PDA

View Full Version : Does Dave Still Have the Scream?

Leadsinger777
09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
You all know the scream I'm talking about. It's the Diamond signature scream. I haven't heard much of it through the last couple of years.

Can he still do it? What do you think?

Baby cuz i't s SHOWTIME... "wahaaaaahaaaahh"

Loons The Great
09-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Dave always had it, always WILL have it. Sho' Nuff'! 'Nuff said.

Susie Q
09-05-2004, 01:41 AM
He did the last time I saw him back in October. He was right on the money!! I saw him at a Club in Clifton Park, NY. $20 to see him....

spmusicplyr
09-05-2004, 04:48 AM
He does it still....it's a hell of a lot different than before, but its there.

SoCalChelle
09-05-2004, 11:12 PM
He still had it New Year's Eve :)

beatsthatgoboom
09-06-2004, 03:21 PM
i he had it at the hammersmith apollo in febuary(i think that tight blue quilted elvis suit helped abit though,his meat and two veg looked like a fuckin camels foot!!)

badhorsie
09-06-2004, 07:34 PM
He did it only once at the show i saw last year and it wasnt quite what it used to be.

hamlet31
09-06-2004, 07:44 PM
He didn't have it when I saw him in '99. It was better when I saw him in 2001. In 2003 it was as good as it was back in the late '80s.

DaveTheSoulOfVH
09-06-2004, 07:49 PM
In Nagoya 2004 concert Dave does it a couple of times, DAVE IS STILL NUMBER 1

Leadsinger777
09-07-2004, 02:03 PM
So where can I hear it in some of the recent shows/songs?
Anything on this site recent? Any of the new songs have the scream?

It's nice to know he's still got it.

R

DaveTheSoulOfVH
09-07-2004, 06:18 PM
'Hot For Teacher' 3'50 3'58 5'00 5'10 Nagoya2004 (Mp3 DownLoad Section)

frenchie
09-07-2004, 06:23 PM
dave's voice is great. it's the voice of VAN HALEN!

spmusicplyr
09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SoCalChelle
He still had it New Year's Eve :)

you were there?? haha wow

spmusicplyr
09-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Well he does it...its not really anything special anymore.
Kinda lower...kinda scratchier...
He didnt do it a lot in ALAE (besides its showtime)..or YFLM or Actually any other album after that... EVen in thug pop, his latest original song...you'd think he'd belt out a few.

On new years eve and Disney house of blues in june of 03...june i dont recall hearing anything mindblowing

PHOENIX
09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm gonna send this one to DLR/VH songs and albums forum. Cause House of Music is only for non DLR/VH music talk.

ClubDave
09-07-2004, 07:47 PM
asking if he still has the scream is like asking if marvin gaye is still dead........you know he still has it man.......haha, good question though

degüello
09-08-2004, 01:43 AM
This thread needs to be Calderonized...

As I've said over at DiamondDavidLeeRoth.com (http://www.diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5), Calderone's posted many lengthy, detailed, exhaustive and incredibly accurate analyses of the several subtle variants of the DLR scream. Calderone's even detected Pro Tools cut 'n' paste jobs of the same scream on Diamond Dave, and posted mp3 samples of it for debate and discussion.

I'd go as far as to call Calderone a Great Rothian Scholar and Master Professor in DLR Screamology. The scientist of scream.

degüello
09-08-2004, 01:51 AM
But anyways, as Calderone's often pointed out, Dave completely stopped doing the trademark "whistle scream'' you're asking about, Leadsinger777, at some point in the nineties, or earlier (you'll have to consult Professor Calderone for exact years, song tracks, etc.).

He kind of replaced it with a newer sort of shriek-scream that's unlike anything he ever did with classic VH.

Dave's talked about this newer scream in interviews, saying that he's "found two whole new octaves" and loves it. (An example of it can be heard at the end section of Can't Get This Stuff No More.)

However, according to Calderone, the classic DLR whistle-scream has been resurfacing in recent times in Dave's set.

DaveTheSoulOfVH
09-08-2004, 08:51 AM
"Calderone's even detected Pro Tools cut 'n' paste jobs of the same scream on Diamond Dave, and posted mp3 samples of it for debate and discussion.

I'd go as far as to call Calderone a Great Rothian Scholar and Master Professor in DLR Screamology. The scientist of scream."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...nice !

spmusicplyr
09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Ugh i hate his new octave.

He's always screaming something like, " Go Go GO".....ugh it sounds horrible.

degüello
09-09-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
... hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...nice !

:D:D:D

Cheers, bud.

spmusicplyr
09-09-2004, 02:45 AM
where are the screams posted?

degüello
09-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by spmusicplyr
where are the screams posted?

They were up over at ddlr.com before the big crash; they're all gone now. I'm sure once Calderone sees this thread, he'll post them again, if you want.

Where is that crazy fucker, anyways?

spmusicplyr
09-09-2004, 04:02 AM
if anyone has them, post 'em.

Does anyone else not dig daves new octave that he discovered around the time of Your filthy little mouth? I liked it in the two new VH songs...but i dont think he uses it at the right times.
Does anybody know this " Go Go go" scream im talkin about?
It's annoying!
I just like the good old fashioned scream.
Does anyone know how to do them? I have gotten them out quite a few times, but im sure there are vocal exercises and methods to perfect them like he does so you can hit them every time you try.

spmusicplyr
09-09-2004, 04:02 AM
or does anybody know of anything online that i could read

Leadsinger777
09-09-2004, 11:24 AM
Actually, I don't care for the new "relacement" scream myself. It's sounds kind of strenuous to me. I do like the new lower octave though.
Dave sounds great when he's gettin deep and bluesy.
Anyway, Id idn't expect the thread to go that long.
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't able to get to the screams on the website either.

As for lessons... nah, the only way I can do the scream is when I'm really hoarse.

Speaking of two octave screams... anyone remember Flotsam and Jetsam?

Was that dubbed or natural?

Thanks again...

Rick

Carmine
09-09-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Leadsinger777
Speaking of two octave screams... anyone remember Flotsam and Jetsam?

Was that dubbed or natural?

Thanks again...

Rick
yeah I remember F/J, jason newsted is on the first album, was it doomsday for the deceiver?

spmusicplyr
09-09-2004, 11:50 PM
haha i didnt expeect it to go long either...

keep it going!

frenchie
09-10-2004, 08:07 AM
i was watchin' some videos on this site about david. about california girls in 1995, what happened to dave's voice at this time? it's awful.david lee roth had a problem ,no?

spmusicplyr
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
yea its funny...DLR's voice was horrible at that time.

I think he was focusing more on that new octave and forgetting
his regular voice.
Rock singing is damaging to the vocal cords over time, and i think that goofy high octave hurt his voice and t hats why he strains so much now.

Leadsinger777
09-10-2004, 01:17 PM
DLRoswgony - re: F/J - Yeah, I think 'Doomsday' was the first album. Newsted used to play bass for them. A friend of mine got me an audition with their guitarist Michael Gilbert. He was really great, and cool to talk to. He sent me some demo tracks a couple of years ago to write lyrics and melodies too, but it wasn't really the style I was looking for.
Anyway, do you think those dual octave screams were real or dubbed?

Frenchie - I don't know what happened on the Leno show back in 95. I listened to it, and I think Dave did what he 'thought' sounded good. Again, it sounded kind of strenuous to me, but I think he was also trying to be a bit "over the top" since he was promoting his Vegas show. Of course Dave's always a little bit "over the top"... OK... he's always way over the top.

I haven't heard his new CD and I haven't heard much about it.
How's Dave voice on this cover disc? Does he still have it?
Does he use the "replacement scream" often?

Obviously we shouldn't expect him to sound the same as he did in the 80's and early 90's. He was in his prime then. He's getting older... I guess we all are. (though there are some 15 yr olds hangin on this site too!) Kind of wish Rock and Roll was still Rock and Roll... but that's a discussion for another time and another board.

Anyone have a song or two from the new disc they want to send to me? :) - you know to try before I buy it...

Rick

Calderone
09-15-2004, 09:54 AM
Hi all ...i gotta go now ..but i will post the truth today later
all i can say now is that the man knew that the fans were
missin the scream but he wasnt able to pull it off cause
it was not in shape and he replaced it with the "go go go" new scream ...the fans found out this and decided to bring it back.
he tried on 2003 on shoobop,thug pop,she's lookin good (which have the same scream) but that was not correct..the king of the hill style scream sounds similar but its not the classic one ..the one he does there is the "unchained aaahahahahaha scream"
well...now in feb 2004 he got the classic scream back pretty well.i was amazed !!!
i ll be back soon ...... btw i can do any scream exactly

Leadsinger777
09-15-2004, 03:31 PM
Well, thanks for the update.
I would like to hear it all when you have it posted. Send me a PM or a Link.

Thanks... R

pete
09-15-2004, 03:34 PM
So where can I hear it in some of the recent shows/songs?
Anything on this site recent? Any of the new songs have the scream?

It's nice to know he's still got it.

R

Japan Jan 2004, available here. Best VH or DLR concert I've heard sound-wise. Dave tears up Hot for teacher. Screams all over the end.

Carmine
09-15-2004, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Leadsinger777
[B]DLRoswgony - re: F/J - Yeah, I think 'Doomsday' was the first album. Newsted used to play bass for them. A friend of mine got me an audition with their guitarist Michael Gilbert. He was really great, and cool to talk to. He sent me some demo tracks a couple of years ago to write lyrics and melodies too, but it wasn't really the style I was looking for.
Anyway, do you think those dual octave screams were real or dubbed?

they sounded real to me, I dug "doomday" out and gave it a listen the other day.

On the Diamond Dave disc, just grab it. Its not a rocker, but it is very good. He does a great version of "Soul Kitchen" on there, you wont be disappointed. BTW, I think his voice sounds the best on this CD...

diamondsgirl
09-22-2004, 01:24 PM
I love all the sounds he makes. I just played I'm the One, he's got all kinds of stuff going on. Grunts, groans, screams. The guys an animal. I dig it.

The last time I saw Dave he was screaming more than the prior year and I noticed he could hold it longer.

I love it. :)

DeadOrAlive
10-03-2004, 08:24 PM
He still does it. When I saw and MET him in December of 03, he was friggin awesome.

Mezro
10-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Can he still do it? What do you think?

Yes.

Mezro...kick him in the balls and see...

spmusicplyr
10-06-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Calderone
it was not in shape and he replaced it with the "go go go" new scream ...the fans found out this and decided to bring it back.
he tried on 2003 on shoobop,thug pop,she's lookin good (which have the same scream) but that was not correct..the king of the hill style scream sounds similar but its not the classic one ..the one he does there is the "unchained aaahahahahaha scream"
well...now in feb 2004 he got the classic scream back pretty well.i was amazed !!!

i hate the go go go scream.

diamondsgirl
10-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Calderone

I heard your screams over at DDLR.com. Anyone who has not should go check his shit out!

Calderone rocks! :cool:

Wolverine
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
sadly dave lost his scream in the early 90's....it maybe a little better now...but nothing like 78-88!!

DlocRoth
11-18-2004, 02:38 PM
No shit, look at Robert Plant.

Dave will never have the "Easy Street" screams again (best screams IMO)

However, the whistle scream is resurfacing this tour.

Dave's voice is like a fine wine, just gettin better.

DlocRoth
11-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Oh yeah, and P.S.

Not only does Calderone know everything about Dave's screams, he can also nail every one of 'em himself.

Hey Calderone, cover something off of "Sonrisa Solvaje"!!!!! :lookie:

fenway5150
11-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by DlocRoth
Dave will never have the "Easy Street" screams again (best screams IMO)

I'm glad someone mentioned this. That is, in my opinion as well, the best from Dave. I get the chills when I hear him hit those high notes at the end of that song.

Dave's always been a creative singer...maybe he felt he had to early on because of his limited range, but as the years went on he did so many things with it. That's why he's ultimately not just better than Hagar, who sings the same way all the time, but better than most rock singers of all time.

And, by the way, how can ya not love Calderone? I bust his balls for being obsessed at times but he is one of a kind...no doubt.

Loons The Great
05-29-2006, 02:50 PM
How do y'all think Diamond Dave's voice is doin' right nah in 2006?? Well well well...