David Lee Roth

1. Gibson Lifestyle Reports

Sean Patrick Dooley | 01.18.2011

Right Now: Van Halen to Record New Studio Album

The rumor mill has been churning for months, but it appears Van Halen are heading into the studio to record a new studio album with Grammy-winning producer John Shanks (Bon Jovi, Keith Urban, Pink, Celine Dion).

Melodicrock.com is reporting the band will be joined in the studio by original frontman David Lee Roth for their first new studio album since 1998’s Van Halen III. It will be Roth’s first new album with Eddie and Alex since 1983’s 1984.

There is no word about a completion date for the album nor any subsequent tour, though Melodicrock.com reports that Eddie is not interested in touring without new music in his quiver. It is also reporting that the band’s Warner label might want to release a career-spanning box set after reaching new publishing deals with Roth, Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...len-0118-2011/

Sean Patrick Dooley Bio
    http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/bios/43

Trackback URL
    http://disqus.com/forums/gibsonfamil..._37/trackback/
  2. melodicrock.com Reports

Monday, January 17, 2011

VAN HALEN COMMENCE WORK WITH PRODUCER JOHN SHANKS:
    Van Halen will formally start work on a new studio album with Grammy Award winning producer John Shanks Monday January 17. The news of the band's plans was confirmed by myself this weekend.
    Rumours of Shanks' involvement with the band surfaced a couple of months ago at the Van Halen Newsdesk. It can now be confirmed.
    The band will record their first all-new studio album since 1998's Van Halen III and their first with original singer David Lee Roth since 1983's 1984.
    There are no further details available about this latest stint in the studio, nor any suggestion of when the band will be finished and anything subsequently released. Manager Irving Azoff is said to be pushing the band to tour, but I'm told Eddie Van Halen is reluctant to do so without any new material to release.
    So while a 2011 tour has been publicly mentioned previously by Azoff, it remains up in the air as to when, or even if a tour will happen this year. A record needs to be completed and I doubt anyone will want to start speculating as to when that will happen.

Questions remain about what happened to the much discussed 2010 recording sessions with producer Ross Hogarth. Officially denied, and not likely to ever be addressed, the fact remains the band were in the studio writing and working for much of 2010. Several famous names commented positively about hearing new material during 2010, including Dweezil Zappa & John 5.
    Additionally Warner Publishing issued a press release mid-year stating that the band had re-signed to the company, adding that they were (at that stage) in the studio recording.

Additional rumors remain about Warner's desire to release remastered versions of the band's Sammy Hagar fronted albums and I'm hearing talk of a career spanning Box Set at some stage ...
    Categories
    David Lee Roth
  3. New Year's Eve with David Lee Roth

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Twenty-six years ago today, DLR and I hung out on W 4th street in Greenwich Village.

December 30, 1984 - 'twas a Sunday morning and I'd spent the week crashing with Hoboken friends in advance of a big New Year's Eve party, but Saturday afternoon had relocated to Manhattan to join my visiting family who had rooms booked at Morgan's, the new Steve "Studio" Rubell / Ian "54" Schrager hotel on Madison near 38th. Following Sunday breakfast I called the Hobokeners and we agreed on a noon meet-up at McBell's tavern, a great old Irish place on Sixth just south of Washington Place where a decent steak and cold beer could be had cheaply.

As I'd cabbed down to the neighborhood around 11:30, I was prowling "Geoffe's Trail" of neighborhood record shops and turned west off Sixth Avenue onto West 4th, where it bent northward to cross Cornelia and then Jones streets. Mid-block, I spotted a small bric-a-brac place - really no bigger than a large walk-in closet, and the wallspace chock-full of cheap sunglasses. Stepping in, I saw a large mane of blond hair over the back of a jean jacket that had a gorgeous, WWII Memphis Belle warplane 'nose art' style, hand-painted Pin-up-Girl-in-Champagne-Glass image. 'Round turns David Lee Roth - at the time, my absolute #1 idol in the world - and says to me "Hey buddy!"

[Ulp] "Hi, Dave! What are you doing here?"

"We're just picking up some fine glasses for tomorrow night! You're gonna watch me hostin' the MTV New Year's Eve party, ain'tcha?"

"Big party in Hoboken - we'll be watching on TV" was my 'cool' response.

I'd been such a huge Van Halen fan and recalled how, a year earlier, VH had released their mammoth "1984" on New Year's Eve, and MTV had then beaten that drum for months. Dave was one of the most recognized mascots and dependable faces on MTV - a total showman
  4. Season's Greetings From The Roth Journals

Get $2 in MP3 Downloads
    Use code GIVEMP3S and get $2 good for albums or songs at Amazon MP3.

Link to Amazon promotion

Roth's page on Amazon

Terms and Conditions:

Promotional offer valid for a limited time only and subject to change.

Promotional offer is valid from December 23, 2010 12:00 AM PST through December 26, 2010 11:59 PM PST. You must redeem the credit by December 26, 2010 11:59 PM PST.

The promotional offer value is $2 and can be used for albums or songs sold by Amazon MP3.

Promotional offer can only be used for MP3s sold at Amazon.com.

Promotional offer limited to one Amazon MP3 promotional credit per customer.

Amazon MP3 music downloads are available to customers located and with billing addresses in the 50 United States or the District of Columbia only. You must have an Amazon.com account and accept the Amazon MP3 Service Terms of Use to redeem the code.

We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate or modify this promotion.

5. Amazon's Wikileaks Rejection Raises Cloud Trust Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Keir Thomas – Thu Dec 2, 1:31 pm ET

When the Wikileaks "cablegate" scandal broke last week, those behind the whistle-blowing Website found their servers under heavy load. No surprise there, of course, but an additional DDoS hack attack didn't help.

To remedy the situation, Wikileaks did what anybody else would do by renting some elastic space in the cloud to take up the strain. They chose Amazon Web Services, which, although initially unperturbed by the move, yesterday removed Wikileaks' material without an explanation or apology. It appears Amazon came under political pressure to do so.

{...}

It boils down to what cloud providers consider to be objectionable material. Most service agreements are a little vague on this point, perhaps deliberately so. Amazon's Web Services Customer Agreement says the following, which is wildly open to interpretation and could theoretically let them remove just about anything:

11.2. Applications and Content. You represent and warrant: [...] (iii) that Your Content (a) does not violate, misappropriates or infringes any rights of us or any third party, (b) does not constitutes defamation, invasion of privacy or publicity, or otherwise violates any rights of any third party, or (c) is not designed for use in any illegal activity or to promote illegal activities, including, without limitation, use in a manner that might be libelous or defamatory or otherwise malicious, illegal or harmful to any person or entity, or discriminatory based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;

Even if the service agreements were crystal clear about what is and isn't acceptable content, there will be many borderline cases that could fall either way. Anybody using cloud services could potentially be at the mercy of unaccountable
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast