PDA

View Full Version : Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages

lucky wilbury
08-31-2004, 12:43 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040831/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_purple_heart_bandages

Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages

Tue Aug 31,12:11 AM ET

By WILL LESTER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A GOP delegate handed out bandages with purple hearts on them Monday night at the Republican National Convention in a swipe at Democratic nominee John Kerry (news - web sites)'s war record, but national GOP officials have asked him to stop.

The bandages were handed out by Morton Blackwell, a longtime GOP activist from Virginia, with the message: "It was just a self-inflicted scratch, but you see I got a Purple Heart for it."

Kerry won three Purple Hearts, a Silver Star and a bronze star for his service in the Vietnam War. A group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has been attacking Kerry as a liar through campaign ads and media interviews, but Kerry's wartime experiences have been backed by crewmates and official records.

"It is inexcusable for a delegate to mock anyone who has ever put on a soldier's uniform," said Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "It is inexcusable to mock service and sacrifice."

Blackwell, who gave out almost 250 of the bandages, said Vietnam veterans have every right to be angry about anti-war comments Kerry made after returning to this country.

GOP Chairman Ed Gillespie spoke to Blackwell and they agreed that he would not distribute the bandages Tuesday night," said Republican spokesman Jim Dyke. "This was not a party activity, but he was acting as an individual."

Satan
08-31-2004, 12:57 PM
As a veteran of the first war, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to mock the Purple Heart, especially while supporting a deserting draft dodger, who has now ran against three veterans and attacked the service of all three.

knuckleboner
08-31-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by lucky wilbury

Blackwell, who gave out almost 250 of the bandages, said Vietnam veterans have every right to be angry about anti-war comments Kerry made after returning to this country.

sure they do. though, this appears to be the crux of the swift boat veterans for truth problems; they may have legitimate complaints about kerry's post-war activities. but they've unfortunately let that seep a little too into their colorization of his wartime actions.

Satan
08-31-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
sure they do. though, this appears to be the crux of the swift boat veterans for truth problems; they may have legitimate complaints about kerry's post-war activities. but they've unfortunately let that seep a little too into their colorization of his wartime actions.

Ted Turner himself couldn't have done a worse job of "colorization" :D

knuckleboner
08-31-2004, 01:37 PM
unless it was "in living colour's" ted-turner-colorized classics. billy dee really should be in every old flick...

alsip
08-31-2004, 01:48 PM
Lower Taxes
Lower Taxes
Lower Taxes

That's all I care about.

I pay thousands of dollars in taxes every year.
And Sen. Kerry wants to raise taxes.
Why?
To fund hia foolish healthcare plan,
and make transfer payments to
THE DREGS OF SOCIETY!!!!

FOUR MORE YEARS!!!!

Satan
08-31-2004, 01:57 PM
What a fucking idiot.

Yeah, let's turn the planet into a polluted global fascist state.... as long as LEECHES WHO NEVER PAY A DIME IN FUCKING TAXES CONTINUE TO GET MONEY HANDED OVER TO THEM.

Brainy thinking, asshole.

ODShowtime
08-31-2004, 02:01 PM
I bet some GOP morons were actually proud of that too. Think of the oceans of American blood spilled to get us where we are today. Man, what a disgrace this Blackwell asshole is.

alsip
08-31-2004, 02:22 PM
Bush should end up winning by 5-6%.
Thankfully, our favorable tax treatment will be preserved.

Satan
08-31-2004, 02:29 PM
If the goddamned rich leeches don't start paying their fair share of the taxes, the entire economy will collapse. The middle class is carrying far too much of the tax burden, which has been increased during the current Fraudministration through rising health care costs, and the nearly doubling of gas prices, which in turn raise the prices, and therefore the taxes, on everything dependent on shipping.

It's time for the rich to pay up.

alsip
08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
John Kerry is a wealth confiscationist.

Why should I have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to the federal gov't, so that Kerry can fund his absurd healthcare plan and make transfer payments to the DREGS of our society???

I want to preserve my wealth!!!

ODShowtime
08-31-2004, 03:03 PM
You should worry more abour preserving your neck.

alsip
08-31-2004, 03:36 PM
Threats are totally unnecessary.

Wayne L.
08-31-2004, 04:19 PM
The Kerry supporters are too damn sensitive it's laughable whining about delegates at the RNC supporting Bush wearing these Purple Heart bandages mocking John Kerry's Vietnam service when the Democrats HAVE been bashing President Bush nonstop about his last name to his National Guard duty so all is fair in politics.

alsip
08-31-2004, 04:41 PM
Actually, I attempted to engage a few of the "Bush protestors" in NYC in debate, asking them why they support John Kerry. Curiously, none of these morons could articulate a cogent response.

WHY? Because John Kerry doesn't stand for a damn thing. He's been a US Senator for 19yrs, and has his name attached to no legislation. He's a "limousine liberal" who has one accomplishment - marrying well. This explains why he's slipping in the polls.

Bush's speech this Thur will "put the nail in the coffin."

Bush will be re-elected!!!!

Satan
08-31-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by alsip

Bush's speech this Thur will "put the nail in the coffin."

Yeah.... his own.

Diver Down NJ
08-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Satan
As a veteran of the first war, I think it's incredibly disrespectful to mock the Purple Heart, especially while supporting a deserting draft dodger, who has now ran against three veterans and attacked the service of all three.

If you think the purpose of the bandages was to mock the Purple Heart, you are truly a moron.

Satan
08-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Diver Down NJ
If you think the purpose of the bandages was to mock the Purple Heart, you are truly a moron.

Kerry earned his Purple Hearts in combat as did any other veteran. So if you insult him, you insult them all. There ain't no other way around it.

Cathedral
08-31-2004, 08:15 PM
Kerry earned his Purple Hearts in combat as did any other veteran. So if you insult him, you insult them all. There ain't no other way around it.

You're right, he did earn it...after he ran, and in true Kerry fashion changed his mind and came back for his buddy who he knocked off the boat giving it gas in the first place.

I'll take the word of 260 guys over 10 that have their buns spread wide open for some Ketchup.

Give me a break, his war stories are so full of holes it isn't even funny.

Here's a news flash for you all...The voters aren't buying his bullshit either.

Bring on election day!

Viva La Bush in '04..............................................

jhale667
08-31-2004, 08:22 PM

Yep, I think it's absolutely despicable. This guy actually had the balls to go to 'Nam...he volunteered! Bush was off partying and using Daddy's influence to get out of it. So what, there should be a grading scale for combat injuries? "We're sorry private, even though you WERE injured in combat, your wound didn't take enough stitches to qualify for a purple heart". The fact that he spoke out against the war once he got back only means he was excercising the 1st amendment rights he WENT AND FOUGHT FOR, so get over it. The reason republicans are doing shit like this is because they realize if the debate goes back to the REAL issues, they're screwed!

Seshmeister
08-31-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by alsip
John Kerry is a wealth confiscationist.

Why should I have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to the federal gov't, so that Kerry can fund his absurd healthcare plan and make transfer payments to the DREGS of our society???

I want to preserve my wealth!!!

You do realise that you will have to pay for Iraq?

BigBadBrian
08-31-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Seshmeister
You do realise that you will have to pay for Iraq?

We'll just halt our dues to the UN and cease the subsidies to all the countries sucking our economic tit for a few years. :gulp:

freak
08-31-2004, 10:52 PM
The stink the Dems raised about the bandaids was stupid.

Had they kept their mouths shut, no-one would have even known about it and they wouldn't be the subject of a lot of snickers today.

A snide little, "Oh, isn't that special" attitude would have countered it 100 percent and made the Republicans look foolish.

As it is now, some Dems are out there making "ridiculing the blood shed by Americans who fought for our freedom" arguments. This is the worst argument a liberal Democrat can make. It's totally out of character and it plays right into Republican hands.

Every incident like this makes me feel even better about washing my hands of the Democratic party in 1992.

Cathedral
09-01-2004, 05:06 AM
Democrats have become nothing but a bunch of crying ankle biting dweebs.

It wasn't an insult to vets who earned their purple hearts, it was a stab at Kerry who turned on his service in Nam, and his fellow soldiers so he could embrace it now as he "Reports for Duty".

Kerry is such a fuck head, and he's a filthy rich fuck head who could care fucking less about anyone not in his non-paying tax bracket.