Thread: Breaking News-Dan Rather Will Leave Anchor Desk

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Breaking News-Dan Rather Will Leave Anchor Desk

CNN is reporting that Dan Rather will step down as CBS News anchorman on March 9 of 2005. Interestingly, he will remain on in some other capacity.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't understand why he's stepping down; I mean that
    quality piece of journalism on GW's national guard service
    was truly a professional masterpiece. thoroughly researched
    and verified. My buddy FORD and I are sorry to see this
    happen.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    guy's damn near 100 years old, i'm not surprised. and with Brokaw retiring in a couple days, it looks like CBS is not threatened by Brian Williams taking over the NBC gig. may as well make a change before Williams finds his audience.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Gulf Coaster
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good Riddence to the old biased Bastard!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the complete story (cnn.com:

Rather to leave anchor desk in March
    Tuesday, November 23, 2004 Posted: 12:57 PM EST (1757 GMT)

Dan Rather has worked at CBS News for more than 40 years.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dan Rather, embattled anchor of the "CBS Evening News," announced Tuesday that he will step down in March, on the 24th anniversary of taking over the job from Walter Cronkite.

The veteran anchor has been under fire in recent months for his role in a "60 Minutes Wednesday" story that questioned President Bush's service in the National Guard, which turned out to be based on allegedly forged documents.

Rather, 73, said he will continue to work for CBS, as a correspondent for both editions of "60 Minutes."

He made no mention of the National Guard story in announcing the change, saying he had agreed with CBS executives last summer that after the November 2 election would be the right time to leave.

"I have always been and remain a `hard news' investigative reporter at heart," he said. "I now look forward to pouring my heart into that kind of reporting full time."

CBS did not mention a potential successor for Rather, who has been at CBS for more than four decades and made his name as a reporter covering the Nixon White House.

"He has been an eyewitness to the most important events for more than 40 years and played a crucial role in keeping the American public informed about those events and their larger significance," CBS Chairman Leslie Moonves said.

A report on what went wrong with the National Guard story, from a two-man independent investigative panel, is due imminently. Rather anchored the story and initially defended it when it was criticized.

Rather's announcement comes eight days before his NBC rival, Tom Brokaw, steps down as "Nightly News" anchor and is replaced by Brian Williams.

The triumvirate of Rather, Brokaw and ABC's Peter Jennings has ruled network news for more than two decades. Rather dominated ratings after taking over for Cronkite during the 1980s, but he was eclipsed first by Jennings and then by Brokaw. His evening news broadcast generally runs a distant third in the ratings each week.

His hard news style was mixed with a folksy Texan style that led him to rattle off homespun phrases on Election Night. But odd incidents dogged him: In 1987 he walked off the set, leaving CBS with dead air, to protest a decision to let a tennis match delay the news. And his claim that he was accosted on the street by a strange man saying, "What's the frequency, Kenneth?" led rock band R.E.M. to write a song with the same name.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    His evening news broadcast generally runs a distant third in the ratings each week.

which is why i thought the National Guard story was nothing...no one's watching him anyways!

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Another BCE victim.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually, I'd like to more about the "what's the frequency Kenneth" incident.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    CNN is reporting he is quiting before the official invesigation on the Bush National Guard documents that he forged and before he gets kicked to the curb.

See you later you old biased bastard.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes! That was a classic story.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    CNN is reporting he is quiting before the official invesigation on the Bush National Guard documents that he forged and before he gets kicked to the curb.

See you later you old biased bastard.
    True, but he is 73 also, as Dan might say on-air, "I'm too old for this fuckin' shit!".

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dan is gettinga little too old to be a major network player.

But still,I'll be sorry to see him go.

Oh, and Nickdfresh, are you going to laugh at Rather after he dies like you laugh at American soldiers who jump on grenades to sheild their brothers-in-arms?
    "The security around the hotel was ridiculous. This chick was pounding and screaming at my door until four or five in the morning....finally I said fuck it, and let her out of the room"

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by McCarrens
    Dan is gettinga little too old to be a major network player.

But still,I'll be sorry to see him go.

Oh, and Nickdfresh, are you going to laugh at Rather after he dies like you laugh at American soldiers who jump on grenades to sheild their brothers-in-arms?
    Q. Hey Mccarrens--Whats this sound? POP!

A. It's the sound of you pulling your head out of your ass and fucking finally learning to read!

And before you post--Stay off the crack!

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't want to talk to stupid sons of bitches that make jokes out of American casulties of war.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't want to talk to stupid sons of bitches that make jokes out of American casulties of war.
    Fuck you dude! You start an argument with me you are not walking away. Go enlist you fucking douche coward--NOW TOUGH GUY! GO GET COMMISSIONED! COME ON BIG TALKER! VOLUNTEER FOR IRAQ! I SERVED MY TIME IN THE FIRST GULF WAR! NOW ITS YOUR TURN YOU FUCKING COWARD! YOU BETTER HOPE WE NEVER MEET!

11/13/07
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm never going to hear the end of this. Stupid Journalism professors.
    Roth Army Militia

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fuck you dude! You start an argument with me you are not walking away. Go enlist you fucking douche coward--NOW TOUGH GUY! GO GET COMMISSIONED! COME ON BIG TALKER! VOLUNTEER FOR IRAQ! I SERVED MY TIME IN THE FIRST GULF WAR! NOW ITS YOUR TURN YOU FUCKING COWARD! YOU BETTER HOPE WE NEVER MEET!
    Stop talking hsit to me. We both know you'd never talk this shit to anyone in real life.

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And if you really served I don't think you'd be joking about a dead American -- be he in the same branch of the service as you or not.

Your Own Personal Satan
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Ally_Kat
    I'm never going to hear the end of this. Stupid Journalism professors.
    He was forced out by modern-day McCarthyism!!!! Ahhhh!!!!!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And if you really served I don't think you'd be joking about a dead American -- be he in the same branch of the service as you or not.
    Keep talking, maybe sometime you'll actually get around to reading what I said instead of reading the posts that followed.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Going postal

Tread lightly, my friend. That hunter-killing nut in Wisconsin was a military veteran. Darling Nikki is a military veteran. I'M a military veteran. We are prone to snap, crackle, and POP A CAP IN YOUR ASS................

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!!!!!

Just kidding..........

(LMMFAOBT)
    "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
    Blackflag on DLR

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Going postal

Originally posted by Switch84
    Tread lightly, my friend. That hunter-killing nut in Wisconsin was a military veteran. Darling Nikki is a military veteran. I'M a military veteran. We are prone to snap, crackle, and POP A CAP IN YOUR ASS................

BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAAAAA!!!!!!!

Just kidding..........

(LMMFAOBT)
    I think your all too right about that Switch.

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I meant no offense to anyone in the military. I'm so sorry to you, Switch, and anyone else, people that disagree with included, if I led them to believe I was making fun of the military.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Heres's all my post's on the subject in order to clear up any misconceptions:

These are all of my posts, unaltered and unedited from the thread in question (except for spelling corrections). Feel free to find where I was joyfully gloating over this Marine’s combat death:

Post #1 So I guess some Mexican immigrant workers are good for something, eh? Did anyone complain that he took an "American's Job?" (irony for those literary impaired)

Post #2 (In response to B3's ridiculous accusations) Actually I'm not the one's that sick. It's just your need to research what "irony," means. Try google. Maybe sarcasm is a bit easier to understand.

Just pointing out "sick" latently racist double-standards I so often hear here!

Post #3 (Same as above) Oh yeah B3, I was really "cheering." I'm so happy a good man who happens to be a member of a significant group essential to our economy was killed shielding his "band of brothers" from death.

Then you wonder why I tell you to google off! Again, I-R-O-N-Y!

Post #4 (In response to what was- Originally posted by Cathedral )
    Nick, why do you act as if he was just another wet back fresh across the border?

Nice racist term! You really honored him with that one!

The man was an American (Marine) from the day he was granted citizenship. and quite frankly, I'm proud to know that he cared so much for this country and his countrymen that he layed down his life for them.

NO! He became a citizen after he joined! That's the point. If he had been a house painter, you'd have called for him to be deported!

He displayed honor that sadly doesn't exist in people like you, and many like you who are hell bent on tearing Bush down at the expense of those who have more balls than you do by volunteering their lives to a greater cause...Freedom.

Are you lecturing me from your computer terminal in some nice, safe, warm, and comfy location when foreign born, courageous men of Mexican decent fight your wars for you sunshine? When are you joining up to go fight the war you so vehemently believe in?
    *how was this racist or gloating over this Marine’s death?

Post #5
    Nickdfresh, your lack of respect for this fallen soldier sickens me.

--First of all FUCKTARD, he's not a soldier, he's a Marine. If you had a fucking clue and were actually qualified to draw conclusions you would know that pussy.

You know what sickens me, little rascist right-wing pussy fags like you runnin' your mouth when you have never served shit. How many years did you serve civilian? Sunshine patriot?

I'm a poor excuse for a human. I hope I die people laugh at my fallen corpse like they laugh at me in life. (Rewritten by me)

Post #6 (Response to Cathedral) What conspiracy? I'm just making a point.

And you questioned my support and wrongly (and knowingly) completely misrepresented what I said into some sort of perverse happiness over this kid dying! You want to play bullshit word games with me and imply shit? The FUCKING GLOVES come off then! Don't you fucking question my patriotism either!

I don't normally have a problem with you Cathedral and even genuinely like you and I don't know why you are hopping on this retarded band wagon. But most out there know that this is wrong

Post #7 Originally posted by McCarrens
    Boy that's funny. Changing up my quote like that. You should write comedy.

--Why not, you are changing what I am saying!

And did you just call me a "little rascist right-wing pussy fag"?

--Ahhh! So you can read!!

Let's see, that one little phrase cements that you hate women (pussy), people of small stature (small) and either people with right hands or a conservative values (right wing). I can't read your mind so I don't know which.

--Just because you don't like pussy, don't project it on to me! Mr. Politically correct! You're (pseudo)conservative in rhetoric, but having never served in the military, cowardly in deed!

And I don't how you got the idea that I am rascist. It wasn't my party drawing little rascist pictures of Condie Rice.
    --You mean you're a Republican like I am? But I don't think it was actually the Democratic "Party" doing the drawing, a misguided political cartoonist was.

And as for me not serving, well, my paralyzed right arm kinda stops me from doing that, but I make regualr donations to the military and have loads of family that have served.

--Doesn't stop you from making bullshit comments and talking out of your ass. I am truly sorry about the arm. But I can only see a paralyzed brain!

But still, all this logic I'm throwing at you is just wasting time.

--Logic or sophist bullshit? I suspect the latter. By the way, you can google sophist!

Everyone here still realizes after what you said about the fallen AMERICAN that you are a disgusting piece of shit.

--Recount for me word for word what I said FUCKTARD! And then comment SPECIFICALLY, without edit, on what I said that "makes me a piece of shit." In what way did I rejoice over this kids heroic death? Did I say, yeah, he died. NO! I said (roughly), "courageous Marine of Mexican decent" or something therein. Can you see why I might want to snap someones neck over implying anything other than that?

You want to play semantic games with it. Then I think you are a liar!

Who I doubt would say any of the shit he posts here to someone's face, while I talk just like write.

--I say it all the time to people's faces though I will say that I am more diplomatic as would be you

Post #8 (to Cathedral) I was merely comparing and contrasting people's admiration for this fallen warrior-hero with some of the shit that I heard about Mexican migrant workers in general, which I interpreted as racist, during DaveIsKing's recent anti-immigration thread (which was anti-Bush Administration policy) and people started putting words in my mouth, or jumping to conclusions without actually reading it, or thinking about what I was trying to say, which I think is blatantly unfair and wrong!

However, I could have explained my point of view without being a cavilier asshole which I am sometimes. My apologies for not explaining myself better and for being a hot-head, which I am! Sorry.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-23-2004 at 04:28 PM.

IN ROTH WE TRUST
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Heres's all my post's on the subject in order to clear up any misconceptions:

These are all of my posts, unaltered and unedited from the thread in question (except for spelling corrections). Feel free to find where I was joyfully gloating over this Marine’s combat death:

Post #1 So I guess some Mexican immigrant workers are good for something, eh? Did anyone complain that he took an "American's Job?" (irony for those literary impaired)

Post #2 (In response to B3's ridiculous accusations) Actually I'm not the one's that sick. It's just your need to research what "irony," means. Try google. Maybe sarcasm is a bit easier to understand.

Just pointing out "sick" latently racist double-standards I so often hear here!

Post #3 (Same as above) Oh yeah B3, I was really "cheering." I'm so happy a good man who happens to be a member of a significant group essential to our economy was killed shielding his "band of brothers" from death.

Then you wonder why I tell you to google off! Again, I-R-O-N-Y!

Post #4 (In response to what was- Originally posted by Cathedral )
    Nick, why do you act as if he was just another wet back fresh across the border?

Nice racist term! You really honored him with that one!

The man was an American (Marine) from the day he was granted citizenship. and quite frankly, I'm proud to know that he cared so much for this country and his countrymen that he layed down his life for them.

NO! He became a citizen after he joined! That's the point. If he had been a house painter, you'd have called for him to be deported!

He displayed honor that sadly doesn't exist in people like you, and many like you who are hell bent on tearing Bush down at the expense of those who have more balls than you do by volunteering their lives to a greater cause...Freedom.

Are you lecturing me from your computer terminal in some nice, safe, warm, and comfy location when foreign born, courageous men of Mexican decent fight your wars for you sunshine? When are you joining up to go fight the war you so vehemently believe in?
    *how was this racist or gloating over this Marine’s death?

Post #5 (You start in)
    Nickdfresh, your lack of respect for this fallen soldier sickens me.

--First of all FUCKTARD, he's not a soldier, he's a Marine. If you had a fucking clue and were actually qualified to draw conclusions you would know that pussy.

You know what sickens me, little rascist right-wing pussy fags like you runnin' your mouth when you have never served shit. How many years did you serve civilian? Sunshine patriot?

I'm a poor excuse for a human. I hope I die people laugh at my fallen corpse like they laugh at me in life.

Post #6 (Response to Cathedral) What conspiracy? I'm just making a point.

And you questioned my support and wrongly (and knowingly) completely misrepresented what I said into some sort of perverse happiness over this kid dying! You want to play bullshit word games with me and imply shit? The FUCKING GLOVES come off then! Don't you fucking question my patriotism either!

I don't normally have a problem with you Cathedral and even genuinely like you and I don't know why you are hopping on this retarded band wagon. But most out there know that this is wrong

Post #7 Originally posted by McCarrens
    Boy that's funny. Changing up my quote like that. You should write comedy.

--Why not, you are changing what I am saying!

And did you just call me a "little rascist right-wing pussy fag"?

--Ahhh! So you can read!!

Let's see, that one little phrase cements that you hate women (pussy), people of small stature (small) and either people with right hands or a conservative values (right wing). I can't read your mind so I don't know which.

--Just because you don't like pussy, don't project it on to me! Mr. Politically correct! You're (pseudo)conservative in rhetoric, but having never served in the military, cowardly in deed!

And I don't how you got the idea that I am rascist. It wasn't my party drawing little rascist pictures of Condie Rice.
    --You mean you're a Republican like I am? But I don't think it was actually the Democratic "Party" doing the drawing, a misguided political cartoonist was.

And as for me not serving, well, my paralyzed right arm kinda stops me from doing that, but I make regualr donations to the military and have loads of family that have served.

--Doesn't stop you from making bullshit comments and talking out of your ass. I am truly sorry about the arm. But I can only see a paralyzed brain!

But still, all this logic I'm throwing at you is just wasting time.

--Logic or sophist bullshit? I suspect the latter. By the way, you can google sophist!

Everyone here still realizes after what you said about the fallen AMERICAN that you are a disgusting piece of shit.

--Recount for me word for word what I said FUCKTARD! And then comment SPECIFICALLY, without edit, on what I said that "makes me a piece of shit." In what way did I rejoice over this kids heroic death? Did I say, yeah, he died. NO! I said (roughly), "courageous Marine of Mexican decent" or something therein. Can you see why I might want to snap someones neck over implying anything other than that?

You want to play semantic games with it. Then I think you are a liar!

Who I doubt would say any of the shit he posts here to someone's face, while I talk just like write.

--I say it all the time to people's faces though I will say that I am more diplomatic as would be you

Post #8 I was merely comparing and contrasting people's admiration for this fallen warrior-hero with some of the shit that I heard about Mexican migrant workers in general, which I interpreted as racist, during DaveIsKing's recent anti-immigration thread (which was anti-Bush Administration policy) and people started putting words in my mouth, or jumping to conclusions without actually reading it, or thinking about what I was trying to say, which I think is blatantly unfair and wrong!

However, I could have explained my point of view without being a cavilier asshole which I am sometimes. My apologies for not explaining myself better and for being a hot-head, which I am! Sorry.
    Oops. I wasn't paying attention. Tell me again what is going on.
    "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hate Sarge's Little Helper.

The Guided Ninja
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Finally, something Nickdfresh and I agree on...

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Finally, something Nickdfresh and I agree on...

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/showt...threadid=13708

Sarge's Little Helper kicks ass!

This is the first time I've ever brought him forth, but hopely it won't be the last...
    You are the without a doubt the dumbest person in this forum.
    gnaw on it

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Re: Going postal

I think your all too right about that Switch.
    :eek: I tried to be the comic relief, but my statement seems to be the sad, hard truth, Nikki. The very term, 'Going Postal' was coined from the post office shootings and the fact that many of them served in the Armed Forces prior to the USPO gig! Timothy McVeigh was a decorated Gulf War 1 vet! The DC sniper was an Army vet! It's just too many incidents for this to be a coincidence.

Damn. God help us!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Re: Re: Going postal

Originally posted by Switch84
    :eek: I tried to be the comic relief, but my statement seems to be the sad, hard truth, Nikki. The very term, 'Going Postal' was coined from the post office shootings and the fact that many of them served in the Armed Forces prior to the USPO gig! Timothy McVeigh was a decorated Gulf War 1 vet! The DC sniper was an Army vet! It's just too many incidents for this to be a coincidence.

Damn. God help us!
    Let's try not to bring that up.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I meant no offense to anyone in the military. I'm so sorry to you, Switch, and anyone else, people that disagree with included, if I led them to believe I was making fun of the military.

No harm, no foul!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm glad that old fart is finally retiring! They got too many geriatrics on that damn network.

DLR Army Mod Emeritus
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Exclamation

Originally posted by Nickdfresh:

I always kinda wondered that myself. Interestingly enough, the dude that jumped Gunga Dan is in jail for whacking an NBC stagehand several years later:

"Rather was confronted about 11 p.m. while walking on Park Avenue. When he tried to walk away, he was punched from behind and knocked to the ground. The attacker then chased Rather into a building and kicked him several times in the back. [...]

"The mystery may be solved: Dan Rather has identified the man he says beat him up on the street in 1986 while demanding to know 'Kenneth, what is the frequency?' The CBS anchorman said his assailant was William Tager, now in prison for killing an NBC stagehand outside the Today show in 1994. Tager was convinced the media had him under surveillance and were beaming hostile messages to him, and he demanded that Rather tell him the frequency being used, according to a forensic psychiatrist who examined Tager after the NBC shooting. Rather was told by the psychiatrist, Dr. Park Dietz, that Tager was almost certainly his attacker. The anchorman identified Tager from pictures supplied by the New York Daily News. 'There's no doubt in my mind that this is the person,' Rather said."

--January 1997, Associated Press.

Dan Rather singing backup with R.E.M.
    on the Late Show with David Letterman. Listen to the song's first minute in MP3: http://www.ratherbiased.com/audio/frequency.mp3

The street mugging of Rather was well reported in the national press. The rock band R.E.M. even made a song after the incident, "What's the Frequency, Kenneth?" Rather later appeared onstage with R.E.M. on CBS's The Late Show with David Letterman.

http://www.ratherbiased.com/bizarre.htm

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's fucked up.

DLR Army Mod Emeritus
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The incident, or Rather singing? I couldn't bring myself to click on the link...... :p

Proud Ford Owner
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's a tool!

Throw him overboard NOW!

Flash Bastard
    Originally posted by Viking
    The incident, or Rather singing? I couldn't bring myself to click on the link...... :p
    I couldn't either!

Rather is a fuckhead and I'd like to wish him some very specific harm right now, but I'm trying to be a nicer person.

I'll be back in 30 minutes after the whiskey kicks in.

JCOOK
    DANNETH WHAT IS THE FREQUENCY?

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Limbaugh said that Rather would be out a few months ago. This isn't even new news.

Thread Information