Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can and will Warner Bros. ever release a live Dave VH era cd?

Wolverine

Can and will Warner Bros. ever release a live Dave VH era cd?

This is long overdue!! the cd should be called "The Greatest Show on Earth"!!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2024 @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed and Al won't let that happen.

They'd hate to have Dave make money off of it.

DLR7884
    Screw them.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Wolverine
    why do ed and al hate dave sooooo much!!?? they are ruining everything....okay dave left in 85, dave knew it was a mistake,dave was man enough to admit....get over it ed and al!!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

There was going to be a possible live album in 1985. It never happened (mostly due to the break-up). I doubt we'll see one during Eddie's lifetime. And it's a damn shame.

Frankly, I think that any VH live album would have to probably have a few overdubs, a few redone lead vocals (because record companies don't like live albums with missed vocals, etc.) and the back-ups would also probably have to be redone. For all Al's bitching about Dave's live vocals (Dave is a visual performer...live with it, Al), Mike and especially Ed could frequently be VERY off-key doing their live vocals. Ed even admitted that on the LIVE WITHOUT A SINGER home video, the back-up vocals were almost all re-done. "Live" indeed.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

The problem with a live DAVID LEE ROTH era Vh recording is that it would OVERSHADOW everything that the sisters have done post 1985. Hence, they aren't really hip on releasing ANYTHING with DAVE live. Life's a BITCH when you can't face the truth.

Canuklehead
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-13-2024 @ 10:34 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Very true Matt...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

Can you imagine the sisters discussing this topic?!?
    AVH: "Bro, we could make SO much money off this live thing with Roth...."
    EVH: "Fuck HIM!!!!!!! I'll kick 'em in the nutz!!!!!! I'll COUGH! COUGH! Where's my beer?!?
    AVH:" Damn it dude! Focus on what's important here! We'd almost NEVER have to work again. And we might be able to SCREW Roth out of his fair share again!!!!"
    EVH: "Beer? Beer? Here beer! Here Beer! Come here Boy!"

Go Bruins!
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-10-2008 @ 03:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'm happy with the bootleg that's around. Fuck 'em. No one's gonna like a "produced" live album more than they already like the bootleg that's out there anyway. People will buy it, but they'll like the bootleg better in the end. (if they have any)

The Don: Roth Army Militi
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-17-2024 @ 10:50 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It really depends on who owns the right's to the back catalogue and video footage, and also the small print in any contracts. It may well be that Ed and Al are powerless to stop Warner cashing in.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:59 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Don Corleone
    It really depends on who owns the right's to the back catalogue and video footage, and also the small print in any contracts. It may well be that Ed and Al are powerless to stop Warner cashing in.
    Exactly. If the recordings were made when the band had a recording contract with Warners that gave them the rights to release said recordings, Warners can release it. The thing is, they might want cooperation from the Bros. But frankly, it'll probably only be vocals that will have to be touched up. So WB should make a deal with Dave and have him come down and do touch-ups and get a good engineer to mix the whole thing.

Fuck the brothers.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-10-2024 @ 10:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

It'll never happen.

lms2
    Sad but true Warham. I think if it was gonna happen, it would have happened by now.

And I am not saying one word about there always being hope for new material.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    11-24-2009 @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I'll bet MONEY it's on the front burner as we speak for a few reasons.

#1. WB needs it more than VH does, which makes it a priority. WB as a company is in really deep shit and BEST of 2 didn't deliver as promised. They are discussing an IPO for early next year and they need some positive numbers bad. I would be they are pressuring VH bad and it will probably happen.

#2. VH needs it. All of the losses on the CC tour are CROSS-Collaterilized. Which is to say that in order to make their advance back (and minimize risk) CC puts all the date in an "all in" pot, subtracts losers from winners and whats left is profit. Being that is a horrible ratio for this tour, VH is in the red here (Although contract player Sammy gets his cash, as he is an employee). They need the cash themselves.

#3. It is a way to test the water. In order to set up a winning tour with Dave, they need to whet the public's appetite in order to entice promoters to put their shirts up again.

Commando

Member No
    Last Online
    09-28-2007 @ 11:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man, that is from like 80 something...blast from the past!

Food for thought
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    02-15-2006 @ 04:32 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    I was listening to 'Live and Loud' the other day. Don't know why that was never an official release. Good sound and a great performance all round. No need for vocal overdubbing on that one. They could remaster it and release it with no major problems. This is the kind of thing the fans have been denied for so long.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Originally posted by Big Train
    They are discussing an IPO for early next year and they need some positive numbers bad.
    link?

as part of Time Warner, they're already publicly traded, aren't they? or did Time Warner sell off the labels? i don't remember.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They sold them off last year, as well as the publishing to a group of Boston investment bankers and Edgar Bronfman Jr. (Seagrams). They have been trying to get the numbers pumped up via layoffs and hits. So far , there has been no hits...well, Green Day was a decent sized record this time around..

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    07-19-2005 @ 11:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks

If any Roth/VH live music is released it will be a DVD. Even if they just released all the promo videos with Roth they would make a ton of money. If Journey's Greatest Hits DVD can go platinum VH would sell way more. Ed and AL should take some lessons from Journey. They have a new singer but everything they have released in the past few years is with Steve Perry. Greatest Hits CD, Greatest Hits Live CD, Greatest Hits DVD and coming soon to DVD Journey Live from the Escape Tour. Journey isnt stupid. Now if Ed and Al, especially Al would get thier heads out of thier ass's they would do the same.

Wayne L.

Wink

I think the record company will release a live album from Van Halen documenting their important & influential era with Dave probably in the next 5 or 10 years whether Eddie or Alex like it or not because of so many bootlegs!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-03-2022 @ 07:48 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    I read that when the GNR Best Of Came out, it was done without the bands permission and that Axl and Slash were sueing their label for it. Would Warner Brothers be able to do something like that too? How much power do Ed and Al actually have over this?

1 more question... Did Van Halen fulfil there contract with Warner Brothers? Thats the reason Aerosmith have so many best ofs, they needed to fulfil contracts. Maybe if VH owed an album of sorts, a live album might be the best way to go.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 1,481 Posts

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Rikk
    There was going to be a possible live album in 1985. It never happened (mostly due to the break-up). I doubt we'll see one during Eddie's lifetime. And it's a damn shame.

Frankly, I think that any VH live album would have to probably have a few overdubs, a few redone lead vocals (because record companies don't like live albums with missed vocals, etc.) and the back-ups would also probably have to be redone. For all Al's bitching about Dave's live vocals (Dave is a visual performer...live with it, Al), Mike and especially Ed could frequently be VERY off-key doing their live vocals. Ed even admitted that on the LIVE WITHOUT A SINGER home video, the back-up vocals were almost all re-done. "Live" indeed.
    And there are plenty of live boots where Ed, Al and Mike miss cues and make howling mistakes as well. Fortunately none of that prevented classic Van Halen from being a kickin' live unit.

Am beginning to think it's gonna take someone from the classic lineup dying to get any kind of classic DVD released. Don't really think Ed and Al not wanting Dave to make any money off of it is a factor. Nor the legal wranglings.

What it's gonna take is the dissolution of brothers Van Halen working under the band name Van Halen for a clearing of the air on this issue. As long as Ed and Al are still plodding along under the Van Halen moniker, you can't have a distraction like a live classic DVD out there to throw the focus off the brothers. Heavens no!! Might just be a reminder to some of what was, who's not there now and what's missing.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-21-2021 @ 06:04 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I love dave's quote being asked about a live album "same thing with my pants...it's hard to squeeze it all in"

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2008 @ 12:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks

They could transfer the master tracks to digital & tune the volcals with pro-tools.Same with missed cues & whatnot. No band members need to spend time over-dubbing.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Vocals , sorry.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The sisters would never give that any thought.Warner Bros. wouldn't likely to do it either.It would cripple any future sales of Van Hagar.It would start an ever larger demand for original V.H.,leaving the sisters more powerless to do whatever it is they seem to be "trying" to do.

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-20-2009 @ 08:02 PM
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Atomic_Rob
    I read that when the GNR Best Of Came out, it was done without the bands permission and that Axl and Slash were sueing their label for it. Would Warner Brothers be able to do something like that too? How much power do Ed and Al actually have over this?

1 more question... Did Van Halen fulfil there contract with Warner Brothers? Thats the reason Aerosmith have so many best ofs, they needed to fulfil contracts. Maybe if VH owed an album of sorts, a live album might be the best way to go.
    They have not been under contract to WB for years, as WB dropped them following VHIII. BOBW was a one off deal, and sans the three "New!" sammy shits WB could have released it anytime they pleased.

And, they probably wish they would have as Ed and Al gained control over the sequencing/liner notes, etc. via the 3 sammy shits.

Nutts- WB does not give a flyin' frick over trying to "preserve" sales of the van hagar catalog because they are the drizzling shits. WB has pushed hard for Dave's return since he first left and ever since.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

hey folks...WB is not the vatikan and maybe they share some of their secrets with us if they get asked properly...maybe some member could ask (as a journalist or something not as a fan) per mail or phone and they will tell...

as I'm not a native speaker I'm afraid my english would not be good enough for that job...

©Ramblings by Rogue® Inc.
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-20-2009 @ 08:02 PM
    RogueHorseman® resides at the scenic Double Cross Ranch in sunny Riveria Paradise
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by DavidLeeNatra
    hey folks...WB is not the vatikan and maybe they share some of their secrets with us if they get asked properly...maybe some member could ask (as a journalist or something not as a fan) per mail or phone and they will tell...

as I'm not a native speaker I'm afraid my english would not be good enough for that job...
    No need, they don't have the rights as it stands by all accounts.

To clarify-

The six pack, and the van hagar shits released on the WB label, they have all rights to at present and for the foreseeable future. As mentioned, they could have released another greatest hits package without the brothers (or Dave's, Sam's or Mike's) consent as they retain full and exclusive licensing/distribution rights to the material released on WB.

Any unreleased material, certainly live footage, is a whole different ball of wax and would involve all participating parties who produced it reaching an agreement in regards to its release and distribution. This includes Dave, of course, as Van Halen was structured as a four way split at the time.

Following Dave's departure, the band name as a business entity was restructured and is to this day owned by Ed and Al. I would assume they can do whatever they want with any unreleased material following the restructuring (Dave's departure)... not that there is any great public demand for it, however.

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by RogueHorseman
    To clarify-

The six pack, [...]they want with any unreleased material following the restructuring (Dave's departure)... not that there is any great public demand for it, however.
    sounds logical...thanx for clarifying, RH

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by nutts
    The sisters would never give that any thought.Warner Bros. wouldn't likely to do it either.It would cripple any future sales of Van Hagar.It would start an ever larger demand for original V.H.,leaving the sisters more powerless to do whatever it is they seem to be "trying" to do.
    Why would WB care, they dropped them. There will be no future sales of VH albums. Hell, they can't sell three new tunes. There is no doubt, the sisters are in a tight spot right now whether or not they can see it.

All roads lead through Diamond City.

Irresistible BITCH
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-20-2023 @ 06:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I hope so! WB is all about the dinero, and they know the dinero lies with DAVY BABY!!!!!

Cum ON, WB!!! RElease some Dave shit!!!!!!!!

NUTHIN' BUT YEAH!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-17-2023 @ 02:26 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Switch84

Cum ON, WB!!! RElease some Dave shit!!!!!!!!

NUTHIN' BUT YEAH!
    I'll second.....errrrr 108th that!

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-02-2015 @ 02:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Big Train
    Why would WB care, they dropped them. There will be no future sales of VH albums. Hell, they can't sell three new tunes. There is no doubt, the sisters are in a tight spot right now whether or not they can see it.

All roads lead through Diamond City.
    Agreed.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Originally posted by CROWBAR
    Agreed.

The only problems I can see would be the source of the live tape...yet let's face it, in an era where "Pro-Tools" type technology exists (not to mention how a label can make "vocal stars" out of tripe like Ashley Simpson and Lindsey Lohan(sp) and various talent free rappers and garage bands), what could be the hold-up?

The much wanted Oakland show would be a good starting point.

Good Christ, if Judas Priest can release DVD quality shows from 20 years ago, why can not somebody at Warners spend a few hours looking over the archive and pull the fucking trigger on this?

Oh yeah...Ed and Alex have their collective vanity to protect.

Feel free to substitute "vagina" for "vanity".

IMHO
    ...craig

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by c.craig
    Lindsey Lohan
    They said on Stern today, that Colin Farrell nailed her this past weekend! Isnt she like 18?

Wolverine
    colin farrel seems to nail every hot chick!!

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by The Godfather
    colin farrel seems to nail every hot chick!!
    I know it, that Fucker!

um...yeah
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-02-2015 @ 02:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What could be the hold up? Hmm, good question! Ed & Alice having the footage? Seems to me that they are going to have to cover their losses from this tour. This tour was a bust. Clean up all the old footage and package it wisely, then sell it, might bring 'em out of the hole (maybe) and I'm sure that WB is desperate as well from the sounds of it. It might cost a lot of money to do it but the payoff is in the end.

I'm referring to the Oakland show and, I think it would be a win-win situation.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Crowbar & Big Train, I'm sure your right about W.B., but if so , why did they back the B.O.B.W. Maybe to keep a foot in for the original cows to produce milk in the future?

Whatever happened to that online patition to release a live DVD ?

Thread Information