Warning: Undefined array key "birthday" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/notice.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /var/www/html/forums/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 British Police Thwart "Massive Terrorist Plot" - The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Police Thwart "Massive Terrorist Plot"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Police Thwart "Massive Terrorist Plot"

British Police Thwart Aircraft Bomb Plot
    Aug 10, 4:50 AM (ET)

By DANICA KIRKA

LONDON (AP) - British authorities thwarted a terrorist plot to blow up several aircraft mid-flight between the United States and Britain using explosives smuggled in hand luggage, officials said Thursday.

Britain's Home Secretary John Reid said the alleged plot was "significant" and that terrorists aimed to "bring down a number of aircraft through mid-flight explosions, causing a considerable loss of life."

Police arrested a number of people overnight in London after a major covert counterterrorism operation that had lasted several months, but did not immediately say how many.

The U.S. government responded by raising its threat assessment to the highest level for commercial flights from Britain to the United States early Thursday.

"We believe that these arrests (in London) have significantly disrupted the threat, but we cannot be sure that the threat has been entirely eliminated or the plot completely thwarted," said U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff.

Chertoff added in the statement there was no indication of current plots within the U.S.

Britain's national threat level was also raised to critical - a warning level that indicates the likelihood of an imminent terrorist attack. The threat rating was posted on the Web site of Britain's MI5 - the British domestic spy agency.

London's Heathrow airport was closed to most European flights Thursday morning following a heightened terrorist alert, officials said.

The closure on incoming traffic applied to flights of three hours or less, affecting most of the incoming flights from Europe, an airport spokesman said on condition of anonymity in line with airport policy.

Prime Minister Tony Blair, vacationing in the Caribbean, had briefed President Bush on the situation overnight, Blair's office said.

The British Department of Transport advised all passengers that they would not be permitted to carry any hand baggage on board any aircraft departing from any airport in the country. Passengers faced delays as tighter security was hastily enforced at the country's airports and additional measures were put in place for all flights.

British Airways said some flights were likely to be canceled. Laptop computers, mobile phones, iPods, and remote controls were among items banned from being carried on its planes.

"I'm terrified really, I'm really scared," said Sarah Challiner, 20, who was waiting to board a flight from Manchester's airport.

Hannah Pillinger, 24, seemed less concerned by the announcement. "Eight hours without an iPod, that's the most inconvenient thing," she said, waiting at the Manchester airport.

London's Heathrow airport was the departure point for a devastating terrorist attack on a Pan Am airplane on Dec. 21, 1988. The blast over Lockerbie, Scotland, killed all 259 people aboard Pan Am Flight 103 and 11 people on the ground.

The explosive was hidden in a portable radio which was hidden in checked baggage.

A Scottish court convicted Libyan intelligence agent Abdel Basset Ali al-Megrahi of the bombing in 2001 and sentenced him to life imprisonment. A second Libyan was acquitted.

In 2003, Libya officially accepted responsibility for the attack and agreed to pay relatives of each bombing victim at least $5 million.

Link
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Don Corleone posted an interesting article on this too, well worth a read.

These are frightneing times we live in. Anyone who aims to take lives that way is su-human....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

Dragonshit.....

This is all bullshit to reinforce the myth that Holy Joe getting his ass handed to him was "bad for America".

Yep, time to bring back the fear mongering......
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Satan
        Dragonshit.....

This is all bullshit to reinforce the myth that Holy Joe getting his ass handed to him was "bad for America".

Yep, time to bring back the fear mongering......
        You prove your blind, raging idiocy once again.

Yeah, I'll bet Scotland Yard and all of the other British Police departments have an axe to grind because Joe Lieberman lost.

Comment

Level RED for all flights coming from the UK.

Comment

If they were dumb enough to try that for Lieberman, smart money says it would have been done BEFORE the election.
            Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

Only flights in the air will be allowed to land.

Heathrow is essentially closed.....

Wonder if Blair will come back from his holidays?

Comment

400,000 people in Europe will be affected just today. I had no idea that they needed to send a message about Lieberman so badly.
                Meet us in the future, not the pasture

Comment

Originally posted by diamondD
                  400,000 people in Europe will be affected just today. I had no idea that they needed to send a message about Lieberman so badly.
                  LMAO...

FORD, why do you keep going off your meds? They are good for you.
                  ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
                  Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by binnie
                      Only flights in the air will be allowed to land.

Heathrow is essentially closed.....

Wonder if Blair will come back from his holidays?
                      Nope, but he has made a statement. Unfortunately we've got Prescot running the country at the minute.... Great, old Two Jags is in charge!!!!!

On a more serious note it's been claimed that the plan was to blow upwards of 10 planes up using liquid explosive over the course of a few days.
                      Roth Army Militia

Comment

They have now arrested 21 people in connection with this - lets just hope its not another Forrestgate incident....

It's a frightening world: terrorists only have to be lucky once, the security services have to be lucky every time....

Comment

Still say this smells fishier than Maggie Thatcher's cunt......

Comment

That's because you believe the US Government would murder 3,000 of it's own citizens...

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              That's because you believe the US Government would murder 3,000 of it's own citizens...
                              Mr. Presley, I have witnessed many governments do as bad or worse throughout the millenia of mortal history. And the subjects of the kingdoms never believe their so called leaders are capable, usually until it's much too late.

If you can find some Germans who were alive in the 1930's, just ask them.

Comment

Working...
                              X