Thread: Detroit Sports Thread

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

It sucks, and with a 7-9 season, to me, they are still in need of a complete overhaul, top to bottom.

Thanks God for the Pistons, Wings, and Tigers because without them ...

Well ... it would suck.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Especially the Red Wings!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And Canadians love the Red Wings because it will be the closest they'll ever get to seeing the Stanley Cup, from right across the Detroit River!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by ALinChainz
    It sucks, and with a 7-9 season, to me, they are still in need of a complete overhaul, top to bottom.

Well ... it would suck.
    Have they fired Martz yet? That boob misused Calvin Johnson this year.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not yet, but its coming.

They need so much more than that, its mind-boggling.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

They need some defensive players that actually show up on most plays. Sean Rogers huffing and puffing on the sidelines after five or six plays. It's disgusting. If Belichick was his coach, his ass would have been thrown out on the street.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 09:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,517 Times in 2,422 Posts

Bump...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I would like it if the Lions at least tried to get a wild card spot, and miss that oppurtunity in the last month of the season. That's a hell of a lot better than 0-16!

Oh well, at least I have the Tigers to look forward to. But if you think I'm going over to Detroit to check a game out, HELL NO! I'll wait until the city unfucks itself, which will be a couple decades.

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

The streak is over! Lions pull one out of their ass against the Redskins today to win 19-14 and end a 19 game losing streak that began Dec 23, 2007. Way to go. A win is a win.

Lions beat Redskins 19-14 and end 19-game skid - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

It was an ugly win but a win none the less......

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

In the mean time, let's watch some hot drunk bitches go crazy :

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rT2XyIBMWUY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rT2XyIBMWUY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
    Last edited by BITEYOASS; 09-28-2009 at 03:25 PM.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

OK, I'm bringing this thread back up again since the Lions finally pulled their heads out of their asses!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

YES! The Lions are no longer dead last!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2018 @ 08:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    i REALLY thought they looked better than their record shows this year....
    in the end, however, the record counts....

Chiefs looked like crap today while the Lions were kicking ass.....

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They looked better than their record indicated LAST year...

two years of improvement...not too shabby...

Now if they had Al Davis as an owner...they'd fire their coach...

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

BTW, if any of you Viking fans have a problem with losing to the Lions then:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-_O_rjsrEI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y-_O_rjsrEI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2022 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,023 Posts

Great way to finish the season by the Lions. If we can get a cover corner or 2 and a dominant LT look out, either way we should compete for the North next year.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This thread needed a nice big bump. Stafford looked dynamite last night, I know it is only preseason but our first and second units both looked sharp. Love the mean streak in Suh, another game and another QB bitch slapped to the ground. It has been a long time coming but I think the Lions are finally back to being a legitimate NFL team. In years past a couple injuries suffered by our top rookies would have killed us before any games even began, now we actually have the depth to deal with it. Still a little scared by our corners but it sure is a nice time to be a Lions fan.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Good article from the Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/2011081...xt%7CFRONTPAGE

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh had a string of greatest hits in 2010. He nearly beheaded Jake Delhomme. He yanked Marion Barber to the ground by his dreadlocks. He shoved Jay Cutler off the field.

In Friday's exhibition opener, Suh kept the beatdowns coming. He took Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton to the ground so violently that Dalton's helmet flew almost as far as his incomplete pass.

But Suh is convinced that not one of his tackles has been dirty.

"There's always a fine line of dirtiness and a fine line of aggressiveness," he said Sunday. "I know to this point that in my own heart that I haven't crossed that line by any means."

Fellow defensive tackle Corey Williams agreed and could empathize with Suh's situation.

"It's really hard," Williams said, "because you work that hard to get to the quarterback, or you work that hard to get to the running back, you want to get them on the ground as hard as you can and as fast as you can. I know he ain't intentionally doing it. He's not trying to hurt him. He's just an aggressive player. He's just real physical."

Coach Jim Schwartz said it's a matter of defensive players using good judgment. But even he conceded that it isn't always an easy call for a player to make and cited a play that sparked a comeback for Tennessee when New York Giants defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka pulled off early on a tackle on Vince Young on a fourth-and-10 play.

"It's a fine line and you don't want to take aggressiveness away," Schwartz said. "But you also need to be aware, and we need to do a better job with that."

Suh said he would not have to worry about pulling off a tackle too early.

"I'm never going to put myself in that position," he said. "I'm never ever going to put myself in a position to where it's 'should I or should I not?' It's either you do it or you don't. If he has the ball, then play."

The question is who sees what, when do they see it and how do they interpret it. Suh may see a ball in a quarterback's hand. A referee may not. Fans watching high-definition replays in slow motion may see another thing.

"You can always have your opinion when it's slow motion," Suh said. "But when it's fast and 100 miles an hour, 200 miles an hour, you see what you see. And I saw he had the ball, so I took him to the ground."

Already, it looks as if the NFL is beginning to view Suh with a jaundiced eye. The league fined him twice last year, and he's likely to incur another fine for his play on Dalton.

"Yeah, they going to have it out for him now," Williams said with a laugh. "It's like the third (fine from a personal foul) he done got, so he's going to have to be careful leading up to the season.

"Like I told him, they going to be on him. I'm not telling him not to be physical, but he's going to have to be careful with it."

SUH ON STAGE: Suh got a charge out of introducing Kid Rock on Saturday night for his concert at Comerica Park.

"That was a lot of fun," Suh said. "I had a blast out there. Very lucky guy. I got to introduce him. Something I never had an opportunity to do before and speaking in front of a crowd like that.

"Like I said last night, 40,000 on a Saturday night in Detroit -- probably nothing better than that. I can see why he still does it. The thrill, the rush you get from being on that stage is amazing."

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Go Suh, keep killing all these pampered pussy QBs!
    Last edited by TFM_Dale; 08-15-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: double post

Puts the ass in Class
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Suh is just a big tough player. Nothing dirty about him, he just plays hard. He's a bad ass.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

NFL fines Ndamukong Suh $20K
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...innati-bengals

Ndamukong Suh has been fined a third time for roughing up three different quarterbacks in less than a year.

The Detroit Lions defensive tackle doesn't plan to change his game.

"Not by any means," he said Wednesday after he was fined $20,000 by the NFL for a hit on Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton last week. He didn't like it much, tweeting: "$20,000REALLY???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! #NFL #BIGFAIL"

The former Nebraska star said he plans to appeal the fine.

"Who wouldn't?" Suh asked.

The reigning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year grabbed Dalton and threw the rookie to the turf after he had gotten rid of the ball late in the first quarter of Friday's preseason game. Suh was flagged for unnecessary roughness.

"The league puts it on the defensive player to know when the ball is gone," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said.

Suh was fined twice last year for hits on Chicago's Jay Cutler during the regular season and Cleveland's Jake Delhomme in a preseason game.

Suh's checking account can absorb the latest hit. His five-year contract is worth $40 million guaranteed and as much as $68 million, though the NFL has increased the fine each time.

"Twenty grand? For the preseason? They're trying to send a message," teammate Nate Burleson said.

Suh was fined $7,500 for what he did to Delhomme, grabbing his face mask, twisting it and slamming him to the ground. He was docked $15,000 for shoving Cutler hard and high in the back from behind during a game last December.

Detroit's second exhibition game is Friday at Cleveland. Browns offensive tackle Joe Thomas said he and his teammates are mindful of what Suh can do.

"Everybody sees it and it's the back of your head, but it's not really something you worry about," Thomas said. "Most of our focus and attention is between the whistles and it seems he's getting a name for himself for what happens after the whistle."

Suh, though, likes the comparison that has been made between him and former NBA great Shaquille O'Neal, whose size and power made him simply stronger than opponents, some of whom fell or flopped after he touched them.

"Shaq had the same problem when he was in the NBA," Suh said. "He kept playing. NBA Hall of Famer soon to come, one of the greatest big men I've ever seen, so I hope to follow in his footsteps."

Suh has some sympathy for the officials, trying to determine if he's playing within the rules.

"I really feel like I put the refs in a tough situation because of my strength," he said.

But it's not going to stop his relentless pursuit of players with the ball?

"I'm not going to stop playing hard," he said. "I owe it to my fans, my teammates, the coaches. That's one of the reasons why football is football. It's physical contact, aggression that is made exciting."

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The fine on Suh is bullshit. Wish I had the money to pay it for him lol. Pretty soon is will be two hand touch only on QBs.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Lions have a chance this year to win a bunch of games. If they don't...and they suck...new coach time...

There's too much talent there for them not to win more than they lose...

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I agree Pojo, even with Calvin sitting out Stafford looked comfortable throwing to Burleson. He really seems to get it and supposedly his shoulders are as good as new. We shall see but I'm pretty excited about the season.

Tigers got a big sweep of the Indians, if Verlander could pitch every playoff game I would like our chances better but nice to have the Tigers padding the division lead instead of losing it.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Only 10 players remain from Lions' 0-16 team

When Cliff Avril joined the NFL, Tuesdays were off days and most of his Lions teammates kept it that way.

"Now your day off isn't really a day off, it's an extra day to get better," Avril said. "That's how we take it."

Avril is one of 10 players left from a roster that has seen significant turnover since Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz took over following a winless 2008.

The 10 players remaining on the Lions roster from the team Martin Mayhew and Jim Schwartz inherited after the 2008 season are: Cliff Avril, Jeff Backus, Gosder Cherilus, Andre Fluellen, Jason Hanson, Calvin Johnson, Don Muhlbach, Stephen Peterman, Dominic Raiola and Drew Stanton.

The upheaval was necessary -- no team had ever gone 0-16 -- and part of a deliberate plan to build the Lions into playoff contenders.

Along with high first-round picks Matthew Stafford, Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley, who'll miss Sunday's opener against Tampa Bay with a foot injury, the Lions have stocked up on locker-room leaders still playing at a high level like Kyle Vanden Bosch and Stephen Tulloch.

"I really don't want to go there and talk too much about what we've built because it really doesn't matter what you build, it's how many games you win and the production of that," Schwartz said. "Are we in a better position than we were two years ago? Sure. Have we taken some big steps in personnel on this team? Yeah, we sure have. None of that means a thing if we don't do it on the field. That's my message to the team, and that'll continue to be my message."

http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...ions-0-16-team

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions' Nick Fairley (foot) to miss season opener

Rookie first-round pick Nick Fairley won't be ready for the Detroit Lions' season opener Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Fairley, the 13th overall pick out of Auburn, has not practiced since having surgery on his fractured left foot early last month. He’s no longer in a walking boot, but Lions coach Jim Schwartz said today both Fairley and offensive tackle Jason Fox “are still working their way back.”

“Both guys still have a little longer way to go,” Schwartz said. “Out of the boot, but not out of the woods. They still have a lot to do, but they’re doing more and more every day.”

Fox also suffered a foot injury during training camp, and like Fairley missed all four preseason games.

Initially, Fairley was expected to miss four to six weeks following surgery, but the Lions have been cautious bringing him back with plenty of depth on the defensive line. Ndamukong Suh and Corey Williams are entrenched as the starting tackles, backup Sammie Hill had a solid 2010, and Andre Fluellen is back from the broken hand that sidelined him most of training camp.

Defensive line coach Kris Kocurek said last month that Fairley will have some catching up to do when he returns, but still should be an impact player.

“When we drafted him, we looked at a player that fit our profile and fit what we wanted as a d-line, so you’re probably going to see a lot of the same things you’re seeing out of our other d-tackles,” Kocurek said. “The way they play, you’re going to see a lot of that in Fairley. So we’re really excited to get him back.”

Cornerback Alphonso Smith practiced today for the first time since fracturing his foot in off-season workouts, but Schwartz indicated Smith likely won’t play against the Buccaneers, either.

“He’s not game-ready yet,” Schwartz said. “It’s still going to be a while for him, but it’s going to be sooner than six weeks, so we wanted to get him in the swing. Took some individual, took most of 7-on-7, took a few reps in team, but he’s still got a ways to go to get back in the swing of things.”

The Lions decided to activate Smith from the non-football injury list rather than put him on the reserve/NFI list and lose his services for at least the first six weeks of the regular season.

Schwartz also declined today to specify why offensive tackle Johnny Culbreath was placed on injured reserve, saying only, “He had a medical issue.” Culbreath left practice last Monday with medical personnel in tow and did not play in Thursday’s preseason finale against the Buffalo Bills. He was on the field for the start of today’s practice, but cannot take part in practice this year.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...-season-opener

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Breaking down the Lions offense

http://www.freep.com/article/2011090...yssey=nav|head

Free Press sports writer Dave Birkett breaks down the Lions defense by position.

Defensive line

Tackle Ndamukong Suh has played one NFL season but already has established himself as one of the most disruptive players in the game. Suh plays with superhuman strength, and he's surrounded by probably the deepest defensive line in the league. Tackle Corey Williams had a Pro Bowl-caliber season last year, though few voters took notice, and rookie first-round pick Nick Fairley, also a tackle, will be a pass-rush specialist whenever he returns from a fractured foot.

At defensive end, Cliff Avril has seen his sacks steadily rise since entering the NFL three seasons ago. He's in a contract year and should hit double digits if he stays healthy. End Kyle Vanden Bosch still plays with a nonstop motor, but neck surgery ended his season last year, and he missed two exhibition games this year with a shoulder injury. Lawrence Jackson is essentially a third starter at end.

Linebackers

The Lions overhauled a linebacking corps in need of serious upgrades at the start of free agency, signing middle linebacker Stephen Tulloch and outside linebacker Justin Durant and moving DeAndre Levy to the outside. While the talent is noticeably improved, the results were inconsistent in a getting-to-know-you exhibition season.

Still, the Lions should do better than the 4.5 yards per carry they allowed last year, and all three starters can play in nickel situations (or really anywhere in the unit). Backup Bobby Carpenter will play in some short-yardage packages and could push for time on the outside after a strong exhibition season.

Defensive backs

If the Lions get above-average play from their starting secondary, they could have one of the top defenses in the NFL. A lot falls on the shoulders of cornerbacks Eric Wright and Chris Houston. Wright is trying to revive his career after a down season in Cleveland. Houston is coming off his best year, but he needs to contribute more than one interception. Brandon McDonald is the nickel corner for now, and Alphonso Smith (five INTs last year) will be back in the rotation after his foot heals.

At safety, Amari Spievey and Louis Delmas have plenty of talent, but consistency is key. Delmas, in his third season, is free of the groin troubles that bothered him last year. He's a playmaker but sometimes can be too aggressive. Dependable Erik Coleman, who came over from Atlanta, is the primary backup.

Special teams

They were staples for so long: kicker Jason Hanson, punter Nick Harris and long snapper Don Muhlbach. Now they're down to two. The Lions cut Harris last week and gave the punting job to undrafted rookie Ryan Donahue. Donahue has a big leg, but punting on NFL Sundays is a different animal.

Hanson is back to full strength and as dependable as ever after missing half of last season with a knee injury. The Lions also have a fearless return man in Stefan Logan and some of the best coverage units in the game, led by Isaiah Ekejiuba, John Wendling and Rashied Davis.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Assuming no major injuries, the Lions should be at least 8-8 this year. Just in the conference they should take both Chicago and Minnesota games and possibly split with Green Bay (every 8 yrs or so they play Green Bay tough). That's 4-5 just in conference. Tampa, KC, Carolina, and Oakland should also give them a chance to win... 9-7 best case scenario.

I'm always pulling for the Detroit Lions/Tigers/Pistons having used to live in Detroit during the Millen and Kilpatrick administrations.

That is all.

Icon©®™

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well, no loses yet for the Lions this season and the Tigers are on a nine game winning streak.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

One more win and the Tigers get the AL Central.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Tigers missed the chance to clinch last night but had one hell of a run, just need to get back on track and get back on another streak heading into the playoffs. Lions have a great shot at being 2-0, KC looked like crap last week and the Lions looked pretty good, should only be better this week.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

2011 AL Central Division Champions!!!!

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

With Verlander we have a shot at eating anybody, just need Scherzer and Fister to be solid, I'm excited to see how the Tigers can hang in the playoffs, alot of talent on this team.

The true JBC
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,690 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    2011 AL Central Division Champions!!!!

Hell yes

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2021 @ 10:37 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Please consider signing this... I did

http://www.change.org/petitions/nick...ame-in-detroit

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    Please consider signing this... I did

http://www.change.org/petitions/nick...ame-in-detroit
    I signed it, can't believe they got those fuck heads to play when you consider all the musical talent from the state of Michigan, hell, Kiss doing some Detroit Rock City would be better then these assholes, and they are 100 years old.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALinChainz View Post

Well ... it would suck.
    Wish you could see the Lions now bro, when I clicked on this thread I was happy to see this post, first time I noticed it.

Thread Information