Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718

Thread: The Official 2010-2011 Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Sports Thread!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:17 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,014 Times in 3,249 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by conmee View Post
    P.S.

ND has a lot of alumni in high places and Dick Ebersol likes ND. NBC still makes money on the contract, surprisingly. And let's face it, exclusively broadcasting any one team in this day and age is a huge PR risk for networks, but at least with ND, wins/losses aside, you're not going to see an ND team ever have to vacate a season or give back a Heisman... you won't have to worry about an ND coach embarrassing the university or NBC with shit going down at Florida (arrests) or USC (everything), etc.

As long as folks like me tune in, win or lose, and Dick Ebersol is at NBC, the games will continue on NBC for a long time.

There's no financial or compulsory incentive for ND to join a conference, hell even BYU for chrissake left a FBS conference to go it alone. The ONLY way ND is forced to join a conference is if there were no automatic BCS bid for them and/or major programs stop scheduling them. But here's why neither of those scenarios will happen: greedy fucking universities will continue to play ND because of the publicity and payout of playing ND - the Big Ten gets more money playing ND than some SEC or other school on a per-game basis - the NBC proceeds are generally split between ND and the opposing schoool; and secondly, even without an automatic bid, which has been meaningless for them much of the past 16 years because they haven't won enough games anyway, the Irish can still get into good bowls and even a championship game, now that schools like Boise State and TCU are climbing the charts without the benefit of a major conference.

We can argue and theorize and piss and moan and talk about ass raping priests and high tuition and my taint until the cows come home, but I am telling you right now, GUARANTEEING IT IN FACT, that the Irish will be on NBC AND INDEPENDENT the rest of this decade. That's just the way it is.

That is all.

Icon©®™
    BYU had one of the best quarterback programs in the country. I don't know if they still do. Boise State is coming along because they just plain have played some great football the last few years. Norte Dame seems to have a rehtro traditional feel that many people like and yeah, they have a pretty impressive alumni.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    04-14-2024 @ 09:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,997 Posts

Is Commie hanging from some bridge right now, with a rope around his neck?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Rumor has it that the Big 10 turned down Notre Dame's request to join...

They are now exploring their options in the NCAA football bowl subdivision...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by POJO_Risin View Post
    Rumor has it that the Big 10 turned down Notre Dame's request to join...

They are now exploring their options in the NCAA football bowl subdivision...
    The whole shebang seems to slowly be slipping into the water. Our local paper (which prides itself on it's college sporting coverage) didn't even run a feature, let alone a small capsule about the game. When the paper spends more than half a page on lowly FAU and fails to mention Notre Dame anywhere, you really have to wonder.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

I was actually spending the weekend with a lady friend in San Diego, so I didn't have time to lament the Notre Dame loss. I'm leaning toward apathy as a defense against further disappointment this season. With Army, W. Michigan, and Tulsa the only "safe" games on the schedule, this could be a 4-8 season if they don't steal a win from Navy, Utah, and Pitt. Yes, I said STEAL A WIN against Navy... it is that bad....

That is all.

Icon©®™

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

The team still looks uneven as hell, but they barely scraped by with a home win against Pitt. Now at 3-3 I can finally revel in the glory of a .500 record!!! Not since we were 1-1 has the team been at .500.... how times and expectations have changed... GO 6-6!!!

That is all.

Icon©®™

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

The team still looks uneven as hell, but they barely scraped by with a home win against Pitt. Now at 3-3 I can finally revel in the glory of a .500 record!!! Not since we were 1-1 has the team been at .500.... how times and expectations have changed... GO 6-6!!!

That is all.

Icon©®™
    At least Pitt isn't completely shitty...just mostly...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

Despite waiting ten minutes for the thread to load, I'm here to update the thread on a fantastic win against a formidable MAC opponent in Western Michigan today. OK, that was sarcasm... but now the Irish are 4-3 and above .500 in god knows how long... with some Irish Luck, Grace of God, run the table, and media bias, we might actually get a decent bowl this year. Utah and USC are the only teams on the schedule keeping BK from guiding the Irish to a 9-3 season... I'm still not hoping for more than 7-5, but hell, if we can just beat USC that will make the season half successful... like I've said, if we aren't going to win a championship, at least beat UM and USC every year... too late for UM but we can still end the season on a high note with a win in SoCal (I'll be in attendance this year).

GO IRISH!

Icon©®™

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

The Irish are 4-4 after getting destroyed by Navy. They have at least 2 losses upcoming against Utah and USC. And at this point, I'm not even sure Tulsa or Army are wins anymore. I mean the Irish didn't even look like they had any sort of game plan to stop Navy. I cheer for Navy all the time (father and grandfather both Navy vets) except against the Irish. But now... I think I will ask the Golden Dome for my tuition money back...

At least they can try to eek out a victory against Tulsa next week and then get a bye to prep for Utah.

And my Chargers keep finding a way to lose... just not a good year for Icon sports...

That is all.

Icon©®™

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cheer up Commie, history would prove Kelly will turn it around. I am not a ND fan, but I am a Kelly fan. He'll get 'em going.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Unhappy

Notre Dame Student’s Death at Practice Under Investigation

By LYNN ZINSER New York Times

Notre Dame Athletic Director Jack Swarbrick said on Thursday it was an “extraordinary burst of wind” that roared across the football practice fields on Wednesday, toppling a video tower and killing Declan Sullivan, the team’s 20-year-old student-manager.

Swarbrick was attending the practice late Wednesday afternoon when he said he heard the crash of the tower falling, but did not see it. At a news conference Thursday, he said the university would conduct an investigation into the conditions at the time of the accident and the decision to conduct practice outside. The Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which classified the death as a workplace fatality, arrived on campus to begin its investigation Thursday morning. The tower, a mobile hydraulic lift, remained where it fell late into Thursday afternoon.

Notre Dame will play its scheduled home game Saturday against Tulsa. Swarbrick said the university considered canceling it but decided instead to dedicate it to Sullivan, with a prayer and a moment of silence beforehand. A pep rally and several other events before the game have been canceled.

Swarbrick gave no further details on the weather or the chain of events leading to the accident, saying he would let the investigation proceed before announcing anything more. He did say he did not notice the weather to be unusual before the wind gust, although the National Weather Service had a wind advisory in effect.

“I’m not going to speculate on what we’ll learn in the investigation,” Swarbrick said. “Certainly we’re going to learn from this.”

Sullivan was filming football practice from the tower, which is commonly used for shooting video during practices. Swarbrick said he did not know how high the lift was extended, nor did he know the maintenance history of the lift. He said the investigation would sift through all of those details..

“Every program makes its own decisions with regards to practices,” Swarbrick said. “We’re going to take a look at all of that in the investigation, the decision process that happened that day. It was not just one decision to practice outside. It was a series of decisions.”

Players were sent back inside after the accident, but practice continued for 20 to 30 minutes before players were dismissed. Swarbrick said he rushed over to the scene after the tower fell and Sullivan appeared to be responding to commands from medical personnel. Swarbrick said he got a call as Sullivan was being taken to the hospital that he had stopped breathing.

Coach Brian Kelly did not attend the news conference and Swarbrick said neither Kelly nor the players would be available for comment until after Saturday’s game. He said he wanted them to be able to deal with Sullivan’s death privately until then.

Sullivan, a junior from Long Grove, Ill., had posted several messages to his Facebook page via Twitter while he was up on the tower, expressing his fear of the wind. He called the conditions “terrifying.”

Swarbrick said the investigation would look into whether Sullivan had expressed his fear to the team’s video coordinator, to whom he reported.

Until those questions are answered, Swarbrick said there was little to do but honor Sullivan’s memory and mourn.

“This is a time of extraordinary sorrow and grief,” he said. “As a father of four with two of my children away at college, I can only imagine how difficult this is.”

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Holy Crap...Notre Dame lost to fucking Tulsa...

I've got no words...none...

Look at it this way Icon...Normally a new coach comes in and loses two games their first year...signs a ten year deal...then proves to suck. Perhaps this is the backwards version...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Of course...I'm sure Kelly is blaming himself for the mishap...and there's no way that team was playing at 100%...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

The season is over. Even if they have the wherewithal and healthy players to win games against Utah, Army, and USC, it's still a 7-5 season, and most likely it is looking like 5-7 with no bowl eligibility. Oh well, there is always next season.

That is all.

Icon©®™

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck the fucking bullshit "Midfuckingwest" shithole. Northern fucks.

Two ranked teams in Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are playing, and we are forced to watch two shit teams like Notre Dame and USC play? Are you fucking kidding me?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

It is that time of year again... The Notre Dame Fighting Irish National Championship Watch begins! Ok, that's over-stating things, but as they make their way toward a BCS Bowl I'll continue to post regularly, and if they start sucking after Week 3, then I'll post less and less. The schedule looks surprisingly advantageous this year, with Michigan rebuilding and a bye before the USC game at South Bend, perhaps the Stanford game at the end of the season might mean something.

Also my UNLV Runnin' Rebels are lining up against Wisconsin (at Wisconsin) for the season opener. Slaughter expected, but maybe they can beat in-state rival Nevada (Reno) although highly unlikely.

GO IRISH!
    GO REBELS!

That is all.

Icon©®™

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-22-2024 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Also my UNLV Runnin' Rebels are lining up against Wisconsin (at Wisconsin) for the season opener. Slaughter expected, but maybe they can beat in-state rival Nevada (Reno) although highly unlikely.
    On a Thursday night, nonetheless. Can't wait!

Go Badgers!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

My UNLV Runnin' Rebels put up a good fight for 47 seconds and then proceeded to lose 51-17 to Wisconsin - and I blame Wisconsin's missed point for fucking up the spread goddammit!!! Hopefully the Irish have a better showing against University of South Florida, which as I understand it is an extension of ITT or University of Phoenix.

Join me tomorrow as we cheer on the Irish on the road to the national championship!!!!

That is all.

Icon©®™™

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hehehehe

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

...and skip holtz is officially entered as the 2012 head coac of Notre Dame...usf 16-Notre dame 0

tOSU's tattoos could beat Notre Dame

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well good news that we were only on the road to the championship all of a few minutes until that goal line fumble.

I'm mailing my diploma back to the university with some hate mail included.

At least UNLV put up 17 against Wisconsin...

GO REBELS!!!

Icon

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

I'm expecting a 2-10 season right about now, but if we can just somehow beat Michigan and USC, I'll be cool with that.

That is all.

Icon©®™

P.S. Pojo... SUck It!!!!!

P.P.S. Where is Man Entry at?

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Where Are All The Ladies At?

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

Looking good with the new QB... and also helps everyone is catching the ball now. Maybe hope for the season yet...

That is all.

Icon©®™

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

I'm getting tired of being on the losing end of great games against Michigan. I'm not posting in my beloved ND thread again until the Irish have a winning record... 0-2 now, so not sure how long before I'll be back to this thread.

That is all.

Icon©©©

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

a.k.a. Flappo The Grate
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-17-2023 @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Bumping this for the Icon...

Are you shitting me? Notre Dame finished the season 12-0 and are playing in the National Championship game! Where the hell is Commie?

28. Thanked Little Texan for this KICKASS post:

PETE'S BROTHER (11-24-2012)

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Little Texan View Post
    Bumping this for the Icon...

Are you shitting me? Notre Dame finished the season 12-0 and are playing in the National Championship game! Where the hell is Commie?
    I told Commie to have faith in Brian Kelly.

He wasn't good enough for the WolverQueens to hire (thank goodness), and Michigan State was just plain too dumb to hire him.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Brethren and Sistren,

I got shit to do these days, what with trying to be a professional and such. Lots of international travel and not a lot of time for whores and blow... Ok, that's a lie, what time I DO have generally always gets committed to whores and blow... and so my presence on this site has suffered as a result. Blame it on Obamacare or fiscal cliffs, etc.

Long story short, I'm quite pleased with the team's record this year, and I didn't think Kelly had it in him to build a team around DEFENSE first. Should be a better game than most people are expecting, and I would be remiss if I didn't say I believed the Irish will win 24-19. I'm throwing in some special teams and defensive scores and a safety. The wild card will be Golson. If he plays like a freshman, the Irish will lose; if he plays like he did against Oklahoma AND McCarron plays like he did against A&M, I'll take our chances. But we'll see. I've been talking to Brownsound1 a lot as he's a 'Bama fan, and I just think there's no better stage and no better opponent for Notre Dame if this really is the year they get back to the top.

Now if we could just get one more studio album out of DLR and the boys, and a couple more tour legs, I'll be pretty stoked.

That is all.

Icon©®™

P.S. Von, my brother, I "might" be out to Motown for the auto show if I don't end up going to Santiago next month. Will keep you posted...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chripes...Icon AND THAT FUCKING BROWNSOUND IN THE NATTY TITLE GAME...

and my Buckeyes all planning on how to get some tattoos...

shit aint right...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Ohio State had a great year....can't take anything away from them......BUT.......first let me preface this by saying I love Big 10 football and have followed that conference for a long time. I was always a PSU fan when I was under the illusion that Paterno was actually a decent human being. Anyway......Buckeyes had a solid year but that conference blew this year......very weak.
    No shit...still went 12-0 a year after going 6-7 in a BCS conference.

The Big Ten did suck ass though...

Thread Information