X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Igosplut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Hmmmm...Wells...not a horrible pick up...an under the radar guy this year...

interesting...I can't believe he's pitching for fucking Boston after saying he wanted to blow up Fenway...

lmfao...

he better pitch well...
    I would say better than Lowe, you think??

hard to believe that he's going to Boston after all that shit talk....

If he doesn't pitch well the fans will eat him for lunch.... then again...whats new...
    Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Lou

I thought I heard Wells was a Hagar fan. In fact he wore a hat with the ringed VH logo in 1998.

Comment

• redblkwht
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
        I like Wells, good guy....

Beer gut, and I've heard a big DLR/VH fan.....
        Met him, hes a hagarite to the bone..speaks to eddie on occasion.
        remember? 2000 my thread when i was in Tampa?
        good guy though, no bad side on the personality dept. chatted
        for a good 1/2 hr on VH situation then. wifes pretty hot too.

EUAS

Comment

• redblkwht
          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Yanks got Pavano..

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Carl Pavano decided Saturday he wanted to pitch for the Yankees, and his agent and New York closed in on a four-year contract worth about $39 million.

Pavano called his agent, Scott Shapiro, on Saturday morning and informed him of his decision.

"Number one, he wants to win," Shapiro said.

Anaheim, Baltimore, Boston, Detroit and Seattle also sought the right-hander, 18-8 with a 3.00 ERA for Florida last season.

Shapiro said his next step was to meet with Yankees general manager Brian Cashman to finalize an agreement. Pavano and Shapiro met with the Yankees in New York last weekend, and Shapiro was confident a contract would be agreed to.

"We have to really hunker down and have some serious negotiations to hammer out the deal," Shapiro said.

The Yankees expect the agreement will be worth about $39 million, a baseball official said on condition of anonymity, and the contract could contain an option for a fifth season.

New York also has a preliminary agreement with right-hander Jaret Wright on three-year, $21 million contract, but there may be a hitch in the deal. New York is still evaluating his physical exam, the baseball official said, and hasn't determined whether he passed it or failed it.

Pavano had been wooed by the World Series champion Red Sox, with Curt Schilling inviting him to his home last month. A native of New Britain, Conn., he began his professional career in the Boston organization, and was traded to Montreal in the 1997 deal that brought Pedro Martinez to the Red Sox.

"The Red Sox are an incredible organization. Obviously he's got a soft spot in his heart for them," Shapiro said. "It's been a real difficult decision for him. ... It's about Carl being happy where he's living and where he's playing."

Earlier in the day, former Yankee David Wells made a surprising decision to pitch for Boston, reaching a preliminary agreement on a two-year, $8 million contract with the Red Sox that could be worth up to $18 million.

In the AL Championship Series, New York became the first major league baseball team ever to waste a 3-0 postseason series lead, losing to Boston as its pitching collapsed. The Yankees have made reshaping their rotation a priority, and Pavano would join holdovers Mike Mussina, Javier Vazquez, Kevin Brown and possibly Wright.

New York also has been talking with left-hander Eric Milton, who wants a three-year, $24 million deal, and could bring back Orlando Hernandez.

Pavano, who turns 29 next month, has been probably the most sought-after of the top-level free-agent pitchers. In addition to New York and Boston, he also visited Detroit and Seattle.

"It was a long process, but Carl is comfortable because he turned over every rock, he gathered all the information possible to make a decision," Shapiro said.
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
          cnnsi.com courtesy-

EUAS

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Another good signing for those fuckers....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

I have no problem with Pavano...I just don't see him as a number 1...

So here's their rotation...

Pavano, Mussina, Vazquez, Wright and...who am I forgetting...Duque? Brown?....

So...what do we have...Pavano...a #2...Mussina...no longer a #1...Vazquez a #2 or #3 and Wright a #3...

Duque is injured every other week...and so is Brown...

They still need a #1...or they won't be any better than they were last year...

We'll see...

a good pickup yes...but not the answer...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TLR
                Head Fluffer
                • Jun 2004

HERE'S what they need: a LEFTY...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

They need more than a lefty...they need a good lefty...

and a #1...having a lefty is a good thing...

but if you add a quality #1 starter to that staff...that they have now...

you don't need a lefty...

but it wouldn't help with matchups...that's true...
                  "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• TLR
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Jun 2004

I personally hope they get a CRAPPY lefty.

They need the lefty to counteract the short porch in RF. Period...

(Remember a guy named Pettitte?)

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Well...I'm sure there are still thoughts of Randy Johnson...but the fact is...there just aren't a bunch of quality lefties out there...

I'm sure they were in the Oakland hunt...until they found out it was Hudson...I think they were salivating over Zito...

Comment

• TLR
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Jun 2004

Yep, they could very well still end up with His Unitness. However, Finley is lobbying for him to come to Anaheim now.

I'm crossing my fingers they don't have enough bullets in their gun to TRADE for a lefty. That leaves them with not much on the free agent market to choose from.

I hope Beane trades Hudson to Philly. Package the big free agent signee (Lieber) for him! Are you kidding me? John Lieber as their #1. Great...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

The Angels got Finley. He wanted tobe able to live in California where his home is, can't blame him for that.

Thought the Atlanta deal with the Brewers for Danny Kolb, returning Smoltz to the starting rotation.

And David Wells signing with the Red Sox.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Atlanta got Kolb?

I hadn't seen that...must have been tonight...

Moving Smoltz back to a starter is a mistake of mythic proportions if you ask me...but Kolb is a solid closer...

Comment

• Lou

TLR, forget the Phillies doing anything. Their philosophy is a LETHAL combination of not wanting to spend a lot of money AND not wanting to take a chance that one of their "crown jewel" prospects will be good somewhere else. That's why Ryan Howard will toil in the minors. They wouldn't actually have the balls to trade Thome and get a pitcher and put Howard at first. And you heard me right, I'm already sick of Thome. What a streaky player he is, and he's not a leader. Not a guy you can build your whole lineup around.

Here's another ballsy move they should have tried in 2004--trade Pat Burrell. I don't see him approximating his 2002 season again. And his value will just keep slipping until they finally realize that he is an underachiever.

Nope, they won't spend money on Carl Pavano or Carlos Beltran. Instead it's Jon Lieber (who's a fine #3, not a #1 as they're gonna make him out to be) and Kenny Lofton. A day late and a dollar short with Lofton. And then they won't make ANY kind of gutsy trade. Everyone's untouchable. Won't trade Chase Utley for pitching, won't inquire about Thome, Burrell, Abreu, or anyone in that lineup. They would rather roll out the same lineup that strikes out too much instead of trade one of their 10 or 12 untouchables because that player might really take off somewhere else. And finally they hired a puppet manager. Couldn't hire Jim Leyland because he'd get in their face and tell them what needs to be done. Nope, they hired a yes man who also is someone that Thome is happy with. It's important that Thome be accommodated because his $15M a year isn't enough compensation.

Ed Wade, and that whole management team, are a JOKE.

Comment

• TLR
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jun 2004

Lou,

That's a mouthful you just spit out!

I know it is probably wishful thinking that they'll do something, but I still hope. I was around in '80 and hope that isn't the only one I ever see.

I find it interesting you characterize Thome as NOT being a leader. That flies directly in the face of virtually everything heard or read. I would totally disagree with trading him to put an unproven prospect at first base. He is streaky (as are almost all power guys), but you know what you are getting: 45 HR, 115 RBI. I'll take that...

I agree they should have looked into trading Burrell. However, maybe everyone else already knew what Phils fans were starting to realize: the 2002 season was his one big one. If he gets to .270, 30-35 and 90-100, that would be more than acceptable. Heck, he SHOULD hit that many HRs playing in the bandbox they are in.

I don't mind them not signing Pavano. He's not a #1...he's a younger version (slightly better) than Lieber. Nothing spectacular, in my view. Beltran is certainly not an option now (if he ever was) after they picked up Lofton. I question trading a 31 year old power reliever who could get it up to 97 for a 37 year old CF. They've been in love with Lofton since last year for some reason. They couldn't have afforded Beltran without moving SIGNIFICANT salary...simply not signing Polanco and Millwood would not have saved enough as some guys are due raises.

They could get a ton in a trade for Abreu, but he's a stud...even if he doesn't always play hard. Besides, his salary is reasonable in today's market.

As for Leyland...I'm not sure what to think. I mean, they got rid of Bowa because HE was a get-in-your face guy. They claim to need a "new voice" in the clubhouse. Hence, the addition of Manuel (also, his obvious connection to Thome as you noted). I look at Leyland as being more like Bowa...that wouldn't work with the "change" they wanted.

Note: Maybe Manuel can get Byrd to finally start swinging the bat...he's noted for reclamation projects with hitters who haven't reached their potential.

Ed Wade better hope this team wins NOW or he can be looking over his shoulder, I think...

Comment

Working...