04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

NOTEBOOK: Lions' outlook seems healthy

Young players give them hope for '05
    January 3, 2005

BY CURT SYLVESTER
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Twenty minutes -- that's all it took. Maybe not even that long.

By the time the Lions got back to the locker room from their 24-19 loss to Tennessee in the season finale, coach Steve Mariucci had switched their focus from the failures of 2004 to the possibilities of 2005.

"There's all kinds of hope for next year," Mariucci said. "I can't wait to start next year. I wish that it would start tomorrow.

"There's so much more out there for these guys. They just really skimmed the surface. I'm looking at our youngsters -- my first and second years of drafting. They have played so much football and we're going to benefit from that.

"I can't wait till they become experienced players, because then they'll be consistent. They'll make plays all over the place. They'll be able to take charge of a game rather than get their feet wet.

"The hope is there, we're anxious to get there. There's going to be a lot of work to do -- yes -- but when we get it done, it'll be a lot of fun."

Although the Lions' 6-10 record was a step up from last year's 5-11, no one was selling it as the kind of improvement they needed or wanted to make a meaningful step toward competing for an NFC North title.

What Mariucci was selling -- and his players apparently were buying -- was the idea that all of this year's young players have the potential to take the team to bigger and better things.

"Even though we didn't make the playoffs and we didn't finish the way we wanted to, it's still one more win than we had last year," cornerback Dré Bly said. "I feel like with Coach coming in, we can expect a fast turnaround.

"I think with guys coming back healthy next year -- having a healthy Charles Rogers and K.J. (Kevin Jones) from the first game, having a healthy Roy Williams for 16 games -- we'll be a better football team.

"I'm going to just look forward to next year and really dedicate myself this off-season to try to get some of the guys going, to compete and get better. Hopefully, we can learn from our mistakes because next year will be big for this organization."
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions end season in familiar fashion

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
    January 4, 2005

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions did in 2004 what they often have during their decades of futility since winning the 1957 NFL title.

Detroit teased its fans with some wins they didn't expect, and a handful of players showed flashes of promise for the future.

But by the end of the season, the Lions' record (6-10) was lackluster and their victories were overshadowed by several near-misses and a few blowouts.

``I look at the whole year as a huge, missed opportunity,'' Lions CEO Matt Millen said. ``We started OK, but finished really poorly. We got complacent, lost our sense of urgency and that led to losing to teams with less talent, and that's just an awful feeling.''

When the Lions were 4-2 in October, they were praised for turning it around after winning an NFL-low 10 games over the previous three seasons. When they lost eight of their last 10, they were regarded as the lowly Lions again.

``Even though we got off to a good start, we were winning without playing good football,'' Jeff Backus said. ``Then, we lost our sense of urgency and that really came back to bite us.''

Minnesota and St. Louis are both in the NFC playoffs despite 8-8 records. That's what really bothers the Lions, who wasted big leads in some games and missed opportunities to win others.

``It's a tough thing to handle,'' Joey Harrington said. ``The only thing you can do is use it for motivation for next year. We've gotten to that point where we're close. When we come back, it's going to be time to win.''

Harrington set career highs with 19 touchdowns, 3,047 yards and a 56.0 completion percentage and threw a career-low 12 interceptions. In his third NFL season, he was booed often at home and challenged regularly by coach Steve Mariucci.

``What he has developed is some thick skin,'' Mariucci said. ``I'm hard on Joey and he likes it that way. He's making progress.''

The Lions were determined to surround Harrington with help this season and they appeared to have succeeded with two first-round picks: receiver Roy Williams and running back Kevin Jones.

Williams had 54 receptions for 817 yards and eight TDs, all records for a Detroit rookie. With 1,133 yards rushing, Jones reached a milestone just Barry Sanders and Billy Sims did as Lions rookies. After an ankle injury slowed him early in the season, Jones ran for an NFL-high 825 yards over the final seven games.

When Detroit was struggling to score points, Eddie Drummond helped out with two TDs on punt returns and two on kickoff returns. Drummond was picked to play in the Pro Bowl, but likely will miss the game because of a shoulder injury.

On the other side of the ball, defensive tackle Shaun Rogers solidified himself as a star -- earning his first Pro Bowl invitation -- and was rewarded with a six-year contract last week.

``I'm glad we got Shaun's deal done because we can really build around him,'' Millen said.

With Rogers clogging up the middle and James Hall getting a career-high 11 1/2 sacks despite playing all year with a broken thumb, Detroit's defensive line was among the league's best.

Rookie linebacker Teddy Lehman had a solid season, playing a team-high 1,225 plays, and cornerback Dre' Bly made four interceptions, earning a second straight trip to the Pro Bowl.

``I've got a thousand reasons to be optimistic,'' Mariucci said. ``Yes, the record is disappointing, we all agree on that. What is encouraging as we go forward, and I have to keep reminding myself, half of our starters and half of this football team are players that are on their first contract, which means they're young.''

Through free agency and the draft, starting with the 10th overall pick, the Lions hope to add at least one safety, at least one quarterback, a receiver, a guard and a defensive lineman.

They would like to re-sign some of their free agents, but it might be difficult to bring back offensive tackle Stockar McDougle, who is unrestricted and could draw interest elsewhere.

Some have wondered how long Millen, who just completed his fourth season, will stick around to run the Lions when he could be making stress-free millions again as a TV analyst.

``I'm going to finish what I started,'' Millen said. ``And by finish, I mean win a Super Bowl. It will not be enough for me to just win more games, because everybody who does not win the Super Bowl is a failure in this league.''

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Jones is named offensive rookie of December

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

The Detroit Lions running back Kevin Jones is NFL offensive rookie of the month for December. He rushed for 626 yards and averaged 5.1 a carry in the Lions' final five games. He led all rookie backs with 1,133 yards this season.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

3 Lions aides interview to run offense

BY CURT SYLVESTER, FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Coach Steve Mariucci has interviewed three Lions assistants -- running backs coach Tom Rathman, line coach Pat Morris and quarterbacks coach Greg Olson -- but apparently is not close to naming an offensive coordinator.

"They have all expressed an interest if I want to go in that direction," Mariucci said Thursday. "They would be ready, willing and able to do that."

Although Mariucci thinks highly of all three, he appears more likely to keep them as position coaches and hire a coordinator from outside the organization.

"I wouldn't want to take any one of those three away from their duties now," he said. "They're very good at what they do.

The new coordinator will replace Sherm Lewis, who retired.

"Sherm was a walk-around coordinator, so I could fill it with a walk-around coordinator," Mariucci said, referring to a coach who moves from one offensive group to another during practice. "I'm going to entertain the possibilities there and if we can't find the right person, I can always go in-house."

Mariucci said he expects to interview a number of candidates, including San Francisco offensive coordinator Ted Tollner.

In all likelihood, the coordinator will be familiar with the West Coast offense and will play a role in the revisions Mariucci has in mind for the 2005 Lions and quarterback Joey Harrington.

"We are giving Joey -- and I'm trying to prove it by the way we've been with him -- every opportunity to develop into our quarterback," Mariucci said. "I can't guarantee he's our quarterback for the next 12 years, but everything we have been doing is in keeping with developing him for the future, making progress every way we can.

"Some of it's about his skills, some of it's about surrounding him with people, some of it is how do we best use him -- what does he do best, what should we stay away from?"

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lion Bytes: Free-Agent Update, Draft & More

Scout.com - Scout.com

January 13, 2005 at 10:44pm ET

List of Lions' free-agents heading into the off-season, draft update and more.

FREE-AGENT UPDATE:
    --TE Stephen Alexander (UFA. Too many drops but upgraded the position in 2004, likely to be re-signed.)
    --DT Marcus Bell (UFA. Made a strong, positive impact on D-line rotation and will be re-signed.)
    --CB Chris Cash (RFA. Didn't have a good year but will probably be tendered at minimum amount.)
    --KR Eddie Drummond (RFA. A Pro Bowler who's special when he's healthy. Lions cannot afford to lose him.)
    --S Vernon Fox (RFA. Proved he can help on special teams, likely to be back.)
    --CB Andre Goodman (RFA. Too many lapses in coverage leave his future in doubt.)
    --G Tyrone Hopson (RFA. Surprised with good showing in final game, might have earned a contract for 2005.)
    --RT Stockar McDougle (UFA. The Lions want him back but won't break the bank to keep him because he seldom plays up to his athletic potential.)
    --QB Mike McMahon (UFA. Mariucci likes him, but McMahon wants to compete for a starting job. That's not likely in Detroit.)
    --QB Rick Mirer (UFA. No. 3 QB for the past season. Didn't do anything wrong but not likely to be re-signed.)
    --DT Kelvin Pritchett (UFA. After 14 NFL seasons, it might be time to call it a career.)
    --LB Wali Rainer (UFA. A valuable performer on special teams when he plays under control. Expected to be re-signed.)
    --C Dominic Raiola (UFA. O-line coach Pat Morris puts him in situations he handles best -- pulling, blocking on the move. Will be re-signed.)
    --OT Victor Rogers (RFA. Very little experience but could be insurance in case they don't bring McDougle back.)
    --CB Dainon Sidney (UFA. Spent the season on IR, not likely to be back for 2005.)
    --WR Tai Streets (UFA. A disappointing season, not much of a factor in Lions offense. Leaves his career with the Lions in doubt.)
    --WR Reggie Swinton (UFA. Inconsistent as a receiver but valuable as backup to frequently injured KR/PR Eddie Drummond.)
    --FB Stephen Trejo (UFA. Cut once last summer, came back to play on special teams. Probably will not be re-signed.)
    --SS Bracy Walker (UFA. Adequate backup in the secondary but best as a special teamer. Lions want him back.)

FEELING A DRAFT: Unlike a couple of years ago, when they needed help at virtually every position, the Lions can be selective in both the draft and free agency. They'll get a left guard, a safety and then look for a promising TE. A speed pass rusher would interest them because Kalimba Edwards , a second-round pick in 2002, still hasn't panned out.

MEDICAL WATCH: TE Stephen Alexander (ankle), WR Roy Williams (ankle) and DE Jared DeVries (sports hernia) all are candidates for surgeries early in the offseason. None appears to be a serious problem, however.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

McCarthy leading candidate for Lions OC

Mike Fowler - Scout.com

January 20, 2005 at 2:27pm ET

The leader as they make the clubhouse turn for the home stretch appears to be Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy in the same role with Detroit.

ALLEN PARK - The leader as they make the clubhouse turn for the home stretch appears to be Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy in the same role with Detroit.

With Scott Linehan accepting a three-year deal to run Nick Saban's offense in Miami, McCarthy appears to be the odds-on favorite over former 49ers coordinator Ted Tollner .

The Lions need to replace the retired Sherman Lewis who occupied the position under Mariucci. The team began giving some play calling responsibility to quarterbacks coach Greg Olson, a move that didn't sit well with Lewis.

McCarthy, 41, would be expected to help tailor the Lions playbook to accomodate the strengths of third-year quarterback Joey Harrington . Harrington appears to favor a more vertical passing attack rather than the dink and dunk approach the Lions used most of the season.

Lions head coach Steve Mariucci wants the offensive coordinator to have significant input into reworking the team's version of the West Coast offense and is delaying much of the work on it until a coordinator is in place.

If he is in fact their guy, the Lions may need to move quickly as the Baltimore Ravens and the Minnesota Vikings are interested in talking to McCarthy.

Lions running backs coach Tom Rathman is among new 49ers head coach Mike Nolan's candidates for the San Francisco offensive coordinator job. Saints head coach Jim Haslett has been under a mandate from owner Tom Benson to re-work his coaching staff after a disappointing season in New Orleans. He has given permission for McCarthy to interview with other interested teams and has fired three assistants this offseason.

Detroit is still considering former 49ers offensive coordinator Ted Tollner, who was hired by Mariucci before he was let go in San Francisco. Tollner's offense was criticized for being too conservative, but he was working with an inexperienced quarterback and not much talent in his receiving corps. Mariucci is expected to talk with Tollner again this week.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

NFL ROUNDUP: Lions ponder Trestman as offensive coordinator

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

Marc Trestman, who spent a year with the Lions as the quarterbacks coach for Bobby Ross in 1997, is one of the candidates being considered by Steve Mariucci for the team's offensive coordinator job.

Trestman, 49, is a 17-year NFL coaching veteran and is highly regarded as one of the bright offensive minds, skilled in creating and running an offense. He was quarterbacks coach for the Miami Dolphins last season.

Although he has never been an NFL head coach, he has been in demand since taking his first NFL staff position with Minnesota in 1985. Since then he has held positions with seven more teams, including the San Francisco 49ers, where he learned the West Coast offense in 1995-96.

Trestman is one of at least three coaches interviewed by Mariucci this week for the coordinator's job left vacant by Sherman Lewis' retirement. The others were offensive coordinators Ted Tollner of San Francisco and Mike McCarthy of New Orleans.

Free Press Story

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions settle on Tollner

Steve Mariucci has settled on Ted Tollner as the Lions' offensive coordinator, according to persons familiar with the situation at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala.

Tollner, who was the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator this past season, was one of six assistants interviewed by the Lions' head coach in his search for a replacement for Sherman Lewis, who announced his retirement at the end of the 2004 season.

Mariucci also interviewed New Orleans Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and Miami quarterbacks coach Marc Trestman, in addition to three Lions assistants -- running backs coach Tom Rathman, quarterbacks coach Greg Olson and offensive line coach Pat Morris.

Sources said Mariucci informed the coordinator candidates of his decision this week during Senior Bowl practices, where most NFL scouts and coaches are watching top draft prospects work out. Lions spokesmen could not confirm the report Tuesday night.

Tollner, 64, had head coaching stints at the College of San Mateo, Southern California, and San Diego State before moving to the NFL as an assistant coach with Buffalo, San Diego and the L.A. Rams.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 01-26-2005 at 01:36 PM.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions: Bailey on the mend

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com
    Friday, January 28, 2005

News
    Lions' linebacker Boss Bailey will not need further surgery to repair the right knee injury he suffered prior to last season. Bailey missed the entire 2004 campaign, but is on pace to make a full recovery, according to the Detroit News. Bailey recorded 88 tackles during his 2003 rookie season.

Views
    Bailey is expected to regain his starting strongside linebacker job. The Lions want to find a spot for Teddy Lehman, who filled in for Bailey last year. Lehman recorded 75 tackles last season and might move to the middle or weakside position.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lewand denies report that he's headed to Seattle

Thursday, February 03, 2005

ALLEN PARK -- Contrary to a published report, Detroit Lions executive vice president and chief operating officer Tom Lewand is not considering leaving the Lions to become the president of the Seattle Seahawks.

"I haven't talked to anybody in Seattle," said Lewand, adding that he has no plans to do so. "No, I'm very happy where I am and we have a lot of business to take care of here. I want to win the Super Bowl right here in Detroit."

The Tacoma News Tribune reported that Lewand was one of four candidates for the Seahawks' vacant position.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/i...0.xml#continue

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions evaluating defense for personnel changes

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- While most of the attention has been focused on the changes -- or lack of changes -- coming in the Detroit Lions' offense in the off-season, there could also be some significant shifts in how the team plays defense, too.

While many of the adjustments on offense will result from a revamped playbook and some coaching changes, Detroit's defensive philosophy will likely be based on the overall personnel. That means those modifications might not be seen until training camp.

The Lions, who have the 10th overall pick in the April draft, are in desperate need of a safety, but could also do some upgrading at defensive end and linebacker.

Detroit's defense was 22nd overall in the NFL last season, including 28th in third-down efficiency. Head coach Steve Mariucci will likely have to use the draft and free agency to add some playmakers to that unit. Mariucci said he isn't as concerned about the strategic direction of the defense as much as he is about getting the right people.

"Whether you're going to be a blitzing team or a two-deep zone team, well, you'd better have the personnel that can do that," Mariucci said. "We're going to need to add to our defensive personnel and then be able to make decisions of how we're going to play defense, what's best for our group."

The Lions did very little blitzing last season, partly because their starting cornerbacks (Dre Bly and Fernando Bryant) were injured for most of the season and also because defensive coordinator Dick Jauron leans toward a bend-but-don't-break system.

Jauron believes winning defenses are based on turnovers and touchdowns, and that yardage and other statistics are meaningless.

Still, Mariucci will have the defensive staff go through the playbook and refine it.

"They're going through it right now, just like the offense is, and they'll evaluate what they do best and whether they want to make any changes to the way we play and who do we want to bring in here to do that," Mariucci said.

The only positions the Lions don't need to address is defensive tackle, where they have Shaun Rogers and Dan Wilkinson, and cornerback.

At defensive end, James Hall and Cory Redding are the starters but, at the backup position, Kalimba Edwards has been inconsistent and Jared DeVries is coming off sports hernia surgery.

At safety, Brock Marion struggled last season and could be replaced while Bracy Walker, who might stick as a backup, won't be the starter on the strong side next season.

The Lions are deep at linebacker but there are questions. Can Boss Bailey, who missed last season with a knee problem, return healthy for a full season? Teddy Lehman did a decent job in Bailey's spot, but will he be successful if he shifts to the middle or weak side? The Lions could make an upgrade at any of the three positions, either in the draft or free agency.

Because he spends the majority of his time with the offense, Mariucci is leaving the bulk of the decision-making on defensive strategy to Jauron. As long as it's successful, Mariucci doesn't care which style the Lions adopt.

"When you look around the league and how people play defense -- the good defenses -- there are a variety of styles," Mariucci said. "It's not like they all blitz or they all play two-deep zone or drop nine (off the line) or whatever. All I want to do is keep people out of the end zone. Get people to punt and get them off the field and take the ball away. That's the most important part. How? I don't care. We can blitz every down or we can play zone every down, I don't care. I've seen it all work well with various teams. I just want us to become a better defense."

Mariucci has heard the same criticisms about the defense as he has about the offense: the Lions aren't aggressive enough.

"I don't know what the word aggressive means, whether it's blitzing more often or just playing solid, stingy defense . . . whatever it is, we have to get better at it," Mariucci said.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/i...6205129650.xml

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Detroit Lions hire Graves as receivers coach

February 9, 2005
    ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Fred Graves was hired by the Detroit Lions as their wide receivers coach Wednesday.

Graves, who coached the Cleveland Browns' receivers last season, replaces Kevin Higgins, whose contract expired.

Graves will be charged with developing Detroit's groups of young, talented receivers, including Roy Williams and Charles Rogers.

He spent 2001-03 with the Buffalo Bills. Before moving to the NFL, Graves spent 19 seasons at Utah, his alma mater, in a variety of coaching positions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions | Alexander Undergoes Surgery - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:45:50 -0800

Updating a previous report, Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions TE Stephen Alexander (ankle) underwent surgery to repair an ankle injury shortly following the conclusion of the 2004 season.

Lions | R. Williams Undergoes Surgery - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:44:56 -0800

Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions WR Roy Williams (ankle) underwent surgery Thursday, Feb. 10, to clean up an ankle injury that hampered him during the final eight games of 2004.

Lions | Warner Interested in Detroit - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:43:45 -0800

Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions head coach Steve Mariucci acknowledged that New York Giants QB Kurt Warner, who is expected to be released in March, has expressed interest in joining the Lions and competing for the starting job. "His agent sent us -- as he did a lot of teams -- the tapes of Kurt, and they're looking for a new home," Mariucci said.

Lions | Keeping Options Open w/ McMahon - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:41:48 -0800

Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions head coach Steve Mariucci said the team would keep an open mind regarding the possible return of QB Mike McMahon, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March. "He's going to be free in about two weeks," Mariucci said. "He's keeping his door open, and we are with him."

Lions | Wanted: A Starting-Caliber Backup QB - from www.KFFL.com
    Sat, 12 Feb 2005 09:40:21 -0800

Curt Sylvester, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions head coach Steve Mariucci said the team intends to search the free agent market this year for a veteran quarterback to assume the backup role or compete with starting QB Joey Harrington next season. "If there is somebody out there that we can sign that's good enough to compete, terrific," Mariucci said. "You're always trying to have the best players you can at every position, and if there's a guy that's good enough to compete with Joey, or beat Joey out or be his backup, that'll all sort out." Mariucci also mentioned that if a high-price veteran were signed, the club would likely have a rookie prospect serve as the third-string quarterback.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Millen on the media: I'm a firefighter

February 18, 2005

BY SEAN SMYTH
    FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- When dealing with the news media, Lions president Matt Millen says he's a part-time firefighter.

"In my current role I try to limit access as much as possible," Millen told students and alumni Thursday as part of a panel for the Penn State Center for Sports Journalism.

Millen, a Penn State alumnus, discussed numerous topics, including female reporters in the locker room, Jose Canseco's book and the Lions coaches, saying they need to "pick it up a little bit."

Millen said he's so cautious about the media that he has an intern regularly check Internet message boards and Web sites for rumors. The rumors are "fires I have to put out," he said.

He also called the media "a lot more complicated -- a lot more cutthroat at times." Millen has been criticized during his four-tenure, in which the Lions are 16-48.

Other topics he discussed:

•On the NFL's $250,000 fine against the Lions for not interviewing minority candidates before hiring Steve Mariucci as coach: "There has to be a policy in place, but I think the current one is flawed. I don't know the right answer. As a league we have to do a better job minority hiring. ...

"When it happened, I said, 'Fine me. I don't want to turn it into a circus.' It turned into a circus."

•On the Lions' 6-10 season: "We lost six of our 10 games by six points or less. ... That speaks to our coaching staff. Our coaching staff needs to pick it up a little bit."

•On women in the locker room: "Twenty-five years ago, when you were standing there naked and some woman walked in ... it was more shocking than it is now. There's always going to be issues of credibility, but I'm going to say this: There's going to be issues of credibility with both sexes."

•On tell-all books authored by athletes, such as Canseco's "Juiced": "I'm not a big fan, at all. Unfortunately, there was a book written a few years ago that exposed some" things that happened in the Oakland Raiders' locker room. "The only thing good that came out of it was that someone got paid."

•Asked how far away his alma mater is from having a winning team again: "Penn State is more than a few players away." It drew a nervous laugh from the entire room.

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions18e_20050218.htm

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions | Pinner Entering Contract Year - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:54:08 -0800

Detroit Lions RB Artose Pinner is entering the final year of his contract with the Lions. He is set to make $380,000 in base salary for the 2005 season and would become a restricted free agent following the season.

Lions | Bryson Entering Contract Year - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:52:27 -0800

Detroit Lions RB Shawn Bryson is entering the final year of his contract with the Lions. He is set to make $725,000 in base salary for the 2005 season.

Lions | Curry Contract Details - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:52:13 -0800

Updating previous reports, the three-year contract extension Detroit Lions LB Donte' Curry signed at the end of 2004 has base salaries of $540,000 (2005), $750,000 (2006) and $750,000 (2007).

Lions | Hall Contract Details - from www.KFFL.com
    Fri, 18 Feb 2005 09:51:58 -0800

Updating previous reports, the five-year contract extension Detroit Lions DE James Hall signed has base salaries of $2.25 million (2005), $2.5 million (2006), $2.75 million (2007) and $3 million (2008).

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions ready for shopping spree

The preliminaries are out of the way and the Lions -- along with 31 other NFL teams -- are ready to start their spring shopping.

They got a preview of the draft at the college All-Star games last month, and they have thoroughly reviewed the veteran players who will be available as free agents.

The list includes quarterbacks Jeff Garcia, who was officially released by the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday, and Kurt Warner, who lost the New York Giants' starting job to Eli Manning and will be available, too.

With coach Steve Mariucci in the market for a quarterback to push Joey Harrington for the starting job, much speculation has centered on his strong relationship with Garcia when both were at San Francisco in 1999-2002.

Others think Warner, who led St. Louis to two Super Bowls in three seasons, would be a better fit with young big-play receivers Charles Rogers and Roy Williams.

Mariucci and president Matt Millen have been quiet this week, although Mariucci indicated recently that free-agent efforts will be tightly focused in all areas.

"We've got some things to do this off-season," he said. "And it'll get busy in March. I don't think we're going to parade 15 guys around here in free agency. I don't think that's going to be the case.

"I think we're going to be selectively aggressive and go grab a guy or two."

In addition to an experienced quarterback, the Lions are in the market for a strong safety, a guard and -- in all likelihood -- a veteran wide receiver capable of giving them the consistent production they have not received from Tai Streets and Az-Zahir Hakim.

"If we can add another receiver, it's a consideration," Mariucci said.

Former Michigan State star Derrick Mason of Tennessee and Laveranues Coles of Washington would be appealing candidates. Mason led wide receivers with 96 receptions (for 1,168 yards and seven touchdowns) last year. Coles had 90 catches for 950 yards and one touchdown.

But the Lions -- who are seeking a No. 3 receiver -- might not be willing to make the investment necessary to get them.

Teams can begin signing free agents March 2. Although this week's roster cuts give shoppers an early start on the free-agent market, their attention for most of the next week will be on draft candidates who will be participating in the scouting combine that starts today in Indianapolis.

With the No. 10 pick in the draft, the Lions will be selecting later than they have since taking offensive tackle Jeff Backus 18th in 2001.

In 2002, coming off a 2-14 season, they took Joey Harrington with the No. 3 overall pick. In 2003, coming off a 3-13 record, they drafted Rogers at No. 2. And a year ago, after a 5-11 season, they traded down a notch and selected Williams at No. 7.

With the addition of those high picks -- as well as running back Kevin Jones, defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, linebackers Boss Bailey and Teddy Lehman, and defensive end Cory Redding in later rounds -- the Lions don't have the glaring holes they once had. But they won't have trouble finding players who interest them.

On the defensive side, the Lions aren't so strong or deep that they wouldn't be interested in Wisconsin defensive end Erasmus James, Texas outside linebacker Derrick Johnson or Thomas Davis, a Georgia safety who is being touted as a lights-out hitter who might end up at linebacker.

On offense, the Lions probably won't focus on a wide receiver, a running back or a quarterback in the first round, but some already have projected Virginia tight end Heath Miller as a player of interest.

Draft candidates will be given physical examinations, subjected to interviews by representatives of the individual teams and -- if coaches and scouts are lucky -- will even agree to be timed in the 40-yard dash and agility drills.

"Fewer and fewer of the top guys work every year," Mariucci said. "The benefit of the combine -- you're going to have about 320 college prospects, most are draftable and some get left out -- the most important thing is getting their medical done.

"You get some measurables -- height and weight -- and you get some interview time. That's pretty constant. Even the guys that don't work out will sit down and visit with coaches on an interview basis, so you get to know them a little bit."

Instead of being timed and measured on speed and leaping ability at Indianapolis, many of the top athletes will wait to be tested on the pro day at their own college.

NOTEBOOK: Safety Brian Walker, who spent last season on injured reserve after suffering a knee injury in training camp, was released. Walker, 32, started 25 games in the two previous seasons. Wide receiver Tim Van Zant, a rookie from Texas A&M who spent part of the season on the practice squad, also was released. The Lions signed guard Tyrone Hopson, who mostly played on special teams last season.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I'd rather have Kurt Warner than Jeff Garcia. Stay away from him.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I think the same.

Given time, Warner can still get it down the field (hoping).

We've had enough of the short passing game shit.

Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    03-03-2005 @ 07:36 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Joe is a simply a cunt. Next question. It's not even that close.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 02-23-2005 at 01:48 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Huh????

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Joe is a loser and has never had a woman, ignore.
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 02-23-2005 at 01:52 PM.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

If Lions want to improve, they must find backup to Harrington

By Rob Parker / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Lions have a huge decision to make, one that could mean the difference between making the playoffs or failing to reach the postseason for the sixth straight season.

That's why they can't get it wrong. The Lions have to acquire a back-up quarterback who is both good enough to beat out starter Joey Harrington in training camp or be ready to take over and lead this team to the playoffs if Harrington falters four games into the regular season.

The last thing the Lions need is a good-hat-wearing, firm-clipboard-holding quarterback who's around more for show than anything else.

The Lions don't want anything close to Mike McMahon, Rick Mirer or Ty Detmer on the sidelines for the '05 season.

As teams all around NFL America start letting go high-priced talent and free agency begins, Lions president Matt Millen must land a big-timer on the market. The Lions should have interest in Jeff Garcia, Quincy Carter, Kurt Warner and Drew Bledsoe.

Millen didn't return calls on Tuesday, but Lions' Pro Bowl cornerback Dre' Bly said landing the right guy is probably going to be the biggest move in this rebuilding phase, especially if the Lions want to take a step forward this coming season.

"It's a very important decision," Bly said. "It's my third year here. The city wants to see us win. Time is running out."

Normally, picking a back-up quarterback isn't that big of a deal. But in this man's NFL, you are only as good as your back-up QB. For the Lions, it's even more important since this is the make-or-break season for Harrington. "The most important position on the team is the quarterback," Bly said.

While Bly still has confidence in Harrington, entering his fourth season, and hopes that this is finally the season the former Oregon star reaches his full potential, he also knows that the NFL is a results-oriented business. Hence, there must be someone as talented on the roster to pick up where someone else leaves off.

"If we get a proven quarterback and if something happens or it doesn't work out for Joey, we'll still be OK," Bly said. "And we'll still be able to win some games and make a run at the playoffs."

For sure, that's the goal. The Lions who improved to 6-10 last season -- one victory more than the year before -- almost have to make the playoffs for people to believe there has been progress made with this franchise over the last four years.

This past season might have been saved if the Lions had gotten an experienced back-up this past off-season. Instead of making a switch when Harrington struggle midway through the season, the Lions stuck with him. It spoke volumes of the lack of confidence the Lions had in McMahon.

Sadly, there was always a feeling that the Lions didn't want to bring a quality quarterback to camp who could seriously challenge Harrington for the starting job. While that made sense in the first two seasons -- after all, Harrington was supposed to be this team's franchise QB for many years to come -- it doesn't any longer.

The Lions simply must win -- with or without Harrington behind center.

"We need someone who can get the job done," Bly said. "It's no secret."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/0502/23/G01-98433.htm

Banned
    Martian Spider
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-03-2010 @ 08:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by WHOYOUFUCKINJOE
    Joe is a simply a cunt. Next question. It's not even that close.
    STOP EDITING HIS POSTS ALIZ! jOE IS A FABULOUS PIECE OF ASS THAT I USE AS A PLASTIC FUCK DOLL. I WISH HE DID'T CRY SO MUCH THOUGH!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

By Jason Powell / fanball.com

Last month there were reports that the Lions were planning to release quarterback Joey Harrington. The next day, general manager Matt Millen and head coach Steve Mariucci denied those reports. The M&M Boys even went so far as to say that Harrington would return as the starter in 2005. Last week, Millen and Mariucci reversed their stance again by admitting that they would like to find a veteran to compete for a starting job.

So where does Harrington stand with the Lions? Is he on his way out of town? Will he be the starter? Will he open the season with a clipboard in hand?

At this point, we believe he will be with the organization, although his starting status is up in the air at this point, just as it should be. Sure, he threw two more touchdown passes and 10 fewer interceptions last season than he did in 2003, but he was still one of the least consistent signal callers in the league.

Beyond Harrington, the Lions showed some signs of life last season due to the strong early-season play of rookie wide receiver Roy Williams, and the great second-half performance by rookie running back Kevin Jones. Third-year receiver Charles Rogers will make yet another attempt at surviving at least a half-season without breaking his collarbone. If the three playmakers can stay healthy, Harrington will have plenty of weapons to work with.

Needs
    Detroit is in the hunt for a quarterback. As previously noted, no one is sure whether the person the Lions sign will get an honest shot to unseat Harrington for the starting job, but one can only hope so. Among the possible candidates the Lions will consider are Jeff Garcia, Drew Bledsoe, Kelly Holcomb, and Vinny Testaverde.

The most obvious answer would be Garcia, who played under Mariucci in San Francisco for three seasons. Oh, and it's probably not a coincidence that Mooch changed his tune on Harrington's starting status less than 72 hours after the Browns announced their decision to release Garcia. Actually, the Lions are also looking for a No. 3 quarterback, but that void could just as easily be filled with a draft pick as it could via free agency.

The Kitties might also be in the market for receiver depth either via free agency or in the draft. In addition to backup wideout Tai Streets being a free agent, Detroit might elect to release Az-Zahir Hakim, who will carry a $4 million salary cap number in 2005. Of course, the risk of losing Hakim and Streets is that injuries have prevented Rogers from playing in all but six games over the last two seasons.

Help could be on the way for the offensive line, particularly at guard. The bad news is that there is some question as to whether the team will meet the asking prices of free agents Dominic Raiola (center) and Stockar McDougle (tackle). The Lions have the money to replace either player via free agency, but there is something to be said for continuity.

There are rumors that the Lions might release free safety Brock Marion. The 13-year veteran did not live up to expectations last season and the general consensus is that he no longer has the speed to be as effective as he once was. Either way, look for the Lions to upgrade at safety during the offseason.

Kick return ace Eddie Drummond is a restricted free agent. He is free to sign with other teams, but the Lions have the right to match or pass on the offer. The Pro Bowl special teams player scored four touchdowns last season, including two punt returns for scores in the same quarter.

Salary Cap Situation
    We have been unable to find a solid estimate on the Lions' exact salary cap figure, although it is widely assumed that they are well under the cap. However, Millen has indicated that he does not intend to break the bank during the free agency period.

Unrestricted Free Agents
    QB Mike McMahon, QB Rick Mirer, WR Tai Streets, TE Stephen Alexander, C Dominic Raiola, G Tyrone Hopson, T Stockar McDougle, DT Marcus Bell, DT Kelvin Pritchett, LB Will Rainer, LB Donte Curry, LB Jody Littlejohn, CB Danion Sidney, S Bracy Walker, P Nick Harris.

Restricted Free Agents
    WR Eddie Drummond, TE Casey Fitzsimmons, T Victor Rogers, CB Andre Goodman, CB Chris Cash.

The Draft
    The Lions will likely address their defensive line issues with their No. 10 overall pick. The most likely candidate is LSU defensive end Marcus Spears. Other defensive lineman projected to be selected around the same time the Lions pick are defensive tackle Travis Johnson (Florida State) and defensive end Shawne Merriman (Maryland).

There has been some speculation that the Lions will select Virginia tight end Heath Miller in the first round. Then again, some draft experts don't believe Miller will be selected within the top-20 picks, let alone with the No. 10 overall pick. Miller would be an upgrade over the Lions' assortment of tight ends, but it's hard to imagine the team selecting another offensive player in the first round after they used a pair of first-round picks last season.

Detroit could conceivably trade down a few spots in the first round, especially if they take a liking to safety Brodney Pool, who is projected as a mid-first-round pick.

Injury Watch
    Williams is on the mend from offseason ankle surgery and will miss the team's first offseason workout at the end of April. However, he is expected to make a full recovery long before training camp opens... Rogers is on pace to make a full return from his broken collarbone and should be ready for the team's first minicamp in May. Of course, fantasy owners who bought into that line last year remember all too well that he didn't even survive the first regular season without suffering a season-ending injury… Tight end Stephen Alexander had offseason ankle surgery. What? Alexander suffered another injury? Knock us over with a feather… Linebacker Boss Bailey missed all of 2004 after undergoing right knee surgery during training camp. He will not need further surgery, although a timetable has not been established for his return.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Harrington getting more responsibility

New Lions offensive aide looking for more big plays

February 25, 2005

BY CURT SYLVESTER
    FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

INDIANAPOLIS -- Changes are in the works for Lions quarterback Joey Harrington.

And they involve more than the efforts by team president Matt Millen and coach Steve Mariucci to find a veteran backup to push him for the starting job.

A month into his job as offensive coordinator, Ted Tollner is working on the offensive adjustments that Mariucci hinted might be in line after a 6-10 season.

And if they carry through, Harrington will have more freedom to throw the ball downfield and have more responsibility for adjusting plays at the line of scrimmage than he had in his first three years in the West Coast offense.

"What we are going to try to do is a variety of things to try to help him," Tollner said Thursday at the NFL draft scouting combine. "No. 1, give him more opportunities to throw the ball down the field, to make that chunk 20-yard play, be willing to work on that and make the calls in the game. And then he's got to make that throw.

"You've got to make those plays on first and second downs. We're trying to expand and give him more opportunities on those downs to make those plays."

The offense often failed to gain many yards on first and second downs, leaving the Lions in long-yardage situations on third down.

"We're going to try to give ourselves an edge by expanding on our shifting from one formation to another formation, to put the defense a little bit in doubt so there's some movement," Tollner said. "We're not going to be a St. Louis Rams team, but we're going to add to that.

"We're going to try to expand to some degree on asking him to make some calls on the line of scrimmage so that on those first and second downs, if they want to gang up on the run, we'll have an alternate pass to go to. If they want to play the pass situation, then an alternate run."

In that scenario, Harrington might get "two or maybe even three plays to choose from," Tollner said.

But just as important as the play calls will be the ability of Harrington and his supporting cast to turn the calls into meaningful gains.

"We need just to get better at what was being done last year," Tollner said. "As you look at it, it wasn't so much that there wasn't a play there. It just wasn't made.

"It isn't just Joey. It could be a combination of: 'Did he have enough time from the protection? Did they catch the football? Did he make the right decision? Was he accurate?' You add all those things up, and you only need to make two or three more plays a game sometimes to win those close games.

"So it's not like we're talking some major deal. I think it's a finer line if you have young, quality players from a 6-10 to a 10-6. I think that line's a hell of a lot finer than it sounds."

Although Harrington had career bests with a 56 percent completion mark, 19 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a 77.5 passer rating last season, Mariucci was not satisfied with his production.

As a result, one of the Lions' top priorities in free agency is finding a quarterback capable of handling the backup role and pushing Harrington for the starting job.

Jeff Garcia, who played for Mariucci at San Francisco, is considered a top candidate after being released this week by the Cleveland Browns. Kurt Warner, who led St. Louis to two Super Bowls in three years, is also considered a candidate. He is expected to void his contract with the Giants next week.

In the meantime, Tollner is proceeding with plans under the assumption that Harrington will be the starter. They have talked by telephone and Harrington apparently liked the changes.

"I told him we can only take it as far as the whole offense is capable of, so we're going to start off by not going overboard," Tollner said. "We're not going to be the Indianapolis Colts, where you're making checks all the time, but we're going to start the process of giving our offense the ability to make some decisions on the line.

"To me, it's not going to be a major deal but a complement to what we're doing. He liked the fact we talked about improving our play-action pass game. Those are such general things, but he was very receptive to those general emphasis areas."

http://www.freep.com/sports/lions/lions25e_20050225.htm

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Report: Lions re-sign C Raiola

February 27, 2005

BRISTOL, Conncticut (Ticker) - It appears center Dominic Raiola, who has started 48 games over the last three seasons with the Detroit Lions, will continue to man the middle for them.

ESPN is reporting that Raiola has agreed to a five-year contract worth $17.5 million with the Lions.

Raiola, 26, and right tackle Stockar McDougle are two starters on the Lions' offensive line eligible to become unrestricted free agents on Wednesday, March 2.

Re-signing one of them was a priority for the Lions before the start of the free agency signing period.

A second-round pick out of Nebraska in 2001, Raiola played primarily on special teams as a rookie before becoming the starter in 2002.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions: Millen talking trade for Darius

Monday, February 28, 2005

News

Lions' general manager Matt Millen admitted Saturday that he has approached the Jaguars regarding the possibility of acquiring safety Donovin Darius via trade. Although Jags' general manager James "Shack" Harris placed the franchise tag on Darius last week, he is still listening to trade offers. However, Millen said there is one problem. "Shack wants your firstborn (child)," Millen told the Detroit Free Press. Darius finished last season with 87 tackles and five interceptions.

Views

Millen has not been willing to give up the high draft pick that Harris wants in return for Darius. Lions' officials were not happy with the play of their safeties last season, so we probably haven't heard the last of these trade rumors.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions keep the old, seek the new

Detroit agrees with Raiola, Walker and keeps searching for a Harrington backup.

By Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Lions didn't neglect the home front when they came to the Combine to test and probe this year's draft-class prospects.

They worked to re-sign some of their key veterans and made plans for when the free-agent signing period starts Wednesday. Evaluating the rookies did not get pushed aside. Deadlines and schedules forced all teams to work on the veterans, too.

The Lions kept two of their veterans from testing the free-agent market. Center Dominic Raiola and safety Bracy Walker agreed to contracts over the weekend.

A primary goal for the Lions in free agency is to sign a quarterback as the backup -- at least -- to starter Joey Harrington. The field of quality candidates got slimmer Sunday when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers agreed to terms with Brian Griese on a restructured contract.

Jeff Garcia and Kurt Warner remain the top two quarterback options for the Lions. They have different styles but share a similar situation. They both need a job.

Garcia was released by Cleveland earlier in the week and can sign at any time. Warner will void his contract after one season with the Giants and become a free agent Wednesday.

Lions president Matt Millen doesn't expect a long courtship in the game of musical chairs for the quarterbacks.

"The Minute Waltz" will be more fitting than "The Unfinished Symphony," but there are indications that Garcia and agent Stephen Baker don't expect to conclude the process until the end of the week.

"The music's going to stop pretty quick," Millen said Sunday. "There are two sides to it. We're looking and they're looking. We've just got to be smart about it."

Garcia was in Indianapolis over the weekend. He had a physical and met with coach Steve Mariucci, Millen and other members of the franchise.

Garcia also met with other teams.

The fact that Garcia played for Mariucci in San Francisco and made the Pro Bowl three straight years (2000-02) makes him a logical choice to wind up in Detroit, but there are no guarantees with any quarterback.

"There are things he does that are good," Millen said. "Then there are some concerns."

The Lions will move as cautiously as possible, given the time frame under which they are working. Other teams want to add veteran quarterbacks, too, and the pickings are slim behind Warner and Garcia.

While the pieces of the quarterback puzzle are still being put together, here are some issues facing the Lions:

Veteran free agents: They kept five potential free agents off the market. Before the end of the 2004 season, defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, linebacker Donte Curry and punter Nick Harris re-signed.

Raiola reportedly has agreed to a five-year, $17 million deal that included a $4.6 million signing bonus. Walker's signed for one year.

The Lions now have three offensive-line starters from 2005 under contract -- right guard Damien Woody, left tackle Jeff Backus and Raiola. The unit became more adept at running and blocking last season.

Raiola, drafted on the second round in 2001, is a three-year starter. He relies on quickness. He has trouble with big, strong nose tackles but can overcome it with his athleticism.

"He's smart," Millen said. "He controls everything up front. We can use him on the edge. He gets to the second level fine. He's got some things he's got to do better."

Right tackle Stockar McDougle will be a free agent Wednesday, and it is unlikely that he will return, given his salary expectations. Victor Rogers and Kelly Butler, young players with minimal experience, will compete at right tackle.

The Lions will tender three restricted free agents -- return specialist Eddie Drummond and cornerbacks Andre' Goodman and Chris Cash -- to retain their services, Millen said.

Look for the Lions to fill holes at left guard and wide receiver in free agency. If that fails, they'll use the draft.

A prime receiver such as Derrick Mason, a former Michigan State player released last week by the Titans, would be attractive. A more likely candidate is a player like Joey Galloway of Tampa Bay. Galloway has speed and is used to being a third receiver.

Combine workouts: The Lions and other teams were encouraged that more prospects than usual took part in the tests here. Quarterback Matt Jones of Arkansas was timed in at 4.40 seconds for the 40-yard dash Sunday. It is believed to be the fastest time ever run by a quarterback at the Combine.

Wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern Cal said Saturday that he would skip the 40 and run at his pro-day workout in California but changed his mind and ran Sunday. Williams' two unofficial times of 4.59 and 4.61 were acceptable for a receiver in the 230-pound range.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/lions/05...E01-102614.htm

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions: Muhammad was targeted, Mason next

Tuesday, March 1, 2005

News
    The Lions were a surprising player for the services of wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad before he signed with the Bears. The Chicago Tribune reports that the Lions were among the teams that made an attempt to sign the Pro Bowl receiver. With Muhammad off the market, the Lions have shifted their focus toward Derrick Mason.

Views
    The interest in top free agent wide receivers is proof that Lions' officials have lost faith in wide receiver Charles Rogers, whose broken collarbone has forced him to miss all but six games since he was selected with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2003 draft. Of course, what Lions' officials fail to acknowledge is that their real problem is quarterback Joey Harrington, who has been a flop since he was selected in the first-round of the 2002 draft.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I wouldn't be harsh enough to call Harrington a flop.

He had 19 TD and 12 INT's last year, hardly the numbers for a flop. Of course Lions fans were pissed much of the year with his play, but if those are numbers of a flop, I can't wait to see what his numbers look like if he actually 'produced'.

Would he have 38 TD and 6 INT's?

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Slow Moving Lions Have Work To Do In Free Agency

Mike Fowler - Scout.com

March 4, 2005 at 4:11pm ET

ALLEN PARK - A trip to the NFL owner's meetings and to the University of Miami's pro day have kept Lions president Matt Millen and C.O.O. Tom Lewand out of the Allen Park headquarters during the start of free agency.

Three days into the NFL's annual shopping spree, the Lions seemingly have been content to let the big rush die down before going shopping for players to fill some of the teams most glaring needs.

All signs point toward the Lions finally diving into the market this weekend. Denver safety Kenoy Kennedy , the subject of several unsubstantiated reports, will visit Detroit on Friday and take a tour of the Lions' Allen Park facilities and likely Ford Field in downtown Detroit.

Kennedy's agent, Vann McElroy, confirmed that he is in the process of arranging a visit to Detroit. The Lions are among the front runners for Kennedy's services. At 6-foot-1, 215 pounds, he is a physical presence in the middle of a secondary and many observers felt that he outplayed fellow Denver safety, the more highly touted John Lynch .

Former New York Giants quarterback Kurt Warner and Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Brad Johnson are also expected to visit the Lions either this weekend or early next week.

Detroit was expected to host former Packers guard Marco Rivera , but that went by the wayside when he signed with the Dallas Cowboys . Green Bay also lost guard Mike Wahle , a player Detroit likely would have had interest in, after he agreed to terms with the Carolina Panthers .

If Detroit is able to sign Kennedy, that would greatly relieve their problems in the secondary and allow them to address their offensive line needs. With veteran Stockar McDougle testing the market, the Lions may need to acquire replacements for two starting offensive line positions.

Some feel that former seventh round pick (2002) Victor Rogers or rookie sixth round pick (2004) Kelly Butler could step in and fill those positions, but that seems like a stretch considering neither has had substantial playing time. Does Detroit really want to risk stalling their fledgling running attack by starting an untested player at such a key position?

Detroit is unlikely to pay what former Ohio State standout and St. Louis Rams superstar Orlando Pace would command on the open market and with the next best player available, tackle Jonas Jennings signing with the San Francisco 49ers , the talent available at that position is thinning.

While former 49ers and Browns quarterback Jeff Garcia seems to be the best fit for Detroit's offense, reports have Garcia getting closer to an agreement with the Denver Broncos , at the urging of former 49ers head coach Bill Walsh.

The jury is still out on how the 2005 free agency period will turn out for the Lions. There may still be some good bargains when the Lions get around to shopping for them, but with around $20 million in cap space to play with, it's easy to wonder why a team that hasn't seen .500 in four seasons didn't come out more aggressively to fill some of their needs.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions sign free agents Kennedy, Pollard

March 7, 2005

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- Kenoy Kennedy made it as far as the gate at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. The Detroit Lions are just glad he didn't get on the plane.

The safety was about to board a flight to Miami to continue his free-agent tour Monday, but had second thoughts. He returned to the Lions' practice facility and signed a contract while the team was introducing another new player -- tight end Marcus Pollard.

``They were calling my name and saying that I had to get on the plane or I was going to get left behind,'' Kennedy said. ``I told them to go ahead and leave me. I decided I wanted to be a Lion.''

Kennedy has played his entire five-year career with the Denver Broncos. He is best known as a hard hitter, and has earned the wrath of the NFL for illegal hits.

He was suspended for one game in 2002 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Miami's Chris Chambers, and has been fined for similar plays at least three other times.

``I think I bring a presence,'' he said. ``Receivers are looking for me, and they might develop alligator arms.''

Kennedy has five career sacks and four interceptions.

``I think we got better today, and Kenoy is a big part of that,'' Lions coach Steve Mariucci said.

In the first of their back-to-back press conferences Monday evening, the Lions brought out Pollard, who caught six of Peyton Manning's record 49 touchdown passes last season.

``Until a couple weeks ago, we didn't even expect that Marcus would be available, so we feel very good about adding him to the roster,'' team president Matt Millen said. ``He brings experience, an understanding of how to win, and some great hands.''

Pollard, 33, spent his first 10 seasons with Indianapolis. Last season, as one of the last options in Manning's attack, he caught 29 passes for 309 yards and six touchdowns. He missed three games with leg injuries.

``The Colts felt that they had other players who were ready to play tight end, so they let me go,'' he said. ``That's made for a couple exciting weeks, but I'm glad I'm here and I'm looking forward to help take this team to the next level.''

Like Kennedy, Pollard had interest from other teams. But his wife, Amani, made the decision easier. She went to high school in the Detroit suburb of Farmington.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds like two good signings.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I for one like them a lot.

Huge needs on this team.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Philadelphia signs former Lion back-up Mike McMahon to COMPETE for the #2 behind McNabb, reuniting him with Marty Moerninweg (sp?).

Good athlete, bad QB. 44% career passer.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lions: Garcia and Mariucci reunited

Saturday, March 12, 2005

News

Free agent quarterback Jeff Garcia agreed to contractual terms with the Lions on Saturday, according to an ESPN News report. The length and financial aspects of the deal have not been disclosed. Garcia will enter training camp as the No. 2 quarterback on the depth chart behind starter Joey Harrington. The 35 year-old signal caller passed on contract offers from the Broncos and Seahawks before reuniting with Lions' head coach Steve Mariucci, who coached Garcia for four seasons in San Francisco.

Views

This is the move everyone expected Garcia to make after the Browns released him last month. However, there were rumors that Lions' general manager Matt Millen wasn't sold on Garcia's arm strength, which might explain why Jeff negotiated with the Broncos and Seahawks before finally signing with Detroit. The pressure is on for Harrington, who has struggled since the Lions selected him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2002 draft. Fantasy owners should keep a close eye on this training camp battle, as the winner will have good receiving weapons in Roy Williams, Charles Rogers, and Marcus Pollard to work with, and a strong running game that's fueled by second-year tailback Kevin Jones.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I just don't like the Garcia signing...I don't think he's that good...and if Harrington struggles...you are going to be hearing calls for this guy...

I'd honestly rather have McMahon...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Not McMahon ... at least Garcia would know the system. I couldn't wait for McMahon to go from day one.

I would have rather had Johnson of the 2, but best case scenario, he doesn't play and Joey doesn't falter.

Gotta go with that, and besides, I read earlier than Shawn King was thinking about Detroit as a possibility for him. Can't have that either.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Look...Al...have you watched Garcia the past 2 years?

He's dreadful...just dreadful...and mistake prone...

He's not any better...and probably worse than some of those guys you just mentioned...

weak arm...can't really move well anymore...

no real leadership qualities...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh he sucks bro ... nooooooooo question .... wasn't liking it, but can't undo it and gotta go with it.

Wanted Warner, then Johnson ... the bright spot HAS to be his knowledge of Mooch's system and the Lions could have the other skill players to help around him, like Joey really.

He's just there to push him supposively. I hope he doesn't play a down. STILL better than McMike to.

Thread Information