Sarge Ranks the DLR Albums.. from top to bottom..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trueblue
    Groupie
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Sarge
    yeah I knew that people would have a problem with that.. but lets face it Dave has done some awesome solo material that needs to be recognized and celebrated..
    Hey Sarge
    Rating the CVH and DLR solo albums together in one heap is not fun at all..We are dealing with 13 records and ranking them from top to bottom always makes ppl think that albums rated way down the order are also way too inferior to the ones at the top and are not liked at all...That's not totally true for me...Sure, the Top 6 is much better than the bottom half, but i love them all in different ways...Anyway, here goes my rating list>>

1. Fair Warning
    2. WACF
    3. VHI
    4. VHII
    5. DLR Band
    6. EEAS
    7. ALAE
    8. 1984
    9. Diver Down
    10.SS
    11.YFLM
    12.Diamond Dave
    13.CFTH

I am baffled by people that say VHII felt like a sampler of 'leftovers' and that it's "too short"...first, most guys seem to be influenced by reading stuff written about how the album was supposedly recorded in a mad hurry after the year-long touring, performing for the debut release; and unsubstantiated rumours(never confirmed by VH members themselves) that a lot of VHII material were outtakes and rejects from the debut...If guys wanna believe all that and listen to VHII with preconceived notions then it's no wonder they gonna say it's 'leftovers'...Even if it's true, i reckon CVH at the time were so outrageously gifted that even a second release of supposed leftover material could still be so stunningly powerful and a superb record overall...And "too short"??...All six DLR-era records ranged from 30-35 minutes...VHII was 31 mins, i guess...So what's the drama about album running time here??....The main thing is we all wish they carried on making more albums, 30-35 minutes of pure heavy hitting rock by CVH or Dave alone is fine with me...infinitely better than 60 minutes of trashy art/pop/ballad wanna-be rock by the rest this world has to offer....
    Music is like girlfriends to me; I'm constantly amazed at the choices other dudes make----DLR

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Far as Van Halen 2, I always felt it was too much like the first album and felt like it could have used a few more tunes on it even before being aware of the circumstances surrounding its recording.

None of that means I think it's a bad album. Even CVH at their weakest wipes the floor with most other groups.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• trueblue
        Groupie
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Terry
        Far as Van Halen 2, I always felt it was too much like the first album and felt like it could have used a few more tunes on it even before being aware of the circumstances surrounding its recording.

None of that means I think it's a bad album. Even CVH at their weakest wipes the floor with most other groups.
        In fact, to be upfront and honest, VH2 is in some ways and on some days my fave CVH album...For all its supposed minor faults, its overall raucous unvarnished vibe makes me love it to fixation...Apart from all the great songs on it, Somebody Get Me A Doctor always makes my heart zip like a runaway racecar on collision course...Did u see my ranking list??..Lemme go back to see how u rated the 13..
        Music is like girlfriends to me; I'm constantly amazed at the choices other dudes make----DLR

Comment

• DeadOrAlive
          Veteran
          • Jul 2004

Fair Warning is always at the top. And it should be too. Never heard such creativity in my life...

Comment

• Loons The Great

A how how how how nah yez

Comment

Working...