X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MUSICMANN
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

read this!

You guys know my feelings about this tour. I can't stand Sammy and i truly think that ED and Al made the biggest mistake in their life in what 96 and their second right before this tour thing started happening, not to get dave back and truly give us fans what we deserve. on that note though, i downloaded the dvd of the St. Louis show on 7/29/04. I wanted to see for myself, if everthing was true about the shows. I can honestly say that ED, Al and Mike never played better. Ed was right on the money from the beggining to the end. Now let me tell you guys this, i love the internet and hate it also. If a few people put out that these guys were playing like shit, if you hear that enough times everyone starts to believe it. Well i am no differant. I to am reading about how Ed can't play and that the music is just horrible, but what i saw, was that those guys can still deliver the goods live. Now i have been flamed for my love for Vh these days, VH as in just Ed,Al and mike. , I've been called a sheep, stupid motherfucker and all kinds of shit buy newbies and mods alike, but i tell you now, if your opinion of the way these guys are playing is solely based on that 20 second clip of the dress rehersal and the RWTD clip, then your not getting the whole picture. I knew i was never going to go see those guys live again if Dave is not there, and that was the reason for the download. Now don't get me wrong, Ed And those guys are not the same as they were when they were in their 20's, and the show does lack that total production they once were admired for. It just seems that they are having fun and goofing around alot on stage. Having all that fun with Sammy is fucked up to see, and ashame, but even through all that, they can still rock their ass off, and Ed can still play all the old tunes perfect. All i say is, if you will or never go see these guys play on this tour, don't judge them until you atleast watch a dvd of one of their shows. Then and only then can you have a truthful opinion on these guys.
  • scorpioboy33
    Commando
    • Jul 2004

i seen vh in 84 in to and van Hagar this year...huge different..but was a pretty good show.....sammy's way agrivating though

Comment

• DLRdelight!
      Veteran
      • Jul 2004

I know what you mean, i went to the first los angelas show because it is probably the only time i would get to see Ed, ho is like my idol in guitar. I did not go for sam but i went for the 3 originals. And man was it a full on attack of a show, ed was all over the place, i wrote a thread about it called "please dont call me a sheep" because i aint no fuckin sheep. I am 16 n this was the only chance that i would prob get to see my favorite band( roth era) and just went for the three not spammy. Maybe i will get lucky n see dave some day or even with the old band again(ed, al, mike).

Comment

• MUSICMANN
        Sniper
        • Apr 2004

Now i don't mean loving or even having to stand to listen to those Van Hagar songs, i just mean the way those boys can still deliver the goods live.

Comment

• scorpioboy33
          Commando
          • Jul 2004

but I really don't feel like I saw Van Halen this year...just a good guitar player fronting a band with a clown singing..but yah...it was fun.....but the real show is nov. 4 ...DLR :!

Comment

• scorpioboy33
            Commando
            • Jul 2004

but Im glad you guys dug it

Comment

• MUSICMANN
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

Don't get me wrong, I seen Vh 3 times in my life, 84 and 2 other times with Sammy. I didn't say i liked it, i just was saying how so many people have a horrible perception of the way Ed, AL amd Mike are playing live these days, and how they could not hold up on a real reunion with Dave is bullshit.

Comment

• scorpioboy33
                Commando
                • Jul 2004

i hear yah..it's just that there truly dick heads who kinda killed the good memory of the band...so I would hope dave wouldn't go back...but than again..who the fuck knows.....

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

I went to the San Jose show and it was a discrace. Eddie played horribly and was in his own little world the whole night.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• bueno bob
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Well, here's the thing about gigging...you're either right on the money or you're way the fuck off. Especially with Van Halen. There never seems to be any sort of in-between with them. Generally speaking, I have been unfortunate enough to see Van Hagar twice and while they appeared to be playing their hearts out and trying to pull it all off, both times (F.U.C.K. and the '93 tour) they seemed a bit disjointed and it lagged and often times seemed like it had no direction (mostly, these are during the Hagar rants about whatever fucking alien topic he decides to speak of at the time).

I don't think it's just the internet, either...newspaper reviewers are giving this thing thumbs down across the board...and I'm sorry, but any Van Halen concert that ends with When it's Love or Right Now ends BADLY.

Individual opinions can and will vary, but I've seen a few of the boots from this tour and haven't been impressed with anything yet. They seem off in their own little worlds and Ed's performance has been shipshod (at worst) or uneven (at best).

I am hoping, somewhere against all odds, I guess, that this really IS a warmup tour for the DLR reunion (of course, I don't really believe this and 89% of me doesn't want to see that happen anymore, either). If that's the case, then maybe your positive outlook on their performance could bode well for the future.

But I ain't holding my breath, you know.
                    Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I've listened to boots from this tour and I think it totally SUCKS!

Fuck you internet sympathizers!

I know what the fuck I'm hearing!

I don't need it spelled out to me...

Comment

• WARF
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Glad to see you survived the hurricane ELVIS!

Comment

• Panamark
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          I've listened to boots from this tour and I think it totally SUCKS!

Fuck you internet sympathizers!

I know what the fuck I'm hearing!

I don't need it spelled out to me...

Mate, you nailed it. Especially Runnin with the Devil and Unchained,
                          Ed seems to have forgotten these two ..

even, Aint talkin bout love (admittedly Spammys fault)

I cant really comment on the Van Hagar songs. They sound terrible
                          straight off the album...
                          BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• EbDawson
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2004

Maybe they're "on" some nights. But one look at that god-awful, shitty setlist did it for me. And having Spam sing Unchained is downright blasphemous. Not to mention Ed dresses like a wino. (why not?) $95 for that?

Nah, I'll stick with the Atomic Punks.
                            Last edited by EbDawson; 09-18-2004, 09:04 AM.
                            "If anyone came here hoping to hear Sammy Hagar Van Halen, there's the fucking door, man!" Ralph Saenz, Atomic Punks

"Carpe Mammarium"

Comment

• Hummarstra
                              Commando
                              • Feb 2004

I think some of us listen more critically than others - especially if you're a guitar player who has studied Ed's playing. I saw this tour and Ed played sloppy - period. He may have played better at other gigs but, the difference is light years from where he was even in the nineties. I saw VHagar in the 90's and THEY PLAYED FLAWLESSLY the night I saw them. But, this last show was shit.

Comment

Working...