Can and will Warner Bros. ever release a live Dave VH era cd?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrets
    Foot Soldier
    • Apr 2004

I was listening to 'Live and Loud' the other day. Don't know why that was never an official release. Good sound and a great performance all round. No need for vocal overdubbing on that one. They could remaster it and release it with no major problems. This is the kind of thing the fans have been denied for so long.
    Achtung Baby I say, I say...

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Big Train
      They are discussing an IPO for early next year and they need some positive numbers bad.
      link?

as part of Time Warner, they're already publicly traded, aren't they? or did Time Warner sell off the labels? i don't remember.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Big Train
        Full Member Status

• Apr 2004

They sold them off last year, as well as the publishing to a group of Boston investment bankers and Edgar Bronfman Jr. (Seagrams). They have been trying to get the numbers pumped up via layoffs and hits. So far , there has been no hits...well, Green Day was a decent sized record this time around..

Comment

• m49085
          Roth Army Recruit
          • Aug 2004

If any Roth/VH live music is released it will be a DVD. Even if they just released all the promo videos with Roth they would make a ton of money. If Journey's Greatest Hits DVD can go platinum VH would sell way more. Ed and AL should take some lessons from Journey. They have a new singer but everything they have released in the past few years is with Steve Perry. Greatest Hits CD, Greatest Hits Live CD, Greatest Hits DVD and coming soon to DVD Journey Live from the Escape Tour. Journey isnt stupid. Now if Ed and Al, especially Al would get thier heads out of thier ass's they would do the same.

Comment

• Wayne L.

I think the record company will release a live album from Van Halen documenting their important & influential era with Dave probably in the next 5 or 10 years whether Eddie or Alex like it or not because of so many bootlegs!

Comment

• Atomic_Rob
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

I read that when the GNR Best Of Came out, it was done without the bands permission and that Axl and Slash were sueing their label for it. Would Warner Brothers be able to do something like that too? How much power do Ed and Al actually have over this?

1 more question... Did Van Halen fulfil there contract with Warner Brothers? Thats the reason Aerosmith have so many best ofs, they needed to fulfil contracts. Maybe if VH owed an album of sorts, a live album might be the best way to go.
              Diamond Dave Is Van Halen. 'Nuff Said

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Rikk
                There was going to be a possible live album in 1985. It never happened (mostly due to the break-up). I doubt we'll see one during Eddie's lifetime. And it's a damn shame.

Frankly, I think that any VH live album would have to probably have a few overdubs, a few redone lead vocals (because record companies don't like live albums with missed vocals, etc.) and the back-ups would also probably have to be redone. For all Al's bitching about Dave's live vocals (Dave is a visual performer...live with it, Al), Mike and especially Ed could frequently be VERY off-key doing their live vocals. Ed even admitted that on the LIVE WITHOUT A SINGER home video, the back-up vocals were almost all re-done. "Live" indeed.
                And there are plenty of live boots where Ed, Al and Mike miss cues and make howling mistakes as well. Fortunately none of that prevented classic Van Halen from being a kickin' live unit.

Am beginning to think it's gonna take someone from the classic lineup dying to get any kind of classic DVD released. Don't really think Ed and Al not wanting Dave to make any money off of it is a factor. Nor the legal wranglings.

What it's gonna take is the dissolution of brothers Van Halen working under the band name Van Halen for a clearing of the air on this issue. As long as Ed and Al are still plodding along under the Van Halen moniker, you can't have a distraction like a live classic DVD out there to throw the focus off the brothers. Heavens no!! Might just be a reminder to some of what was, who's not there now and what's missing.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

I love dave's quote being asked about a live album "same thing with my pants...it's hard to squeeze it all in"
                  Roth Army Icon
                  First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• nutts
                    Groupie
                    • Jan 2004

They could transfer the master tracks to digital & tune the volcals with pro-tools.Same with missed cues & whatnot. No band members need to spend time over-dubbing.
                    GO!

Comment

• nutts
                      Groupie
                      • Jan 2004

Vocals , sorry.
                      GO!

Comment

• nutts
                        Groupie
                        • Jan 2004

The sisters would never give that any thought.Warner Bros. wouldn't likely to do it either.It would cripple any future sales of Van Hagar.It would start an ever larger demand for original V.H.,leaving the sisters more powerless to do whatever it is they seem to be "trying" to do.
                        GO!

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                          Commando
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
                          I read that when the GNR Best Of Came out, it was done without the bands permission and that Axl and Slash were sueing their label for it. Would Warner Brothers be able to do something like that too? How much power do Ed and Al actually have over this?

1 more question... Did Van Halen fulfil there contract with Warner Brothers? Thats the reason Aerosmith have so many best ofs, they needed to fulfil contracts. Maybe if VH owed an album of sorts, a live album might be the best way to go.
                          They have not been under contract to WB for years, as WB dropped them following VHIII. BOBW was a one off deal, and sans the three "New!" sammy shits WB could have released it anytime they pleased.

And, they probably wish they would have as Ed and Al gained control over the sequencing/liner notes, etc. via the 3 sammy shits.

Nutts- WB does not give a flyin' frick over trying to "preserve" sales of the van hagar catalog because they are the drizzling shits. WB has pushed hard for Dave's return since he first left and ever since.
                          <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

hey folks...WB is not the vatikan and maybe they share some of their secrets with us if they get asked properly...maybe some member could ask (as a journalist or something not as a fan) per mail or phone and they will tell...

as I'm not a native speaker I'm afraid my english would not be good enough for that job...
                            Roth Army Icon

Comment

• RogueHorseman
                              Commando
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
                              hey folks...WB is not the vatikan and maybe they share some of their secrets with us if they get asked properly...maybe some member could ask (as a journalist or something not as a fan) per mail or phone and they will tell...

as I'm not a native speaker I'm afraid my english would not be good enough for that job...
                              No need, they don't have the rights as it stands by all accounts.

To clarify-

The six pack, and the van hagar shits released on the WB label, they have all rights to at present and for the foreseeable future. As mentioned, they could have released another greatest hits package without the brothers (or Dave's, Sam's or Mike's) consent as they retain full and exclusive licensing/distribution rights to the material released on WB.

Any unreleased material, certainly live footage, is a whole different ball of wax and would involve all participating parties who produced it reaching an agreement in regards to its release and distribution. This includes Dave, of course, as Van Halen was structured as a four way split at the time.

Following Dave's departure, the band name as a business entity was restructured and is to this day owned by Ed and Al. I would assume they can do whatever they want with any unreleased material following the restructuring (Dave's departure)... not that there is any great public demand for it, however.
                              <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K7_U-zj2gfE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by RogueHorseman
                                To clarify-

The six pack, [...]they want with any unreleased material following the restructuring (Dave's departure)... not that there is any great public demand for it, however.
                                sounds logical...thanx for clarifying, RH
                                Roth Army Icon

Comment

Working...