this joker's demise because of the hypocritical nature of his politics. I bet he had some nice internal conflict going on for ahwile there.