PDA

View Full Version : Dean Pokes Fun at Himself with Letterman 'Top 10'

Sarge
01-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Dean Pokes Fun at Himself with Letterman 'Top 10'
Fri Jan 23, 8:23 AM ET Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Democratic presidential hopeful Howard Dean (news - web sites) poked fun at his fist-pumping outburst in his concession speech after Monday's Iowa caucuses by delivering a self-mocking Top Ten on David Letterman's CBS "Late Show" on Thursday.

Dean, who had led the polls before finishing a distant third in Iowa, videotaped the "Ways I, Howard Dean, Can Turn Things Around," in a Portsmouth, New Hampshire diner near a campaign stop he was making ahead of next week's primary.

The list included, No. 10 - "Switch to decaf," No. 4 - "Start working out and speaking with an Austrian accent," and No. 1 - "Oh, I don't know - maybe fewer crazy, red-faced rants?"

The "Late Show" skewered Dean on Tuesday, the night after his surprising Iowa defeat with "Top 10 Howard Dean Excuses," which included, No. 8 - "Weekend before the caucus, wasted 55 crucial hours marrying Britney Spears," No. 6 - "Due to fatigue on campaign trail, kissed hands and shook babies," and No. 2 - "Bad idea to keep asking self, 'What would Dukakis do?'"

Catfish
01-23-2004, 03:22 PM
That was a good move by Deano.
I think CBS should get an assist if this winds up helping him.

FORD
01-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Top Ten Ways I, Howard Dean, Can Turn Things Around

10. "Switch to decaf"

9. "Unveil new slogan: 'Vote for Dean and get one dollar off you next purchase at Blimpie'"

8. "Marry Rachel on final episode of 'Friends'"

7. "Don't change a thing -- it's going great"

6. "Show a little more skin"

5. "Go on 'American Idol' and give 'em a taste of these pipes"

4. "Start working out and speaking with Austrian accent"

3. "I can't give specifics yet, but it involves Ted Danson"

2. "Fire the staffer who suggested we do this lousy Top Ten list instead of actually campaigning"

1. "Oh, I don't know -- maybe fewer crazy, redfaced rants"

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/top_ten/

FORD
01-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Catfish
That was a good move by Deano.
I think CBS should get an assist if this winds up helping him.

I'm sure David Letterman would be happy to know he made a contribution to removing the Bush Fraudministration.

And you are right that this was a good move. Dean took ownership of the scream in all of his appearances yesterday. From a town meeting which was carried on C-SPAN, to the debate, to Letterman, to the Diane Sawyer interview. He has neutralized the media exaggeration of the speech - not that a truly objective media would have ever hyped it to this extent anyway.

John Ashcroft
01-23-2004, 09:21 PM
Come on dude. Do you really want someone who "thinks" from the heart first running the country? His words, not mine. And I'm not spinning this, I'm serious here. And the speech really hasn't got much to do with this assessment either. It's just another example of how Dean really isn't Presidential material.

I can speak from the heart here. I get a little excitable myself sometimes. The people who know me know this. It's really a shortcoming, and I'm working on it as best I can. I'd love to simply say that I'll stop, but it's not that easy. (And I consider pretty disciplined). It's wonderful when I can harness it, but it's also leads to many roadblocks when trying to advance. It's hard to take an emotional person serious. It's also hard to make that leap of faith to invest the faith necessary to let guys like us lead. Volatile personalities don't mix well with delicate situations, and it's certainly safe to say running the United States is bound to run into delicate situations on a daily basis. Dean might make a good think tank leader, but the decisions should be left to more level headed individuals.

FORD
01-24-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by John Ashcroft
Come on dude. Do you really want someone who "thinks" from the heart first running the country? His words, not mine. And I'm not spinning this, I'm serious here. And the speech really hasn't got much to do with this assessment either. It's just another example of how Dean really isn't Presidential material.

I can speak from the heart here. I get a little excitable myself sometimes. The people who know me know this. It's really a shortcoming, and I'm working on it as best I can. I'd love to simply say that I'll stop, but it's not that easy. (And I consider pretty disciplined). It's wonderful when I can harness it, but it's also leads to many roadblocks when trying to advance. It's hard to take an emotional person serious. It's also hard to make that leap of faith to invest the faith necessary to let guys like us lead. Volatile personalities don't mix well with delicate situations, and it's certainly safe to say running the United States is bound to run into delicate situations on a daily basis. Dean might make a good think tank leader, but the decisions should be left to more level headed individuals.

Gore kept himself low key in public appearances and they labeled him "stiff", "wooden", and a "robot".

Dean acts like a normal human being and he's criticized for having emotions. What should he do? Try to act like a complete imbecile like Junior??

As Dean himself says, I'd rather have someone fighting for what is right over what is popular. Dean's alleged emotions have been overhyped by the media. Check out the thread I started today. People are taking another look at that speech and realizing it was nothing more than I guy trying to minimize a loss that had to hurt and rally his supporters for the next battle, which was only a week away.

Look at it in a military metaphor. General Patton sure as Hell made some emotional speeches, didn't he? Did it prevent him from leading his Army?

BigBadBrian
01-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Gore kept himself low key in public appearances and they labeled him "stiff", "wooden", and a "robot".

Dean acts like a normal human being and he's criticized for having emotions. What should he do? Try to act like a complete imbecile like Junior??

I suggest he act like a pickled fish like Kennedy. :gulp: