Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2010-2011 Notre Dame Fightin' Irish Sports Thread!!!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh fuck yeah!!!! 44-41 in OT! The best news I've heard about MSU in several years!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gentlemen, gentlemen.... lol

Pojo makes some valid points... we have a coach and a TEAM that didn't lie down and die, as it has done all too often in the past... a competitve game, overcoming 21 points, mistakes (missed FG, inteception run back for TD, etc), and an inspired opponent, you can't ask for more than that in a college football game... oh, well, a win would have been nice.... lol

I generally don't like to go after the officials unless it's a patently ridiculous game-ending decision like the Miami-OSU game to decide a championship... the officiating in this game, whether anything was questionable or not, wouldn't have even been a factor if our kicker put a little more leg into that field goal he missed, and if Brady Quinn would have been more accurate... in fact, Quinn had a great day, BUT... if there were a coupld of passes that were thrown in FRONT of the receiver instead of BEHIND, and if Stovall wouldn't have been called for illegal block in back during that one run for a TD by Walker, and there might not have even been an OT...

I still have high hopes for the season, and if ND can take care of business against Washington and Purdue, a 4-1 ND team playing a #1 USC team will still be good football with national title implications...

The closest I can say to "hating" a team is probably USC or Michigan, but if this trend continues, I'll have to add MSU to the list... lol but there's alot of respect there for those programs and their histories.

I don't mind the ND haters... all the successful programs have passionate people on the for and against side of the fence... I'd even argue it's those teams that have passionate fans/haters that validate truly great programs... and ND, USC, 'Bama, Oklahoma, Michigan, the truly legendary programs that have had success over decades... there's something to be said for that...

GO IRISH!!!
    GO CHARGERS!!!
    GO UNLV!!!!
    GO PADRES!!!
    (shite, all my teams lost this week, except the Padres!!! and I'm not sure how happy I should be that they could be the first game to win a division with a LOSING record... lol)

Icon
    An Icon©®™Incorporated/GODDAM BUCK-KNIFE JACKBOOT MOTHERFUCK©®™ Production.
    hitchWORLD1969.com© and Old Boy Club© Co-Founder, Investor, and Spiritual Leader 1996-2024©™®

E.U.A.S. - "The Feng Shui in the House That Roth Built!"

R.I.P. - Douglas Hitchens, Jr. aka Hitch1969 aka Supermodel Doug et al... 1-23-2017

"It is possible to OverGap©®™" - Sesh©®™, 5-8-2013

"A reacharound doesn't need to be gay." - Sesh©®™, 1-18-2012

"If we are going to have ex mods posting cocks can they at least be a manageable size." - Sesh©®™, 8-24-2011

"For the love of jive, have a waborita and chill out." - Hitchman©®™, 5-18-2004

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, but conmee, 14 points is 14 points.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh good...the Notre Dame game is on...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good ole' Willingham...Hey...he was what...choice #3 when they hired him?...or was it four...behind Gruden, Stoops and O'Leary...

Now they have Weis...who was behind a few...as well...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Christ....If ND wasn't getting some big turnovers, this game would be completely different.

ND is just moving the ball with ease between the 20s, and then they can't do anything else.

Washington could easily be up in this one. I'm not too happy with my boys right now, but we're winning.....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't know about you...but this game is excruciatingly painful to watch...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Try being a fan of one of the teams....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Washington's horrible...Notre Dame can't put them away...you are correct...they haven't been playing well in the red zone today...a lot like last year...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gentlemen... I'm out here in Seattle and the weather is beautiful. The game has been difficult to watch. The team hasn't been quite as sharp, and if not for Willingham and his UW team's mistakes, this could be a much different game.

At any rate, UW has been able to really attack the ND secondary, and even Bob Greise mentioned that if they don't get alot better, Leinart and USC are going to eat up the ND defense.

I'll feel better about the D if they put a hurt on Purdue. But I think the USC-ND game in a couple weeks could turn ugly if Weis doesn't get the defense more focused.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Purdue might be a little pissed after losing to Minn today....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Purdue isn't as good as labeled...they were ranked soley because they don't play Michigan and Ohio State...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit... just finished watching the Oregon USC game... USC spots Oregon 13 points and then goes on to score 45 unanswered points.... Bush is the real deal... looks like a pro back running against high schoolers... good god... and Leinart runs the offense damn near flawlessly...

And Michigan is looking like the annual frauds that they are.... Lloyd Carr is a GREAT coach if you want to avg. 8 wins a year and 1 split-championship every 10-15 years, but he just doesn't get the most out of all the talent UM gets each year.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Purdue isn't as good as labeled...they were ranked soley because they don't play Michigan and Ohio State...
    Doesn't mean they aren't going to be pissed....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who's talking about being pissed?

FACT: Purdue is overrated. Who cares if they are fucking pissed...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fact is...if you're pissed, and not as good as advertised...then it doesn't matter...

Oh...I know...the pissed factor will outweigh the "overrated" factor when Notre Dame plays them...

gotcha...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, I just think they'll go into the game vs. ND with a chip on their shoulder. Has nothing to do with whether they're overated or not. I'm sure they thought they should win.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...and if Notre Dame is a good team...

then it won't matter if they have a chip on their shoulder...will it...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nope it won't. Pojo, no one's arguing with you here. But I like to look at all factors and I think that Purdue will be up for the game even more than usual after a big loss.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmfao...

I'll agree with that...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is a MUST-WIN for the Irish!!! hahah Well, semi-seriously, it will make for a better hype build-up if the Irish are in shouting distance or in the Top 10 when the showdown with USC takes place in a few weeks.

If the Irish lose big to USC, they may drop to the 20-25 spot, if they keep it under 10 points, the drop 2-3 spots, and if they win, they'll probably sit around #5.

All assuming they actually beat Purdue... lol... if they lose to Purdue, my guess is 2 more losses to USC and Tenn will give the Irish a 7-4 season... and a disappointing one at that.... 8-3 is really what it will take, plus a Gator/Other Bowl win to call this season an unquestionable success. Anything less would be uncivilized. lol

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gentlemen,

The Irish did their job, and from an offensive standpoint, pummelled the Boilermakers...

Now at 4-1, the Irish are right where I thought they'd be (although I thought the one loss was coming from Michigan, not MSU). And USC once again spotted a team a huge lead, only to bludgeon the opposition in the second half...

If both the USC and ND defenses play as poorly as they have (USC due to injury, ND due to youth), it will be a high scoring game on both sides. Then it will come down to which offense can put up the most points... actually I guess that's how most games always are won, right? lmao... Well, I think USC has more firepower, so on paper, I would figure USC offense will outscore ND offense, with the defenses a wash. If that's the case, special teams might be the X factor. ASU showed that on occasion, you can have success against the USC special teams... but will it be enough... who knows...

One of the dummies "went on record" saying USC was going to put up 50 points on the Irish... now, he didn't say that ND would put up 49 or 51 points themselves, and Lou Holtz said he had to ask his wife what to say... meaning he's pulling for ND, but doesn't want to be on record for a whole week predicting a USC win... lmao

However, I'll go on record and say that both teams' defenses know they are a bit maligned, and that they will play inspired against the opposing offenses. I still think both teams will score in the 30s, but I can't see either team breaking down on either side of the ball long enough to let the score run up.

And I think this will be the game of the year in terms of coaching matchups... a defensive mind v. an offensive mind. And I think it will look much like an NFL game with lots of schemes, routes, plays, formations that 99% of the rest of the college football universe will look at and go "Why don't I think of stuff like that?" or "How can I get my team to run that kind of offense/defense/etc?"

Weis will have two weeks to get ready... this week to study USC film the last two weeks and to focus the defense, and come up with some interesting twists to the offense.

It will be all good and a great environment at ND for a college football game. It could be a game for the ages...

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Gonna be a great game, see if Weis can outcoach Pete Carrroll, because nobody has done it yet. I think USC's defense is better than people are giving them credit for. They played pretty well against that ASU offense yesterday, with 5 int's against a guy that hadn't thrown one in 130 attempts.

I have a feeling it's going to be more defensive than we think, especially if the weather is bad.

Of course SC needs to take care of business first with a bad Arizona team next week. I refuse to the cart in front of the horse.

Either way, it's gonna be a great match-up. 'Bout fucking time too.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is just a copy of my post in College Game Day thread... don't want to have to search for all this record info down the road... lmao...

Now we're talkin'!!!!! lol

Props to my Chargers, btw... 41-17 thrashing of the Champs in New England... Maybe this is the year a team that starts 0-2 wins their conference and gets into the playoffs... lol

Back to college...

Alot of what Brett says about running offenses and schemes, etc, is what will make the USC-ND game probably the best game of the year, period. An NFL defensive coordinator and head coach v. an offensive coordinator having 4 Super Bowl rings leading the offense for Parcells and Belichick... I think we'll see a chess match in this game between Weis and Carroll, and it will be which team executes the gameplan better who ends up with the win. Can't wait!

ND pretty much had winning records against every opponent they've played multiple times... that is until Davie and Willingham came to town... since then the Irish have a losing record against UM and have major losses to Pac-10 teams like Oregon State and crappy ACC teams like NC State. Here's some interesting records:

ND-USC - 42-29-5 (now this is a rivalry... 5 TIES!!!!)
    ND-Michigan - 14-18-1 (bastards)
    ND-MSU - 43-25-1
    ND v. 'Bama - 5-1-0
    ND v. AZ - 2-1-0
    ND v. ASU - 2-0-0
    ND v. CAL - 4-0-0
    ND v. Florida - 1-0-0
    ND v. FSU - 3-4-0
    ND v. LSU - 5-4-0
    ND v. Miami - 15-7-1
    ND v. OK - 8-1-0
    ND v. PenSt - 8-8-1 (another good rivalry if they played more)
    ND v. Tenn - 3-4-0
    ND v. Texas - 8-2-0

The only Pac-10 team that ND has a losing record against is 0-1 against Oregon State (that 2000 Fiesta Bowl debacle.. thanks Bob!). And in terms of traditional powers, only Michigan, FSU, and Tennessee have winning records against Notre Dame, but it's close.

GO IRISH!!!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What fucked USC up was the fact that they didn't win a game from '82-2000!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, the rivalry was more even prior to that stretch... lol

It's just been a long time since both teams were great and that's a key ingredient to a rivalry... sure, Navy is also a rival, but 72-9-2 or whatever does not make it a good one.. lol

Having both teams in contention is also good, because if USC or ND beat the other, and they are both highly ranked, that goes a long way to fueling one team's national championship hopes. And I think it does USC good, since alot of East Coast bias, so to speak, ranks ND as their only legit competition year in year out on the schedule... given that the Pac-10 doesn't get the national respect it probably deserves. On the flip side, ND's strength of schedule is always high at the start of the year due to UM, MSU, and Purdue always being over-rated, and when those teams drop from the polls, it's really up to USC and the 1 or 2 SEC/Big12/ACC games ND schedules to keep it's strength of schedule high. ND has played 4 teams so far that were/are ranked at one point or another this season, with two having dropped out (and washington was added years ago when it was actually a power)... so both teams benefit by playing each other and staying competetive.

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The last time I remember the USC/ND game really meaning something was 1988 when ND was #1 and USC was #2, and you fuckers beat us at the Coliseum.

ROTHITE BARBARICUS ELITE
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Icon im pulling for you guys
    this week, we need an upset!!
    Beat USC, enough already..

But ill tell you what im digging
    the old school teams
    back on the map..

EUAS

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's in two weeks RBW... USC needs to steamroll Arizona with their second string players before heading to South Bend... lol

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes we get to play a Division II school this week...oh I mean Arizona. I'm wondering when Mike Stoops will just resign. They're fucking hopeless in Tucson.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Folks,

I never use my webbie powers for anything but good purposes... but this is really the only forum I hang out in, and I don't like having to look for my Irish thread... so I've stickied it...

True, if we let everyone get away with that, Pojo would have a stickied OSU thread, and Brown would sticky a 'Bama thread, but fuck it... I don't get shit my way when it comes to who we should hire/fire, ban/unban, etc... so this is my one perk... lol

GO ICON!!!

Icon.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And I just checked... my beloved UNLV Runnin' Rebels are in the ESPN Bottom Ten for the third week at 1-4... they are now mathematically out of the running for the national championship... lol

GO IRISH!!!
    GO UNLV!!!
    GO PADRES!!!

Icon.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by conmee
    Folks,

I never use my webbie powers for anything but good purposes... but this is really the only forum I hang out in, and I don't like having to look for my Irish thread... so I've stickied it...

True, if we let everyone get away with that, Pojo would have a stickied OSU thread, and Brown would sticky a 'Bama thread, but fuck it... I don't get shit my way when it comes to who we should hire/fire, ban/unban, etc... so this is my one perk... lol

GO ICON!!!

Icon.
    You bastard, now I have to hear all of the whining....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    WTF IS THIS SHIT!!!!

OSU--HERE IT COMES...LMFAO...

I'd sticky it...if I weren't the only fucker posting in it...lmfao...

I actually think the Irish thread should be stickied...

and ICON...for fuck sake...this is my damn forum...you need to fucking ask me...lmfao...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here we go...

Stickied Columbus Blue Jackets thread

Stickied Tampa Bay Devil Rays thread

Stickied Western Carolina thread

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...fuck...

the Tribe...

Steelers...

and Cavs for sure...lmfao...

we have a Pirates chatter...

Yankees chatter...

Red Sox chatter...

Fuck...LET'S STICKY THEM ALL!!!

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmao!!!! Don't forget the Chargers, Padres, and UNLV!!!!

Sorry about subverting the chain of command... so Pojo... can I sticky this thread? lol

GO IRISH!!

Icon.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmfao...I'm surprised neither one of us stickied this thing before...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now this is how the AP Top Ten should look..... lots of names that haven't been up there in awhile... well, at least PennSt, 'Bama, and ND...

1. USC
    2. Texas
    3. Virginia Tech
    4. Florida State
    5. Georgia
    6. Alabama
    7. Miami
    8. Penn State
    9. Notre Dame
    10. LSU

SEC and ACC representin'....

GO IRISH!!!

Icon.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nebraska and Michigan are notably absent... but I'm not missin' the Wolverines... lol

GO IRISH!!!!

Icon.

Thread Information