Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2024 @ 02:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thumbs down one more from the bass player

from vhstrungout (yes I've been to the linx and found it there)

While many people view Van Halen as being a tale of two bands, it's safe to say that they are o_ne-of-a-kind.
    Yielding two eras of different, yet strikingly similar sounds, the band is now entering its fourth decade of existence with a reunited lineup that has seen the return of former frontman Sammy Hagar and a rediscovered zest from days of old.

Van Halen is back o_n the road for the first time since 1998 and will be playing a rare Montana show at the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse in Bozeman Sunday, November 14.

The road Van Halen has traveled has primarily featured the voices of David Lee Roth and Hagar, along with o_ne album that had former Extreme vocalist Gary Cherone behind the mike. There have been some bumpy moments along the way and sometimes bitter, sometimes amicable, the splits have been well publicized over the years.

Touring with Hagar for the first time in ten years, the group feels rejuvenated and ready to put the ugliness behind them.

"We're having a great time," said bassist Michael Anthony in a phone interview from a tour stop in Alberta. "You really don't realize just how much you miss it until you get out here and start playing again."

Van Halen began their journey back in 1978 with the release of their self-titled debut. The lineup included Roth, Anthony and the Van Halen brothers, Alex o_n drums and Eddie o_n guitar.

Over the next six years, the band amassed legions of fans behind six albums, culminating with "1984" and the hit songs "Jump," "Panama," and "Hot For Teacher."

What happened next was a shock to fans around the world, as the band parted ways with Roth and joined forces with Hagar. That marriage would last for the next ten years and produce four studio albums and hit tunes like "Poundcake" "Right Now" and "Why Can't This Be Love."

Hagar and the band parted ways after the release of 1995's "Balance" and again Van Halen was left without a voice.

"We're bigger than the biggest soap opera, this band," Anthony said with a laugh. "As many times as you probably hear this, it is like a marriage. You have your ups and downs and you just go with it. You just try to move forward and not stagnate at all."

"That's exactly what happened ever since Dave left the band and Sammy entered, then Sammy left the band. Unfortunately you always hit a couple roadblocks and a couple unforeseen things and you just deal with them as they come."

One unforeseen blemish in particular was the 1998 album "Van Halen III" and vocalist Cherone. The third frontman in the band's history wasn't welcomed by audiences and the group disbanded shortly after the album's release.

"You could say he was o_ne of those bumps in the road," Anthony said. "You know, a lot of the material that we had and even some of it that didn't end up o_n that CD was some really good material, I thought."

While fans weren't sure whether the band was broken up, or taking a break, years went by without a new album leading people to believe it was over.

Hagar went o_n a solo tour with Anthony's help, while the rest of the group remained dormant.

"When we were o_n this hiatus or break, or breakup or whatever, Eddie was dealing with a lot of his personal stuff and I went out ... and did some shows with Sammy o_n his tour that he did with Roth's band and we'd always talk about the band and all the good times and we can't let it end this way."

The reunited Van Halen came to be because of a simple phone call from Hagar to Alex Van Halen.

"I think eventually, Sammy just, he picked up the phone, he was in the L.A. area, and he called Alex," Anthony explained. "And purely not to do with anything musical, but to even just have some kind of closure, where we could at least shake hands and say 'hey, it was great while it happened.'

"And it turned into this."

Hagar has always been the best man for the job with numerous advantages over the other vocalists, according to Anthony.

"First off, being the charismatic person that he is," Anthony said of Hagar. "He's a great musician. When he first joined the band, being a guitar player himself, that is, he really understands music and he has a great voice and it's just a great combination. He actually helped take this band to a higher plateau musically when he joined the band."

Debating o_n how to approach the reunion, the band members decided to record three new songs and release a greatest hits album spanning Van Halen's entire history, minus Cherone. The final product is a double-CD called "The Best Of Both Worlds."

"We didn't want to go back in and do a full studio album, because Van Halen is a live band," Anthony said. "But we didn't want people to think 'well are they coming back out to grab the quick buck and do this reunion tour?'"

Picking the best of both singers wasn't an easy task, according to Anthony.

"It was just, obviously the hard choice of trying to pick which songs to try to do," he said. "Trying to get the o_nes that were more radio friendly and the other, kind of more underground Van Halen songs. But, I think we did a pretty good rounded job there."

The future of the band is still up in the air while the group figures out what direction they want to go in.

"We haven't actually set any really long term plans right now, 'cause we just wanted to get out and play and make sure that everything's comfortable out here, which it is," Anthony said. "We're having a great time. So, I'm sure o_nce the tour wraps up, we'll probably wait until then and then all get together and see what's going to happen next."

"We're taping every show and videoing every show, so you never know what could come out next year."

Montana Van Halen fans are getting a rare chance to see the band in Big Sky country, and Anthony is excited to hit a market they don't usually come to.

"I personally cannot remember doing a show in Montana," Anthony said. "I'm sure we must have played out there somewhere. (I'm) looking forward to it."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

oh yes...and the sheep over there are "dying for a live DVD" and "maybe we get LWAN part2"...

it's really hard going over there...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Re: one more from the bass player

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra

"First off, being the charismatic person that he is," Anthony said of Hagar. "He's a great musician. When he first joined the band, being a guitar player himself, that is, he really understands music and he has a great voice and it's just a great combination. He actually helped take this band to a higher plateau musically when he joined the band."

"We didn't want to go back in and do a full studio album, because Van Halen is a live band," Anthony said. "But we didn't want people to think 'well are they coming back out to grab the quick buck and do this reunion tour?'"
    These two quotes should be sufficient to show that Michael Anthony's wiring has been permanently crossed.

Read at your own risk.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Where Have Mikey's Bass Lines Gone?
    Original lyrics by the Kinks
    2004 Lyrics by David Lee Roth

When Mike's with Dave I never stopped to worry `bout the bass,
    But now with Sam he sings out loud, but never tries to play,
    Wondering if he's done it wrong,
    Will this depression last for long, wont you tell me,

Where have Mikey's Bass Lines gone?

Once we had an easy ride and Mikey felt the same,
    Ed was on our side and we had everything to gain,
    This could be like yesterday,
    But Al is ruining our happy days,

Now Mikey's lookin' back on all the things they used to do,
    Never had no slow songs and he always told the truth,
    Eddie used to use his little toys,
    Jackson didn't need no little boys, Wont you tell me,

Ow!

Yesterday was such an easy game for Mike to play,
    Ah but then lets face it, things are easier today,
    No bass lines to practise and rehearse,
    Just go on tour with Sam and bring your purse!

Last edited by DLR_EngineRoom; 11-15-2004 at 07:13 PM.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

nice

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Michael Anthony interview? YAWN.........

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-07-2021 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

NEWSFLASH: Mikey's a MORON. Thank you.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2007 @ 04:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by scottydabodi
    NEWSFLASH: Mikey's a MORON. Thank you.
    You intelligence cup runneth over.

Will you guys still be on this web site bashing everything Van Halen 10 years from now? Get a fucking BAAA bAAAAA life........

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2023 @ 06:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Fat Bastard speaks

Damn! Did Davy Baby fuck his girlfriend, too?

Oh, my bad. Davy Baby like grrls.........

LMMFAOBT

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,580 Times in 3,459 Posts

Do they actually still let this fuck attempt bass solos anymore? God he's offal.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Do they actually still let this fuck attempt bass solos anymore? God he's offal.

Hehehehe! It's the ass kissing perks he receives from them, I guess.

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-14-2011 @ 04:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks

You went fishing for news at the links?? I though you could only do three things there - Shearing, Hunting and Chopping. Sheep Hunting and Lamb Chopping that is.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Mike should just the fuck up already... I mean for crying out loud, he's had Ed's balls against his taint for 30 years already, and he STILL can't figure out that Dave was the key ingredient... These ungrateful dipshits should kiss Dave's ass every fucking day of their lives for what Dave has done to help make them superstars. Mike is a useless toad with Sam's mini-beef in his mouth, Ed's schlong in his ass, and Alex choking him with a dog collar... What Mike's gotta say is b.s. The same b.s. that the VanHasBeens, and Ronald McHagar have been whining about for 19 years. Dave led them to victory, and Hagar watched the empire crumble.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave led them to victory, and Hagar watched the empire crumble.

That's ANOTHER killer quote, Scotty! I gave you 5 already, too.

Pooh. We should be able to vote more than once, damn it!

LMMFAOBT

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I knew if I put my mind to it, I could say somethin' COOL!! HA HA!!

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Off course

I knew if I put my mind to it, I could say somethin' COOL!! HA HA!!

Hahaha! Don't ya just love those brain farts?

WOOO HOOOO! I just made it to 'Full Member Status'! What does that mean, anyway? That I'm becoming a more adept internet dweeb?

ROFLMMFAOBT

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,285 Times in 1,503 Posts

Blog Entries

"I think eventually, Sammy just, he picked up the phone, he was in the L.A. area, and he called Alex," Anthony explained. "And purely not to do with anything musical, but to even just have some kind of closure, where we could at least shake hands and say 'hey, it was great while it happened.'

"And it turned into this."

Hagar has always been the best man for the job with numerous advantages over the other vocalists, according to Anthony.

"We're taping every show and videoing every show, so you never know what could come out next year."
    Nice to know Anthony is just as delusional as Alex and Sammy. At least Eddie's in the bag most of time and might have an excuse.

Sammy called Alex in 2003 for the express reason of a cash grab. What had Hagar done since 1996 that gained him any attention? Gee, outside of the tour with Roth in 2002, I'm at a loss. Rather than sit around Cabo preaching to the converted, Hagar wisely called up AVH because it's the only move he had to play.

Charismatic? Great musician? We all knew Mikey had his nose up Sammy's ass. I guess it's up there so far that it'd break off if Sammy turned a corner too fast, although considering the size of Hagar's girth the idea of Sammy making any sudden movements isn't likely.

Not wanting to do a full length studio album because Van Halen is a live band? Yes, that explains it. What the hell do non-nostalgia oriented bands who aren't cashing in on memories usually do before a tour? Let me think..........oh yeah! They write and record more than three new songs to slap onto a greatest hits compilation. Considering the quality of what did come out, Mike and Co might as well have just spared us totally.

Why would anyone want to preserve this 2004 Hagar abortion for posterity? About the only thing I want to come out of Van Halen next year is the news that the band is retiring the name, or Roth is onboard for another shot. LWAN was Van Hagar at their peak, shallow as it was. From what I've seen and heard from this tour, that's one Hallmark moment best left to the dustbin.

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Switch84
    Hahaha! Don't ya just love those brain farts?

WOOO HOOOO! I just made it to 'Full Member Status'! What does that mean, anyway? That I'm becoming a more adept internet dweeb?

ROFLMMFAOBT
    I made Full Member Status(huh-huh-I said MEMBER) last week, and I have NO IDEA what that is... I think it's better than "Full On Cocktard", though!! Adept Internet Dweeb?? I guess me too!!! Haha!!!

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    06-10-2005 @ 03:34 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Get Spammy's dick out of yer mouth,you lying traitorous fat cunt.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

He's a simple litte fat munchkin who is easily manipulated.
    What else can you expect ?

Yes Ed, Yes Sam, Yes Alex.

You can just see the little fucker climbing up on a stool
    (so he can see himself in the mirror), and running through
    these dialogs every morning....

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-03-2009 @ 07:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Mike should just the fuck up already... I mean for crying out loud, he's had Ed's balls against his taint for 30 years already, and he STILL can't figure out that Dave was the key ingredient... These ungrateful dipshits should kiss Dave's ass every fucking day of their lives for what Dave has done to help make them superstars. Mike is a useless toad with Sam's mini-beef in his mouth, Ed's schlong in his ass, and Alex choking him with a dog collar... What Mike's gotta say is b.s. The same b.s. that the VanHasBeens, and Ronald McHagar have been whining about for 19 years. Dave led them to victory, and Hagar watched the empire crumble.

ROTFFLMFAO!!!!!!!!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

I like this interview better.

While many people view Van Halen as being a tale of one stellar band and one shit band, it's safe to say that they are one-of-a-kind. Yielding two eras of different, completely uncomparable sounds, the band is now entering its fourth decade of existence with a reunited lineup that has seen the return of shithead Sammy Hagar and a rediscovered zest for booze and lies.

Van Halen is back on the road for the first time since 1998 and will be playing a rare Montana show FOR A BUNCH OF FUCKIN' SHEEP at the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse in Bozeman Sunday, November 14.

The road Van Halen has traveled has primarily featured the voices of David Lee Roth and Hagar, along with one album that had former Extreme vocalist Gary Cherone behind the mike and on some guy's ass. There have been some bumpy moments along the way, such as the albums "5150" to "Best of Both Worlds", and sometimes bitter, sometimes amicable, the splits have been well publicized over the years.

Touring with Hagar for the first time in ten years, the group feels intoxicated on stupidity and ready to put the ugliness in full view of the American public.

"We're having a wretched time," said bassist Michael Anthony in a phone interview from a tour stop in Alberta. "You really don't realize just how much you miss lying to your fans until you get out here and start slinging the shit again."

Van Halen began their journey back in 1978 with the release of their self-titled debut. The lineup included THE ONE AND ONLY David Lee Roth, Anthony and the Van Halen brothers, Alex on drums and tyrannical behavior, Eddie on guitar and whatever booze and drugs were immediately at hand.

Over the next six years, the band amassed legions of fans behind six albums, culminating with "1984" and the hit songs "Jump," "Panama," and "Hot For Teacher."

What happened next was a shock to fans around the world, as the band fucked over Roth and joined forces with San Francisco's pride, Hagar. That gay marriage would last for the next ten years and produce four studio albums and shit tunes like "Poundcake" "Right Now" and "Why Can't This Be Love."

Hagar and the band parted ways after the release of 1995's "Balance", thank God, and again Van Halen was left without a voice.

"We're bigger than the biggest soap opera, this band," Anthony said with a laugh. "As many times as you probably hear this, it is like a gay marriage. You have your ups and downs, your ins and outs, your anal lube, your blowjobs, and you just go with it. You just try to move forward and not stagnate at all, otherwise you go limp...and Sammy doesn't like that."

"That's exactly what happened ever since Dave left the band and Sammy entered, then Sammy left the band - a real assfuck to the fans that just got more and more limp as time went on. Unfortunately you always hit a couple roadblocks and a couple unforeseen things and you just deal with them as they come. Let it be known - our fans are fucking idiots that will swallow anything we try to sell them."

One unforeseen blemish in particular was the 1998 album "Van Halen III" and vocalist Cherone. The third frontman in the band's history wasn't welcomed by audiences and the group disbanded shortly after the album's release.

"You could say he was one of those bumps in the ass," Anthony said. "You know, a lot of the material that we had and even some of it that didn't end up on that CD was some really awful material, everybody thought."

While fans weren't sure whether the band was broken up (although MANY, including the incomperable Bueno Bob were STRONGLY hoping so), years went by without a new album leading people to believe it was over.

Hagar went on a fucking dismal solo tour with Anthony's help, while the rest of the group remained drunk inside of 5150, playing XBox and ordering pizza.

"When we were on this hiatus or break, or breakup or whatever, Eddie was dealing with a lot of his personal stuff - which means, essentially, heavy drinking and tuba playing, and I went out ... and did some shows with Sammy on his tour that he did with Roth's band and we'd always talk about the band and all the hot times and we can't let it end this way - we had to fuck the fans at LEAST one more time."

The reunited Van Halen came to be because of a simple phone call from Hagar to Alex Van Halen.

"I think eventually, Sammy just, he picked up the phone, he was in the L.A. area, and he called Alex, looking for ass" Anthony explained. "And purely not to do with anything musical, but to even just have some kind of head, where we could at least shake or dicks off in each other's mouths and say 'hey, I blew all the fuck over you, guy!!'

"And it turned into this - now the fans get the messy facial."

Hagar has always been the best man for the job of fucking the fans and slacking off in the studio, with numerous advantages over the other vocalists, according to Anthony.

"First off, being the rump-master that he is," Anthony said of Hagar. "He's a great fuck. When he first joined the band, being a top himself, that is, he really understands B&D, S&M and he has a great talent for just tearing my ass apart. He actually helped take my orgasm to a higher plateau when he joined the fag pack."

Debating on how to approach the circle jerk, the band members decided to fuck in a huge orgy three times, then release a greatest hits album just like the one back in 1996 spanning Van Halen's entire history, minus Cherone and Roth pictures. The final product is a double-CD called "The Best Of Both Worlds."

"We didn't want to go back in and do a full studio album, because Van Halen is a band that believes in fucking it's fans, and Eddie's bullshit about having ten albums in the can is exactly that - BULLSHIT," Anthony said. "But we didn't want people to think 'well are they coming back out to grab the quick buck and do this reunion tour?' Unfortunately those guys over at THE ROTH ARMY FORUMS figured this shit out from jump street, but we'll always have the Links sheep that we can snow."

Picking the best of both singers wasn't an easy task, according to Anthony.

"It was just, obviously the hard choice of trying to pick which songs to try to do," he said. "Trying to get the ones that were more radio friendly with Sam and the other, REAL Van Halen songs that David did. I think we did a pretty shitty job there."

The future of the band is still up in the air while the group figures out what direction they want to go in.

"We haven't actually set any really long term plans right now, 'cause we just wanted to get out and grab a few bucks, circle jerk a while, suck each other off, you know, and make sure that everything's comfortable with that, which it is," Anthony said. "We're having a great time stealing money from the fans that come to see us, thinking they're getting a REAL Van Halen show. So, I'm sure once the tour wraps up, we'll probably wait until then and then all get together and suck each other off until we're drowing in a sea of worthlessness."

"We're taping every show and videoing every show, so you never know what could come out next year - I'm blatantly hinting that we're about to rip you RIGHT THE FUCK OFF with another live album that looks just like the last piece of shit live album did - get it?"

Montana Van Halen fans (as seen below) are getting a rare chance to see the band in Big Sky country, and Anthony is excited to hit a market they pretty much usually come to.

"I personally cannot remember doing a show in Montana," Anthony said. " but I'm sure we play for sheep on a regular basis. (I'm) looking forward to it."
    BAAAAAAA!!!!!

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah BB!! That would be the TRUTHFUL article...

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Yeah BB!! That would be the TRUTHFUL article...
    Amen, brother...

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I was sittin' thinkin' how LITTLE Mikey's opinion means to ANYONE... including Ed and Al... Mikey gets no respect, and I don't think that he deserves any, considering all he is is a glorified "yes man".

"Mike, bend over" --"Yes, man"
    "Mikey, toss my salad" --"Yes, man"
    "Mike, shut the fuck up... --"Yes, man"

Thread Information