The Roth Journals

1. New VH Footage !!!! 2012 tickets on sale Jan 10th!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    Promotion for 2012 TOUR!!!! Website is finally updated!

Facebook - David Lee Roth
    Facebook - Van Halen

Twitter - David Lee Roth
    Twitter - Van Halen

You Tube - Van Halen
    Vimeo - Van Halen
    Tags: vanhalen Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock'n'Roll

Quote Originally Posted by mohican View Post
    I saw someone at Links finding out about this new vh book from Amazon. It's not yet released. Here's a little write-up about the book from its own publisher blog.

-----------------------------
    Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock'n'Roll

Van Halen, a critic once noted, seemed to be ‘halfway between a Los Angeles traffic jam and an abstract painting.’ It was an observation that seemed to sense that whatever this thing Van Halen was … it might be a lot less obvious than it first seemed.

Van Halen explores the cultural circuits of a phenomenon that, somewhat bizarrely, set itself up as ephemeral, stupid, and meaningless – or, in other words, as impervious to critical evaluation. ‘I hate the word maturing,’ singer David Lee Roth once said. ‘I don’t like the word evolving – or any of that bullshit. The point is to keep it as simplistic, as unassuming, and as stupid as possible.’

This is a book that seeks to capture Van Halen’s pursuit of an art of artlessness and to understand the ways in which they came to be characteristic of what historian Kevin Starr has identified as ‘Zen California’ – it was a state of mind, a way of being, that above all else, celebrated ‘the now’. In rock’n’roll terms it stood for the unregulated expenditure of energy; for a youthful exuberance that seemed destined to extinguish itself.

Van Halen: Exuberant California / Zen Rock'n'roll is not a standard biography or life story, but a cultural genealogy of an attitude and how it informed the music. The book nonetheless takes a roughly chronological approach to its subject in order to understand the key developments in Van Halen's career in the years 1974-1985. In tracing the aesthetic dimensions of this ‘Zen rock’n’roll’, Van Halen's roots are seen in a number of less obvious influences – the unique Southern Californian climate and its relation to a sense of cultural exuberance; the echoes of Beat aesthetics
  3. New Dave Video For His Sister's Rockabye Baby Collection, 11/11/11

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I didn't believe it either when I saw the Google alert. But no shit, here is Dave in an ad for his sister's collection of VH covers for children. Apparently, this was uploaded to Youtube around 4:30 EST this afternoon.

Enjoy!

4. Tomorrow, we shall know if we die

Quote Originally Posted by standin View Post
    March forward with head held high
    Bid your loved ones Adieu
    Give to your grace your best grüß Gott
    If alone kneel before thy Lord's throne

Tend well your savored moments
    See with vision clear.
    Fear not the future
    for it is known.

It shall be glory or it shall be worse.
    Leave today your final doggerel
    Scribbled upon anything handy

We do cherish the last words of birth.

With your sack full of desire
    Take your acclaim.
    That only the heavens will see.

It was on this march
    The nobles accounted their legion.
    From the flicker of your eyes
    Your signs did read

Tomorrow, we shall know if we die

That is all.
  5. Roth Army Excusive©®™- Dave Roth mentioned on new Steel Panther Release

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    On the new Steel Panther album, 'Balls Out', Dave gets a mention.

On the track 'I Like Drugs' towards the end there is a skit with Panther singer Michael Starr (Ralph Saenz) being chased by the cops.

Click Here for an exert!

I'm guessing this was recorded before they were booked to tour the UK with Motley Crue in December...

Ralph was of course formally the singer of infamous Van Halen tribute band, and Roth solo musician feeder tank, The Atomic Punks.

The extraordinary new Panther album, 'Balls Out' is due for release in the US on November 1st, slightly earlier in the UK and Japan.

More info on them here http://steelpantherrocks.com and we have a thread Here