X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dave_is_vh
    Sniper
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
    Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
    My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma
    Actually Hendrix started the whammy bar stuff. Harmonics and tapping was done by others before Ed including the guitarist from Free.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Comment

• CROWBAR
      Commando
      • Sep 2004

Jimi was miles ahead of anybody at that time (and ahead of Eddie) with his ease and versatility. Musically versed, Jimi was, and did, could play many different styles. Ed, on the other hand, is straight rock.

They both are innovators and great musicians, giving us all something superb to listen to!

Comment

• janarak
        Roadie
        • Aug 2004

SOMETHING NEW IN MUSIC IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.
        IN THE END YOU CAN ONLY GO WITH YOUR OPINION,I ALWAYS DUG
        PAGE ,TOWNSEND AND EVH WHO WERE ALL INFLUENCED BY OLDER ARTISTS.
        I NEVER REALLY GOT A LOT OF THE MALMSTEIN STUFF.

Comment

• fanofdave
          Foot Soldier
          • Jan 2004

hey RIKK,

sorry for the misunderstanding, mate.

i understand that you're rating hendrix above
          eddie. its just my opinion that hendrix could
          play as good as most blues guitarists. he was
          that good.

i wasn't implying that hendrix was strictly a blues
          player. i was trying to say that he COULD play the
          blues and that's something that eddie hasn't
          demonstrated.

"cunt"? we've hardly met, mate. but i'll fetch ya
          one of my ladies if it'll settle ya down some.

Comment

• Rikk
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fanofdave
            hey RIKK,

sorry for the misunderstanding, mate.

i understand that you're rating hendrix above
            eddie. its just my opinion that hendrix could
            play as good as most blues guitarists. he was
            that good.

i wasn't implying that hendrix was strictly a blues
            player. i was trying to say that he COULD play the
            blues and that's something that eddie hasn't
            demonstrated.

"cunt"? we've hardly met, mate. but i'll fetch ya
            one of my ladies if it'll settle ya down some.
            LOL...sounds good.

Anyway, it's all good, my friend.

As for RED HOUSE, great cut. But I still think HEAR MY TRAIN 'A' COMIN' (especially at Berkeley or even with its mass of overdubs on MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING) is Hendrix's blues masterpiece. Just an astounding cut.

What kind of beer you drink, mate?
            Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
            Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• throatrocket
              Groupie
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DaveTheSoulOfVH
              Hendrix is the just a blues player with more distortion in his sound; Eddie has reinvented the way to play the guitar (harmonics, whammy bar, tapping, legato etc) c'mon, eddie is a fuckin' genius !!!
              My choice would be EVH #1 but Hendrix has a huge charisma
              no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no . Are you sure thats your final answer? I dont need to check your profile to know your still a youngster. EVH 78- EVH 80.......intence display off electric guitar playing strait from the spirit world. Back in the day he would make your knee's nock and put butter flies in your stomach. Thats the shit! When he walksd on stage you knew you were in the presence of true greatness. Then he got famous drunk and married and lost the edge. But if Hendrix had never been born would we be here? Beter yet would this site be here? JIMI HENDRIX WAS HIS DADDY!

Comment

• AJW
                Head Fluffer
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                I'd still put Hendrix above Eddie any day. Eddie was great. But he still had a limited bag of tricks, I feel. In terms of actual guitar playing and overall talent, Hendrix blew him away.

Okay, let the flames begin.
                I agree with you Rikk. As much of and Eddie fan I am I am also a Hendrix fan. Hendrix did stuff with the Strat that with the equipment he used to this day I don't think anyone can duplicate. Hendrix did so much with not as much technical hardware as some of the guys in the past 20 years. Who knows what he could have done if he continued to live. Just in that 3 year span he did a hell of a lot.

Comment

• randy_rhoads
                  Roth Army Recruit
                  • Oct 2004

Well, unlike you guys, I ain't really a hendrix fan, I am more of a Randy Rhoads fan...he was great
                  Killeth

Comment

• kcmusician
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jul 2004

I'm not gonna touch that one.... All I will say is that Hendrix had THIN tone....

Shaun
                    "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• Mr. G
                      Roadie
                      • Jun 2004

This type of question generally gets a lot of subjective answers so I will try to keep it objective. The biggest reason why Hendrix was so great was because he was a pioneer. Steve Vai has had guitarist tell him that they could play all of Hendrix's stuff so he asks them "Yea but can you write it?". Hendrix's biggest attribute was that when he came on the scene and changed everything, just ask Yngwie. Eddy did the same thing in his way. As far as technical ability and creativeness I would have to pick Steve Vai, except for blues. Steve has called himself the worlds worst blues player. No other guitar player has a larger musical vocabulary than Steve otherwise.

Comment

• fanofdave
                        Foot Soldier
                        • Jan 2004

here's sharing a 6'er of fosters oilcans, yank.

Comment

• pete
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by janarak
                          TOTALY IMPOSSIBLE QUESTION .
                          I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND A DOZEN TIMES WHILE TYPING.
                          ALL THE ARGUMENTS ARE VALID BUT HENDRIX WAS SPECIAL.
                          EVH KIND OF PUT THE BAG OF TRICKS AWAY AROUND THE 5150 MARK.
                          AND HENDRIX NEVER GOT TO MEET A HAGAR TYPE FIGURE TO BRING HIM DOWN TO MEDIOCRITY.
                          IMAGINE HENDRIX ON KEYBOARD WITH SOME SHIT SINGER PLAYING GUITAR????
                          Hendrix was spiritual.

Sometimes you're playing guitar and all of a sudden you're no longer in control. It's just coming out of you.

Hendrix could get there at will.

I've been there. It's almost scary.

I was playing with a friend recently and a moment like that happened and it was late at night. an older friend was playing rhythm. I'm playing lead. It was a neil young song. All of the sudden I felt disconnected. It was all coming through my body. I felt like I was possessed. It was beautiful sounding and I'm listening, eyes closed and wondering what was gonna happen next. I stopped and stared at my hands.

He looks at me, smiles and says "you can never capture that on tape"

Sorry for the rant

Hendrix took rock further than any1 ever. He meant everything he ever played or sang. Never bowed to pressure.

He drove Eddie Kramer crazy because they would record forever to try and get to that PLACE.

His journey was spiritual. Music was why he existed.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

I prefer Yngwie J. Malmsteen! But, only since he's become a FAT BASTARD!!! cheeky Monkey!!!! And don't forget, "You've released the Fookin' FURY!!!!!" Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!

Comment

• kcmusician
                              Head Fluffer
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                              I prefer Yngwie J. Malmsteen! But, only since he's become a FAT BASTARD!!! cheeky Monkey!!!! And don't forget, "You've released the Fookin' FURY!!!!!" Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!
                              That dude has an ego the size of all the past, present, and future members of Van Halen combined! But he's a good guitarist.

Shaun
                              "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• vanhalenrock

Alot of u dont have a clue you are being too picky of what Eddie Didn't Invent look at Eddies overall sound his use of techniques and his style of playing NO-ONE. sounded like EVH before him, As for the EVH cant play blues comment. I heard a recording of EVH play crossroads and he flew through it easy peasy and got the feeling and vibrato of the blues down to a T. EVH grew up on blues his favourite guitarist was Clapton. Eddie Plays Rock, Blues and all sorts of crazy shit.

Hendrix isn't my favourite but.. i respect that guy as much as i respect any great guitarist, he raised the bar to new levels that no guitarist could touch, then came along Eddie and raised it again, ever since EVH raised that level of guitar playing i aint heard anyone do anything new..... all i've heard is people replicating EVH using alot more Effects and playing faster........ i aint heard any new guitar sound like EVH done in '78 no one has came along and just attacked the guitar with such a new sound and style like EVH, only person i will rate as high as Eddie is Steve Vai simply because the guy is a genious he plays his own stuff and he admits Eddie was a big influence on him, but one thing Vai never done was copied EVH & passed it off as original like almost every 80s guitarist done.

You people who think EVHs sound and bag of tricks runs empty at Eruption have alot to learn.

Comment

Working...