Eddie Van Halen Is The Last Guitar God.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne L.

Eddie Van Halen Is The Last Guitar God.

Eddie Van Halen is one of the LAST great important & influential rock guitarist of all time with few equals joining other legendary rock guitarists before him like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page because what came after the VH explosion back in 78 hasn't made much of an impact even though Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right. Listening to Eddie's signature song on Van Halen's debut album Eruption is like an atomic bomb which shook the rock world to its knees at the time with so much force that other rock guitarists tried to immitate but never succeded because they were more posers than real musicians for the MTV audience like C. C. Deville of Poison as an example so rock & roll had its last hurrah in the 70's & early 80's during VH's reign.
  • guwapo_rocker

Wayne L. is a fag!!!

Comment

• DaveTheSoulOfVH
      Head Fluffer
      • Feb 2004

i agree 100%

Comment

• John Holmes

Originally posted by Wayne L.
        Eddie Van Halen is one of the LAST great important & influential rock guitarist of all time with few equals joining other legendary rock guitarists before him like Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck & Jimmy Page because what came after the VH explosion back in 78 hasn't made much of an impact even though Steve Vai & Joe Satriani are great rock guitarists in their own right.
        Listen buddy: He surely is a guitar god. But he is not the last great important & influential rock guitarist of all time. There's a parallelism between Eddie and Kurt Cobain: Eddie influenced through the 80's a lot of guitarist to play great and use his innovative techniques; Kurt Cobain influenced a lot of guitarist not to learn to play and sound like shit as him.

But I think Cobain has been even more influential than Eddie, because people are lazy and it's easier to play and sound like shit; indeed, there is not one decent guitarist surfacing in the music industry during the new millennium who can actually play. Eddie influenced guitarist within a 10 years period. Cobain is topping 15 years of crappy guitarists who emulate him in his pathetic sound.

Think of nu-metal: none of these guitarists can actually play more than 1 fingered chords on a 7 strings. Even Cobain was better than that. In the guitar world it's been 15 years, since Nevermind, of Cobain's "the shittier, the cooler" attitude.
        Last edited by John Holmes; 12-21-2004, 03:29 PM.

Comment

• byte
          Full On Cocktard
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by John Holmes
          Listen buddy: He surely is a guitar god. But he is not the last great important & influential rock guitarist of all time. There's a parallelism between Eddie and Kurt Cobain: Eddie influenced through the 80's a lot of guitarist to play great and use his innovative techniques; Kurt Cobain influenced a lot of guitarist not to learn to play and sound like shit as him.

But I think Cobain has been even more influential than Eddie, because people are lazy and it's easier to play and sound like shit; indeed, there is not one decent guitarist surfacing in the music industry during the new millennium who can actually play. Eddie influenced guitarist within a 10 years period. Cobain is topping 15 years of crappy guitarists who emulate him in his pathetic sound.

Think of nu-metal: none of these guitarists can actually play more than 1 fingered chords on a 7 strings. Even Cobain was better than that. In the guitar world it's been 15 years, since Nevermind, of Cobain's "the shittier, the cooler" attitude.
          Great post! I couldn't agree more. Although, the era of guitar gods might not quite be over. As it stands now, the whole nu-metal genre is getting outdated. Hanging out at the mall, shopping at Hot Topic, and whining about your parents is a fad that's wearing down. And grunge has been dead for a decade (it was quoted somewhere that the KISS reunion tour in '96 spat on its grave). The question is, where does the music industry go from here? Like 'em or hate 'em, I'm hoping for more bands like The Darkness. Those guys fought their way to the top through hard work (like two years as an opening act and playing in clubs). Most of the nu-metal bands you hear about got recording contracts because that genre of music is popular and the record companies could make a profit from it no matter what. And the two brothers in The Darkness, while not in Eddie or Steve's category of greatness, are better guitarists than pretty much anyone in the nu-metal genre. The Darkness are pretty popular, but it seems to be a 50/50 split right now - either you love them or hate them. I'd love to see another band like them emerge, but that'll depend on whether the big record companies are ready to give up on nu-metal or not. We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

• Knucklebones
            Head Fluffer
            • Nov 2004

What about Slash?

Comment

• IMFUCKINPISSED
              Full On Cocktard
              • Mar 2004

I can listen to Grunge/ Nirvana, and Curts slack chops, and deal with it, but I am REALLY FUCKIN SICK OF RAP!!!!!! I really am having a hard time grasping why white kids are trying so hard to be black kids???
              Every stop light That Fucking same beat!!! You Know the bass that about shakes your windows out of your car , or your house windows when they drive by. And white kids trying there best to be black kids! Gold tooth displays, pants falling off, wearing the hats turned sideways, and looking Stupid! Bling Bling, My Crib , My Ride ECT. I work with a 20 Yo kid that hates Van Halen , or any Metal / Rock I listen to. He says being Black in a white guys body is the new cool thing, and Rap is taking over?????????? I see it everywhere in Fla!
              I hope Good Guitar players Black ,White, Red ,Yellow, will start taking back the music scene , Like they were in our days, and the record companys will respond, with record deals , and Rap , and all that is involved will finally go away!!!!
              I hate to think I am just getting Fuckin Old! I can hear my Dad saying the same thing about Me blasting Hendrix! THAT IS NOT MUSIC!
              I know White guys took the Blues from the blacks , and Hendrixs Really Showed the white guys how to Rip!!! And We did a Great job doing it!
              But Rap Is Not Music! Sorry!
              Last edited by IMFUCKINPISSED; 12-21-2004, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• MUSICMAN64
                Roadie
                • Jun 2004

COBAIN IS NO WHERE NEAR AS INFLUENTIAL AS EDDIE. EDDIE SINGLE handidly CHANGED THE FACE OF ROCK. HE EVEN CHANGED THE WAY GUITARS WERE MADE. HIS EFFECT ON THE OVERALL MUSIC WORLD FROM AMPS, GUITARS, EFFECTS AND TECHNIQUE IS unparelled IN MY OPINION.
                I'LL BET KURT COBAIN WAS INFLUENCED BY EDDIE AS WELL. I KNOW JERRY CANTRELL WAS. AS WAS ZAKK, DIMEBAG, AND ALL THE 80's PLAYERS. VAI AND SATRIANI'S PLAYING IN THE LATE 80'S WAS ALL STUFF ED HAD ALREADY DONE. WHAMMY BAR TRICKS, HAMMER ONS, TAPPING ETC. NEITHER ONE OF THOSE GUYS CAME OUT WITH ANYTHING NEW. THEY JUST INCORPORATED IT INTO THERE PLAYING STYLES.
                YOU HAVE TO PUT ED IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS A HENDRIX OR A PAGE. HIS INFLUENCE IS THAT FAR REACHING. I DOUBT ANYONE WILL HAVE THAT TYPE OF IMPACT AGAIN FOR A LONG, LONG TIME.

Comment

• janarak
                  Roadie
                  • Aug 2004

EVH probably is the last of the gods.

But the darkness ??? are we including club bands and bands who like AC/DC riffs???

I still think EVH has something to deliver.Who would put money on the NEW CLASSIC Van Halen album that Eddie has ben planning will have THE fucking Van riff!!

Comment

• light 'em up!
                    Foot Soldier
                    • Mar 2004

Eddie is a guitar god because of what he did many years ago, but honestly, he hasn't done anything to impress me since MWM and CGTSNM.

Comment

• Mr. G
                      Roadie
                      • Jun 2004

Thank god for Steve Vai. Not everyone will agree if he is better than Ed but the chance of him becoming an alchoholic and losing his ability to play are nil. This is in no way a slight on Ed at all. Maybe he will pull his head out, stranger things have happened.

Comment

• VHII
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Oct 2004

Kurt Cobain knew like 3 chords, i think slash was the last metal god, eddies ready to be kicked over in his condition

Comment

• David Van Via
                          Sniper
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mr. G
                          Thank god for Steve Vai. Not everyone will agree if he is better than Ed but the chance of him becoming an alchoholic and losing his ability to play are nil. This is in no way a slight on Ed at all. Maybe he will pull his head out, stranger things have happened.
                          I agree Steve Vai is the guitar master. Everytime I watch G3 in Denver I keep thinking It must be annoying for Satriani and Malsteem to do there thing and the Steve Vai just blows them out of the water.
                          Rumour has it that Van Halen have continued in recent years with a new lead signer, but since there 1985 breakup, nobody involved has ever recaptured that spontaneous cheeseburger magic!

ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

EVH=DOG. Wayne is dyslexic.

Comment

• EDDIEVRULZ
                              Roadie
                              • Aug 2004

although i dont really care for limp bizkit, wes boreland is a smoking guitar player. i started listening to him when i saw geroge lynch do a gutar clinic in my hometown. someone asked him who he thought was up and coming as far as gutar playing. his response was (wes borlenad can shred like a mother fucker and has a real distinct style that not many people get or are able to play. (this was in may of 2000) i started checking him out and really listening to his playing, and ol george was right. the guy is incredible. if you can find some of his solo stuff, check it out.

Comment

Working...