"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

U2 review in Rolling Stone..

Not that this mag matters but ill be playin this one real soon!
    Review: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

Rolling Stone, November 17, 2004

Rob Sheffield

(Four stars)

Halfway through the excellent new U2 album, Bono announces, "I like the sound of my own voice." Well-said, lad; well-said. Ever since U2 started making noise in Dublin several hundred bloody Sundays ago, Bono has grooved to the sound of his own gargantuan rockness. Ego, shmego -- this is one rock-star madman who should never scale down his epic ambitions. As the old Zen proverb goes, you will find no reasonable men on the tops of great mountains, and U2's brilliance is their refusal to be reasonable. U2 were a drag in the 1990s, when they were trying to be cool, ironic hipsters. Feh! Nobody wants a skinny Santa, and for damn sure nobody wants a hipster Bono. We want him over the top, playing with unforgettable fire. We want him to sing in Latin or feed the world or play Jesus to the lepers in his head. We want him to be Bono. Nobody else is even remotely qualified.

U2 bring that old-school, wide-awake fervor to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The last time we heard from them, All That You Can't Leave Behind, U2 were auditioning for the job of the World's Biggest Rock & Roll Band. They trimmed the Euro-techno pomp, sped up the tempos and let the Edge define the songs with his revitalized guitar. Well, they got the job.

On Atomic Bomb, they're not auditioning anymore. This is grandiose music from grandiose men, sweatlessly confident in the execution of their duties. Hardly any of the eleven songs break the five-minute mark or stray from the punchy formula of All That You Can't Leave Behind. They've gotten over their midcareer anxiety about whether they're cool enough. Now, they just hand it to the Edge and let it rip.

During the course of Atomic Bomb, you will be urged to ponder death ("Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"), birth ("Original of the Species"), God ("Yahweh"), love ("A Man and a Woman"), war ("Love and Peace or Else") and peace ("City of Blinding Lights"), which barely gives you time to ponder whether the bassist has been listening to Interpol. "Vertigo" sets the pace, a thirty-second ad jingle blown up to three great minutes, with a riff nicked from Sonic Youth's "Dirty Boots." "City of Blinding Lights" begins with a long Edge guitar intro, building into a bittersweet lament. "Yahweh" continues a U2 tradition, the album-closing chitchat with the Lord. It's too long and too slow, but that's part of the tradition.

Like all U2 albums, Atomic Bomb has false steps, experimental bathroom breaks and moments when the lofty ambitions crash into the nearest wall. As America staggers punch-drunk into another four-year moment we can't get out of, it would be a real pleasure if the political tunes had any depth. (How long? How long must we sing this song?) But Bono scores a direct hit on "One Step Closer," an intimate ballad about his father's death from cancer in 2001; "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" is the song U2 did at the funeral. When Bono sings, "You're the reason why I have the operas in me," his grief and his grandiosity seem to come from the same place in his heart. It's a reminder that what makes U2 so big isn't really their clever ideas, or even their intelligence -- it's the warmth that all too few rock stars have any idea how to turn into music.

© Rolling Stone, 2004.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Shit don't stink
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-22-2024 @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Why can't they just review the album without a lame-ass slam on Bush?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Originally posted by High Life Man
    Why can't they just review the album without a lame-ass slam on Bush?
    But it was a great reference

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

U2 was great on Saturday Night Live. Vertigo contained no backing track, the Edge sang the backing "Hola" alone. I can't wait "'Till Tuesday."

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

On SNL, U2 also played a third song, the second being "Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own." They closed the show with "I Will Follow," with Bono going into the audience and jumping into some chick's lap at one point. They then offered up "one more" at which point my local coverage cut out. I don't watch the show week in and week out but it seems unusual for a band to play three or four songs in a night. This tour is going to rock!

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

they played more than two songs???? aw man, I got burned...thats what I get for trying to author a DVD and torrent it first!

http://everydayjones.com/BitTorrent/...ted=1#post9610

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    04-05-2016 @ 07:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    U2 was great on Saturday Night Live. Vertigo contained no backing track, the Edge sang the backing "Hola" alone. I can't wait "'Till Tuesday."
    aw, comeon...there was definately some 'help' behind Bono for the 'Hello, Hello' part...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe I was listening too hard to the Edge's "Hola" refrain.

Go Bruins!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-10-2008 @ 03:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

U2 did a hell of a job, and I don't normally get into them. Bono was no doubt making a statement about live performances....showing all the punk kids these days what live rock is truly about: a REAL, non-synced, non-rap, non-scratch KICK-ASS performance by someone with BALLS and the TALENT to match. NBC should've played that 4th song, hell Lorne should've said, "sure guys, play all night if you want" If they'd done that I would've stayed up to watch the commercials afterwards just to show my appreciation.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    09-09-2010 @ 01:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

U2 and Van Halen were my two favorites when I was in high school (Achtung Baby is one of the best albums I've ever heard).

I'm listening to the new U2 now in my office, and It hasn't grown on me yet. It sounds a lot like Unforgettable Fire-era U2 in my opinion. Good album, but definately not as rocking as Rolling Stone made it sound.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

It was lame of NBC to cut them off after "I Will Follow". It's 1:00 AM on Saturday Night..... what the fuck else are they gonna put on the air??

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by FORD
    It was lame of NBC to cut them off after "I Will Follow". It's 1:00 AM on Saturday Night..... what the fuck else are they gonna put on the air??
    Lame-ass infomercials hosts by some dude who eerily looks like John Waters! LOL

Thread Information