DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-08-2016 @ 02:28 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Thanks. I was looking at the Red Hook one yesterday...
    Copper is the best of The Hooks....

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Well... since they stopped making Double Black Stout anyway....
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 08:29 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I have been inspired by glancing through the FORD beercyclopedia this last week to branch out of the increasingly dull world of European lagers.

Yes, for many a year now I have been a lazy and habitual lager drinker - with occasional bouts of Guinness (original) fever. Two things are making me rethink my drink of choice - 1. I am pretty fed up of bars that don't know how to serve a decent pint, both in terms of temperature and because they often allow the pint they pour to become too lively with gas, or whatever. The bottled versions are usually fine, if available. 2. The sodding British government, which has placed a levy on beers / lagers over 5% abv - to save our young people from alcoholism, running the streets smashing up cars, or something they do, apparently, when they drink something as 'strong' as a 5% lager, such as the infamous Stella Artois used to be (alas, it is now 4.5%, I think, having once been 5.2% ABV). This has meant all the big brewers are dropping beers to ABV to 4.5-4.8%.

I have to say I find it impossible to get a buzz from a drink so weak. I don't drink to get blotto, but I do like a nice warm glow after a few. So, I ended up today loading up with a variety of strange brews (for me) to sample, and so far I am very much enjoying it.

Right now I am drinking this, Brooklyn Lager,

I discovered as soon as I tasted it, is not really a lager, but more of an ale. A very distinctive and flowery kind of hoppy taste, if my taste buds are not already ruined ... I absolutely love it. I wonder if that would wear off after more than a couple, however (that has often been my problem with beers / ales, as opposed to lagers)

By contrast, and this is the first time I had tried it, I had immediately before this a very dry and bitter Vedett Extra Blond:

I can't say that I enjoyed it greatly, but it was okay. Drunk from the bottle, so I did not get the skunky aroma that some of the reviewers at the above link mentioned.

It's dry bitterness was probably even more apparent because I originally began with a drink that is not a beer, so I am not sure it belongs here, but I would nonetheless like to salure it's magnificent refereshing qualities, especially following the couple of hours I had just spent cleaning the house - Stone's Ginger Joe:

I have never been a drinker of alcopops - I don't know if this would be classed as one, but I am a ginger beer fan. So, I am glad I gave this a try. A refreshing alcoholic drink, especially after doing physical work - not too strong at 4% ABV. It was very difficult to even tell it was an alcoholic drink from the taste alone, but you can feel it is.

Okay, three down, many more to go ...

4. 3 users say thank you to VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

FORD (08-24-2012),PETE'S BROTHER (08-24-2012),vandeleur (08-24-2012)

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Halloween 2012 entry - Guest reviewer: Satan T. Devil

As you might have guessed, Halloween is a big holiday down here in Hell, so I took a trip upstairs to find some decent beer earlier this evilning. Being a fan of the Beercyclapedia, and intrigued by FORD's previous entries on winter beers, I thought I would track some down. Even though winter itself doesn't really exist where I come from. But just I was reaching for the Snow Cap ale, I saw something next to it that caught my Most Unholy attention......

Outburst is a refreshingly bitter Imperial IPA. With 80 IBUs and 8.5% ABV, our dry-hopped Imperial IPA delivers a bold taste with a massive hop flavor.

And they ain't kidding! Seems like the northwest IPAs- while very drinkable - never quite measured up to such Northern California offerings such as Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin or my personal favorite, Hop Devil (see previous review earlier in this thread). But Pyramid has finally produced one HELL of a contender, and in this Devil's opinion, has produced the most unholiest IPA in the West.

Satan's rating

6. Thanked Satan for this KICKASS post:

FORD (11-01-2012)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Let me introduce Bacchus - a nice little Belgian Raspberry beer, named after the god of - well - booze.

I love the taste of this stuff, but would probably recommend no more than one or two in succession due to the sweet flavour.

As you can see it comes in its own fine wrapping, which I intend to recycle on Christmas gifts.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Looks interesting.... though I don't know if I'll ever find that stuff around here. Probably the closest I'll get to that is Frambozen from the New Belgium brewery in Colorado.....

Pretty sure I've posted a review of this somewhere earlier in the Beercyclopedia. I don't usually drink "fruity" beers, but this one goes great with holiday meals. I might pick up a 6 pack for Turkey Day this week.... since the odds are I won't be able to track down any Samuel Adams Cranberry Lambic anywhere on the West Coast.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Great Article from Men's Health

6 Surprisingly Healthy Beers
    Stock your six-pack with these beers for a side of health benefits with your buzz.

By Dan Israeli

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
    If you got a taste for hops, pale ales (usually known as India Pale Ales or IPAs) pack a hops punch that is usually 50 times stronger than your average beer. While more hops means more alcohol content, calories and carbs, it also means a higher content of polyphenols, an antioxidant that lowers cholesterol and fights cancer. Sierra Nevada is one of the most widely available pale ale brands on the market; just make sure to grab the standard edition, which contains a reasonable 175 calories, compared to Sierra Nevada IPA (231 calories) or worse, Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (a whopping 330 calories).

The Rest of the Article

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Sierra Nevada is actually a great beer. Expensive but great.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

I enjoy the grapefruit'ish finish...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Alright listen up, Beercyclopedia fans.....

It's St. Paddy's day next week, and your mission is to find that nectar of the Irish Gods, Guinness.

Now of course you can find the Guinness Draught, the Guinness Extra Stout, or even that not all that impressive Guinness Black Lager just about anywhere. But what you should be looking for is this.....

This is the REAL deal - the Guinness that has been available to the rest of the world for years. It's allegedly available in the US now, though I have not seen it yet. If there was ever a week to have it on display in the damn stores, this would be it.

Here's some more details from an old press release.....

Tuesday, September 28th is National Drink Beer Day! As if you didn’t already have reason to raise a pint, GUINNESS Irish Stout is proud to announce its U.S. launch of GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout (FES) on October 1st. The fullest in flavor of the GUINNESS brand variants, GUINNESS FES is carbonated unlike the nitrogenated GUINNESS Draught with which most Americans are familiar. The specialty beer is 7.5% ABV and possesses strong, roasted aromas followed by a unique bittersweet taste. Foreign Extra Stout is already a favorite of many around the world, making up 45% of GUINNESS sales globally, and is sure to be a favorite of beer aficionados here in the U.S.

GUINNESS Foreign Extra Stout (FES) is brewed with the highest hop rate of all the GUINNESS variants. The generous hop additions express fully the beers distinctive character and flavor while also prolonging shelf life in warmer climates, as hops are the best natural preservative for beer. GUINNESS FES is uniquely different from GUINNESS Draught both in taste profile, color and ritual.

Brewed for more than two centuries, GUINNESS FES dates back to 1801. Known as West India Porter until the mid nineteenth century, FES was an export beer brewed with extra hops, giving the beer a more intense flavor and higher alcohol strength. The extra hops also acts as a natural preservative for beer, allowing it to survive long journeys overseas.

Sounds promising. They should clear the shelf space wasted on the Black Lager and replace it with this stuff.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Guiness in the bottle sucks. It's better on tap.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Yeah, but if it's hard to find bottles of this stuff, It's probably going to be damn near impossible to find a keg.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No shit?

Wow.

Here's a few things to ponder, Mr. My Uncle.....

Not everyone has a European Tap System and CO2/Nitrous system in their home.....

Some would like to sample a good beer at home.

By the way, you NEVER drink ANY good beer from the bottle, idiot.....

You POUR it [properly] into the proper serving vessel.

dumbass.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Spell it right, then I'll listen to your reviews....

smh

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post

Sounds promising. They should clear the shelf space wasted on the Black Lager and replace it with this stuff.
    The Limited Edition Guinness 250 a few years ago was the shit....I bought 8 cases of the stuff....

At 7.5% ABV this is some serious drink.

Looking forward to hitting my rep up for a sample.

18. Thanked LoungeMachine for this KICKASS post:

FORD (03-10-2013)

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't know if this is carried in the USA but like most things if you get in good with your local liquor store they will order it for you. I have gat some interesting beers and boozes by just asking if they, can ask for it from their distributor.

I drank this when I was in Germany a few years back and am choking down the Coopz Slight right now, lamenting the good times....

I loved this Black Beer beastie it is brewed in the area of Germany I was at, get some if you can...I smuggled a full bottle back in my luggage for memory salvage.

The brewery was first mentioned in liturature in the year 1543.

http://www.koestritzer.de/en/product...r-schwarzbier/

koestritzer.jpg
    Last edited by clarathecarrot; 03-30-2013 at 01:09 PM.

20. Thanked clarathecarrot for this KICKASS post:

Satan (03-30-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    No shit?

Wow.

Here's a few things to ponder, Mr. My Uncle.....

Not everyone has a European Tap System and CO2/Nitrous system in their home.....

Some would like to sample a good beer at home.

By the way, you NEVER drink ANY good beer from the bottle, idiot.....

You POUR it [properly] into the proper serving vessel.

dumbass.
    I'll listen to you when you lose 100 pounds.

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2021 @ 10:28 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Now, Now, Chillin's behave.. this thread is neutral ground like the churches in that Highlander movie.

Take it outside...and none of that MMA finishing once the opponant is down the fight is over.

and then we all drink!!

23. 2 users say thank you to clarathecarrot for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (03-30-2013),Satan (03-30-2013)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

After an unsually warm 80 degree day in early May, nothing hits the spot like an ice cold IPA.... or better yet several of them. Was going to grab the Outburst (see Satan's review above) but I saw a new contender on the shelves. As a rule, I like to support my regional West Coast microbreweries, but now and then I'll give a shout out to the Mountain Time Zone, especially the New Belgium Brewery in Ft. Collins Colorado......

STORY
    A burly and bitter Imperial IPA, Rampant pours a pure copper and carries the sheen of a rightly hopped beer. The Mosaic and Calypso hops bring stonefruit to the front seat, and the addition of Centennials nod towards citrus for a well-rounded aroma.

The taste expands these hops with heavy peach tones and a profoundly bitter bite. There is some malt sweetness to stand this beer up, and Rampant’s finish is bone-dry.

BEER FACTS
    Birthdate: February, 2013
    Body: Medium-Light
    ABV: 8.5%
    IBU: 85
    Calories: 230
    Hops: Mosaic, Calypso, Centennial
    Malts: Pale, Black
    Yeast: Ale Yeast
    Aroma: Prominent lemon citrus and floral hop aroma and flavor including some nice dry-hopped fresh grass and spicy pine notes.
    Mouthfeel: Warmth from alcohol is present but not conspicuous. Nice dry finish from carbonation and glass full of bitter hops.
    Flavor: Hint of sweetness in the background from malt, the rest is a story of ambitious but not overwhelming bitterness.
    Visual: Golden with solid white foam and a slight hop sheen.
    In my opinion, it's more of a "grapefruit" flavor than either the lemon or peach referenced in the brewery's description. It's considerably different from Outburst IPA, or Sierra Nevada's Torpedo IPA in that it's a much sweeter beer, which is not all that surprising, coming from a Belgian style brewery.

Very enjoyable for IPA or Belgian ale fans, but given the choice, I'll probably stick with Outburst as my #1 IPA choice. This will be a close second though.

FORD's rating:

25. Thanked FORD for this KICKASS post:

Loons The Great (07-05-2013)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 05-24-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: boobs

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,347 Times in 6,031 Posts

Last edited by Seshmeister; 07-28-2013 at 09:59 PM.

28. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-03-2013)

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

It's Hefeweizen time.....

30. Thanked Sensible Shoes for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (07-28-2013)

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    It's Hefeweizen time.....
    That actually does sound like a really good idea...

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

33. 2 users say thank you to Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (10-23-2013),FORD (10-03-2013)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Adnams Spindrift - purchased from a Sainsburys supermarket.

I'll admit I bought it because it has the coolest label and bottle (it's a blue bottle), but I like it. I have had two bottles - drinking from the bottle, and it goes down real easy ...

I really don't know what to compare it to, or how to describe it, because I am not usually an ale drinker - I tend to drink Euro lagers.

35. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-03-2013)

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

37. Thanked PETE'S BROTHER for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-03-2013)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dogfish Head makes some great stuff, but it's not easy to find in this part of the country. Interesting concept though.....Oktoberfest moon dust beer. Not only do I want to try that, I also want to try whatever the guy who came up with that idea was drinking at the time he thought of it.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hmmm.....

It's been a while since I read any Nietzche, but I've been drinking a lot of Outburst IPA lately, so I might want to do that I guess?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I need to try this new Scottish beer...

Here it is folks, the new world's strongest beer Snake Venom at 67.5% - so strong that it has a warning label on the neck! Made using smoked peat malt, acid malt, US hops, ale yeast and champagne yeast! Available to buy from here http://www.therealalecompany.co.uk/r...ewmeister.html

43. Thanked Seshmeister for this KICKASS post:

FORD (10-23-2013)

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-07-2023 @ 07:35 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 823 Posts

67%? Holy shit...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Verily.....

and £50 a bottle seems pricey, but then I guess you only need to drink one of em.
    Last edited by FORD; 10-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Love the warning label

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-13-2016 @ 11:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Happy New Years Evil, kids!!

Served here on tap in Hell tonight is Lagunitas Maximus IPA.

Another fine example of the great West Coast microbrewery tradition, Petaluma California, in this case.

IPA, or Indian Pale Ale, was so named because back in the day, they wanted a beer that could last through the long boat rides to India. Being here in Hell, we can obviously relate to shipping difficulties. These recent IPA formulations have so much hops in them they develop a citrus sort of flavor that is far better than any "fruit" flavored beer in this Devil's opinion.

Lagunitas rarely makes it down here, but I hope to see more of it in the future....

Originally made in 1996(and continuously) to be a bigger, badder version of our favorite style.

UNLIMITED RELEASE
    ABV: 8.2%
    Sold as: 6-packs, 22oz Bombers, Kegs
    Net contents: Ounces and ounces of Malt, Hops, Yeast and water.
    http://lagunitas.com/beers/maximus/

Satan's rating:

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A New Entry for FORD of July 2014!

Tonight's selection comes from Lagunitas of Petaluma CA.....

We brewed this especially bitter ale in remembrance of the 2005 St Patrick’s Day Massacre and in commemoration of our 20-day suspension that followed. The ABC conducted an undercover investigation of our brewery, finding us guilty of operating a “Disorderly House.” We did the crime. We did the time. We got the bragging rights.”

ABV: 9.75%
    Sold as: 6-packs & Kegs
    Net contents: Ounces and ounces of Malt, Hops, Yeast and water.

It's not labeled specifically as an IPA, nor does it appear all that pale, but it's so goddamned hoppy that IPA afficianados will love this stuff.

And though my bottles say 9.2% rather than 9.75, it's enough, believe me. And yet, goes down about as smooth as a high class call girl. Er... uh I mean a 6.2% usual IPA.

Sucks that this is labeled a "limited release" because that probably means I won't see it again for a long time. Especially on the other end of the West Coast. But if you see this stuff where you buy beer, do NOT pass it by!

http://lagunitas.com/beers/undercove...ion-shut-down/

FORD's rating:

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Question Happy FORD of July, Motherfuckers!

It's been a while since there was a new entry to the Beercyclopedia, but this one was worthy of a mention....

Anyway, I had seen this Samuel Adams "Rebel IPA" in the stores for a while. Looked it over. Seemed about average for an IPA so I didn't think it was all that worthy.

But the folks at Boston Beer Inc. had some additional products in their new IPA product line, including the Rebel Rouser IPA. The label design is virtually identical to the other IPA except its green rather than red. So I guess you can buy both and use them for Xmas decorations. But fuck all that, let's get to the beer.....

Bold, citrusy, and piney, our double IPA isn’t just a bigger version of Rebel IPA. Instead we explored a different balance of hop character, including Bravo & Galaxy hops, and upped the ante on their flavor and expression for a brew that’s intense yet enjoyable through every sip.

HOP VARIETIES
    Bravo, Galaxy, Zeus, Simcoe®, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo

MALT VARIETIES
    Samuel Adams two-row pale malt blend

YEAST STRAIN
    Samuel Adams ale yeast

COLOR

Deep amber / 11 SRM
    SPECIAL INGREDIENTS

ALC. BY VOL/WT
    8.4% ABV / 6.5% ABW

IBUs

AVAILABILITY
    Year Round
    Overall, it's a good contender for the imperial, extra-hoppy IPA category. Just slightly more bitter and 1/10th a percent of alcohol less than Pyramid Outburst, which is my current favorite IPA.

Since Samuel Adams entire product line is easier to find on the East Coast than here in Cascadia, I would definitely recommend Rebel Rouser to those who cannot get Pyramid's Outburst IPA easily. The Samuel Adams folks openly admit they were trying to make a "Northwest style IPA" here, and they accomplished that goal very well.... though my jaded palate still prefers the regional champion.

http://www.samueladams.com/craft-bee...ser-double-ipa

FORD's Rating: 1/2

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's Winter Beer season, and I think Keef would approve of this one.....

Our winter seasonal 6pk that falls into the realm of "Dangerously Slammable", this brew is especially irresponsible. Brown Shugga...How come you taste so good?

ABV 9.9 O.G. 1.1 IBU 51
    Availability OCT - DEC
    Introduced 1997 Sold As 6pack keg
    Pair With Any baked Holiday treats made with traditional pumpkin-pie spices...and braised shanks

FORD says yeah, yeah, yeah, woo!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Been a while since the last FORD beer review, since I haven't really seen a lot of new products lately, and have been sticking with the good stuff. But when I saw a double IPA at Trader Joe's for $4.99 a 6 pack, how the Hell could I pass that up....

oddly enough, this product tastes NOTHING like a double IPA should. A strong IPA should have so much hop content in it that it resembles grapefruit juice, and there's no hoppy element to this beer at all. Therefore in good conscience I can't consider it a true IPA, let alone a double. It really tastes more like a scotch ale, like a Pike Kilt Lifter type of thing. Perhaps they should change the name to reflect that reality.

Upside is that it has an 8.4% alcohol content, so it certainly gets the job done, and at $4.99/six pack, it's certainly the best beer you're going to find at that price.

So... unless you're looking for a pure IPA, it's alright. You can pick it up at Trader Joes,

FORD's rating :

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

Do you get this cheeky little number , in lieu of a full bodied ethanol

http://www.drinksupermarket.com/admi...-fire-rum-70cl

Thread Information