Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Van Halen Rising' Book Chat with Greg Renoff - Oct. 17th, 9pm ET

Got Tweeted this morning....

@Roth_Army Working on a book on #VH's early days. 200+ intvs; many lumniaries. Blog here: http://t.co/wbuEAqLuHC— Greg Renoff (@GregRenoff) July 10, 2013
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

F-ing-A!

Comment

David and (unfortunatley) Sammy already wrote autobiographies, something tells me that it's time for the Van Halen brothers to write their side of the Van Halen story.
      How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

Groovy.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

That guy has some great pics on his page.

I love other people's tales of being there. The outsider looking in point of view puts you in the fray better than hearing it from the horses mouth sometimes. Dave's tales in his book are amazing, but there's always his slant. This looks to be a promising read indeed!

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm the guy working on the book. Huge fan; saw em first in 84. Been around VH boards for years.

I'm a professional historian and a previously published author (pop my name into Amazon and you can see my first book) so this isn't some half-cocked project. I've been slogging away on it for five years. I'm still some ways away from publication but I'm getting closer.

My goal is to document how VH broke out of Pasadena and made it to the worldwide stage in 78. I've interviewed scores of musicians (many of whom made it big in the 80s) who gigged alongside Van Halen around LA before they broke. Tons of folks who saw them in the backyards, knew em in HS, and even the hosts of the backyard parties Roth talks about in Crazy from the Heat. Many unseen pix and other items; I've been to archives from Pasadena to NYC.

And for the record, Mike is as nice as everyone says he is. Had the pleasure of spending an hour on the phone with him.

I wanted to do the book because I feared that if I didn't write it all these great stories would be lost forever and I was tired of reading the same old accounts of ("they switched instruments..Roth joins..backyard parties.....rainy night at the Starwood....), which were largely based on supposition rather than actual research.

Be patient. Van Halen Rising is coming.

Thanks ----
            Last edited by ffoner; 07-10-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

can't wait. whatever ya do, don't mention this site in the book or credits
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

Outstanding...

Just let us know how the Army can help...plenty of folks around that know plenty...

the pics are awesome...good stuff...looking forward to it...
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

Good luck with it
                  fuck your fucking framing

Comment

Originally posted by POJO_Risin View Post
                    Outstanding...

Just let us know how the Army can help...plenty of folks around that know plenty...

the pics are awesome...good stuff...looking forward to it...
                    Thanks, I appreciate it. I've lurked here for years.

Comment

In all serious...if you wheedle through all the "history" here, there is plenty of knowledge top to bottom...

Just let us all know how we can help...

The best part of the reunion for me was having the guys sit down and tell stories from the start of the band...
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

Originally posted by DLR Bridge View Post
                        That guy has some great pics on his page.

I love other people's tales of being there. The outsider looking in point of view puts you in the fray better than hearing it from the horses mouth sometimes. Dave's tales in his book are amazing, but there's always his slant. This looks to be a promising read indeed!
                        Thanks. It's going to be based on multiple perspectives of many people obviously. Official bios are great, but let's face it, how much do people remember on their own about events that happened nearly 40 years (!!) ago? (See Ozzy and Iommi's books for examples) Autobiographies can only tell part of the story. It's been like putting together a patchwork quilt to put the pieces together, but taken in total it's going to be the most complete story of how they made it.
                        Last edited by ffoner; 07-10-2013, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
                          can't wait. whatever ya do, don't mention this site in the book or credits
                          he could mention me being on the phone with Dave for 6.5 minutes during his radio show...
                          Roth Army Icon
                          First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Originally posted by POJO_Risin View Post
                            In all serious...if you wheedle through all the "history" here, there is plenty of knowledge top to bottom...

Just let us all know how we can help...

The best part of the reunion for me was having the guys sit down and tell stories from the start of the band...
                            Those black and white interviews with Roth talking to the guys were great, obviously and were very helpful for what I'm trying to do.

Oh and the guy Roth mentions in one of them because VH borrowed his truck to haul gear back in 73? Yeah, I found him.

Comment

Originally posted by ffoner View Post
                              Thanks. It's going to be based on multiple perspectives of many people obviously. Official bios are great, but let's face it, how much do people remember on their own about events that happened nearly 40 years (!!) ago? (See Ozzy and Iommi's books for examples) Autobiographies can only tell part of the story. It's been like putting together a patchwork quilt to put the pieces together, but taken it total it's going to be the most complete story of how they made it.

true that! Ozzy's bio sucks ass...it's written together by some ghosty who was going through the different documentaries and interviews from Ozzy. there was literarelly NOTHING new in the book. not so much for keef's which is a fantastic read.
                              Roth Army Icon
                              First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...
                              X