PDA

View Full Version : Motion to Dismiss

Ally_Kat
09-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Motion to Dismiss
Prosecution to Ask Judge to Drop Charge Against Kobe Bryant

By Ellen Davis and Bill Redeker

E A G L E, Colo., Sept. 1, 2004 — Prosecutors will file a motion this afternoon to dismiss the sexual assault charge against Kobe Bryant, according to sources familiar with the case.

The motion will say that the request is based on an agreement between the prosecution and the alleged victim. The young woman has told prosecutors she is no longer willing to testify, sources told ABC News.

Prosecutors will ask that the charge be dismissed with prejudice, meaning that it can never be brought again.

Judge Terry Ruckriegle must approve the request in order to end the criminal prosecution. He will almost certainly grant this motion.

Opening statements in the case were expected to begin Tuesday, with prospective jurors being interviewed this week.

The Los Angeles Lakers star was accused of raping the young woman on June 30, 2003, at an Eagle resort where she worked and he was a guest. He pleaded not guilty to one felony count of sexual assault.

Bryant, 26, has admitted having sex with the woman, who was 19 at the time, but claims it was consensual.

If convicted of felony sexual assault, Bryant could have faced four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine up to $750,000.

The 11th-hour pullout from the criminal case can only be seen as an embarrassment for the embattled prosecution, which has struggled for months against defense claims that DNA evidence indicated the alleged victim had sex with another man after her encounter with Bryant. The woman has denied that.

Her attorneys complained her privacy was violated when a court clerk mistakenly posted sealed documents about the case on a Web site. The documents revealed the alleged victim's name and defense allegations about her sexual history.

The alleged victim filed a civil suit against Bryant on Aug. 10, seeking monetary damages of $75,000.

Ally_Kat
09-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Ally_Kat
The young woman has told prosecutors she is no longer willing to testify, sources told ABC News.

Hello

Warham
09-01-2004, 06:06 PM
She doesn't want her sexual history drug out for the world to see.

Plus, her credibility has been shot, especially after filing a civil suit against Bryant before the criminal trial hasn't even started. It reeks of her trying to get cash from him even if he really is guilty.

ALinChainz
09-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Bryant attorneys huddle amid reports that case will be dismissed

By JON SARCHE, Associated Press Writer

September 1, 2004

EAGLE, Colo. (AP) -- Attorneys in the Kobe Bryant case hastily assembled behind closed doors in the courtroom Wednesday amid reports prosecutors will drop the rape charges against the NBA star.

The prosecution will drop the case as early as Thursday, according to media outlets including MSNBC, ABC and Court TV, all citing unidentified sources.

Prosecution spokeswoman Krista Flannigan declined comment, as did attorneys for the 20-year-old accuser. Defense attorneys did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbmdmam0wBF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-bryantcase&prov=ap&type=lgns

guwapo_rocker
09-01-2004, 09:15 PM
I guess she shouldn't of fucked another guy right after she was

"raped" huh?

lms2
09-01-2004, 09:54 PM
LMAO

How much money do you think he gave her to shut up and go away?

SoCalChelle
09-01-2004, 11:19 PM
So, now that there's no more criminal case, I'm assuming she won't be protected from the media anymore...is that right?

Flash Bastard
09-01-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by SoCalChelle
So, now that there's no more criminal case, I'm assuming she won't be protected from the media anymore...is that right?

Was she ever protected from the media? Her face has appeared on websites and radio talk show hosts have identified her by name. Not to mention the incompetence of the court clerks in releasing confidential info about her, once, twice... three times.

I don't know if she was really raped or not, but I'm worried about the kind of message this sends to rape victims. Keep you fucking mouth shut or be ridiculed, I guess.

If I were a feminist, I'd be homicidal right now.

lms2
09-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Well, I guess there are several ways to look at it. Rape is a serious crime, and the victims need more protection. Just to report a rape is difficult, but the "rape kit" and "examine" routine is just like getting raped again. If that isn't enough to scare the victim into keeping her mouth shut, the fact that she will have face they guy at trial is pretty daunting. Then there is the fact that 50% of the people will automatically say she was asking for it, without knowing not even one fact. All that aside, just having your friends and family know is difficult enough.

On the other hand, there are alot of women that will cry rape for attention. Especially against someone rich and famous. I have also known women that have: 1)cried rape to get even with a guy for refusing her advances; 2) gotten drunk by letting a man they didn't know buy them drinks all night long, going back to his place with him, doing who knows what until they pass out, and then cry rape because they have a guilty conscience about it the next morning when he treats her like trash; 3)end up pregnant and not wanting to tell mommy she did something wrong; and 4)and finally, consensual sex, and the guy just happens to be barely of legal age, and the girl barely not. sure conviction on that one.

My opinion regarding the media and this girl is this is the quickest way for her to get out of the media. But I could be wrong. The media mongers are filthy pigs anyway.

:)

SoCalChelle
09-02-2004, 12:09 AM
As a rule, real rape victims do NOT go out and have sex with ANYONE else right after. Married women that get raped don't even want to have sex with their own husband for a while. So we're supposed to believe that she was brutally raped and then immediately ran out and fucked some other random guy? And then the civil suit being filed before the criminal case was even under way....Women like her give the rest of us a bad name. And, yes, she just made it that much harder for REAL rape victims.

lms2
09-02-2004, 12:11 AM
I guess she better not come post on your thread either...:D

SoCalChelle
09-02-2004, 12:13 AM
LOL, probably not a good idea. Unless she's a Roth fan ;)

lms2
09-02-2004, 12:20 AM
Something tells me she's a fan of a lot of guys. ;)