All Blog Entries

1. That Time Of Year - Perseids Meteor Shower Coming Up Next Week

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    I called the president of the local Astronomical Association, Mr. Bell. I did not ask if he was related.
    He describes it like this;

The meteor shower path we are passing through is like passing through a river. Right now we are in the marsh. He stated SOME people are spotting meteors. He stated tomorrow we will “step into the river about 9pm” however; Perseids will not rise until about 11 pm. He stressed that this is navigation calculations; that the calculation could be off and if we cross the “river” later in the evening closer to when Perseids rises that more showers would be seen. He shared with me that Perseids rises in the NE and that I should point my camera in that direction.

I understood that very well. I was very excited to go shoot some shots. He also instructed me on how to “get” the shots like the one on this page that he directed me to.

Insert link

I assume you know how hardrock. If not, let me know and I will slip you notes.

Now for my adventure this evening; Oh my goodness!

I thought what I saw yesterday was disturbing and well it was, but it was nothing compared to this adventure. I research and looked up some of the best spots and I am glad I did. Had I gone on my uneducated thoughts I would have headed right into light pollution.

However, maybe, places are not populated for a reason.

So, I traveled about an hour to get to a dark zone. This was one of the spookiest things I have ever remember doing.

On the way over it is great. Super music and open freeway. I turn off the exit and follow my GPS until my coordinates. I arrive to Adrian GA. There is too much light pollution for my planned shot. And I thought that might be the case, so I start heading out I go north first heading to Kite. Kite is an unusual name, I reconded (sic) that this was a trail of messages at one point of time.

Mr. Bell

Updated 04-28-2011 at 05:19 PM by Blaze

Categories
    News of interest
  2. That Time Of Year - Perseids Meteor Shower Coming Up Next Week

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Well, the peak is next week. Wednesday night thru Friday morning.
    Though you should be able to see occasional meteors now, and for a week or two after the peak.

Also, something I never knew before, there are two other weaker meteor showers that occur during this time frame as well.

I will be sitting outside (if it is clear) with my Nikon and my tripod, doing time-exposures, trying to catch some good pics. I like to shoot meteors and rock bands with my Nikon.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/obser.../99304684.html

Updated 04-28-2011 at 05:22 PM by Blaze

Categories
    News of interest
  3. Greetings From The Heartland !

Quote Originally Posted by Green Manalishi View Post
    Greetings Humanoids ! It feels good to hang a bit with like - minded citizens . I believe I was registered here earlier this decade or possibly , the actual Van Halen site - I don't remember . I had a few technical difficulties and I dropped outta life for awhile . I recently re-registered at the Black Crowes and the Ted Nugent site as well .

I'm proud to say that I've been a serious fan of the real Van Halen since the almighty first album way back in '78 . I have seen them 5 times and DLR himself at least that many times as well .

Thanx for havin' me ! Let's motor........
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. U.S. Army unveils a trove of soldiers' war paintings

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – An American soldier stands alone amid the long grass of a Vietnamese field accompanied by the helicopter that brought him there while a few other soldiers are seen in the background.
    "Landing Zone," a somber depiction of the Vietnam War in 1966 by soldier John Wehrle, is among about 300 paintings by U.S. servicemen and women that will be unveiled to the public for the first time at Philadelphia's National Constitution Center in September.

Click image to see war paintings from U.S. servicemen, women

The exhibition is also designed to enable active and retired servicemen and women to give their relatives a realistic view of their experience of war.
    "If a soldier takes his family to the museum, I want them to be able to say, 'That's what it was like,'" Cervantez said.
    Other soldiers/artists will be invited to submit their works to an online gallery for possible display in a computer kiosk within the exhibition. The show runs from September 24 to January 10, 2011 and will then tour other U.S. cities.

For more information and the complete article click here

A link to the National Constitution Center

The introduction of the exhibit from the National Constitution Center

Updated 07-20-2010 at 08:32 PM by Blaze

Categories
    News of interest , Art
  5. Twitter

I created an account on twitter today.
    I browsed other people's comments over there for a while and found that place was not worth creating an account. totally boring.
    Categories
    Uncategorized