Thread: Eddie Van Halen Is The Last Guitar God.

Wayne L.

Thumbs up Eddie Van Halen Is The Last Guitar God.

Eddie Van Halen is one of the LAST great important & influential rock guitarist of all time with few equals joining other legendary rock guitarists before him like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page because what came after the VH explosion back in 78 hasn't made much of an impact even though Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right. Listening to Eddie's signature song on Van Halen's debut album Eruption is like an atomic bomb which shook the rock world to its knees at the time with so much force that other rock guitarists tried to immitate but never succeded because they were more posers than real musicians for the MTV audience like C. C. Deville of Poison as an example so rock & roll had its last hurrah in the 70's & early 80's during VH's reign.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

guwapo_rocker
    Wayne L. is a fag!!!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-21-2011 @ 11:41 AM
    Status
    Thanks

i agree 100%
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

John Holmes
    Originally posted by Wayne L.
    Eddie Van Halen is one of the LAST great important & influential rock guitarist of all time with few equals joining other legendary rock guitarists before him like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page because what came after the VH explosion back in 78 hasn't made much of an impact even though Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right.
    Listen buddy: He surely is a guitar god. But he is not the last great important & influential rock guitarist of all time. There's a parallelism between Eddie and Kurt Cobain: Eddie influenced through the 80's a lot of guitarist to play great and use his innovative techniques; Kurt Cobain influenced a lot of guitarist not to learn to play and sound like shit as him.

But I think Cobain has been even more influential than Eddie, because people are lazy and it's easier to play and sound like shit; indeed, there is not one decent guitarist surfacing in the music industry during the new millennium who can actually play. Eddie influenced guitarist within a 10 years period. Cobain is topping 15 years of crappy guitarists who emulate him in his pathetic sound.

Think of nu-metal: none of these guitarists can actually play more than 1 fingered chords on a 7 strings. Even Cobain was better than that. In the guitar world it's been 15 years, since Nevermind, of Cobain's "the shittier, the cooler" attitude.
    Last edited by John Holmes; 12-21-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2007 @ 11:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by John Holmes
    Listen buddy: He surely is a guitar god. But he is not the last great important & influential rock guitarist of all time. There's a parallelism between Eddie and Kurt Cobain: Eddie influenced through the 80's a lot of guitarist to play great and use his innovative techniques; Kurt Cobain influenced a lot of guitarist not to learn to play and sound like shit as him.

But I think Cobain has been even more influential than Eddie, because people are lazy and it's easier to play and sound like shit; indeed, there is not one decent guitarist surfacing in the music industry during the new millennium who can actually play. Eddie influenced guitarist within a 10 years period. Cobain is topping 15 years of crappy guitarists who emulate him in his pathetic sound.

Think of nu-metal: none of these guitarists can actually play more than 1 fingered chords on a 7 strings. Even Cobain was better than that. In the guitar world it's been 15 years, since Nevermind, of Cobain's "the shittier, the cooler" attitude.
    Great post! I couldn't agree more. Although, the era of guitar gods might not quite be over. As it stands now, the whole nu-metal genre is getting outdated. Hanging out at the mall, shopping at Hot Topic, and whining about your parents is a fad that's wearing down. And grunge has been dead for a decade (it was quoted somewhere that the KISS reunion tour in '96 spat on its grave). The question is, where does the music industry go from here? Like 'em or hate 'em, I'm hoping for more bands like The Darkness. Those guys fought their way to the top through hard work (like two years as an opening act and playing in clubs). Most of the nu-metal bands you hear about got recording contracts because that genre of music is popular and the record companies could make a profit from it no matter what. And the two brothers in The Darkness, while not in Eddie or Steve's category of greatness, are better guitarists than pretty much anyone in the nu-metal genre. The Darkness are pretty popular, but it seems to be a 50/50 split right now - either you love them or hate them. I'd love to see another band like them emerge, but that'll depend on whether the big record companies are ready to give up on nu-metal or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Minimum Wage Fluffer
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2005 @ 09:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks

What about Slash?

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-16-2005 @ 02:54 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I can listen to Grunge/ Nirvana, and Curts slack chops, and deal with it, but I am REALLY FUCKIN SICK OF RAP!!!!!! I really am having a hard time grasping why white kids are trying so hard to be black kids???
    Every stop light That Fucking same beat!!! You Know the bass that about shakes your windows out of your car , or your house windows when they drive by. And white kids trying there best to be black kids! Gold tooth displays, pants falling off, wearing the hats turned sideways, and looking Stupid! Bling Bling, My Crib , My Ride ECT. I work with a 20 Yo kid that hates Van Halen , or any Metal / Rock I listen to. He says being Black in a white guys body is the new cool thing, and Rap is taking over?????????? I see it everywhere in Fla!
    I hope Good Guitar players Black ,White, Red ,Yellow, will start taking back the music scene , Like they were in our days, and the record companys will respond, with record deals , and Rap , and all that is involved will finally go away!!!!
    I hate to think I am just getting Fuckin Old! I can hear my Dad saying the same thing about Me blasting Hendrix! THAT IS NOT MUSIC!
    I know White guys took the Blues from the blacks , and Hendrixs Really Showed the white guys how to Rip!!! And We did a Great job doing it!
    But Rap Is Not Music! Sorry!
    Last edited by IMFUCKINPISSED; 12-21-2004 at 06:52 PM.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-04-2009 @ 05:47 PM
    Status
    Thanks

COBAIN IS NO WHERE NEAR AS INFLUENTIAL AS EDDIE. EDDIE SINGLE handidly CHANGED THE FACE OF ROCK. HE EVEN CHANGED THE WAY GUITARS WERE MADE. HIS EFFECT ON THE OVERALL MUSIC WORLD FROM AMPS, GUITARS, EFFECTS AND TECHNIQUE IS unparelled IN MY OPINION.
    I'LL BET KURT COBAIN WAS INFLUENCED BY EDDIE AS WELL. I KNOW JERRY CANTRELL WAS. AS WAS ZAKK, DIMEBAG, AND ALL THE 80's PLAYERS. VAI AND SATRIANI'S PLAYING IN THE LATE 80'S WAS ALL STUFF ED HAD ALREADY DONE. WHAMMY BAR TRICKS, HAMMER ONS, TAPPING ETC. NEITHER ONE OF THOSE GUYS CAME OUT WITH ANYTHING NEW. THEY JUST INCORPORATED IT INTO THERE PLAYING STYLES.
    YOU HAVE TO PUT ED IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS A HENDRIX OR A PAGE. HIS INFLUENCE IS THAT FAR REACHING. I DOUBT ANYONE WILL HAVE THAT TYPE OF IMPACT AGAIN FOR A LONG, LONG TIME.

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-31-2008 @ 08:18 PM
    Status
    Thanks

EVH probably is the last of the gods.

But the darkness ??? are we including club bands and bands who like AC/DC riffs???

I still think EVH has something to deliver.Who would put money on the NEW CLASSIC Van Halen album that Eddie has ben planning will have THE fucking Van riff!!

Vamos dar um jeito!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-30-2015 @ 04:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie is a guitar god because of what he did many years ago, but honestly, he hasn't done anything to impress me since MWM and CGTSNM.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    12-08-2011 @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Thank god for Steve Vai. Not everyone will agree if he is better than Ed but the chance of him becoming an alchoholic and losing his ability to play are nil. This is in no way a slight on Ed at all. Maybe he will pull his head out, stranger things have happened.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-06-2006 @ 03:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Kurt Cobain knew like 3 chords, i think slash was the last metal god, eddies ready to be kicked over in his condition

You love it!
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    01-30-2009 @ 08:07 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Mr. G
    Thank god for Steve Vai. Not everyone will agree if he is better than Ed but the chance of him becoming an alchoholic and losing his ability to play are nil. This is in no way a slight on Ed at all. Maybe he will pull his head out, stranger things have happened.
    I agree Steve Vai is the guitar master. Everytime I watch G3 in Denver I keep thinking It must be annoying for Satriani and Malsteem to do there thing and the Steve Vai just blows them out of the water.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-25-2024 @ 06:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 685 Posts

EVH=DOG. Wayne is dyslexic.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2012 @ 05:13 PM
    Status
    Thanks

although i dont really care for limp bizkit, wes boreland is a smoking guitar player. i started listening to him when i saw geroge lynch do a gutar clinic in my hometown. someone asked him who he thought was up and coming as far as gutar playing. his response was (wes borlenad can shred like a mother fucker and has a real distinct style that not many people get or are able to play. (this was in may of 2000) i started checking him out and really listening to his playing, and ol george was right. the guy is incredible. if you can find some of his solo stuff, check it out.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ooops, i guess misspelling his last name the way i did isn't going to get anyone to listen to him. i meant.... borland

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ok, i guess i cant spell anything. listen, ignore my spelling in my first post. im drunk. and i give up on this typing shit for the night.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Steve Vai is a great talent but he never had great rockand roll stage presence like Eddie did. Eddie had it all. Great riffs, great songs (When Dave was in the band of course), great stage presence, innovation, creativity, and drive.

Van Halen has been in disfunctional decline for so long, even us veteran fans forget what an amazing band Van Halen was in their early prime years. That band simply blew us away.

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-27-2012 @ 01:06 PM
    Status
    Thanks

People seem to forget that Kurt Cobain didn't set out to be a guitar legend and has been bearing the brunt of complaining people. It's not his fault folk can't play any more!

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Just for good measure!

Banned
    THE GRATEST™
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-12-2013 @ 08:42 AM
    Status
    Thanks

jimmy page is vastly overrated

brian may kicks his ass

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-03-2020 @ 02:47 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah, May's a one-guitar orchestra.

SHEEP PEN-JUNKHEAD
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    01-31-2024 @ 04:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
    Wayne L. is a fag!!!
    Yes, he is.

DLR7884
    He has to wear a helmet.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2014 @ 09:03 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Eddie Van Halen will not be the last guitar god.

Yngwie, Satch and Vai all have reasonable claims to that mantle.
    Randy Rhoads would have kicked Ed's butt (he already was)..

We will see a new influential player very soon.. Ed is old now.
    Outdated. Time is ripe for a new innovator...

Father of Strife
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    02-19-2007 @ 10:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

haw haw. sir edwad von halen hath no divine might. curs and cowards worship at his drunken stall.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by Panamark
    We will see a new influential player very soon.. Ed is old now.
    Outdated. Time is ripe for a new innovator...
    Hasn't happened yet, there are no good new players out there.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    12-08-2011 @ 09:41 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Not to beat the Steve Vai thing to death but there is no player out there that is more inovative. I mean most of his audience are musicians. In fact he pokes fun at the fact that most of the women at his shows are dragged there by thier musician boyfriends. The reson Dave made him so popular commercially is that he kept him from being too inovative. Dave is the king of taking someone like that and pakaging them into the perfect vehicle.

Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    03-29-2013 @ 12:19 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Ed is one of the few guitar gods actually able to forget his own shit....

teamaa104
    hmmmmm....yeah wayne is real gay

teamaa104
    yeah im gonna go with steve as the reigning guitar god

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    01-01-2006 @ 12:55 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Vai is technically better than Eddie, but being a great rock guitarist is about doing it in a rock and roll band. Eddie had great taste, and never played anything for the sake of being flash. It was all to drive the band and nobody ever did it better.

teamaa104
    Originally posted by Balue
    Vai is technically better than Eddie, but being a great rock guitarist is about doing it in a rock and roll band. Eddie had great taste, and never played anything for the sake of being flash. It was all to drive the band and nobody ever did it better.
    no i totally agree, but if i were to choose who was the guitar god based on their performance this minute, vai would probably win, eddie's guitar work is pure slop now and hes drunk all the time, that cannot compete with Vai's grammy nomination for this year

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    03-19-2024 @ 04:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Vai is an incredibly inventive player, but there's just so much more depth to what Ed was doing IMO. Ed wasn't flashy for the sake of being flashy, I think guys like Yngwie and even Vai fall into that trap sometimes.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    08-11-2013 @ 02:57 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Whatever, EVH was the man, but if you say that, you haven't been paying attention:

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Steve Vai IS the Guitar. Not the guitar master, but he IS the Guitar!

The Ox
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

YNGWIE!

Sheep Pen Emperor
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2024 @ 09:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,333 Times in 859 Posts

Oh fucking boy, here we go again....

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    05-26-2015 @ 05:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Bob, how's it goin' buddy?!

Thread Information