Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How many of you actually have seen Van Halen live?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayLA View Post
    Van Halen is first band I was onboard with from their debut album. I'd have to dig out my ticket stubs to be sure but I mostly saw them in Madison, WI on tours for VH II, WACF, FW, Diver Down 2x and 1984 2x.
    So you saw them in Madison when they trashed the Sheraton Hotel on the VH II tour....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    So you saw them in Madison when they trashed the Sheraton Hotel on the VH II tour....
    VH trashed the Madison Sheraton on their first tour and they mention it on their II album.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Schultz View Post
    VH trashed the Madison Sheraton on their first tour and they mention it on their II album.
    Yup, you're right, I stand corrected....

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i remember the EEAS tour in madison. they were filmin' and takin' photos that night. the next week or so, the new mags came out and we all had tried to get in the pic with dave turned around on the stage with the crowd in the background. our friend jim was the only guy that got in the pic.
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

General Secretaty
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    Yup, you're right, I stand corrected....
    No worries. VH's visit to Madison in 1978 is well documented in the book "Rock and Roll Fantasy" by Susan Masino.

shit faced
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have that pic on the front of my concert log i keep along with my ticket stubs. I too was on the floor for that pic, Dave said i got the people mag
    photographer here tonite, Dave pulled him up on stage. Seen Dave there twice and VH on 1984 tour. Dane county coliseum sept,12 1986.Then seen him on feb,6 1988 in Green bay which is were i live.NOTE= Now called the Alliant energy center.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mug View Post
    I have that pic on the front of my concert log i keep along with my ticket stubs. I too was on the floor for that pic, Dave said i got the people mag
    photographer here tonite, Dave pulled him up on stage. Seen Dave there twice and VH on 1984 tour. Dane county coliseum sept,12 1986.Then seen him on feb,6 1988 in Green bay which is were i live.NOTE= Now called the Alliant energy center.
    One True Van Halen Fan.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mug View Post
    ** Verified by the #1 CVH/DLR Calendar on the Internet Tubes **

This Day in CVH/DLR History

Van Halen plays at Gazzarri's in West Hollywood, CA.

Van Halen plays the Indianapolis Convention Center in Indianapolis, IN. Black Sabbath is the headliner.

Van Halen plays the McNichols Arena in Denver, CO.

Van Halen plays the Sam Houston Coliseum in Houston, TX. G-Force is the opening act.

Van Halen plays the Fabulous Forum in Los Angeles, CA. ATF is the opening act.

David Lee Roth plays the Dane County Coliseum in Madison, WI.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i was just old enough to drive myself there! new license and all.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    i was just old enough to drive myself there! new license and all.
    Driving Miss Daisy?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    nope, miss tracy
    Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 06-08-2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: boobs

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sweet As.

shit faced
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The ticket says sept.12. College was in session. We partyed at some campus parties.ummmmmm

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Emerald City Chronicle was local paper in Madison, WI (Home of The Onion) that had write-up on Van Halen and their 1978 club date at The Shuffle Inn. Note Michael wearing a Mad City t-shirt.

See story of that issue here http://cgi.ebay.com/1978-Emerald-Mil...-/390312610350
    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 06-09-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Both dates in Kansas City in 1978 the first one I had heard them on the radio but they were so knew I didn't really notice who was on the ticket with I believe Ozzy we were all standing around bs'ing and the warm up band was setting up then Ed struck a cord and started Eruption, maybe ? I just remember the whole concert hall stopped talking and every head slowly turned towards the stage in awe....within seconds my world changed and I found what perhaps is the greatest band in history, in front of my naked steaming eyes.

Great music, from other acts I like a varied book, great music after, many shows never a Hagar w VH and as I have stated here before I haven't purchased any of the original 6 since DLR split I didn't want any national record of sales enabling anyone to think I didn't leave when Dave left.

I have always thought in my head that I was perhaps to biased but that night in 78 was reallly something outstanding.

It's just like this folks, It's only Rock and Roll and if it is good done well, I am down.

Not looking for a miracle from a some new music, just good done well...
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 06-09-2011 at 03:11 AM.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I recall that band G Force opening for them in 1981. They fucking sucked. Loud ass bullshit music, with the lead shouter (who played "SYNTHESIZER") screaming into the mic once in awhile "OK LET'S SEE HOW IT SOUNDS ON SYNTHESIZER!!!!!" and then he would play a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Just one of many bands VH had open for them who were lame, or outright sucked fucking ass.

Their 1979 tour they had some band from Illinois (I think) open for them in Wichita called Screams. They did not suck, but they were extremely lame. Like a lame cover band from a shit-hole club that got lucky and was asked to open for VH.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    I recall that band G Force opening for them in 1981. They fucking sucked. Loud ass bullshit music, with the lead shouter (who played "SYNTHESIZER") screaming into the mic once in awhile "OK LET'S SEE HOW IT SOUNDS ON SYNTHESIZER!!!!!" and then he would play a bunch of fucking bullshit.

Just one of many bands VH had open for them who were lame, or outright sucked fucking ass.
    When they played South Florida on the HYS tour, they had some ghastly horn band opening for them. To this day I couldn't name the band with a gun to my head, but I do recall that they took home quite a collection of batteries, bottles, cups and wadded-up garbage as a souvenir of the experience after the crowd pelted them off the stage.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    When they played South Florida on the HYS tour, they had some ghastly horn band opening for them.
    Was that at the old 'Snortatorium'?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Was that at the old 'Snortatorium'?
    Oh, hell yes. Also (not-so) affectionately known as the "Puke-atorium", the list of groups that played that hole in the Everglades over the years is astounding. It boggles the mind to think that Zeppelin once played there. Here's a partial list:

Hollywood Sportatorium

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In 1984 I was in front of Van Halen's stage and this rock a billy band called The Velcros were the opening act. The audience hated them. People started throwing shit at the band. A half pint liquor bottle flew over my head. Some dude threw a handful of loose change as hard as he could at one of the guitar players and you could hear all the coins hit the hollow wood body of it. Anyways, the audience drove the fuckers off the stage early. It was great.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 06-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=2zTazVv6OIs

I remember seeing The Velcros. They opened up for Van Halen in Los Angeles in 1984. We nearly booed them off the stage. In fact, I think they were booed off stage. They don't seem so bad now that I see them 25 years later.

cvjucla3 2 years ago
    Whatever booking agent put these nice fellas on the same bill as Van Halen was a sadist. In their defense this band ALWAYS got people up and dancing when they played the Northeast club scene. In retrospect what they/we needed was originals. But hindsight is, as they say, 20/20. Cheers.

usmcfutball 2 years ago
    @cvjucla3 They Got Booed but never left

uhad2bethere100 9 months ago

i never knew sadaist was in the biz
    Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 06-09-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: boobs

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post

Their 1979 tour they had some band from Illinois (I think) open for them in Wichita called Screams. They did not suck, but they were extremely lame. Like a lame cover band from a shit-hole club that got lucky and was asked to open for VH.
    I think VH purposely had very lame bands open for them. What's funny is when VH was the opening act they upstaged the headliners. Anyways having a shitty band piss the audience off primes them to go totally ape shit when the lights go down, Eddie's guitar starts making noise and Roth comes out in some crazy outfit yelling that the audience are the biggest bunch of crazy motherfuckers he has ever seen. Of course he said that in every town but the audience would respond with high decibels of craziness and then it was off to the races.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever booking agent put these nice fellas on the same bill as Van Halen was a sadist.

I thought the drunk rednecks in the audience in Idaho were going to kill them. It reminded me of that scene in the Blues Brothers movie.

Atomic Drunk
    Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Diver Down and 1984 tours at Capital Centre in Largo, MD.

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF first time I saw VH live was in 1993 during their European tour.

Second time was an open-air show in , I guess 1995 and, they had to open for ...............................BON JOVI !!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it ????????????/

I do, why??? Because this was ( also ) a Van Hagar show, that's why !!!!!

I've seen Dave 5 times playing live and met him during an interview in Holland for Dutch TV !!!

The shows I've been were : 4 Sept 1988 during the Skyscraper-tour (1st Monsters of Rock ever in Holland ) outdoor show this was a KICK-ASS show
    1988 also Skyscraper-tour// indoor// full show , show above was more like 'greatest hits' happening
    1991 Little ain't enough tour //indoor//full show
    1999 Amsterdam Paradiso
    1999 Tilburg 013 both in Holland, those were the 2 'warm-up' shows for the European tour

There are bootlegs ( got them all ofcourse ) from all of these shows but from 1 of the '99 shows is the title : Pot is legal around here!!! ( Tilburg, June 1999)

You know why??? Çause me and my pal were smokin' pot in front of stage and throwed a half joint to the guitar player during the song Ain't talkin' bout love,
    Dave was talking during the break in this song and the giutar player started to early with playing, so Dave was yelling at him , take it easy Bud take it easy,( or don't get nervous ) you know :
    Pot is legal around here hahaha!!!

During the day we've met the band members and some roadies in town already and buyed some pot for them and we're having dinner with those guys!! I've talked a lot with the bass-player Todd Jensen ( real nice guy ) but we didn't met Dave!!!

We get some backstage passes so we thought to met him later BUT!!! At the end of the show ( during Unchained ) there was something not right on stage ( some cables !! in the way) and Dave went completely pisses off and no one could use their backstage-passes after the show because he left the building immediatly after the show ( asshole!!)

I think he was a little "tired" from the show one day before in Amsterdam!!! There they did their sound-check 15 minutes before the show!!! Why??? because
    of a little too much : & &

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So after the 'Tilburg' show ( 1999 ) we did get some tour shirts from one of the roadies because he felt sorry for us!!!

My pal was that frustrated that he isn't a Roth fan anymore, and he was a big one.

From bootlegs till ciggi-butts, he collected everything from VH & DLR till that fxxxxx moment !!!

"So this is "?!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rocking ron View Post
    Second time was an open-air show in , I guess 1995 and, they had to open for ...............................BON JOVI !!!!!!!!!!!! Can you believe it ????????????/

I do, why??? Because this was ( also ) a Van Hagar show, that's why !!!!!

Ugh. That still stings.

The might Van Halen reduced to opening for Bon Jovi. I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"

Made me sick to my stomach. Now that Dave is back as captain of this ship, it ain't gonna happen Jon. Hope you got that show on tape, cause that's the only way you will see that bullshit happen again.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"

Wow after hearing that I would've been doubled over sick!!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    "I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"

Wow after hearing that I would've been doubled over sick!!

I swear I am not making that up. I can't remember if it was a Behind the Music or some other type thing that followed them around. But Jon said that. Someone here has to be able to concur.

For the record...I kinda liked Bon Jovi in the early 80's. Still think Runaway is a decent tune. Saw them with 2 girls in 88' or so. TWO GIRLS! TWO! 2! Holy fuck I thought I was hot shit that night. The whole show I was thinking of the awesome 3-some that was coming. Sadly I got nothing. But motherfuck if I didn't look like a cool dude walking around with a rocker chick hottie on each arm that night. That was awesome!

*Jodi and Tiffany.....hell yeah I remember

Dysfunction Junction
    Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They opened for Bon Jovi? Dude, that's an insult and a half.
    Unfortunately I've never seen them live in person, but it's top of my To-Do-Before-I-Die list. Along with kicking that Bieber kid in the face.
    I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut.

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Also God've cried that day, it was raining during the VH show hahaha

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wasn't it said that when Autograph opened for them they asked them to pull back on the guitar playing because he sounded like Ed?

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, but it wasn't because of the "Ed" you are thinking of...

Ron
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It wasn't Ed Zeppelin either??!!!

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i have been to 13 vh shows and counting
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave solo in 1986. My first concert. NJ

Van Hagar-88 Worcester MA

Sans Halen--- 2003- CT

Van Hagar 04--Meadowlands

VAN HALEN- October 2007- CT, Mohegan Sun.
    "Can't you hear Jamies cryin? Shes runnin with the Devil oh nooooo!!! oh no!

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Texxas Jam 1- Cotton Bowl: 7/1/1978
    Texxas Jam II- Cotton Bowl: 6/9/1979
    Midland Texas Chaparral Center: 7/15/1979: Stage Barricade collapse almost got smashed to death. Nice scars to remember the event.
    Texxas Jam 1986 (Van Hagar) 7/19/1986

Never too old to Rock and Roll

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Ugh. That still stings.

The might Van Halen reduced to opening for Bon Jovi. I remember a clip of Jon Bon Jovi saying something along the lines of "we knew we were finally the biggest band in the world because we had Van Halen opening for us"
    That quote was painful to read even knowing the fact. It was in Europe but still, how badly did vhagar need the money? No way would vh with Dave be reduced to opening for bon jovi which I thought would be a one-album kind of band. Was I wrong. They have become the most successful American band. VH should've been in that spot.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mohican View Post
    That quote was painful to read even knowing the fact. It was in Europe but still, how badly did vhagar need the money? No way would vh with Dave be reduced to opening for bon jovi which I thought would be a one-album kind of band. Was I wrong. They have become the most successful American band. VH should've been in that spot.

Agree.

Don't get me wrong, I kinda like some Bon Jovi for what it is. Chick & radio friendly pop rock. Catchy tunes & all, good looking guys fronting the band, million dollar smiles, etc... I don't begrudge Bon Jovi any of the success they have received.

But in no universe should their supporting act be the mighty Van Halen. (luckily for us it was NOT VH that opened, but Van Hagar. I just wish next time Jon Bon Jovi mentions it that someone reminds him of that very important fact)

Sorry to correct you Mr Bon Jovi, but Van Halen never opened for your band. It was Van HAGAR.

Would love to see his expression.

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    I've never heard of VH ever opening for Bon Jovi. In '95? VH was still going strong even w/ Hagar, why would they have done that??
    This space for rent.

Thread Information