Thread: A GREAT write up on WACF by a Nevada columnist!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Post A GREAT write up on WACF by a Nevada columnist!

http://www.lasvegasmercury.com/2004/.../24868076.html

Thursday, September 30, 2004
    Copyright © Las Vegas Mercury

Replay: Van Halen, Women and Children First

It was 1980, and technology was primitive. I had one of those tinny cassette players that lay flat on a table and had a plastic handle on one end. KFM, then an album rock station (an extinct species), announced that it would broadcast Van Halen's new record in its entirety. As a VH fanatic with limited funds, I had only one option: Record the station's broadcast on my tape player. I ordered my little brother to leave me alone for half an hour and closed my bedroom door. At the appointed time, I brought the cassette player's microphone up close to the radio speaker and hit the red record button.

That bootlegged copy of Women and Children First served me well. In fact, I relied on it for several years. The recording wasn't great, but it didn't matter: Eddie Van Halen's guitar pyrotechnics and David Lee Roth's rock god antics came through loud and clear.

Women and Children First was Van Halen's third album and arguably its best. The band's first first two albums are hard rock classics, but on its third disc it exhibits total confidence in its ability to enthrall listeners. The album's nine tracks may represent the best example in rock history of a band reveling in its charisma, talent and the utter coolness of standing atop the rock 'n' roll mountain. Almost everything about the album is gratuitous, yet the performers are so good at what they do that it almost never grates.

"And the Cradle Will Rock" kicks things off with Roth relating a classic tale of a young man at loose ends who finds his calling in rock 'n' roll. It's a theme that runs throughout the album. "Everybody Wants Some" is a jumble of a composition, really, but VH pulls it off, even Roth's play-acting in the middle ("I like the way the line runs up the back of their stockings. ... No, no, no, don't take 'em off. ... Yeah, that's it, a little more to the right.") "Romeo Delight" is a rock 'n' roll buffet, shifting smoothly from rollicking boogie to roller-coaster solo to intricate interlude ("Feel my heartbeat") and building back to a ram-jam conclusion. "Baby, please, I can't take it anymore," DLR pleads, and you believe him. But perhaps the album's highlight is "Fools," during which Eddie Van Halen and Roth basically fool around with their respective instruments for the first third of the song before launching into a midtempo headbang-fest. Roth had an uncanny ability to reach the hearts and minds of his teenage fans: "My teachers all gave up on me/ No matter what they say, I disagree."

The album closes with the folky "Could This Be Magic?" and the earnest, radio-friendly "In a Simple Rhyme," reflecting the band's ability to drop the pose and delve in the finer points of pop. VH could do no wrong there for a while.--Geoff Schumacher

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Nigel
    I remember this Concert in 1980 ( The Invasion Tour). It was the first time VH looked like they'd made it to The Big Time. The set design was from outer space, Dave had the Afghan hounds strapped to his legs, the JD bottle, Eddies wicked riffs and impromptu jams, Alex's 4 bass drums (and of course the first of many l-o-o-o-ng and boring Bass solos) from "what's his name.

Van Halen had arrived and they were unlike any other. However it was the "fair Warning Tour where things got even MORE interesting.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-31-2013 @ 05:10 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Great read. Thanks!

Lou
    Actually the 1980 tour didn't even have a bass solo surprisingly. Alex and MA did a little jam thing before Jamie's Cryin' and MA would play bass stuff while Dave rapped before "Bright Lights, Big City." However MA more than made up for it in the next few years. To tell you the truth I don't think his 1982-83 solo is half bad with "The Lone Ranger," "Could This Be Magic" and whatever else he does...the 1984 solo which routinely approached 5 minutes was just terrible though.

Nigel
    Gee, Lou, at 23 yrs. old, I'm curious to know how a fetus could see the tour in 1980.

I was 26 at the time and remember the same 'noisy" vacuous special effects crap and throwing the bass on the ground as it groaned pitifully.

Trust me, its the same tired bass solo.

Thread Information