Thread: Halen and Hendrix the best?

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Exclamation Halen and Hendrix the best?

Sitting here listening to some VH live and how raw Ed was,he and Hendirx are probably the best I've ever heard.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd still put Hendrix above Eddie any day. Eddie was great. But he still had a limited bag of tricks, I feel. In terms of actual guitar playing and overall talent, Hendrix blew him away.

Okay, let the flames begin.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am a old school EVH fan, but Hendrix would have to get the nod. I have an Isle of Wight DVD and Hendrix is simply awesome...
    Go home the Earth is full....

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by sambo
    I am a old school EVH fan, but Hendrix would have to get the nod. I have an Isle of Wight DVD and Hendrix is simply awesome...
    Amazing DVD. And that wasn't even one of Hendrix's best shows. He was sloppy and plagued by technical problems. Yet it was still amazing!

If you want something really flawless, check out his performance on the JIMI PLAYS BERKELEY DVD. Now that's a performance!!!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll agree with Rikk, I'll give Hendrix the nod and for the same reason...Ed's done some BRILLIANT shit (especially some of the solos circa 1978-1982), but I have always felt it's borrowed from the same bag of tricks...the tapping, etc...Hendrix gets the slight edge in my book, but emphasis on "slight"...classic Ed's right up there with him...
    Twistin' by the pool.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk
    Amazing DVD. And that wasn't even one of Hendrix's best shows. He was sloppy and plagued by technical problems. Yet it was still amazing!

If you want something really flawless, check out his performance on the JIMI PLAYS BERKELEY DVD. Now that's a performance!!!
    Thanks for the heads up Rikk .. I will look out for the DVD.
    I agree with your comments re Isle of Wight and some of the technical issues, but it just showed, even when sloppy and things are going wrong around him, he is just brilliant.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
    My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Who's the guy in the middle? He looks familiar...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    EVH has opened the 'guitar shred' era

roy who?
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He used to play guitar for the wahbirbungholes

badhorsie
    "the best"?

No such thing.

Eddie and Jimi are the elite of the fucking elite for the electric guitar.

They both pioneered and changed how guitarists (and other musicians) approach their instruments.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
    Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
    Hendrix was much much more than a blues player... shit Manic Depression was a fucking Waltz... The biggest asset of Hendrix's creativity was also in the studio in capturing his sound. He and Eddie Kramer captured and created sounds on simple 4 or 8 track analog systems that are just amazing given the total lack of technology. If you dig into Hendrix's later writing you'll find stuff way beyond the blues.

I wouldn't say Ed reinvented the way guitar is played. All of his tricks were around long before he debuted in 78. What Ed did bring in his song writing was unique chord phrasing embellished with all the tricks you mentioned within his fills and solos. I view Ed as more of a repackager in that he assembled things in a unique way that hadn't been voiced in such a manner before.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Ed could play anything that Jimi played....but I don't think the same could be said vice versa. Did Hendrix have the chops to play Eruption?? (that's not intended to be a slight. I've just never been a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix).

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by badhorsie
    "the best"?

No such thing.

Eddie and Jimi are the elite of the fucking elite for the electric guitar.

They both pioneered and changed how guitarists (and other musicians) approach their instruments.
    Good point.

Crazy Ass Mofo

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Vanstonica
    I think Ed could play anything that Jimi played....but I don't think the same could be said vice versa. Did Hendrix have the chops to play Eruption?? (that's not intended to be a slight. I've just never been a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix).
    Creative guitar playing isn't a sport.

Hendrix's pallette of sounds was much broader the EVH.

And VAI's is ever broader.

I wouldn't say 1 was better than the other.

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree Pete, you just can't ocmpare the two.

But as for who I like more, well, I think early Ed kills anything of Jimmy's you can throw at it.
    "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting thought: Had Ed drank himself to death after say Fair Warning, how would history remember his legend???
    Roth Army Militia

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Hendrix was much much more than a blues player... shit Manic Depression was a fucking Waltz... The biggest asset of Hendrix's creativity was also in the studio in capturing his sound. He and Eddie Kramer captured and created sounds on simple 4 or 8 track analog systems that are just amazing given the total lack of technology. If you dig into Hendrix's later writing you'll find stuff way beyond the blues.

I wouldn't say Ed reinvented the way guitar is played. All of his tricks were around long before he debuted in 78. What Ed did bring in his song writing was unique chord phrasing embellished with all the tricks you mentioned within his fills and solos. I view Ed as more of a repackager in that he assembled things in a unique way that hadn't been voiced in such a manner before.
    I agree. As for Hendrix's later stuff, spot on. Listen to FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN or even his BAND OF GYPSYS period. There are elements of soul and 70's funk in there. That stuff was space age and ahead of its time.

Hendrix was no fucking blues player.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ed could not play VILLANOVA JUNCTION. No way. He just doesn't have those kind of chops.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hello!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good question, Don.

Music history seems to smile on tragedy. I think people really think immortalize Hendrix because of what he could have done, not as much as what he actually did. You could probably say the same thing about Stevie Ray Vaughn (my personal pick for best guitarist I've ever heard).

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by pete
    Creative guitar playing isn't a sport.

Hendrix's pallette of sounds was much broader the EVH.

And VAI's is ever broader.

I wouldn't say 1 was better than the other.
    It's subjective. Who can say which player is better? There's no real curriculum by which you can choose the better player. If I had to choose which player I prefer, I'd say Hendrix. I think he was more versatile and accomplished more in three years than Ed did. That said, who knows if Hendrix would have started repeating himself if he hadn't died in September 1970. Sometimes, people become legends because we never see them on their downside.

But Hendrix was (IMO) the best.

Then again, I'm a singer that plays drums too. I don't know enough about guitar playing except if people are good enough or not. I've worked with enough.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good question, Don.

Music history seems to smile on tragedy. I think people really think immortalize Hendrix because of what he could have done, not as much as what he actually did. You could probably say the same thing about Stevie Ray Vaughn (my personal pick for best guitarist I've ever heard).
    Totally disagree. Hendrix did A LOT. The recordings he did from 1967-1970 are among the best in rock...ever. There's no awkward period. His awkward period was before he was signed. But dude recorded more music in three years than most people do in a lifetime. The only thing about Hendrix is we just never saw him at his worst. And Hendrix's worst would still have been better than the generic playing on something like OU812. Ed truly peaked during the Roth years. That's another reason the band was better than. In fact, I would say his guitar peak was FAIR WARNING...although (yes, attack me) he did play some good guitar on VH3, as shitty an album as that was.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hey RIKK,

i guess "Red House" doesn't show any
    blues guitar talent. Get Real. That's the
    big difference between Hendrix and Eddie.
    Ever hear Eddie play anything like that?
    No, because he's strictly rock. Hendrix,
    however, could play it all.

Hendrix #1

tie for #2, Ed and Vai

#4 Stevie Ray Vaughan

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by fanofdave
    hey RIKK,

Get Real.
    Hey, cunt...why don't you read the post? I'm pushing Hendrix ABOVE Eddie!! I think Hendrix does it all. Why don't you read before flying off at the mouth, squiggy? I never said he CAN'T play blues. I said he's not a blues player (as in strictly a blues player).

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hendrix's song writing ran such a wide path both in composition and in tone. Ed's a good songwriter in his own way... but I've yet to hear write anything that compares to Castles Made of Sand, Gypsy Eyes, Ezy Rider, or 1983 A Merman I should Be... especially on the compositional side of the equation.

Rikk you mentioned Jimi's awkward period... don't forget through the early 60's Jimi was playing and recording with Lonnie Youngblood, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Isley Brothers and Kurtis Knight playing on the Chitlin circuit through out the South doing Blues, Soul and Funk... In 65 he formed Jimmy James and the Blue Flames in NY which also included up and coming Randy California and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

If you want to go real deep... Hendrix actually recorded a song in 69 with Lightnin' Rod and Buddy Miles on drums called Doriella Du Fontane which some have sited as one of the earliest known recordings of Rap... Just an oddball fact most have never heard... I actually have it on CD.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ZahZoo
    Hendrix's song writing ran such a wide path both in composition and in tone. Ed's a good songwriter in his own way... but I've yet to hear write anything that compares to Castles Made of Sand, Gypsy Eyes, Ezy Rider, or 1983 A Merman I should Be... especially on the compositional side of the equation.

Rikk you mentioned Jimi's awkward period... don't forget through the early 60's Jimi was playing and recording with Lonnie Youngblood, Sam Cooke, Jackie Wilson, Little Richard, Isley Brothers and Kurtis Knight playing on the Chitlin circuit through out the South doing Blues, Soul and Funk... In 65 he formed Jimmy James and the Blue Flames in NY which also included up and coming Randy California and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

If you want to go real deep... Hendrix actually recorded a song in 69 with Lightnin' Rod and Buddy Miles on drums called Doriella Du Fontane which some have sited as one of the earliest known recordings of Rap... Just an oddball fact most have never heard... I actually have it on CD.
    Great post!

Actually, that CD is hard to come by now. Funny enough, I have something like 40 Hendrix CDs, and I still never got that one.

Hendrix's early years were definitely backing-up other smaller talents. His 65-66 band (with Randy California) was really a very different beast from the Experience. Interesting stuff...but I would still call it the awkward period. Of course, the Experience were very well-packaged. But compositions like THIRD STONE FROM THE SUN, DRIFTING, 1983 (yep, that's maybe his best) and ONE RAINY WISH definitely show greater musical maturity than Ed has shown through most of his career. Plus, Hendrix even wrote the lyrics and did the vocals. Incredible, incredible talent!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    TOTALY IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION .
    I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND A DOZEN TIMES WHILE TYPING.
    ALL THE ARGUMENTS ARE VALID BUT HENDRIX WAS SPECIAL.
    EVH KIND OF PUT THE BAG OF TRICKS AWAY AROUND THE 5150 MARK.
    AND HENDRIX NEVER GOT TO MEET A HAGAR TYPE FIGURE TO BRING HIM DOWN TO MEDIOCRITY.
    IMAGINE HENDRIX ON KEYBOARD WITH SOME SHIT SINGER PLAYING GUITAR????

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The most innovative rock guitarists were Hendrix, Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen. They redefined the electric guitar.

The best rock guitarist is a matter of opinion.

My vote goes to Yngwie, Uli Jon Roth, and John Sykes.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    EVH has opened the 'guitar shred' era
    Actually shred guitar was started by Al Di Meola several years before Ed came on the scene.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually Hendrix started the whammy bar stuff. Harmonics and tapping was done by others before Ed including the guitarist from Free.

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jimi was miles ahead of anybody at that time (and ahead of Eddie) with his ease and versatility. Musically versed, Jimi was, and did, could play many different styles. Ed, on the other hand, is straight rock.

They both are innovators and great musicians, giving us all something superb to listen to!

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    SOMETHING NEW IN MUSIC IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.
    IN THE END YOU CAN ONLY GO WITH YOUR OPINION,I ALWAYS DUG
    PAGE ,TOWNSEND AND EVH WHO WERE ALL INFLUENCED BY OLDER ARTISTS.
    I NEVER REALLY GOT A LOT OF THE MALMSTEIN STUFF.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hey RIKK,

sorry for the misunderstanding, mate.

i understand that you're rating hendrix above
    eddie. its just my opinion that hendrix could
    play as good as most blues guitarists. he was
    that good.

i wasn't implying that hendrix was strictly a blues
    player. i was trying to say that he COULD play the
    blues and that's something that eddie hasn't
    demonstrated.

"cunt"? we've hardly met, mate. but i'll fetch ya
    one of my ladies if it'll settle ya down some.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by fanofdave
    hey RIKK,

sorry for the misunderstanding, mate.

i understand that you're rating hendrix above
    eddie. its just my opinion that hendrix could
    play as good as most blues guitarists. he was
    that good.

i wasn't implying that hendrix was strictly a blues
    player. i was trying to say that he COULD play the
    blues and that's something that eddie hasn't
    demonstrated.

"cunt"? we've hardly met, mate. but i'll fetch ya
    one of my ladies if it'll settle ya down some.
    LOL...sounds good.

Anyway, it's all good, my friend.

As for RED HOUSE, great cut. But I still think HEAR MY TRAIN 'A' COMIN' (especially at Berkeley or even with its mass of overdubs on MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING) is Hendrix's blues masterpiece. Just an astounding cut.

What kind of beer you drink, mate?

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no . Are you sure thats your final answer? I dont need to check your profile to know your still a youngster. EVH 78- EVH 80.......intence display off electric guitar playing strait from the spirit world. Back in the day he would make your knee's nock and put butter flies in your stomach. Thats the shit! When he walksd on stage you knew you were in the presence of true greatness. Then he got famous drunk and married and lost the edge. But if Hendrix had never been born would we be here? Beter yet would this site be here? JIMI HENDRIX WAS HIS DADDY!

Classic
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk
    I'd still put Hendrix above Eddie any day. Eddie was great. But he still had a limited bag of tricks, I feel. In terms of actual guitar playing and overall talent, Hendrix blew him away.

Okay, let the flames begin.
    I agree with you Rikk. As much of and Eddie fan I am I am also a Hendrix fan. Hendrix did stuff with the Strat that with the equipment he used to this day I don't think anyone can duplicate. Hendrix did so much with not as much technical hardware as some of the guys in the past 20 years. Who knows what he could have done if he continued to live. Just in that 3 year span he did a hell of a lot.

Killeth
    Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, unlike you guys, I ain't really a hendrix fan, I am more of a Randy Rhoads fan...he was great
    Killeth

Kramer Guitar Freak
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm not gonna touch that one.... All I will say is that Hendrix had THIN tone....

Shaun
    "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This type of question generally gets a lot of subjective answers so I will try to keep it objective. The biggest reason why Hendrix was so great was because he was a pioneer. Steve Vai has had guitarist tell him that they could play all of Hendrix's stuff so he asks them "Yea but can you write it?". Hendrix's biggest attribute was that when he came on the scene and changed everything, just ask Yngwie. Eddy did the same thing in his way. As far as technical ability and creativeness I would have to pick Steve Vai, except for blues. Steve has called himself the worlds worst blues player. No other guitar player has a larger musical vocabulary than Steve otherwise.

Thread Information