Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-22-2011 @ 11:45 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Darkness-for or against?

I'm interested to know-The Darkness have split the British public in half. It seems that, here, most of the people who don't like it-just don't get it. Personally, I can't wait for their new album or the Manchester show in December. What do you guys think?

HERE'S WHAT I THINK
    The Darkness are a much needed breath of fresh-air, compared to the rest of todays music scene which is full of boybands and hip-hop. Sure, they are a combined rip-off of Van Halen, Queen and AC/DC (and they should certainly give AC/DC some royalties for 'Black Shuck')-but I'd rather hear a VH/AC/DC/Queen rip-off than a boyband or rapper.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2013 @ 07:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

We`ve had this arguement before in here.

Personally, I think they`ve got a shit hot publicist who has got a lot of influence in magazines and TV and an excellent booking agent who set them up with great tours.

Apart from that, I think their music is way over hyped.

I have heard their album and didn`t get excited about any of it.

I can understand why younger music fans will like it, because they haven`t had anything of their own like that before.

Older guys like me have seen it all before.

In fact, I`ve seen a lot more British bands who were, in my opinion, better prospects fall by the wayside through lack of support by their record companies which makes The Darkness` success all the harder to take.

The combined AC/DC/Queen/Van Halen thing you refer to is also questionable.

Again they`ve used bits and pieces of those bands gimmicks to sell their music to people that don`t remeber the originals doing them.

And a christmas single would never get a serious rock band any credibilty.

I always respect peoples rights to like whatever music they want but The Darkness` bubble will burst come their next album as I think it will be a rehash of their first album and people will get sick of it.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Thanks forthe dream.- DLR
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-19-2021 @ 12:39 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I don't like them and get pissed off when anyone compares that singer to Dave.

Marlowe01
    I think they're great and can't wait for a new album they aren't really anything new, musically.

The Todd Show
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2010 @ 04:02 PM
    Status
    Thanks

For - the music industry needs a good shot of humor.

Mezro...I can't see them having longevity though...

The Last in Line
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    04-10-2005 @ 02:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

In a music seen that is full of whiner bands who drone on endlessly, I think its damn awesome that we have a band bringing rock back to its roots - chicks and fun. This is the Counter-Revolution against the Cobain followers. These guys pack a powerful a punch. While they aren’t Eddie Van Halen, Justin and his brother offer some great riffs and solos.

I would never compare him to Dave, but I think it’s cool that Justin have been inspired by the Diamond One. These guys respect the classic stuff and want to bring it back to popularity. God Bless ‘em for it.

The next album will be absolutely huge. I haven’t been this jacked for a new album in a while.

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2014 @ 08:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The singer's voice irritates me to no end...especially when he does that Tiny Tim thing. However, aside from that they're just a straight ahead rock band.

Lou
    Looking forward to them....falling off the face of the earth for good.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-26-2024 @ 02:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Yes they Rock,but they get too much air play on the radio.
    Change the fucking record guys 99 Fm.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-06-2006 @ 03:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

im looking to see if their next album will top the last, i thought it was great and i cant wait. they are picking up where some great bands left off, and imagine them opening or sharing a bill with a great band, thatd definitly complete a show

Mr. Awesome
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    01-23-2006 @ 09:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm a darkness fan, maybe cause I'm young or w/e, but they kick ass. They have that fuck you attitude of VH, DLR, GNR, Zeppelin, ect. Like some people just said, they are against the whinny alternative bullshit and it's refreshing.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    03-06-2008 @ 04:29 AM
    Status
    Thanks

i never heard the darkness on any of my local radio stations. so i cant see these guys as overplayed, but i'm still in the small of my school as a person who loves this fucking band. most people i hear compare dave to justin dont know what their talking about in the first place. But i listened to the whole album about one a week, only one bad song, that love on the rocks, it sounds to much like a creed song or something. they're great bcause they dont sound like the new stuff, but with the singer, they have a love/hate relationship with most people

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

its kicks the shit of this emo hype shit, i hate emo

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Brownsound1
    The singer's voice irritates me to no end...especially when he does that Tiny Tim thing. However, aside from that they're just a straight ahead rock band.
    Pretty much what I was going to post..
    I cant stand the falsetto crap that dude does, but I do like
    some of the riffs they are coming up with....
    Actually I would like to hear Hawkins sing in a normal
    register, I think he can. Drop the falsetto/Tiny Tim
    gimmick. They have potential

Their attitude is refreshing for sure !

Kinda reminds me of a band we all knew and loved..

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-19-2021 @ 04:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
    In a music seen that is full of whiner bands who drone on endlessly, I think its damn awesome that we have a band bringing rock back to its roots - chicks and fun. This is the Counter-Revolution against the Cobain followers. These guys pack a powerful a punch. While they aren’t Eddie Van Halen, Justin and his brother offer some great riffs and solos.

I would never compare him to Dave, but I think it’s cool that Justin have been inspired by the Diamond One. These guys respect the classic stuff and want to bring it back to popularity. God Bless ‘em for it.

The next album will be absolutely huge. I haven’t been this jacked for a new album in a while.
    Exactly.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Darkness... yeah it's better than the fuckin' whiner-rock crap that's out there, but they still suck. The singer just can't fuckin' sing... Right on about that Tiny Tim crap, bring on Halford, MOTHERFUCKER!!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    02-10-2008 @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They suck! That's what you have to say around here to fit in. Hell if you don't worship the ground that these DLR wannabes walk on your opinion doesn't count. Am I pissing you off well too bad. Motley Crue and Ratt rule. Dave will always be the best but you guys and gals just can't accept change. If YOU don't like what I'M saying then don't read the post BRRAAAAWWWWHAHAHAHA! And by the way If you don't like it then F$%^ you. Ya'll need to curb your language around here.

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-08-2003 @ 08:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

They suck! That's what you have to say around here to fit in. Hell if you don't worship the ground that these DLR wannabes walk on your opinion doesn't count. Am I pissing you off well too bad. Motley Crue and Ratt rule. Dave will always be the best but you guys and gals just can't accept change. If YOU don't like what I'M saying then don't read the post BRRAAAAWWWWHAHAHAHA! And by the way If you don't like it then F$%^ you. Ya'll need to curb your language around here.
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_connect(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/admin/dbprefs.php</b> on line <b>52</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>302</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>318</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>318</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>187</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>187</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>235</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/util.php</b> on line <b>235</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): Can't create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/graphnew.php</b> on line <b>298</b><br />
    <br />
    <b>Warning</b>: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in <b>/home/rotharmy/public_html/forums/alice/faqbot/src/graphnew.php</b> on line <b>298</b><br />

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm for The Darkness the band.

I'm against the darkness the visual condition when I'm trying to find the candles during a power outtage.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2014 @ 09:30 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The playin' aint bad, but the singer makes them seem like a bit of a joke.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    02-10-2008 @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Warning! What Nazi outfit is running this joint? Guys I was just funnin trying to razz you a bit and see if you were really serious about your me for me attitude and if you don't like it get the $%^& out. But that's cool I see there is a an obvious regular on here who is the moderator who will flag me and why? You guys are dropping the "F" bomb left and right and I disagree with something and I get slammed. That is SO funny. UGH this is the David Lee Roth Forums. We do what we want.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the darkness stick out from the rest of the junk thats coming out today, and thats good

badhorsie
    Maybe if they sounded original or had a good singer i'd give them another chance.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DLRDUDE
    And by the way If you don't like it then F$%^ you.
    Originally posted by DLRDUDE
    if you don't like it get the $%^& out
    You do rea;ise that you CAN say fuck. You won't get tortured by some Nazi piece of shit for saying it.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You can say cunt too !!

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah-that's why this site kicks more ass than a guy who gets hired by the world's most successful gangster to go round and kick the ass of the people who owe him money.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey, it's either the Darkness or more of them depressing emo-bands like Coldplay! I'd rather hear a guy dressed on pink singing falsetto in a real rock band than some wanker singing about how his mum beat the crap out of him, and yet the bastard is still sad even though he has made a million dollars! GIVE ME A FUCKIN BREAK!!!!

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah-it's better to have fun than it is to be depressed

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

they have the rock n roll element

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The second album is always the key album.

You`ve got your whole life (and by the looks of The Darkness, it`s been a long one) to write your first album.

There`s more pressure to come up with a second which is just as good but has something slightly different to keep everyones interest.

From what I`ve heard the new songs they played at the Reading Festival sucked.

If they keep up the comedy AC/DC routine, then I think they will bomb big time.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
    The second album is always the key album.
    I've always thought the 3rd album is the most important. The first is the one you write your whole life-if the first is a success-the second is guranteed to be a success. But, the third album then has to be one of your best. It shows your staying power.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
    I've always thought the 3rd album is the most important. The first is the one you write your whole life-if the first is a success-the second is guranteed to be a success. But, the third album then has to be one of your best. It shows your staying power.
    I dunno about that.

Think back ten years to the Quireboys.

Another potentialy great British band although they were trading very much on past bands trademarks, much like The Darkness.

Their first album "A bit of what you fancy" was brilliant, their follow up "Bitter sweet and twisted" sucked.

End of career.

Even Thunder, another great British band with loads of potential, followed their classic debut "Back steet symphony" with "Laughing on judgement day", an album just as good.

However, the public had heard it all before and they never got any bigger.

I don`t know if The Darkness over-exposure in Britain will backfire on them, leaving the public bored with the whole thing.

It has happened to bigger bands.

Think of Kiss.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

So, The Quireboys' (who actually supported Dave earlier this year. Also UFO and currently supporting Whitesnake and had a feature dedicated to them in Classic Rock. They're actually a good laugh live) 3rd album (in the mid-90's) WASN'T a success (they have a new album-their 4th- 'Well Oiled'). So, they didn't have staying power. Can't really comment on Thunder-I've never been able to call myself a fan-but THEY didn't have staying power (actually playing with DEEP PURPLE and PETER FRAMPTON on a UK-arena tour as we speak). And Kiss were always shite anyway-they can bearly play their instuments. One or two good tracks-but they were all image. I say that they NEEDED the make-up. Without it, it never would have happened. In fact, the worst thing Kiss ever did was take their make-up off. They looked even more cringing without it. And besides that's just a theory. It's like when they make a movie sequal. It ain't gonna be as big as the first-but it's gonna be big-ish. Think of these bands;
    MOTORHEAD-No Sleep.../No. 1 album. Next album 'Iron Fist'. Worst album they've done-reached no. 4 in the charts, same as 1980's Ace Of Spades.
    MEAT LOAF- 'Bat Out Of Hell'-sold over 30 million/'Bat Out Of Hell 2:Back Into Hell' sold 10 million.
    AC/DC-'Back In Black' has sold 43 million/'For Those About To Rock' sold over 10 million.
    YES-'90125' sold 8 million/ 'Big Generator' has one of the most played singles in American AOR history ('Rhythm Of Love')

They are not AS successful-but they are certainly not failures. And I know these are not albums 1-3, but trhe point is, people tend to go by previous reputation. Incidently, The Quireboy's first was more than 10 years ago-I mean, they formed in 1985.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, but, chances are, if your second album bombs big time you might not get to make a third.

There are a load of bands who made classic debuts (and I don`t include The Darkness) who never lived up to the first albums success.

Think of Montrose, classic first album (yes, I know Hagar sings on it), constantly regarded as one of the greatest rock LPs but nothing more than a footnote in rock history.

I don`t think you can mention "Back in black" and "For those about to rock..." as AC/DC were already an internationally established act by 1980.

And as for "90125", it would be interesting to see if that album would have sold as many copies if the band weas called Cinema, as originally intended, instead of Yes, which was instigated by the recruitment of Jon Anderson.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Fair point about 90125-but it was the new Yes sound which contributed more than anything. Maybe the first few thousand were bought be older Yes fans-but the sound is too different for many of the-hards to appreciate. Most of the people who bought 90125 were American kids. When they would go to the show, and the band would play 'And You An I' or 'Ritual' or something, most of them would think 'What the hell is this'. Saying that, they probably would have heard 'Roundabout'-everybody else had.Check the 9012live video-and you'll see what I mean.

As for AC/DC-yes, they were established, but they were still playing theatres (see 'Let There Be Rock' video, recorded on the tour before Back In Black-Highway To Hell). It's a big jump to go from 4 or 5 million to 43 million.

And Montrose may have done more if Spammy didn't leave. Which, less face it, would have been great for everybody-because then we wouldn't have Van Hagar.

And if somebody had a huge debut- then if the record company drops them after the second bombs, then all the band has to do is blame it on the record company (not enough promotion etc), and someone will pick them up in the end-and they will make a 3rd album.

your mother's boyfriend
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-25-2012 @ 11:38 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by scottydabodi
    Darkness... yeah it's better than the fuckin' whiner-rock crap that's out there, but they still suck. The singer just can't fuckin' sing... Right on about that Tiny Tim crap, bring on Halford, MOTHERFUCKER!!
    Bravo !!!!!!!!

Food for thought
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2006 @ 04:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    The Darkness are a bit of a piss take really. They have to be with those vocals. I don't dislike them but they are hard to take seriously. They just seem to be making a parody of classic 70s rock groups.

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby As for AC/DC-yes, they were established, but they were still playing theatres (see 'Let There Be Rock' video, recorded on the tour before Back In Black-Highway To Hell). It's a big jump to go from 4 or 5 million to 43 million. [/B]
    Are you sure "Back in black" has sold 43 million.

That seems an a very high number.

I thought it was more like 15 million or something.

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
    Are you sure "Back in black" has sold 43 million.

That seems an a very high number.

I thought it was more like 15 million or something.
    It's the 3rd biggest selling album ever. Check the sleevenotes of the recent re-issue.

Have you noticed that you and I spend a lot of time arguing?

FUTUE TE IPSUM
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
    It's the 3rd biggest selling album ever. Check the sleevenotes of the recent re-issue.

Have you noticed that you and I spend a lot of time arguing?
    Don`t worry about it, dude.

If we all agreed about everything then there wouldn`t be much to talk about.

It would be like "Do you like The Darkness?"

Answer: "Yes, I love them".

End of conversation.

If you think this is argueing, you should try DLR7884.

He loves a good debate.

Thread Information