Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fraroc
    Commando
    • Jun 2012

OK, let me dissect this article right now.

"Rock star Eddie Van Halen was on the brink of death recently when doctors battled to save him after his intestines "exploded," the new issue of the National Enquirer exclusively reveals."

Notice how they didn't give a specific date for when this alleged "battle to save Eddie Van Halen's life" occured, and whe know that his operation was 3 weeks to a month ago. and Diverticulitis is also known as a "ruptured colon". It is totally possible for Eddie to have been on the brink of death when the original operation occured a month ago, but it dosen't sound like this happened in the past few days.

Fortunately for Eddie, he has overcome the health crisis, and his people say: “No further surgeries are needed.”

If this article was talking about something very recent, than it wouldn't have said that line right there. It probably would have said something across the lines of "For now, its a waiting game to see whether or whether not the God of guitars will survive." I agree that if he did not get this surgery, he would have died. My guess is that if Eddie has been suffering from this problem since the end of the tour and he really did drink the cayenne pepper concoction and had a bad reaction to it, it would have definetly aggrivated his condition to the point that he needed surgery.

AND, that tabloid is the only thing that is reporting the cayenne pepper thingy and everyone else isn't.
    Last edited by fraroc; 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• atomicpnk47
      Head Fluffer
      • Feb 2007

Or maybe Janie gave him a Fistula.....

Comment

• IceCreamBlondie
        Head Fluffer
        • Dec 2008

Ed, I wish you the best as you recover. Get well soon!
        I'm Stayin' Frosty!

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Two things:
          1 - I hope Ed has a speedy recovery and gets back on his feet and playing as soon as he's well and able.
          2 - IF VH decides to go into their Howdy Doody Hidey Hole for 4 damn years again I hope Dave tours. Everybody else may be fine with waiting 4 or 5 years between tours but I'd really like to see Dave next year. I know, I'm supposed to worry about Ed's fragile ego and all but I don't really care at this point. It's time to get the show on the road Dave.
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• SunisinuS
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • May 2010

Originally posted by VAiN
            Diverticulitis Down ... Too soon?
            It was...but I just gave you the thanks today so now officially timing is just "blue".
            Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Well, I hope he recovers and gets back to kicking ass.

And I hope the only diets he undertakes are standard diets with exercise and lots of water.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                Two things:
                1 - I hope Ed has a speedy recovery and gets back on his feet and playing as soon as he's well and able.
                2 - IF VH decides to go into their Howdy Doody Hidey Hole for 4 damn years again I hope Dave tours. Everybody else may be fine with waiting 4 or 5 years between tours but I'd really like to see Dave next year. I know, I'm supposed to worry about Ed's fragile ego and all but I don't really care at this point. It's time to get the show on the road Dave.
                Be careful what you ask for... Dave taking a "show" on the road without the Van Halens could end up a cross between a county fair and a circus act. Imagine the possibilities... Sheep and cattle herding, falconry stalking bunnies, midget trapeze acts and the Dahm Triplets thrown in just for some good looks and fun... Call it the No Holds Bar-B-Q II and Cuntry Fair!!

I think I'd rather Ed make a full, speedy recovery... no 4 year fuckin hiatus... do a little writing and polishing of the ADKOT left-overs during the spring in 5150... return for an early summer short tour in the markets they skipped last go round. Short tours off shore, Europe, Australia, Japan... then a short 4 week vacation, back into the studio in the early fall with another stellar Christmas party and album release as last year!!
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• fraroc
                  Commando
                  • Jun 2012

Now that the National Enquirer released the report, multiple sources are now saying that Eddie's close call did indeed happen about a month ago and he is still at home recovering (THANK GOD FOR THAT)

This is what a Detroit based classic rock station reported.

According to the latest issue of The National Enquirer, Eddie Van Halen was on the brink of death a few weeks ago when doctors battled to save him after his intestines “exploded.”

Eddie was rushed to the hospital in excruciating pain after drinking the cayenne-based drink that is the basis of the Master Cleanse diet.

The diet is supposed to rid toxins from the body and cause rapid weight loss, but it can have disastrous effects. “Eddie’s abdominal region was a disaster area,” a friend commented.

Fortunately for Eddie, he has overcome the health crisis, and his people say: “No further surgeries are needed."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

That article does nothing but quote the original National Enquirer piece....

Are there any "sources" other than the National Enquirer ??
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fraroc
                      Commando
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                      That article does nothing but quote the original National Enquirer piece....

Are there any "sources" other than the National Enquirer ??
                      Well, if you google "Eddie Van Halen Almost Died" you'll get a myriad of sites that say the same thing, that Eddie drank the cayenne pepper concoction and that the surgery he had a month ago was more serious than the fans initially thought it was.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by fraroc
                        Well, if you google "Eddie Van Halen Almost Died" you'll get a myriad of sites that say the same thing, that Eddie drank the cayenne pepper concoction and that the surgery he had a month ago was more serious than the fans initially thought it was.
                        Yes, of course.... But the question is are any of them doing anything but simply quoting the National Enquirer?

Perhaps if your age is accurate you don't know the history of that rag.....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DONNIEP
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                          Be careful what you ask for... Dave taking a "show" on the road without the Van Halens could end up a cross between a county fair and a circus act. Imagine the possibilities... Sheep and cattle herding, falconry stalking bunnies, midget trapeze acts and the Dahm Triplets thrown in just for some good looks and fun... Call it the No Holds Bar-B-Q II and Cuntry Fair!!
                          Holy fuck!!! You just described redneck heaven!! When do the tickets go on sale???
                          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Apr 2005

Scary stuff if any of it is half true. I'm sure the truth will come out. After reading that interview with Ed from GQ or whatever it was after the album came out I'm starting to think this guy is tough as nails !

Comment

• TJMKID
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
                              I think I'd rather Ed make a full, speedy recovery... no 4 year fuckin hiatus... do a little writing and polishing of the ADKOT left-overs during the spring in 5150... return for an early summer short tour in the markets they skipped last go round. Short tours off shore, Europe, Australia, Japan... then a short 4 week vacation, back into the studio in the early fall with another stellar Christmas party and album release as last year!!

I think VH needs to seriously re-think the old paradigm of "let's record a full album and then tour for 6 months to support it".

That method worked well for most of their career but now they're close to 60 and need to re-evaluate how they tour from now on. There's plenty of evidence that that old paradigm is taking a big toll on Dave and Eddie with the associated voice concerns and health problems.

I would kindly suggest a new paradigm --- release a mini-EP every other year with 4 or 5 new downloadable songs and then tour in 2 week cycles followed by 2-3 weeks off to recuperate. Other rock bands of similar age are already trying this new paradigm (Metallica, Motley Crue, etc) and it seems to be working well. They still remain profitable and provide enough gigs to keep the fanbases happy.

Even when Dave and Eddie reach 65 and barring any serious health problems --- they could still bang out 4 or 5 new songs every 2 years and put a lot more time and effort into them than trying to finish a full-length album. This would please the VH fanbase since we'll know we're getting new music more often instead of waiting 4 or 5 years for a full album.

Touring for a 2-week stretch and then chilling for 3 weeks would allow their aging bodies to recuperate properly instead of a tour wearing them down progressively over 4 months like this last one did. I fully agree that the non-stop work from summer 2011 in finishing ADKOT to the end of the tour in June 2012 was too much strain on Dave's voice and probably contributed to Ed's diverticulitis getting so bad.

Give it some serious thought, fellas --- this new paradigm could keep you going well into your 60's and sustain a nice cash flow --- and also keep the loyal fanbase happy for years to come!

Comment

• Carloscda
                                Foot Soldier
                                • Jan 2009

What was cool is that Valerie came to his side. Good to see mature adults in the room!

Comment

Working...