X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Shaq vs. Kobe

Kobe tells police that Shaq has spent millions to keep women quiet about extra-marrital affairs...no shit...lmfao...

"The guy's a joke," O'Neal said about his former teammate. "I'm just trying to tell the world that the whole time, but just because he hits a couple of shots, everybody thinks he's a great person."

O'Neal's comments came Thursday at a poolside photo shoot where, clad in his Heat uniform, the big man was feeling talkative.

"He's a clown," said the 32-year-old married father of five. "Kobe, he gets caught by the police after doing what he did, and my name comes out."

O'Neal was referring to a Los Angeles Times story that Eagle County, Colo., detective Doug Winters wrote the following in a report:

"Bryant stated he should have done what Shaq does. Bryant stated that Shaq would pay his women not to say anything. He stated Shaq has paid up to a million dollars already for situations like this."

Until now, Bryant and O'Neal had mostly minimized the gulf in their relationship and its influence on the blockbuster trade that sent Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and Brian Grant to Los Angeles for the 7-foot-1 future Hall of Famer.

Thursday's statements further solidified popular sentiment to the contrary, namely that the two stars never had a relationship to begin with.

"I don't understand how a guy that I've never spoken to about that, that I've never hung out with, can say something like that," O'Neal said. "But, obviously, it shows what kind of character this guy has. It shows I'm on his mind that much. That just shows you what type of guy he is. That's just funny to me."

The two men meet again in a nationally televised game at Staples Center on Dec. 25, a date O'Neal seems to be eyeing with renewed intensity.

"The Christmas game is going to be the highest-rated game ever," O'Neal said.
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

I'll be honest...

this IS what the NBA needs...

2 players who want to rip each other's head off...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

More Shaq...

"Some guys are so smart they're dumb," O'Neal told the magazine in quotes first referenced by the Miami Herald. "Mitch Kupchak will never be remembered for anything but what? Trading me. That was the dumbest move in sports history. Congratulations, Mitch."

But wait, there's more.

About his relationship with Kobe Bryant: "It's sort of like ancient karate movies. Think about it. The master trains his young disciple. Then when the young disciple gets some (expletive), they think they can do better.''

On his trade to Miami: "I just like to look at it like this. Agent O'Neal did a great job for the FBI in Los Angeles. His time is up there. And now he just has to relocate to Miami.''

O'Neal even discussed his ability as a GM: "The Heat being able to get me and keep Dwyane Wade? That's how good I am. You know I have great general manager skills. I told them if I go somewhere, I'm going to a good team. I'm not a dummy.''

LMFAO...great for the quote...the Ali of our day...

Comment

• badhorsie

I've read something about Kobe spent about 3 million for his wifes ring (im so sorry baby please take me back) and like 12 million in court fees.

And he didnt even get his nut off.

Jerked it off after the chick left.

What an idiot.

Comment

• Warham
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Trading Shaq is not the dumbest move in sports history.

You are comparing Shaq's quotes to Ali's??? Good grief, POJO, you are insulting the greatest boxer ever.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

Ahhh Warham...

if Shaq was still a Laker...you wouldn't be disagreeing with me...after a few Laker threads...anyone can figure that out...

And trading Shaq isn't the dumbest move in sports history...

but I can't honestly believe you think it's going to improve that team...

The ONLY good move that was made by the Lakers in the offseason was Tomjanovich...if the Lakers are any good this year...it's because one of the best coaches in our time has figured out how to include others in the offense without Kobe throwing a damn fit...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Tomjanovich...when on his game...may be the best coach in the league in motivating a team...he's that damn good...

Kobe...we'll just have to see...he's still young...

and he has a young team around him...and Vlade...

I don't know...we'll see...they'll have a long road to hoe...

and if Shaq falls apart in Miami...I'll be the first in line to say you were right hombre...

but I do think Shaq will be a completely dominating force in Miami...but of course...they don't have much around him either...

truth be told...both teams will probably be middling or slightly above...

Now...what of these Jordan in Miami rumors?

Comment

• Lou

The NBA is suffering from not having any few if any team rivalries (maybe Lakers/Kings and Detroit/Indiana, but even those aren't THAT strong) and zero, zippo player rivalries.

Would anyone agree with me that it's a damn shame that Detroit didn't draft Carmelo Anthony? Because we could have been treated to years and years of LeBron and Carmelo in the same division going head to head. Would have been great for the NBA.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Yeah...lots of talk about that...

but what can you do...it still wouldn't have been the rivalry of the past...but would have added some rivalry for sure...

it's more than that though...not sure what the NBA needs at this point...we'll see...

Comment

• Lou

Well rivalries would be a step in the right direction.

But they also need the fundamentals to become part of the game again. Now it's just a bunch of one on one, breaking individuals down, instead of a team game. Players can't shoot either which is a serious problem...we saw that in the Olympics. And THAT is why scoring is down in my opinion, because players just rely too much on atheticism to get to the hoop instead of learning how to drain a 12 footer. That's not saying I want it to be an all shooting league like the European teams but when those shots present themselves, it'd be nice if they could go down a little more.

Comment

• badhorsie

PURE shooters are really rare in the league right now. But hopefully players like Dirk will inspire kids to practice their range and shooting.

I COMPLETELY agree about the Rudy T comment. What a great coach.

Comment

• Lou

You know what though, how about Allen Iverson shooting under 40% for the second time in the last three years. And he can just get away with that because shooting in general sucks in the league. I don't need people to be pure shooters but when you have a 12 foot wide open jumper, you have to hit it, I don't care who you are.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Well...I miss the team aspect...I think there ARE shooters out there...just aren't focused on in any kind of offense...

allowing the zone in the NBA was a way to bring that back...but as long as you have players only lasting a couple of years in college...if that...you'll never have team game...and/or shooters...

It's gotta start early...but unfortunately...most of the talented guys are all about the 1-1...as Lou said...

You have to build real rivalries though...which is hard to do in this day and age because of the fact that players don't stick around...

but the NBA could try and build a Nets/Knicks rivalry...a Sixers/Boston rivalry...a Laker/Boston rivalry...

problem is...the product sucks...

I think you'll see it again though..as long as the European teams are kicking the shit out of our "all-star" teams...you'll see shooters develop...

the question is...will the NBA focus on these guys...or will they continue to focus on the Kobes and flash...or try and focus on the guys that can do it all...of which there are few...

There aren't Birds...who can play team D...and shoot...and pass...

There aren't Magic's...who learned how to shoot...but had that baby hook...and a million other ways to kill you...

LeBron looks like that kind of player...but we'll see...

The product can only go so far as the pieces in that product...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

I have to say this about Iverson though...he was the only guy that played with heart in the Olympics...which was good to see from a guy with no heart...

if he played that way in the NBA...he'd be unstoppable...

I agree though...basics are at a minimum in the NBA...

someone mentioned Dirk...but the guy can't play a lick of D...

Comment

• Lou

Iverson plays with heart on the court, and that's about it. He doesn't do anything off the court. You need both. Do you really think he works on his game in the off-season? I wonder when the last time is he actually practiced a jump shot or a free throw. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say he hasn't spend consecutive hours practicing shooting.

See the thing is, it's also fun to play out there. It's not fun practicing. Don't give Iverson more credit than he deserves. He also showed up late for a meeting out there in Athens too...gotta wonder how much he cared. Or how about when he was late arriving to the playoff game against the Pistons in 2003. Again you gotta wonder how much he was caring then.

I would have let Iverson go for nothing instead of re-signing him. There is no way the Sixers can get better while he's still on this team. And that's not for the off-court stuff, it's for the ON-court stuff. The turnovers, flying by the player who has the ball trying to get a steal and leaving the rest of the team with a 5 on 4, the 70-75% foul shooting (inexcusable for a shooting guard), the 39.8% shooting, the poor 3 point shooting, that he gets injured all the time because he doesn't work out, that he can't even dunk the basketball anymore because of that...I'm so tired of him. He's not anywhere near the top 20 players in the NBA and I mean that. Huge mistake from a basketball perspective in not getting rid of him. And now they can't trade him. You can't even get someone else's GARBAGE for him. No one wants him.

Comment

Working...