PDA

View Full Version : Young Republicans Support Iraq War, but Not Willing to Join the Fight

DLR'sCock
09-02-2004, 02:59 PM
http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/9556221.htm

Young Republicans Support Iraq War, but Not Willing to Join the Fight
By Adam Smeltz
Knight Ridder Newspapers

Wednsday 01 September 2004

NEW YORK - Young Republicans gathered here for their party's national convention are united in applauding the war in Iraq, supporting the U.S. troops there and calling the U.S. mission a noble cause.

But there's no such unanimity when they're asked a more personal question: Would you be willing to put on the uniform and go to fight in Iraq?

In more than a dozen interviews, Republicans in their teens and 20s offered a range of answers. Some have friends in the military in Iraq and are considering enlisting; others said they can better support the war by working politically in the United States; and still others said they think the military doesn't need them because the U.S. presence in Iraq is sufficient.

"Frankly, I want to be a politician. I'd like to survive to see that," said Vivian Lee, 17, a war supporter visiting the convention from Los Angeles,

Lee said she supports the war but would volunteer only if the United States faced a dire troop shortage or "if there's another Sept. 11."

"As long as there's a steady stream of volunteers, I don't see why I necessarily should volunteer," said Lee, who has a cousin deployed in the Middle East.

In an election season overwhelmed by memories of the Vietnam War, the U.S. military's newest war ranks supreme among the worries confronting much of Generation Y'ers. Iraq is their war.

"If there was a need presented, I would go," said Chris Cusmano, a 21-year-old member of the College Republicans organization from Rocky Point, N.Y. But he said he hasn't really considered volunteering.

At age 16, Chase Carpenter has.

"It's always in the back of my mind - to enlist," Carpenter, a self-described moderate Republican visiting Manhattan this week from Santa Monica, Calif., said Wednesday on the convention floor. He said he's torn over whether he'd join the military if he were 18.

Others said they could contribute on the home front.

"I physically probably couldn't do a whole lot" in Iraq, said Tiffanee Hokel, 18, of Webster City, Iowa, who called the war a moral imperative. She knows people posted in Iraq, but she didn't flinch when asked why she wouldn't go.

"I think I could do more here," Hokel said, adding that she's focusing on political action that supports the war and the troops.

"We don't have to be there physically to fight it," she said.

Similarly, 20-year-old Jeff Shafer, a University of Pennsylvania student, said vital work needs to be done in the United States. There are Republican policies to maintain and protect and an economy to sustain, Shafer said.

Then there's Paula Villescaz, a 15-year-old from Carmichael, Calif. who supports Bush and was all ears Wednesday afternoon at the GOP's Youth Convention in Madison Square Garden. She doesn't support the war, but she supports the troops and thinks the United States "needs to stay the course" now that it's immersed.

If Iraq is still a U.S. issue when she's 18, Villescaz added, she'll give serious thought to volunteering.

"I'm in college right now, but who knows?" said Matthew Vail, a 25-year-old from Huntsville, Ala., who works with Students for Bush. He said he might consider enlisting after he finishes his degree at the University of North Carolina, but not until then.

"The bug may get me after college," he said.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Like YOU are ready to fight ???

Give me a fucking break...:rolleyes:

DLR'sCock
09-02-2004, 03:09 PM
If you want to send people somewhere to be killed and kill then YOU should share the SAME direct consequences....

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 03:33 PM
What, "KILLED" ??

FORD
09-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ELVIS
What, "KILLED" ??

If you're convinced that God wants Bush to take over the world, then why would you question God's will for you to die for the glory of PNAC?

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Someone has to be the leader!

Holy shit!

:elvis:

Big Train
09-02-2004, 04:21 PM
What a spacy theory that is!!!

Then EVERY Democrat in the US, if they respect themselves and what they say the believe, should be in NYC RIGHT NOW or they really don't believe what they are saying. Ford, where are you standing right now?

There are plenty of Republicans in the armed services right now.

Satan
09-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Someone has to be the leader!

Holy shit!

Silly Mr. Presley.....

Now if you have read your Bible, you know exactly who the next world leader will be working for :cool:

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Not quite...

Sgt Schultz
09-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
If you want to send people somewhere to be killed and kill then YOU should share the SAME direct consequences....

This is Michael Mooreism at work. Our soldiers in Iraq are being sent there to be killed, right? If you support the war then YOU have to grab and gun and fight too, right? Hogwash.

If YOU don't think we should have liberated millions of people from totalitarianism then YOU should have to live in North Korea for awhile, that's the only way YOU'LL be allowed to have an opinion about it, right?

Big Train
09-02-2004, 04:51 PM
your right Sgt. Follow the logic further and ANY conflict you think America SHOULD get involved in, you have to. The Sudan or any of the other 7-10 wars currently going on in the world at any given time.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 04:52 PM
~Ha!~

knuckleboner
09-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz

If YOU don't think we should have liberated millions of people from totalitarianism

i don't think we intended to liberate millions...(at least not directly. it was a happy bi-product...;))

but i agree with the rest.

if everybody joined the military, who would make the butter? (or teach our kids, or fix my plumbing or....etc., etc.

in an all volunteer army, it's a weak argument to suggest that not enlisting removes one's ability to support military action.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner
in an all volunteer army, it's a weak argument to suggest that not enlisting removes one's ability to support military action.

Finally, a voice of reason...

Satan
09-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by knuckleboner

That's not the argument. The argument is that young Republicans, who are often the children of priveledge, such as Bush Jr was, support the actions because they KNOW that they will never be called on to enlist. Same with Congress. If memory serves me correctly, there are very few members of the House and Senate with children in the active military.

Sgt Schultz
09-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Satan
That's not the argument. The argument is that young Republicans, who are often the children of priveledge, such as Bush Jr was, support the actions because they KNOW that they will never be called on to enlist. Same with Congress. If memory serves me correctly, there are very few members of the House and Senate with children in the active military.

Children of priveledge? The Dems have just as many super-rich donors. In Vietnam a higher proportion of officers from upper middle class and rich families died or were wounded than in WWI or WWII. This notion that only the poor died in Vietnam, and now, is BS and I think you'll also find that the majority of people in the military are Republican.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 05:18 PM
. The argument is that young Republicans, who are often the children of priveledge

What the fuck are you talking about FORD ??

You are so far off the mark here, it's nauseating!

Fuck you and your views!

You are a prime example of the demise of the democratic party...

Ally_Kat
09-02-2004, 05:20 PM
young Republicans, who are often the children of priveledge

That's just f'in ignorant. Both sides have their silver spoon members, their middle-class members, and their not-so-fortunate members. Money has no holding on beliefs. It's not that you think a certain way until you reach a set amount in your bank account and then suddenly you are Republican. And the sad part of this all is that the other side thinks that everyone who votes or is registered Republican is insanely wealthy.

You need a wake up call. There are numerous kids enlistment age who support our current actions. Some of them are signing up, some of them are not. Some of them can't sign up for health or school reasons. Just because they support the war doesn't mean they are of priveledge.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 05:24 PM
FORD is lost...

Satan
09-02-2004, 05:28 PM
FORD is lost...

He is? :confused:

I thought he came back from vacation??

Ally_Kat
09-02-2004, 05:30 PM
Ford's lost vacation!

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 05:31 PM
LMAO!

DLR'sCock
09-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Sgt Schultz
This is Michael Mooreism at work. Our soldiers in Iraq are being sent there to be killed, right? If you support the war then YOU have to grab and gun and fight too, right? Hogwash.

If YOU don't think we should have liberated millions of people from totalitarianism then YOU should have to live in North Korea for awhile, that's the only way YOU'LL be allowed to have an opinion about it, right?

So I guess you will be the first in line(along with your kids) to FIGHT to liberate the 1.2 billion people in China???

Also, your point is total bullshit because if Bush said, "We are invading Iraq to FREE the people", the polls would indicate that Americans would not support it....

Is it good they were liberated?? Well, if they actually are then, that is a good thing, but Bush told the American people the US will invade Iraq because they have stockpiles of WMD's and are close to haing Nuclear weapons.....and they were constantly linking Iraq with 9-11...

Big Train
09-02-2004, 07:59 PM
this is becoming a redundant argument.

BigBadBrian
09-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Big Train
this is becoming a redundant argument.

DLR's Cock has a redundant brain. No originality whatsoever. Same for FORD and most of the other Lefties. knuckleboner and Guitar Shark are about the only ones who can debate logically. At least Phil is entertaining. :D

Sgt Schultz
09-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by DLR'sCock
So I guess you will be the first in line(along with your kids) to FIGHT to liberate the 1.2 billion people in China???

Also, your point is total bullshit because if Bush said, "We are invading Iraq to FREE the people", the polls would indicate that Americans would not support it....

Is it good they were liberated?? Well, if they actually are then, that is a good thing, but Bush told the American people the US will invade Iraq because they have stockpiles of WMD's and are close to haing Nuclear weapons.....and they were constantly linking Iraq with 9-11...

You aren't understanding my argument at all, which is probably my fault. I never said Bush argued for an Iraq invasion soley to liberate the Iraqi people.

My point is that leftists claim that those who support the war cannot do so unless they themselves gifght in the war or their kids do, which is a ridiculous argument. So, I countered it with a similarly ridiculous argument - although it must be treated seriously if one is to adopt your view.

DLR'sCock
09-03-2004, 12:23 PM
I am saying if one person believes that something is so important, I mean as important as possibly facing death, which you can never come back from....and if you are so willing to send someone else to fight in military battle, because it is of iminent imprtance and MUST be acted upon, and YOU ARE WILLING TO RISK THEIR LIVES FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE(and the lives of innocents who have nothing to do with it), THEN YOU SHOULD BE WILLING TO RISK YOUR OWN LIFE AND THAT OF THE LIFE OF YOUR OWN FAMILY...

It is not ludicrous or ridiculous, it is about ethics, morality, and regard for human life....to which so many people are so selfish as to throw away the lives of others so easily, while they save their own and then reap the rewards...

If you can send someone else's, then you better be prepared to send your own....

But, the system of entitlement, and selfsevice is not designed that way...such is the brilliance of blinding your public from the truth...

Big Train
09-03-2004, 01:16 PM
Allright DLR, when are we going to the Sudan? I'll head to the store and get some ammo. Your going right? genocide shouldn't happen right? Allright, cool, be ready in the morning....

ELVIS
09-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Join the Peace Corps, cock...

madraoul
09-07-2004, 01:05 AM
I was in our great US military for 8 years. What's the problem? Put your money where your mouth is.

Wayne L.
09-08-2004, 11:30 AM
There are young Democrats & young Republicans fighting in Iraq but they are all Americans fighting for freedom no matter whether they're rich or poor, black or white, redneck or yankee, this article is worthless just like the documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 by liberal loony & DNC poster boy Michael Moore who wouldn't fight for the U. S. for anything.

FORD
09-08-2004, 11:59 AM
Wayne needs to change medication again :rolleyes: