PDA

View Full Version : Libertarian, Green, Independent Party Candidates Hold Debate in NYC

Pink Spider
09-02-2004, 06:06 PM
By Melanie Hunter
CNSNews.com Deputy Managing Editor
August 31, 2004

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=%5CPolitics%5Carchive%5C2004 08%5CPOL20040831e.html

(CNSNews.com) - Anyone who's interested in a "real" political debate instead of a "canned" political convention will get it on Tuesday, the Libertarian Party said, when its candidate takes on the Green Party presidential candidate.

The debate will take place Tuesday night at 7pm in New York City down the street from the Republican National Convention at Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church in Manhattan between Libertarian candidate Michael Badnarik and Green Party candidate David Cobb.

"Anyone who's interested in the Republican's weeklong yawn-a-thon is invited to attend a real, no-holds-barred political debate between two candidates with starkly different political views," said Fred Collins, manager of the Badnarik for President campaign.

According to Collins, this debate will be different because all "viable" candidates have been invited, questions from the audience will be allowed and the audience will see a clear choice between the candidates.

"We've invited independent Ralph Nader and Constitution Party candidate Michael Peroutka as well as George Bush and John Kerry," he said. "The fact is that third-party candidates often air views that the Democratic and Republican parties don't want the American people to hear, which is exactly why they should be included.

"Unlike the staged, scripted Bush-Kerry debates, members of the audience will be allowed to grill the candidates without interference from screeners or party flacks," Collins added. "Shouldn't anyone who aspires to be president be able to handle questions from ordinary Americans?"

Collins said President Bush and Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry have similar views on many issues, unlike the candidates that will debate each other Tuesday night.

"Bush and Kerry march in lock-step on so many issues that their so-called 'debate' will be like listening to an echo chamber," Collins said. "Both favor dramatically expanding the size, power and cost of government, continuing the war in Iraq and using the September 11 attacks as an excuse to subvert freedom."

In contrast, Badnarik and Cobb will lay out "starkly different visions of the proper role of the federal government. That's the debate that the two major parties don't want voters to hear, and it's why Bush and Kerry will be missing in action on Tuesday."

DaveIsKing
09-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Holy Shit!!!!!!

Pink Spider and I agree on something!!

I am an AYN RAND-style Constitutional Libertarian myself with a little more right-wing tendancies.
I don't cater to the "liberal" version of Libertarianism though.

But, hell I appreciate PINK SPIDER for putting up this link.

Rock on, girl.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 07:20 PM
I'm interested in the Green party, but I can wait four more years...

Viking
09-02-2004, 07:31 PM
DaveIsKing, sounds like you and I have something in common. :killer:

HELLVIS
09-03-2004, 05:45 AM
Thanks Pink Spider.

DaveIsKing
09-03-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Viking
DaveIsKing, sounds like you and I have something in common. :killer:

Hell yes, bro.

And I admire VIKINGS too!! :D

Figs
09-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm going to vote libertarian. New York is a lock for Kerry anyway, so why not vote for a thrid party? They need more recognition.

DaveIsKing
09-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Thumbs up! Figs!

Figs
09-03-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure I'm ready to move to NH, but I find myself agreeing with them on more issues than anyone else.

DaveIsKing
09-03-2004, 10:11 AM
Well, I am not a Libertarian in the entire sense, but I'd say 85%!

Their immigration policies are a little TOO extreme for me and I do believe in legalizing pot (even though I personally hate it), but not meth and coke.

Figs
09-03-2004, 10:17 AM
I think it would be a little nutty for anyone to agree with every stance any party has. I'm certainly for pot legalization, and even legal prostitution. Why not, it would be better regulated and taxed and being illegal has done nothing to slow either down. I'm more a a "victimless crime" person than a "gateway drug" person. I say go for it stoners and horny old men!

conmee
09-03-2004, 10:26 AM
Ah, my kind of thread... lol...

I think that more than simply a protest vote, folks who vote this year for third parties will, in the long run, give those parties more legitimacy in 10-20-30 years. You may not end up voting for a 'winner' in this year's election, but ultimately, it might do more long-term good for democracy in American than simply voting Republican or Democrat... although I respectfully disagree with marijuana legalization. :monkey:

Go Green! :)

Icon.

Figs
09-03-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by conmee
I think that more than simply a protest vote, folks who vote this year for third parties will, in the long run, give those parties more legitimacy in 10-20-30 years. You may not end up voting for a 'winner' in this year's election, but ultimately, it might do more long-term good for democracy in American than simply voting Republican or Democrat...

Unless you are in a "battleground state," why not vote 3rd party if there's one out there you like?

DaveIsKing
09-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Georgia will vote for George W. Bush.

So I may swing Libertarian Party, but I just don't really like Badnerick, or whatever the fuck his name is. He seems like a Liberal dressed in Libertarian garb.

I am truly undecided. It is a toss-up for me. Not between Queery and Bush, but whether to go ahead and vote for Bush, vote for a write-in, or just don't vote.

conmee
09-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Figs, I agree 100%... I'm in Michigan, a battleground state, and I may yet vote for a 3rd party candidate.

Philosophical Question: Can I still drive a 300hp V-8 Mustang, due out this Fall, and still be an environmentalist? After all, the new 'Stang will get about 23MPG and have new emissions controls that reduce emissions 40% from what previous model year 'Stangs produced. Not to mention the Hemi-powered Chrysler 300. So I ask, can I have my cake and eat it too? lol :)

Icon.

Figs
09-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Pretty funny! It’s very difficult be perfect in all you beliefs. 23MPG is damn good for 8 cylinders anyway, a lot better than my old truck I recently got rid of. Trade it in after they come out with a hybrid or fuel cell Mustang (right)!

conmee
09-03-2004, 11:04 AM
I was meeting with some electrical/design engineers at General Motors yesterday, and I said "If you could produce a 400hp, fuel cell powered Corvette, I'm buying!" lol Still a long way from that...

Icon.

Figs
09-03-2004, 11:11 AM
A long way off, but at least some progress is being made. Did you ever hear of Changing World Technologies (changing lots of organic things into oil)? This is probably a long way off too. But what a way to dispose of bodies as well!

http://www.discover.com/issues/jul-04/features/anything-into-oil/

conmee
09-03-2004, 11:48 AM
Figs, that is very cool... downloading some white papers they have on their site. It says that they are able to offer a high-grade oil that can be used to make diesel fuel...

"Out of 100 Btus in a given unit of feedstock, only 15 Btus are used to power the process, with the remainder residing in oil, gas, and chemicals. Most important, the oil produced in these tests easily meets the specifications for diesel fuel. “The main process chemistry does exactly what we thought it would do,” says Appel."

Now I just have to figure out how to reconcile this with my animal rights stance... lmao!!!!

Icon.

Figs
09-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Well, the animals are being killed anyway (I know, probably in "factory farms") and they are talking about sewage as well. Maybe humans at some point, eh? Ever read or see "Dune" where they take the dead's water for the tribe? “This is the bond of oil. We know the rites. A man’s flesh is his own; the oil belongs to the tribe.”.