PDA

View Full Version : At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash With Police

BigBadBrian
09-01-2004, 10:08 AM
At Least 900 Arrested in City as Protesters Clash With Police
By DIANE CARDWELL and MARC SANTORA
NY Times
Published: September 1, 2004

series of demonstrations rippled across Manhattan last night when protesters tried to converge on the Republican National Convention, as a day of planned civil disobedience erupted into clashes with police officers and led to the arrest of more than 900 people.

The wave of confrontations - which included a brawl with the police at the New York Public Library, marauding crowds cursing at delegates in Midtown and the detention of hundreds of protesters near ground zero - created a day of disorder in a convention week already marked by sustained protests against the Bush administration and the war in Iraq.

Yesterday's incidents stood in contrast to the enormous, mostly orderly antiwar march that drew hundreds of thousands of people to Manhattan on Sunday. Many of those protesting yesterday had purposefully avoided seeking permits for their rallies but had publicized their plans well in advance, leading hordes of police officers in cars, bikes, scooters and vans to flood various parts of the city primed to pre-empt disorder before it could occur. The day's arrests brought the convention-related total to more than 1,460.

The protesters gathered at various locations, many with the goal of descending on the convention site at Madison Square Garden. But at the various staging areas - near ground zero, in Union Square, in Herald Square near Macy's, and outside the New York Public Library - the police began making arrests, sending the crowds into a frenzy. These confrontations followed several other events, some of which went off without incident, and the police said their aggressive actions prevented even more widespread disruptions.

"Today a number of anti-R.N.C. activities failed to materialize, including a takeover of the lobby of the Warwick Hotel, perhaps because of the police presence there," Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly told reporters at an early evening news conference.

Protesters and civil liberties lawyers expressed concerns over what they said had been unfair and overzealous tactics in dealing with demonstrators who may not have had permits but were not violent.

"It's an example of the police suckering the protesters," said Donna Lieberman, executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, referring to the arrest of some 200 protesters who said they thought they were abiding by an agreement they had negotiated with the police as they marched from ground zero on Fulton Street.

"It was a bait-and-switch tactic," she added, "where they approved a demonstration and the protesters kept up their end of the bargain. They undermined people's confidence in the police, and that's a serious problem as we go forward."

The day, loosely organized by an anarchist collective called the A31 Action Coalition, began slowly, with highly anticipated events proving less than fractious. Indeed, the cat-and-mouse between the protesters and the police started early.

Responding to word that anarchists planned to somehow disrupt the morning's trading, hundreds of police officers flooded the blocks surrounding the New York Stock Exchange before 8 a.m.

Roughly an hour later, dozens of officers responded to an obscure corner near the exchange at South William Street and Mill Lane, where protesters had stretched a ball of yarn across the street.

Within minutes, 14 young people sat handcuffed and seated with their backs to a wall near the short pedestrian mall, surrounded by three or four times as many police officers. Several balls of red and yellow yarn were strewn about the street, and a boom box sat nearby with a sign on a bedsheet reading "Celebrate the Power of Money." One of the protesters wore a pinstriped suit and a beret.

Paul J. Browne, a police spokesman, said of the protesters, "A lot of them are from out of town, and I think it was reflected in the choice of intersections."

But the protests gained intensity throughout the day, and by late afternoon, the tenor had clearly changed as the police appeared to adjust their tactics to deal with the spontaneous eruptions throughout the city and the crowds of demonstrators grew increasingly volatile as the arrests mounted.

Warham
09-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Peaceful demonstration you say?

JCOOK
09-01-2004, 10:33 AM
This is the shit Ive' been waiting for good quality family entertaianment.

Sgt Schultz
09-01-2004, 10:42 AM
All those police overtime hours, all the traffic headaches, all the wasted print and air time....why?

Selfishness

These protests won't affect one bit of change. Won't change a single mind (in favor of the protesters) - won't accomplish ANYTHING. The only reason they do this is because they enjoy it. They are lavished with attention from the lefties in the press. They delude themsleves into thinking they are important, that they are making a difference. What a crock.

If professional left-wing protesters really wanted to make a tangible difference in their world they would spend their money and time volunteering in the towns in which they live to try and positively affect the lives of people in need.

FORD
09-01-2004, 10:46 AM
The so called "anarchists" aren't left wing protestors. They're government operatives and their mission is to create exactly the reactions seen in this thread.

Warham
09-01-2004, 11:19 AM
No, they're treehuggers.

Ally_Kat
09-01-2004, 11:22 AM
say that. I know many kids who've gone to protests and started fights with the cops. Guess they're gov't operatives, too.

The worst one I've seen so far has to be when this police officer was sitting on his scooter in front of a crowd and they charged the scooter yelling something about him being a Nazi solider. They pulled the bike from under him and last I heard he had to be rush to the hospital.

Satan
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Warham
No, they're treehuggers.

Treehugging pacifists challenging excessively armed police???

Do you realize how absurd of a statement that is?

Warham
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah, treehuggers are absurd, but they wanna do what they wanna do.

Satan
09-01-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah, Hell forbid someone stand up for the rights that the BCE is trying to strip from YOU.

Warham
09-01-2004, 11:28 AM
What rights would those be, Satan?

JCOOK
09-01-2004, 11:45 AM
I guess the asshole who kicked the shit out of the cop and sent him to the hospital was exercizing his rights

Warham
09-01-2004, 11:47 AM
I heard 14 or so people were arrested for assaulting police officers.

Is that a right that Kerry supporters have that Bush supporters don't have?

:D

Big Train
09-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Fuck off with the BCE operatives thing...that is just crazy. I saw on CNN this one Kerry protester shouting at Madison Square. A Bush supporter shows up about 4 feet from him, DOES THAT EXACT SAME THING, for a grand total of 5 seconds before Kerry supporter punches him in the face.

Funny thing was, the guy thought he was throwing a bomb, but the Bush guy kinda stood there, didn't go down or get wobbly. They both couldn't be anymore than 120 pounds apiece.

DLR'sCock
09-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Well I agree that the people that are getting out of line and causing harm to people should be dealt with according to the letter of the law, there is no point to senseless violence. At the same time while there are protestors who have acted violently or illegally without real legitimate threat or provocation, there have also been police officers that have also acted out violently without legitimate threat or provocation....

Oh, and I am sure there are some operatives out there trying to fuck things up....

But, all people, and anyone including protestors, police officers, and operatives or perhaps pro-bush people that act out violently to cause harm to other people, to incite riot, or destroy property should ALL be dealt with accordingly to the letter of the law....

Of course, that doesn't always happen...

Warham
09-02-2004, 07:29 AM
I haven't heard of one officer who attacked somebody without reason.

JCOOK
09-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Well at least they caught the little cocksucker who put the cop in the hospital. Turns out this piece of shit is just a fucking street criminal.

DLR'sCock
09-03-2004, 12:11 PM
There was even one arrest, where there was a demonstration outside of a HUMMER dealership. Get this, 15 reporters showed up, 40 cops, and well get this.....only ONE protestor, ONE.....the lead officer told her, yes afemale, that she was blocking traffic, but she was alone on the sidewalk, and not in anyone's way. Well, the officer said, "this is your only warning", and when she replied, "but I'm not blocking traffic, I am on the sidewalk, and alone", he then said, "ok you have been warned and arrested her....".

There have been over 2000 arrests, and granted I am sure there are some that are legal arrests, but there are plenty of illegal arrests, incuding people just watching, LEGAL OBSERVERS with proven documentation, and even reporters being arrested...

People who should have been let out within a couple of hours or not even held, have been held for more than 24 hours, or even over 48 hours....and they are holding them at the 57th st pier which is an abandoned facility, which is non-hospitable for humans, filled with asbestos, and oil puddles all over the place...

Also, reporters from the "mainstream media", are complaining because they have written stories after witnessinbg illegal arrests, and police abuse of US citizens, ir protestors, legal observers, reporters, and onlookers, BUT THE STORIES ARE NOT BEING REPORTED BY THE MEDIA OULETS....all of which are corporately owned....

But, hey that's the kinda shit Hitler loved....and Totalitarian USSR...maybe it's not quite to the extreme, but when is enough, enough???

Satan
09-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock

But, hey that's the kinda shit Hitler loved....and Totalitarian USSR...maybe it's not quite to the extreme, but when is enough, enough???

Given the ignorance displayed on this board and elsewhere, I would say enough will not be enough until it is too late to turn back :(

Using the old "frog in boiling water" analogy, I'd say were at about 185 degrees right now and the right wing frogs still think it's a hot tub. Now this kinda heat doesn't bother the Devil, but for mortals it can be most lethal. And any impartial observer of NYC (or even the cage in Boston for that matter) can see that "lethal" is a fitting description.