Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Cleveland up on Minnesota and their vaunted pitching staff...3-0...6th inning...early yet...but Sabathia is looking damn good...finally...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

damn good is an understatement...Sabathia has a perfect game going through five innings...with 5 K's...

of course...that isn't saying much with the fucking Twins and their fluff hitting...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

Perfect game and no hitter gone in the sixth...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Tribe up 4-0 in the 8th...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Make that 6-0...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

American League
              Team W L PCT GB
              Cleveland (20) 81 61 .570 -
              N.Y. Yankees 80 62 .563 1
              Oakland 79 63 .556 2
              Minnesota 73 68 .518 7½
              Toronto 71 70 .504 9½
              Texas 70 73 .490 11½
              Baltimore 67 75 .472 14
              Detroit 65 76 .461 15½
              Seattle 61 81 .430 20
              Tampa Bay 59 84 .413 22½
              Kansas City 46 95 .326 34½

After today's slaughter of Minnesota is complete...

Cleveland will be 1 1/2 up on the Yankees...

and...

only 5 1/2 in back of the white sox...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

and 6 games left with the Sox...the AL East isn't the only division that's still up in the air...

Cleveland has a shot at this one...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Cleveland is 9-1...

Cleveland is 4 1/2 back of the White Sox...

I've been saying it for weeks...they would win the division...

now...I gotta listen to these fuckers on TV acting like they knew it all along...

fuck them.

Chicago is losing 4-0 today...

Cleveland has 6 games left with the Sox...

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i was at a high school game last night, and they kept updating the Indians score. pretty funny.
                    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

It's funny though twona...how different baseball is in Cleveland than the big baseball cities. I know it happens in other cities...but I fucking hate how easy people in our hometown turn OFF the Indians, and how easy they hop back on the wagon. I lived through the bad years as well...

but I'm glad they are back on. Maybe we'll actually get some sell outs for the White Sox series at the end of the year...when we win the division.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Who's lookin' big this year in Cleveland high school football...

Comment

• twonabomber
                          formerly F A T
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

i dunno, haven't looked at much of the standings yet. around me, Madison is pretty good, and Mentor's been getting clobbered the last couple weeks. Chardon is usually good but they're 2-2, got the shit kicked out of them by Massilon last night. Avon Lake is 4-0.
                          Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

That's what I was getting at...lmfao...the Shoremen...

kinda curious if they are continuing where they left off...

So what's the town like...with the Cavs making a bunch of seemingly good moves...

The Tribe making the turn again...

and the Browns...

well...

playing...

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

this was in the News Herald today:

Fans: Dolans, prices are keeping us at home

Jim Ingraham

An unidentified Indians official, quoted in Sports Illustrated this week, called it "the best Cleveland sports season nobody has seen."
                              Make no mistake about it, Indians officials are miffed, mystified and frustrated by all the empty seats at Jacobs Field. Since the wild-card race has heated up, and with the Indians moving to the top of the wild-card standings over the last week, the crowds have gotten slightly bigger. But only slightly.

The atmosphere, however, has greatly improved. The fans who do show up are into the games right from the first pitch. Every game this week had a playoff-type atmosphere. Even if the ballpark was barely half full.
                              Indians officials obsess about attendance because of ownership's policy that says increases in payroll will only follow increases in attendance. Whether that puts the carrot in front of the horse or the horse in front of the carrot depends on your perspective.

It was my feeling, stated in a column last week, that there is probably a lot of factors, rather than one overriding reason, for the Indians' below-average attendance this season.
                              In response to that column, several readers sent e-mails explaining their decision to stay away.

As I suspected, the reasons vary.

Economics, geography, and, shall we say, philosophical differences with ownership, were all cited as reasons some fans have decided to experience the wild-card race from their couches.
                              "Let me tell you why I feel the attendance is so low," said Tedd Wagner of Mentor. "On July 4th, I decided on the spur of the moment to take my two daughters to the stadium. We rode the bus down and waited 50 minutes for tickets, missing the first two innings. So (the next day) I wanted to go to the game. I got online to purchase tickets, knowing that they have an e-mail delivery system. At this time, an hour after my purchase, and being on hold for over 15 minutes on the phone, I still do not have my tickets. Couple this with an owner that does not want to spend money, and there is no wonder people do not want to go to the game."

Reader Ken Runner said, "The main reason I have not attended any games is that I work and live in Sandusky. For me to attend a night game, I would not arrive home until around 11:30 p.m. When you have to be at work at 6 a.m., and my son has school, it's too late. Almost every Indians game is televised, so I can see the final out and be in bed one and a half hours earlier than if I attended.

"The second deciding factor is obviously cost. For my family of three going to an Indians game would incur the following costs: Gas: 120 miles at $2.85 a gallon, figure $15; parking: $15; tickets for three: $60 (for average seats, not nearly as good as my living room with no instant replays and closeups); Food, beverages and a program, souvenir for the kid, maybe $40. Grand total: $130. Granted, $130 is not going to break me, but can you at least see my point?"

Jeff Johnston from Willoughby believes fans are turned off by the way the Indians are being run. "The problem," said Johnston, "is, simply, that the Dolans have issued numerous statements that "our revenue will dictate what we spend on salaries," saying to the fans "if you come down to the park and spend, we'll reinvest your money in better players."

"When the Dolans say that, as fans we hear: 'This team is not worth investing any money into it.' We, the fans, are furious enough about this policy to the point that we are sending them a message by staying away in droves. Think about what they are really saying, as this is about trust. How else can we interpret their policy that, in effect, says to us: "I don't believe you will support a $75 million investment in a winning baseball team, you have to show me."

"As fans, what do we have to do to earn the trust of an owner, given that we have 455 straight sellouts in our recent history to demonstrate that we will support an owner's investment in a franchise?
                              "By staying away this year, we are saying back to the Dolans, 'When you think enough of this team to put some money into it, so will we.'

"We, the fans, do not trust that the Dolans will spend the money to keep this team together. We look and see a team that could lose (Kevin) Millwood, (Bob) Wickman, (Bob) Howry, (Scott) Sauerbeck and (Ron) Belliard this offseason and be right back where we were in 2002.

"The only option is for the Dolans to issue a statement that they were wrong about their 'come and we will spend' policy, to show us something tangible by signing Kevin Millwood to a three-year contract, and to promise us that Mark Shapiro will be given the necessary budget to keep this bullpen together and add another right-handed bat in the offseason. On behalf of the Indians fans, I say to the Dolans, "if you spend it, we will come."

Caught in the middle of the front office wanting more from the fans, and the fans wanting more from the front office is the team itself. It's a team that is in the hunt this season and could remain there for the next few years.

In summarizing where the fan-franchise relationship is at currently, reader Ken Runner preaches patience.
                              "It's not that this team isn't good," he said. "I think they will win the wild-card and finish three back of the Sox. It's not that this team doesn't have stars."

"Please tell Mr. Dolan, that it's not personal, it's economic. With layoffs, downsizing, rising gas and ticket prices, and the impending Katrina-related prices, we must all be the Mark Shapiros of our own pocketbooks. We will look for bargains (discounted tickets), scan the waiver wires (be on the lookout for freebies from friends and neighbors), and invest in the future (Lake County and Akron aren't that much farther away).

"I see my pocketbook being a contender as early as 2007, hopefully with no more layoffs at the plant and cutting corners and saving when we can, my family will be back for our usual five-to-10 games a year soon. Be patient with the fans, like we were with you, and trust in us like we did in you when you told us the Colon trade was a good one."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

Interesting...I didn't realize that Dolan was taking Modell status. I guess following Jacobs wasn't an easy deal.

Comment

Working...