• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kcmusician
    Head Fluffer
    • Jul 2004

From melodicrock.com

VAN HALEN - NOVEMBER 19 DEFINITELY NOT THE END OF ANY ROAD:
    They say a week is a long time in politics, but it's even longer in the world of Van Halen.
    I have written a lot of Van Halen updates over the time running this site, but none brought me more pleasure than the November 20, 2003 report breaking the news that one of the truly great bands in rock n roll history would finally return to action now that the much loved Eddie Van Halen was over his battle with cancer and singer Sammy Hagar had returned to the fold.
    The band had a lot of work to do in order to mend past friendships and build bridges to the future. But the guys were well on the road to doing just that, with an 80 date North American tour the perfect foil for the boys to once again gel and show the world just what a great live performance is all about.
    I was disappointed hear about rumors of recent turmoil and when listening to Sammy Hagar's recent radio interview, presumed the worst like just about everyone else had.
    But not so!
    Overnight Sammy Hagar has printed a personal update on his website, which addresses recent whispers of unrest.
    And reports in from live shows this week highlight a warm chemistry between all on stage. Even reports from last night's show in Milwaukee have the band reaching a new level of enjoyment on stage and really soaking up the last few nights of this long tour.
    My main reason for this update comes after getting a phone call yesterday from the USA.
    It was from a source known to me who has been travelling with Van Halen on their current comeback tour. They wanted to set the record straight on a few things rumors which have been greatly exaggerated or formed for unknown reasons.
    The biggest issue that needs to be put straight is Eddie's drinking and the perception he had been drunk throughout the tour. That is just not correct I'm told.
    Eddie is in great shape I'm told and is having a blast on tour. Eddie has put in some amazing performances throughout the tour and one only has to check the 2004 Tour Forum at VHLinks.com to take in eyewitness accounts. He has been loose and relaxed and blowing fans away with his impromptu solos.

This has been a long tour, but my source says right now everyone is still having a blast and putting on the best shows possible, but they are all looking forward to a good rest after November 19. The 80 show tour has been the longest tour any of the guys have done in a decade.
    The guys will be taking a break and 2005 plans are yet to be worked out, but as far as my source says, the guys definitely want to do this again and they want to continue working as a band. That includes singer Sammy Hagar.

Sammy of course got rumors rolling with his interview on KSHE a week or so back. But in his own words posted overnight: "...all these crazy rumors flying around cyberspace are that. Plain and simple, I never said I was quitting Van Halen. There has been no discussion as to when or where we're going to pick this show up on the road and do it all over again cause quite honestly, 80 shows since June 11. Wow, I'm bushed ...HA!
    But baby, we are rockin'. The adrenalin in pumpin'. We're having a blast and you need to come check it out for yourself. If you ain't jacked when you get there, I guarantee you you'll be jacked when you leave."

My source says Sammy was quoted in some areas as saying Eddie has been drunk and that is just plain incorrect. And having listened the interview myself, I can back that up. Sammy, like everyone, is tired after a long tour and his comments from that interview have been skewered towards the negative. This line-up wants to continue working and looks forward to doing just that.
    I also spoke to a good friend of mine Steve Lukather, who of course, is best buddies with Eddie. I asked Steve about the rumors and how Ed was feeling. He commented "I spoke to Ed a few nights ago and he sounded great! No bad news from his mouth… As far as he's concerned its all good."
    We got talking about Ed's impact on music over the years, to which Steve added "If he never did anything after Van Halen 1 he would still go down as one of the greatest EVER! I also believe he still makes amazing music and is a close brother to me. So leave him the fuck alone!"

I know I speak for many out there, but I am just thrilled the band is back out there working and touring. There have been times over the past few years where we thought it might not happen. I started a guestbook for those wishing to send Eddie Van Halen get well messages and general words of encouragement when he faced his cancer scare.
    Entries continue to be added to the tribute page, (Located Here), as proof of the guitarists continued popularity.
    Let's hope a well earned rest is followed by an even bigger year in 2005, complete with a kick-ass new studio record.

More general music news later today.
    "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave
  • sambo
    Sniper
    • Jun 2004

Who knows what / whom to believe.. I have heard that much bullshit over the years..

Plain and simple... IMO...I don't like what Spam does to VH, they would be better off as instrumentals rather that hear the bloated one squeal and bleat....

It appears that Spam has one big fat foot in each camp.. hedging his bets....
    Go home the Earth is full....

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

"My source says Sammy was quoted in some areas as saying Eddie has been drunk and that is just plain incorrect."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
      Those CUNTS!!!

"Just feeling a bit under the weather....for the last30+ years!!!
      BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Comment

• Bill Lumbergh
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2004

80 shows is not exactly a HUGE amount of shows...........Kiss did close to 200 on their 96-97 reunion tour.

Comment

• Fabulous Shadow

More Van Halen DRAMA...More guessing Games...

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

O.K...I guess the comments made by BOTH Mike Anthony and Sam Hagar at the "Wabo" shows where possibly "taken out of context"?

I simply do not believe (nor care to believe) this horseshit.

What, if any evidence has anyone, who paying money and witnessing this ramshackle tour seen... of any coherency on Ed Van Halen's part?

Sloppy, indifferent, careless (and at times lost) playing?

VH shall continue?

As what....a band that performs at state fairs, livestock shows and car expos?

Enough, already...please.

Reo Speed Halen?

Dave...hello?

...craig
            Last edited by chefcraig; 11-05-2004, 02:07 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Halen High
              Commando
              • Jul 2004

Just a few days ago, Melodicrock's "past, proven sources" were telling him everything is "negative". Now this?

There's no way that much can change in a few days. This looks like Sammy doing some damage control now that his radio interview is all over the internet.

It's also ridiculous for Melodickrock to suggest Eddie's drinking problems have been exaggerated.

Spin?

Comment

• Panamark
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

We all heard Sammy's radio interview.

Unless Ed sucked some major Spammy butthole.
                This is the biggest spin job ever.

Love how the sheep immediately forget exactly
                what Sammy said, in a heartbeat..

Dumb fuckers....
                BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• kcmusician
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jul 2004

I heard the interview too, and even though he didn't flat out say that it's over, it's what everyone including me thought. I've decided to just stop guessing, and see what happens.... It would save me a head ach.

Shaun
                  "'Cause stayin' 'round here takes patience It's like a full time occupation"

- Diamond Dave

Comment

• Panamark
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Listen to the interview again.

Lets just pick one point at a time

-Sammy prefers his own band...

Please discuss.....
                    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
                    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

I love this fucking soap opera...and now I get back to listening to "fair warning"...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• CROWBAR
                        Commando
                        • Sep 2004

melodiCROCK = BULLSHIT!!

Comment

• bueno bob
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

Like sands through the hourglass...
                          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• rustoffa
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by CROWBAR
                            melodiCROCK = BULLSHIT!!
                            Whatd'ya mean?
                            Kiwi's in leather jackets don't lie man!

Comment

• Lou

What a load of bullshit. They've been wrong so many times, who cares what they say. IRRELEVANT.

Comment

Working...