PDA

View Full Version : DLR Band CD Review

WARF
09-01-2004, 07:52 PM
DLR Band CD review
Overall rating: 8

David Lee Roth is back!! No, not the vegas lounge singer, but the charismatic, witty, mofo that ruled the 80's. You see... if you go to any dictionary and look up the word "FRONTMAN" you'll see a picture of Diamond Dave, shit-eatin' grin and all, GUARAN-TEED!! Van Halen fans and Guitar ROCK fans know what they want, and it's NOT Van Halen III................ Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........Uh? Arrgh...BARF!!! Sorry I fell asleep, woke up and puked just thinking of that piece of crap. What I'm trying to say is that THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN and apparently Roth was listening, and he delivers!

This CD comes at you like a freight train at the speed of light. And it's headed directly for your skull!! From the opener "Slam Dunk," the ass-kicking begins, and it doesn't end until the last second of the closer "Black Sand." To handle the guitar for this album, Roth hired 3 guitarists; the most known name is John Lowery, who is a member of Rob Halford's shameful TWO (Glad it's such a short name, I could hold the vomit). I never thought much of Lowery until now, and it became apparent that either A) Eddie Van Halen's guitar style has become so dated that anyone can do it, or B) This dude CAN play. We all know the answer to that, or at least I do, and that's all that matters. Check out the opener "Slam Dunk," or "Counter-Blast," where Lowery manages to take your head off.

Also handling guitar work is the recently departed Michael Hartman, whose style is very original - he's certainly a virtuoso. Check out "INDEEDIDO" (MetalGod's Pick) and "King Of the Hill" for an example of his guitar prowess. And last but not least is Terry Kilgore who played on Diamond Dave's last solo album, he is a real good guitar player, more on the bluesy side of shred (check out "Right Tool For The Job"), but it works!

Roth's vocals sound surpringly good and he's singing in the Fair Warning era style. The drumming is very cool also. This album is packed with catchy anthem-style songs that can easily be hits, a couple of bluesy songs, along with one or two fillers. Bottom Line: If you like Van Halen, since Van Halen decided to turn into REM or Fag-Halen, get this CD instead. If you like Roth, or if you want GUITAR ROCK that PACKS a PUNCH and kicks you right in the ASS, GET this CD. 'Nuff Said -- I'm going to Scores!

-MetalGod

http://www.houseofshred.com/reviews/dlrrev1.htm

Figs
09-01-2004, 08:01 PM
I haven't heard any of this album, but I think I will pick it up on eBay.

Fag-Halen LOL!!

DeadOrAlive
09-01-2004, 11:45 PM
SLAM DUNK!!!

WARF
09-03-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Figs
I haven't heard any of this album, but I think I will pick it up on eBay.

Fag-Halen LOL!!

You haven't heard the best Van Halen album since 1984?!?!?!

Figs
09-03-2004, 03:55 PM
I must shamefully admit that I have not. A lot of people here say it's real good, so I will get it soon.

badhorsie
09-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Its a tough one to find in stores.

Ebay or searching the used bins at various cd places are your best bet.

MAKE A NEW FUCKING RECORD DLR!

DeadOrAlive
09-10-2004, 11:00 PM
again... SLAM DUNK!!!!!

Loons The Great
05-25-2006, 12:36 PM
Got basic skills, the kind that CHILL!!!!!!!

Shaun Ponsonby
05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
"Let the good times roll
My game is better than ever
Winners, they come and go
Legends...they're forever"

Big Troubles
05-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Blacklight is the only song that sounds dated. Everything else is great. In fact, some of Dave's BEST work.

trueblue
05-31-2006, 03:39 AM
I got the DLR Band cd back in 2000, from Amazon for $22(including shipping)....quite expensive, but i'd buy it even if it cost a hundred dollars....it's that good....I mean this sounded like a welcome return to form after YFLM, an album that gave me terribly mixed feelings..YFLM wasn't awful, but very annoying and disappointing...

when i first heard DLR Band, i wasn't overly impressed, cos on the first take it sounded too frenetic and rushed to me(too much like the runaway 'freight train' that WARF pointed out)...and Dave's vocals sounded too muddy n buried in the mix on some songs..and too much growling vocals...but frankly, on subsequent listens, i've come to love the album hugely....the guitar-playing is top-notch and i m convinced that John, Terry and Mike(RIP) suited Dave's overall style much better than Steve Vai(a guy that never impressed me much)..
and the songwriting/lyrics on this album are loads of fun, deliberately sleazy, sharp and as direct and humorous as only Dave can get....from start to finish, an absolute rollicking tornado of bluesy-rock metal tunes...DLR Band displaced EEAS from the #1 spot in my book of DLR solo records and is now my favourite....and hey, the cover makes you wonder if that's the kind of all-American woman Dave would say "Lose the Dress, (Keep the Shoes)" to, or anybody's fantasy of 'Weekend with the Babysitter"....

trueblue
05-31-2006, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Big Troubles
Blacklight is the only song that sounds dated. Everything else is great. In fact, some of Dave's BEST work.

you really think so BT? 'dated' in what way exactly?...i actually still love the song, maybe mainly because it's got echoes of CVH and some Fair Warning flavor to it...and Dave's compressed screeching and yowling sound really zany n fun...the only song i still can't like is Wawazat, and Little Texas is way over-rated by some fans.. the remaining dozen are dazzlingly brilliant...

Dirty Duck
06-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by WARF
DLR Band CD review
Overall rating: 8

David Lee Roth is back!! No, not the vegas lounge singer, but the charismatic, witty, mofo that ruled the 80's. You see... if you go to any dictionary and look up the word "FRONTMAN" you'll see a picture of Diamond Dave, shit-eatin' grin and all, GUARAN-TEED!! Van Halen fans and Guitar ROCK fans know what they want, and it's NOT Van Halen III................ Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........Uh? Arrgh...BARF!!! Sorry I fell asleep, woke up and puked just thinking of that piece of crap. What I'm trying to say is that THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN and apparently Roth was listening, and he delivers!

This CD comes at you like a freight train at the speed of light. And it's headed directly for your skull!! From the opener "Slam Dunk," the ass-kicking begins, and it doesn't end until the last second of the closer "Black Sand." To handle the guitar for this album, Roth hired 3 guitarists; the most known name is John Lowery, who is a member of Rob Halford's shameful TWO (Glad it's such a short name, I could hold the vomit). I never thought much of Lowery until now, and it became apparent that either A) Eddie Van Halen's guitar style has become so dated that anyone can do it, or B) This dude CAN play. We all know the answer to that, or at least I do, and that's all that matters. Check out the opener "Slam Dunk," or "Counter-Blast," where Lowery manages to take your head off.

Also handling guitar work is the recently departed Michael Hartman, whose style is very original - he's certainly a virtuoso. Check out "INDEEDIDO" (MetalGod's Pick) and "King Of the Hill" for an example of his guitar prowess. And last but not least is Terry Kilgore who played on Diamond Dave's last solo album, he is a real good guitar player, more on the bluesy side of shred (check out "Right Tool For The Job"), but it works!

Roth's vocals sound surpringly good and he's singing in the Fair Warning era style. The drumming is very cool also. This album is packed with catchy anthem-style songs that can easily be hits, a couple of bluesy songs, along with one or two fillers. Bottom Line: If you like Van Halen, since Van Halen decided to turn into REM or Fag-Halen, get this CD instead. If you like Roth, or if you want GUITAR ROCK that PACKS a PUNCH and kicks you right in the ASS, GET this CD. 'Nuff Said -- I'm going to Scores!

-MetalGod

http://www.houseofshred.com/reviews/dlrrev1.htm

Great review but to say his vocals sounded like the Fair Warning era is..well...weird. The vocals just dont always sound like Dave.