PDA

View Full Version : Zell Miller Reads Chris Matthews the Riot Act

Viking
09-02-2004, 07:46 PM
Zell Miller Reads Chris Matthews the Riot Act

Democratic Sen. Zell Miller, whose speech slamming John Kerry as soft on defense electrified the GOP convention Wednesday night, gave MSNBC's Chris Matthews a much-needed on-air upbraiding minutes later for constantly interrupting him during an interview.

Miller gave no ground as Matthews deployed his patented rat-a-tat rhetorical style, and even warned the pro-Kerry host that he wouldn't let him get away with the same kind of treatment he gave Michelle Malkin last week when Matthews tossed her off the show for defending the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth.

Some highlights:
MILLER: If you are going to ask me a question, step back and let me answer. (LAUGHTER)

MATTHEWS: Senator, please.

MILLER: You know, I wish we ...

(CHEERING AND APPLAUSE)

MILLER: I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel.

(LAUGHTER)

MILLER: Now, that would be pretty good. Don't ask me – don't pull that ...

(CROSSTALK)

MATTHEWS: Can you can come over? I need you, Senator. Please come over.

MILLER: Wait a minute. Don't pull that kind of stuff on me, like you did that young lady when you had her there, browbeating her to death. I am not her. I am not her ...

MATTHEWS: Do you believe they want to defend the country?

MILLER: Look, I applaud what John Kerry did as far as volunteering to go to Vietnam. I applaud what he did when he volunteered for combat. I admire that, and I respect that. And I acknowledge that. I have said that many, many times.

MATTHEWS: Right.

(CROSSTALK)

MILLER: But I think his record is atrocious.

MATTHEWS: Well, let me ask you, when Democrats come out, as they often do, liberal Democrats, and attack conservatives and say they want to starve little kids, they want to get rid of education, they want to kill the old people ...

MILLER: I am not saying that. Wait a minute.

MATTHEWS: That kind of rhetoric is not educational, is it?

MILLER: Wait a minute.

Now, this is your program. And I am a guest on your program.

MATTHEWS: Yes, sir.

MILLER: And so I want to try to be as nice as I possibly can to you. I wish I was over there, where I could get a little closer up into your face.

(LAUGHTER)

MILLER: But I don‘t have to stand here and listen to that kind of stuff. I didn't say anything about not feeding poor kids. What are you doing? ...

MATTHEWS: OK. Do you believe now – do you believe, Senator, truthfully, that John Kerry wants to defend the country with spitballs? Do you believe that?

MILLER: That was a metaphor, wasn't it? Do you know what a metaphor is?

MATTHEWS: Well, what do you mean by a metaphor?

MILLER: Wait a minute. He certainly does not want to defend the country with the B-1 bomber or the B-2 bomber or the Harrier jet or the Apache helicopter or all those other things that I mentioned. And there were even more of them in here.

You've got to quit taking these Democratic talking points and using what they are saying to you.

MATTHEWS: No, I am using your talking points and asking you if you really believe them.

MILLER: Well, use John Kerry's talking points from the – from what he has had to say on the floor of the Senate, where he talked about them being occupiers, where he put out this whenever he was running for the U.S. Senate about what he wanted to cancel. Cancel to me means to do away with.

MATTHEWS: Well, what did you mean by the following ...

MILLER: I think we ought to cancel this interview. [END OF EXCERPTS]

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/9/2/90023.shtml

BigBadBrian
09-02-2004, 07:54 PM
I rarely watch MSNBC, but I just so happened to tune in just as Zell told blondie to SHUT UP and listen to him instead of repeatedly interrupting him. Good show, old boy.

Give 'em Hell, Zell!!! :gulp:

Satan
09-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Tweety Matthews is about as much of a liberal as Zellout is. Talk about a non-event. **YAWN**

Warham
09-02-2004, 09:43 PM
Selling out your own party, FORD?

freak
09-02-2004, 09:57 PM
Atta-boy, Zell! Atta-boy!!

If there were more like him in the Democratic Party, I would not have abandoned it in 92.

ELVIS
09-02-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Warham
Selling out your own party, FORD?

Eh FORD ??

Damn right he is.. he has no choice...

Hahaha!

:elvis:

FORD
09-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Zell plagarized his speech. The BCE is already backing away from him. Now neither party will have anything to do with the silly old bastard.

freak
09-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by FORD
Zell plagarized his speech. The BCE is already backing away from him. Now neither party will have anything to do with the silly old bastard.

A consequence of this election is going to be, after Bush wins, we'll have four more years of your BCE rants.

Hell, I may just vote for Kerry after-all...:D

rustoffa
09-03-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by FORD

He's retiring.
I think that was his swan song.
He did say he'd retire a Dem though.
:D