Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How many of you actually have seen Van Halen live?

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    You were at the same show as me. 20+ years ago and we may have stood in the concession line next to each other. Weird.

I was the kid with the kinda long hair wearing a Metallica shirt. I'm sure you remember.

That was you, dude!!!!!!!!

Small world.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    first time i seen vanhalen was at a local outdoor concert called the credit island jam, it was 1978-79 i think.

i was 12 years old and it was my second concert, my first being BTO at the old orpheum theatre in davenport iowa.

i went with a few friends who im still friends with today. we couldnt get permission or money to go to the concert so we all lied to our parents and said we were staying at each others houses, which was a regular occurance.

we rode innertubes across the mississippi river during the night and hid in the woods till 10 am when they were letting people in the gates.

people who brang coolers were not allowed to bring them in and were tossing beer over the fence i musta grabbed at least a 12 pack off the ground that day. mmmm warm beer and sun.

i didnt even know who vanhalen was but i did after they played, they were loud and kicked ass, eddie vanhalen really stood out and so did dave of course. i got the worst sunburn in the history of the world that day, i have the freckles to prove it.

the doobie brothers were there and sammy hagar.

in those days you could smoke a joint right in front of a cop and he would do nothing, oz of redbud was 25 bucks and filled the bag.

i seen vanhalen every tour after that usually in cedar rapids iowa, desmoines iowa or peoria illinois.

those were the days.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vh rides again View Post
    first time i seen vanhalen was at a local outdoor concert called the credit island jam, it was 1978-79 i think.

i was 12 years old and it was my second concert, my first being BTO at the old orpheum theatre in davenport iowa.

i went with a few friends who im still friends with today. we couldnt get permission or money to go to the concert so we all lied to our parents and said we were staying at each others houses, which was a regular occurance.

we rode innertubes across the mississippi river during the night and hid in the woods till 10 am when they were letting people in the gates.

people who brang coolers were not allowed to bring them in and were tossing beer over the fence i musta grabbed at least a 12 pack off the ground that day. mmmm warm beer and sun.

i didnt even know who vanhalen was but i did after they played, they were loud and kicked ass, eddie vanhalen really stood out and so did dave of course. i got the worst sunburn in the history of the world that day, i have the freckles to prove it.

the doobie brothers were there and sammy hagar.

in those days you could smoke a joint right in front of a cop and he would do nothing, oz of redbud was 25 bucks and filled the bag.

i seen vanhalen every tour after that usually in cedar rapids iowa, desmoines iowa or peoria illinois.

those were the days.
    Here ya go.... [ And yes, it's in the calendar ]

7/16/78 Credit Island, Davenport, IA

Note: Known as the Mississippi River Jam 1978 and sometimes the Iowa Jam, the bill included: Journey, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and the Doobie Brothers. This outdoor festival took place in a sweltering Iowa July heat and was plagued with delays. David Lee Roth told the nearly 35,000 fans in attendance to "Get your minds off the heat and put it in the beat." Almost 50 people were treated for heat exhaustion throughout the festival. The intense temperature also created havoc for the bands. It took over an hour for
    the sound crew to set up Journey's equipment, which was longer than their 45-minute set. In addition, at the end of the Atlanta Rhythm Section's 50-minute set a piece of their stage equipment caught fire, sending up flames from a nearby electronic panel.
    After waiting for nearly two hours close to 4,000 over-zealous fans crashed a fence before the venue opened (authorities had attempted to keep the concert-goers away from the performance area until the stage was completely erected) and almost as many
    left the performance early due to all of the delays.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Here ya go.... [ And yes, it's in the calendar ]

7/16/78 Credit Island, Davenport, IA

Note: Known as the Mississippi River Jam 1978 and sometimes the Iowa Jam, the bill included: Journey, Atlanta Rhythm Section, and the Doobie Brothers. This outdoor festival took place in a sweltering Iowa July heat and was plagued with delays. David Lee Roth told the nearly 35,000 fans in attendance to "Get your minds off the heat and put it in the beat." Almost 50 people were treated for heat exhaustion throughout the festival. The intense temperature also created havoc for the bands. It took over an hour for
    the sound crew to set up Journey's equipment, which was longer than their 45-minute set. In addition, at the end of the Atlanta Rhythm Section's 50-minute set a piece of their stage equipment caught fire, sending up flames from a nearby electronic panel.
    After waiting for nearly two hours close to 4,000 over-zealous fans crashed a fence before the venue opened (authorities had attempted to keep the concert-goers away from the performance area until the stage was completely erected) and almost as many
    left the performance early due to all of the delays.
    wow thats pretty cool, where the hell did you find that at? .

yep that is the concert i was at, thanks for finding that tidbit of info.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's burned into my memory...

J/K, it's in the VH Encyclopedia, you can download it for free here....

http://www.lulu.com/product/ebook/th...opedia/4467885

It's not as accurate as the authors portray it to be, but it's still a very good compilation of VH information....
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 07-20-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I remember when I saw the Eddie and the Hagaritas up at Merriwether Post Pavilion outside of DC in '93....

I spent the night up on the lawn drinking beer and arguing with those idiots all night long....

That is grate! Hope you ruined their concert experience!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, pretty much...

Not as good as Pojo when he flipped Sambo the double bird in '02, but right up there....

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Saw them in '84, great show. Second night of a two night stand and both were sold out. Ticket was about $13.50. Good times.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    May 20, 1984... San Diego Sports Arena....

Night BEFORE the "Sundown in San Diego" bootleg.....

Nice time for a bump, since we have a lot of new members....

It was 27 years ago today.....

Some blurry thoughts of that time....

I was going to Navy schools in San Diego for most of '84 until I transferred to Japan late in the year.....

Van Halen was in San Diego for three nights in '84, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.... I went to the Sunday show (hence my avatar).....

The entire city was all Van Halen.... Everywhere you went, whether it was downtown, in the bars or on the beach, the city was abuzz because Van Halen was in town....

And that's the biggest thing that the youngin's just don't understand about how huge Van Halen was then.... They totally engrossed the city that they came to, in the newspapers and TV and radio.....

My friends and I had upper deck tickets, but we never got close to those.... We walked around the inner concourse until the houselights went down then snuck by the usher to one of the lower bowl seats on Eddie's side....

And, of course, because the 1984 stage was so HUGE, once the spotlight hit on Eddie, and he started wailing on "Unchained", Ed was right fucking there....

There's not too many moments in the show that I remember now that many brain cells have been fried.... I do remember that "I'll Wait" was my piss break song.....

Probably the best memory is just the sense of how frenzied the crowd was.... Van Halen was basically playing in it's backyard, they were on top of the music world, and it just made for an incredible show....

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It was April of 1978. My friends and I had gone to Sid's Records in the Lakes Mall to get tickets for Ronnie Montrose, who was touring on his amazing Open Fire instrumental solo album. We were perplexed that Montrose was not at the top of the bill, instead sandwiched between two bands we'd never heard of, Journey at the top and Van Halen at the bottom. Having unknowns open the show was nothing new at the Hollywood Sportatorium, which was little more than a concrete bunker with a leaky roof a million miles from no where in the middle of the Everglades, used to promote live stock sales, car shows and the occasional concert. Usually, these groups would be made up of has-beens and never-will-be types like Ginger Baker's Air Force, delivering unwanted drum solos on unsuspecting ticket buyers.

So it was with this sense of chagrin the news that VH and Journey were on the bill was greeted by me and my friends. That was until one of the record shop workers spun the first VH album for us, as a preview. The album had only been out for a couple of months by then, and since there was no radio play (let alone no internet), nobody had ever heard of it. Needless to say, it sounded pretty good, this despite the fact that the singer apparently stole everything he had from Black Oak Arkansas' Jim Dandy Mangrum. The guitar player was pretty astounding, too. Right then and there, it was agreed that we'd get to the show and rather than kill time in the parking lot getting loaded in order to miss the opening act, we'd get there early in order to get loaded in the parking lot and not miss the opener.

Van Halen did not disappoint, even though they only played for what seemed like 25 minutes. The singer pointed to the back in order to acknowledge his grandmother, who lived locally and never missed Dave when he pulled through town. (True story, this delightful little old lady became quite the fixture at VH and Roth solo shows over the years. I met her a few times, and she was always charming as hell. She really seemed to enjoy the attention she was receiving from all of the concert goers, and seemed to become everyone's favorite grandma.) The band played about seven or eight songs from that first album, the guitarist did a jaw-dropping solo, and then they were gone, despite pleas from the audience for more (so much for being a band low on the totem pole).

Ronnie Montrose came on, standing center stage and surrounded by two keyboards, a massive drum set and bassist, who were all above him on these tower-like structures. It was an astounding performance, as he worked his way through his solo record and one or two Montrose tunes done as instrumentals. To say these songs were vastly improved without Sammy Hagar's caterwauling would be an understatement. Anyway, these losers Journey (touring the ghastly Infinity album) finally came on, and roughly 3/4 of the audience headed for the exits, us included. Nobody had ever heard of them, and the reason for this was made abundantly clear by their first song, which consisted of some la-de-dahs, some fruity chord changes and a lead singer who seemed to believe he was the white Sam Cooke.

That was my very first exposure to live VH. Even playing for less than a half hour, they managed to make an impact on me during that first tour, and it would appear that I was not alone in that reaction. It also probably explains my life-long, sheer and utter contempt for Journey.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    It was April of 1978. My friends and I had gone to Sid's Records in the Lakes Mall...
    Holy shit! I remember Sid's! They hosted record shows in that mall all the time. That's actually where I bought my first VH boot on CD - Dressed to Kill. Ahhh, the memories...

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    never got to see the o.e. lineup
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Holy shit! I remember Sid's! They hosted record shows in that mall all the time. That's actually where I bought my first VH boot on CD - Dressed to Kill. Ahhh, the memories...
    Yep. Technically, it was Sid's West, as there was another location down on Sunrise Blvd about a block before the ocean. That was where you'd have to go to get all of those cool imports and bootlegs back then. Peaches opened up sometime in the mid-seventies, but if you were a dedicated rock music fan, you simply cruised right past it and went to Sid's East.

There was another great music store located near Sears'town called Open Books And Records. It was in that weird little plaza by the railroad tracks on Andrews called (I think) Viscaya Center.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    July 25th 1981 at the old Boston Garden. I stood in line at the old Ticketron Outlet with a hundred other kids when they went on sale. It was located in the Sears dept. store at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree and we were all snaked around the store. I think I paid $10.50 per ticket, hehe. Me and 3 friends went in on the train, people were passing joints up and down the seats on the train,lol. We had lower loge seats which were great!! Awesome view!! I actually have a boot of that show and can remember when Dave was talking about seeing the circus there when he lived in Brookline, cause I used to see it there when I was a kid!! Lol...It was a great show and now it's one of my sons favorite bands!! We saw them together 3 times when they came around here in 07-08...can't wait to go again...Maybe we'll take my grandson...Jeez I'm gettin old LOL!!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bb64 View Post
    July 25th 1981 at the old Boston Garden. I stood in line at the old Ticketron Outlet with a hundred other kids when they went on sale. It was located in the Sears dept. store at the South Shore Plaza in Braintree and we were all snaked around the store. I think I paid $10.50 per ticket, hehe. Me and 3 friends went in on the train, people were passing joints up and down the seats on the train,lol. We had lower loge seats which were great!! Awesome view!! I actually have a boot of that show and can remember when Dave was talking about seeing the circus there when he lived in Brookline, cause I used to see it there when I was a kid!! Lol...It was a great show and now it's one of my sons favorite bands!! We saw them together 3 times when they came around here in 07-08...can't wait to go again...Maybe we'll take my grandson...Jeez I'm gettin old LOL!!
    3 generation show is what gettin' old is about !!!

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The VH Encyclopedia! Ha! Cool!

The 1980 show @ Riverfront....I thought it was in March..but I guess it was April. I mean, I was 15, don't expect me to remember!

What I do remember, is that it was the first ROWDY rock show after The Who stampede, and the cops were kicking ass and taking names...just for smoking...ANYTHING..inside the building. The house ligts came on several times, and it began to annoy Dave, and that's when I first heard DLR rant. Not only did he tell everyone to "light up", he busted the Hamilton county Sherriff's balls as well as the Fire Marshalls', along with some other city officials...when it became evident that they weren't going to stop turning the lights on and ruin the show, Dave pauses and says, "It don't fucking matter if they turn the lights on!" The goddam law was creating more of a problem than the band or the crowd was, and we all knew it..it got tense in there for a few minutes...and when you're 15 at your very first rock show, you get nervous!

But they continued, played "Light Up the Sky", finished the show with 3 high-energy, kick-ass encores, and I got outta there a changed human being.

Funny story about the 81 show tho.....Middle of football season, on a Saturday, no school, game was the night before, I'm chillin' at the house, and this guy shows up at my house to pick up my older sister, who was 20 at the time, for a date.

SO he's there to pick up my sister (who stood him up, obviously) accompanied by his friend and some girl his friend was with.

I tell him she's not here, and he says to his friend, "well fuck! What am I going to do with this ticket?"

I said "what ticket?" (I didn't know VH were even in town)

He said, "We were supposed to go to the VH concert tonight."

I knew the guy. He graduated the previous year.

I said," Van Halen?!?! Scoot over, motherfucker!!"

An that was it...
    Last edited by hideyoursheep; 05-20-2011 at 12:22 PM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i'm gonna run out of thanks in this thread quickly....

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ive seen DLR 4 times: 6/99 8/02 8/03 9/03 VH 3 times on last tour: 10/30/07 11/07/07 5/28/08
    Last edited by 6discs2die4; 05-20-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    7 year old thread...talk about necromancy.

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Yep. Technically, it was Sid's West, as there was another location down on Sunrise Blvd about a block before the ocean. That was where you'd have to go to get all of those cool imports and bootlegs back then. Peaches opened up sometime in the mid-seventies, but if you were a dedicated rock music fan, you simply cruised right past it and went to Sid's East.

There was another great music store located near Sears'town called Open Books And Records. It was in that weird little plaza by the railroad tracks on Andrews called (I think) Viscaya Center.
    I recall a record shop on Sunrise, east of the Intracoastal next to Pizza Shack - I assume that was it? I remember going when I was very young, like maybe 7 or 8 with my dad. There were tons of posters everywhere... and nothing but vinyl ...

I was shocked when Peaches closed... it was an institution! And now it's a Hustler store... sign of the times?

26-21
    ROTH ARMY ELITE

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownSound1 View Post

When a band leaves such an impression on you for 30 plus years, I guess it's expected.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownSound1 View Post
    And ???

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was shocked when Peaches closed... it was an institution! And now it's a Hustler store... sign of the times?
    That really told you that the internet had pretty much doomed the record business. Then again, that entire area has become fairly creepy after dark in the past 7-8 years.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I stood in line at the old Ticketron Outlet with a hundred other kids when they went on sale. It was located in the Sears dept. store...
    those were the daze

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lumbergh View Post
    Let's see, I've only posted this about 700 times .........San Francisco 1984.........like Terry said, one of my endurining memories is that it seemed like the band was hardly all on stage together at one time.
    Bill Lumbergh...now THERE was an ace dude...shit, approaching ten years since the Army came back up online fulltime...Tom Vu, Millionaire!
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Please Note:Bill Is Still On The WHAM World Tour.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Haha I've been to that Hustler store, must have been a pretty big record store back in the day. Probably the fanciest sex shop I've ever been to.

I've seen the last two tours... the 2004 show was a huge waste of money. How do I know when it's love or whatever as the encore was an insult to VH fans. Back in 1998 I saw them in Hershey in the 12th row and they burned the house down. It was the best concert I'd seen at that point, and the Westwood One recording is a nice memento. Unchained and Mean Streets were the highlights. Gary Cherone didn't bother me that much. Hey that's what you get when you were born in 1979.
    gnaw on it

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ODShowtime View Post
    Haha I've been to that Hustler store, must have been a pretty big record store back in the day. Probably the fanciest sex shop I've ever been to.
    It used to be an old A&P supermarket before Peaches moved in. The thing is, it took so much money to stock all that square footage that the store was losing money from the beginning. You could go in there at times and there would be little on the shelves, but the cut-out bins (records sold at a loss or free record company promos with a slash or part of the sleeve "cut-out") would be overflowing. Between 1977 and 1979, it was a wasteland. When CDs came along it briefly saved things, but once again the problems with keeping the store filled with product came back. Next thing you know, they were selling guitar accessories, clothing, sunglasses...you name it. This failed too, and the store closed. It remained vacant until Larry Flynt came along, and just like when it was Peaches, it has become a money losing tourist attraction more than a store. And as I said earlier, the surrounding neighborhood is dubious at best once the sun goes down.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ODShowtime View Post

I've seen the last two tours... the 2004 show was a huge waste of money. How do I know when it's love or whatever as the encore was an insult to VH fans. Back in 1998 I saw them in Hershey in the 12th row and they burned the house down. It was the best concert I'd seen at that point, and the Westwood One recording is a nice memento. Unchained and Mean Streets were the highlights. Gary Cherone didn't bother me that much. Hey that's what you get when you were born in 1979.
    Ed could still bring it live when Cherone was in the band.

The waste of it was that the VH3 period SHOULD have instead been used to write, record and tour an album with Roth, simply because Ed still COULD play well and was capable of coming up with decent ideas.

Nothing that has transpired since the new millenium rolled around convinces me that Ed has either compelling musical ideas or the technical ability to execute them; when he clearly struggles to play his old material, it ain't a good sign for the future. I hope the dude is able to conjure up the fire to make those Aussie dates worthwhile for the Army members down there. There's really no excuse for him not to, and any EVH apologists can spare me the "oh, Ed's got arthritis/complications from cancer" biz as an excuse: if he can't cut the mustard, he shouldn't be charging money for people to watch him futz around onstage.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, pretty much...

Not as good as Pojo when he flipped Sambo the double bird in '02, but right up there....
    I don't think Sam's ever been quite the same since...with his Alien abdusction and all = delusional
    Roth Army Canada

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

He sure could. The fact that he looks like he is living a relatively healthy lifestyle bodes well. A name producer involved with Shanks means we won't have a revisit of VH III.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have seen Van Halen beginning with the 5150 tour. The 5150 show was incredibly good. I have never seen Eddie so full of energy & geniune happiness. The guy was relentless that night. Was at his prime and it is a crime it wasn't with Dave as he was also at his prime on the EEAS tour.

OU812, FUCK, Balance steadily declined in the goodness of the shows. Still better than what most bands were giving out. Also saw them in 1988 headlining the Monsters Of Rock shows. Metallica owned.

Saw them at the Del Mar county fair with Cherone. I left 2/3 of the way through. Gary was just horrible and it just ruined the whole fucking thing for me. Only song I truly enjoyed was 'Somebody Get Me a Doctor' with Michael Anthony singing. They should not have hired Cherone and just had Mike sing and be a 3-man band. I remember walking through the parking lot & hearing Panama. I was crushed cause it was not Van Halen anymore.

Saw the 2004 reunion with Hagar. HORRIBLE. And NOT because of Sammy. Sam did his best & gave 100% on the night I saw them. The problem was Eddie. He played sloppy, you could cut the tension on stage with a knife it was so apparent. And he kept his back to the crowd most of the night. It was very weird and a shitty way to treat a paying audience.

Saw them in 2007. First time with Dave singing. It was like a religious experience for me. Was the greatest show I have ever seen. Thousands of grown men with tears of joy in their eyes when the lights hit and Dave was waving that red flag. It was great...beyond great.

Saw Dave on EEAS, Skyscraper & A Little Aint Enough. EEAS was mind blowing. The others you could see a steady decline...very much mirroring the decline in the Van Hagar shows. Also saw him in Jan 2000 at the House Of Blues. DLR band tour I think.

Saw Dave opening night at Ballys in Las Vegas for his Vegas show. Was very cool and weird at the same time. He played only 2 VH songs. Jump & Ice Cream Man. Oddly, the best song of the night was 'Free Ride'. Dave nailed the hell out of it.

Oh...and in 2002 I saw the Sam & Dave show. Funny, it was at the US Fest grounds in San Bernardino. Dave opened. Both put on great shows but Dave clearly won the night. Mike came out & played a few with Sammy. I wish he would have done the same with Dave. Would also have been cool to see Sam & Dave do a closing number together. I bet that tour really got under Eddies skin...which made it all the better.

Lastly...I have seen the Atomic Punks about 6 times. That was always a fun show.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    F.U.C.K. tour I ponied up for front row seats for 6 of us. At the ticket agency they had front-center available, but I wanted section C which is the side Eddie is on. The lady thought I was crazy for not getting center, but I wanted to be as close to Eddie as possible just once to watch him perform up close. Fucking worth every cent once he did that solo.

Disposable camera and the negatives got tossed around over the years. Sorry for the shit pics. But gives you an idea. I love EVH!

Touching my girlfriends hand. She was so fucking happy and that was all she talked about for a week after. Bitch! Should have been me.
    Last edited by sadaist; 05-22-2011 at 02:28 AM.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    couple more

...getting the crowd to cheer..

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Necropost....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    THE MIGHTY VAN HALEN!

9/29/78 Seattle, WA
    7/19/79 Wichita, KS
    10/16/81 Wichita, KS
    11/24/82 Wichita, KS

vanhagar
    5/28/86 Wichita, KS
    7/10/88 Kansas City, MO

Dave

8/30/86 Wichita, KS
    12/2/99 Wichita, KS
    8/3/02 Gnashville

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverberator View Post
    I saw Dave on Skyscraper and Lil ain' t enough tours here in good old blighty , missed the mighty VH in 1980 & 1984 , bastard !

Fuck Van Hagar .
    I hope you are not a Birmingham City fan......

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have only seen them with Gary Cherone. CVH and Van Hagar never toured Australia so I was desperate. I would have gone to see a Van Hagar show in Australia during the Van Hagar era, but had they come here in 2004 - no way.

The VH3 show wasn't bad and, funny enough, Adelaide's 10,000 capacity Entertainment Centre was packed to the rafters.

So you can imagine how having never seen Dave-VH, Australia is getting VERY excited about the 2011 VH tour Down Under.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post

The waste of it was that the VH3 period SHOULD have instead been used to write, record and tour an album with Roth, simply because Ed still COULD play well and was capable of coming up with decent ideas.

Nothing that has transpired since the new millenium rolled around convinces me that Ed has either compelling musical ideas or the technical ability to execute them; when he clearly struggles to play his old material, it ain't a good sign for the future. I hope the dude is able to conjure up the fire to make those Aussie dates worthwhile for the Army members down there. There's really no excuse for him not to, and any EVH apologists can spare me the "oh, Ed's got arthritis/complications from cancer" biz as an excuse: if he can't cut the mustard, he shouldn't be charging money for people to watch him futz around onstage.

Yes - Eddie was amazing on the VH3 tour. I'm not a guitar player but I spent most of the show being amazed by him.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DLR Solo (which, BTW) was almost as awesome as the actual VH thing with a tight crew:
    House of Blues, Sunset Strip (Hollyweird)
    House of Blues, Anaheim
    Universal Studios, Orlando, FL
    Catalyst, Santa Cruz
    Nugget, Reno, NV (weird audience & strange room)
    Pala Casino, San Diego (Outdoor Concert - Rocked!)

VH (w/DAVE):
    Charlotte, NC - Start of 2007 Tour
    Los Angeles, CA - Tour 2007
    Los Angeles, CA - Tour 2008
    Had ticket (still have) for Cow Palace, San Francisco (1982) - didn't go in favor of hanging w/new boyfriend...WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE! Major Regret...
    "Meet us in the Future.....NOT the Pasture".......DLR, August '07, VH Press Conference - Tour '07-'08

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Had ticket (still have) for Cow Palace, San Francisco (1982) - didn't go in favor of hanging w/new boyfriend...WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE! Major Regret...
    that is a goddam shame

Thread Information