News of interest

1. Dave's sister to make a Van Halen Lullabye album

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    David Lee Roth’s Sister Creates Rockin’ Lullabyes
    Oct. 14 2010 - 9:28 pm | 208 views | 0 recommendations | 0 comments
    By KYM MCNICHOLAS

David Lee Roth, lead singer of Van Halen, used to be known as the only musical one in the Roth family. His sister, Lisa Roth, never really considered herself musically inclined. Ballet was as musical as shot got, until about three years ago.

She was shopping for a baby gift, and couldn’t find anything she thought would be the perfect gift for her friend. She thought, “What if there was a gift that would benefit the parents and the child?”

Music came to mind first, since at the time she was working for CMH Records, a label that focused on blue grass and classic country music.
    She thought it would be a great gift.

“But most of the lullabyes out there, I wouldn’t think parents could relate to or enjoy hearing them over and over again. But their favorites songs, I figured they would.”

So, she approached her boss, David Haerle about creating lullabyes based on a parent’s favorite singers and bands. Rock-A-Bye Baby features recognizable music from nearly 30 artists, from Metallica to the Rolling Stones. Even country stars such as Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood, and Garth Brooks are featured.

“It’s more for the parent than the child but it calms the child at the same time,” explains Roth.

But it’s not an easy process taking a rock song and turning it into a lullabye. First, they have to license the music. Then they have to go through the music, note by note, and take it down a few notches to make each song suitable for baby. The songs have to be slowed down, but they don’t lose the recognizable melody. The reverb is cut down significantly. There are no vocals. No loud steel guitars. And no drums.

Instead, they use the glockenspiel, the mellotron, bells, and wood instruments. Sometimes you’ll hear
  2. Happy Birthday, David Lee

3. The Communicators: FTC & Online Privacy

4. That Time Of Year - Perseids Meteor Shower Coming Up Next Week

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I called the president of the local Astronomical Association, Mr. Bell. I did not ask if he was related.
    He describes it like this;

The meteor shower path we are passing through is like passing through a river. Right now we are in the marsh. He stated SOME people are spotting meteors. He stated tomorrow we will “step into the river about 9pm” however; Perseids will not rise until about 11 pm. He stressed that this is navigation calculations; that the calculation could be off and if we cross the “river” later in the evening closer to when Perseids rises that more showers would be seen. He shared with me that Perseids rises in the NE and that I should point my camera in that direction.

I understood that very well. I was very excited to go shoot some shots. He also instructed me on how to “get” the shots like the one on this page that he directed me to.

Insert link

I assume you know how hardrock. If not, let me know and I will slip you notes.

Now for my adventure this evening; Oh my goodness!

I thought what I saw yesterday was disturbing and well it was, but it was nothing compared to this adventure. I research and looked up some of the best spots and I am glad I did. Had I gone on my uneducated thoughts I would have headed right into light pollution.

However, maybe, places are not populated for a reason.

So, I traveled about an hour to get to a dark zone. This was one of the spookiest things I have ever remember doing.

On the way over it is great. Super music and open freeway. I turn off the exit and follow my GPS until my coordinates. I arrive to Adrian GA. There is too much light pollution for my planned shot. And I thought that might be the case, so I start heading out I go north first heading to Kite. Kite is an unusual name, I reconded (sic) that this was a trail of messages at one point of time.

Mr. Bell

Updated 04-28-2011 at 05:19 PM by Blaze

Categories
    News of interest
  5. That Time Of Year - Perseids Meteor Shower Coming Up Next Week

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Well, the peak is next week. Wednesday night thru Friday morning.
    Though you should be able to see occasional meteors now, and for a week or two after the peak.

Also, something I never knew before, there are two other weaker meteor showers that occur during this time frame as well.

I will be sitting outside (if it is clear) with my Nikon and my tripod, doing time-exposures, trying to catch some good pics. I like to shoot meteors and rock bands with my Nikon.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser.../99304684.html

Updated 04-28-2011 at 05:22 PM by Blaze

Categories
    News of interest