X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Breaking News-Dan Rather Will Leave Anchor Desk

CNN is reporting that Dan Rather will step down as CBS News anchorman on March 9 of 2005. Interestingly, he will remain on in some other capacity.
  • Figs
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jun 2004

Comment

• fanofdave
      Foot Soldier
      • Jan 2004

I can't understand why he's stepping down; I mean that
      quality piece of journalism on GW's national guard service
      was truly a professional masterpiece. thoroughly researched
      and verified. My buddy FORD and I are sorry to see this
      happen.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

guy's damn near 100 years old, i'm not surprised. and with Brokaw retiring in a couple days, it looks like CBS is not threatened by Brian Williams taking over the NBC gig. may as well make a change before Williams finds his audience.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Cathedral
          ROTH ARMY ELITE
          • Jan 2004

Good Riddence to the old biased Bastard!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Here's the complete story (cnn.com:

Rather to leave anchor desk in March
            Tuesday, November 23, 2004 Posted: 12:57 PM EST (1757 GMT)

Dan Rather has worked at CBS News for more than 40 years.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dan Rather, embattled anchor of the "CBS Evening News," announced Tuesday that he will step down in March, on the 24th anniversary of taking over the job from Walter Cronkite.

The veteran anchor has been under fire in recent months for his role in a "60 Minutes Wednesday" story that questioned President Bush's service in the National Guard, which turned out to be based on allegedly forged documents.

Rather, 73, said he will continue to work for CBS, as a correspondent for both editions of "60 Minutes."

He made no mention of the National Guard story in announcing the change, saying he had agreed with CBS executives last summer that after the November 2 election would be the right time to leave.

"I have always been and remain a `hard news' investigative reporter at heart," he said. "I now look forward to pouring my heart into that kind of reporting full time."

CBS did not mention a potential successor for Rather, who has been at CBS for more than four decades and made his name as a reporter covering the Nixon White House.

"He has been an eyewitness to the most important events for more than 40 years and played a crucial role in keeping the American public informed about those events and their larger significance," CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves said.

A report on what went wrong with the National Guard story, from a two-man independent investigative panel, is due imminently. Rather anchored the story and initially defended it when it was criticized.

Rather's announcement comes eight days before his NBC rival, Tom Brokaw, steps down as "Nightly News" anchor and is replaced by Brian Williams.

The triumvirate of Rather, Brokaw and ABC's Peter Jennings has ruled network news for more than two decades. Rather dominated ratings after taking over for Cronkite during the 1980s, but he was eclipsed first by Jennings and then by Brokaw. His evening news broadcast generally runs a distant third in the ratings each week.

His hard news style was mixed with a folksy Texan style that led him to rattle off homespun phrases on Election Night. But odd incidents dogged him: In 1987 he walked off the set, leaving CBS with dead air, to protest a decision to let a tennis match delay the news. And his claim that he was accosted on the street by a strange man saying, "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" led rock band R.E.M. to write a song with the same name.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              His evening news broadcast generally runs a distant third in the ratings each week.

which is why i thought the National Guard story was nothing...no one's watching him anyways!
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Another BCE victim.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Actually, I'd like to more about the "what's the frequency Kenneth" incident.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

CNN is reporting he is quiting before the official invesigation on the Bush National Guard documents that he forged and before he gets kicked to the curb.

See you later you old biased bastard.
                    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Figs
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                      Actually, I'd like to more about the "what's the frequency Kenneth" incident.
                      Yes! That was a classic story.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                        CNN is reporting he is quiting before the official invesigation on the Bush National Guard documents that he forged and before he gets kicked to the curb.

See you later you old biased bastard.
                        True, but he is 73 also, as Dan might say on-air, "I'm too old for this fuckin' shit!".

Comment

• McCarrens
                          Foot Soldier
                          • May 2004

Dan is gettinga little too old to be a major network player.

But still,I'll be sorry to see him go.

Oh, and Nickdfresh, are you going to laugh at Rather after he dies like you laugh at American soldiers who jump on grenades to sheild their brothers-in-arms?
                          "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by McCarrens
                            Dan is gettinga little too old to be a major network player.

But still,I'll be sorry to see him go.

Oh, and Nickdfresh, are you going to laugh at Rather after he dies like you laugh at American soldiers who jump on grenades to sheild their brothers-in-arms?
                            Q. Hey Mccarrens--Whats this sound? POP!

A. It's the sound of you pulling your head out of your ass and fucking finally learning to read!

And before you post--Stay off the crack!

Comment

• McCarrens
                              Foot Soldier
                              • May 2004

I don't want to talk to stupid sons of bitches that make jokes out of American casulties of war.
                              "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Comment

Working...