Thread: Hear 'N Aid

Fabulous Shadow

Hear 'N Aid

I just downloaded this song. Remember? the record was used to raise money for famine relief efforts in Africa and around the world.. "Stars" was a plea for unity in the fight against world hunger. Been YEARS since I heard it. I forgot how amazing the guitar solos were. Vince Neil and Mick Mars from Motley Crue, Blackie Lawless and Chris Holmes from WASP, George Lynch and Don Dokken from surprise surprise - Dokken, Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot, Rob Halford of Judas Priest, Geoff Tate of Queensryche, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ronnie James Dio... Nuff said...

Any other fans out there...

Fabulous Shadow
    And dont Paul Shrotino.................that fucker blew the mike off thye stand....................and props to Viv................kick ass BELFAST!!!!!

Flash Bastard
    Looks like a bad photo montage.

Look at the lower left, Vivian Campbell appears to be pouting, while in the lower right corner, Frankie Banali is wearing the fugliest suit ever made.

'We're Stars' had a killer guitar solo though....

Fabulous Shadow
    Joke taken with class..... I think!!!!

Flash Bastard
    I know this is a real photo, it just looks so freaking weird.

WTF is going on in the upper right corner? It looks like the stage is about to collapse.

Flash Bastard
    Who is this guy?

Fabulous Shadow
    Isnt he from Blue Oyster Cult?

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn was THAT a fuckin' debacle.........the Spinal Tap dudes were there IN CHARACTER! That song was horrible.........

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Re: Hear 'N Aid

Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow
    I just downloaded this song. Remember? the record was used to raise money for famine relief efforts in Africa and around the world.. "Stars" was a plea for unity in the fight against world hunger. Been YEARS since I heard it. I forgot how amazing the guitar solos were. Vince Neil and Mick Mars from Motley Crue, Blackie Lawless and Chris Holmes from WASP, George Lynch and Don Dokken from surprise surprise - Dokken, Kevin DuBrow of Quiet Riot, Rob Halford of Judas Priest, Geoff Tate of Queensryche, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ronnie James Dio... Nuff said...

I remember that. I have the video somewhere.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 12-23-2004 at 03:55 AM.

Fabulous Shadow
    Originally posted by Bill Lumbergh
    Damn was THAT a fuckin' debacle.........the Spinal Tap dudes were there IN CHARACTER! That song was horrible.........
    In spite of the cheesy lyrics. The great names, great vocals and AWESOME names made it a HIT! Not to mention a worthy cause!

The Last in Line
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ronnie James Dio seems to get the credit for this, but it was all Vivian Campbell’s idea!

As his Roth Army name sake, I would like to formerly apologize to everyone for the billionth Hollywood bleeding heart African crusade of the 1980s.

Originally posted by Flash Bastard
    Look at the lower left, Vivian Campbell appears to be pouting
    There’s a reason for that. This debacle pretty much coincided with the end of DIO MK I. Ronnie wasn’t coughing up the royalties he promised the band at the beginning of the band’s inception. While Viv was airing his complaints, Dio was secretly recruiting another member of the Hear N Aid collaboration - Craig Goldy. To paraphrase Jimmy Bain, All of the sudden Vivian was gone and Goldy conveniently took his place. A lesson to all - get your money guarantees in WRITING.

The Last in Line
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ronnie has been making noise about a Hear N Aid II to help the "Children of the Night" charity that he frequently supports. Children of the Night deals with saving run aways from prostitution and other bad stuff.

The Last in Line
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rob Halford Hear N Aid

"I've known Rob for years and years. He always turned up backstage to see us and I'm proud to count him as a true friend. I care a lot for the guy and he will always have a true ally here. When we did the Hear 'N' Aid record, Rob moved his entire schedule to do that for us. I can remember asking him and thinking to myself that it might not happen because Judas Priest was busy, but Rob basically said, 'Anytime, anywhere - just call me'. The Children Of The Night fund was very important to him and he made it a priority, That's exactly what he did too."
    - Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath : Never Say Die!, 2003

"This is the only sector of music that hasn't really done anything in the form of relief for what's going on over in Africa, and it's just a joy to be involved, you know..."
    - Rob Halford, Making of HEAR 'N' AID, 1985
    Credit: http://members.firstinter.net/markster/TURBO.html

Who rules? I DO.
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have this video, and it fuckin' rocks to see all the guitar shredders rippin during the solo overdubs!! Don't forget Dave Meneketti!!
    If you listen to fools
    The Mob Rules

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A classic metal anthem.Interesting video. Lots of great singin and solos. They were all wicked but the most rippin/passionate solo was the outro .Played by the amazing Neal Schon. The best one of the tune.He's the most underrated player.
    Check the vid. Vivian Campbell is sportin a bitchin mullet!

I heard ya missed us...
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow

LOVE THAT SONG.....Downloaded it last year....bought the single (45 for those of you that would remember) 14 yrs ago.

One of my all time fave songs.....pure unadulterated, unified SHREDDING!!!

Flash Bastard
    Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
    There’s a reason for that. This debacle pretty much coincided with the end of DIO MK I. Ronnie wasn’t coughing up the royalties he promised the band at the beginning of the band’s inception. While Viv was airing his complaints, Dio was secretly recruiting another member of the Hear N Aid collaboration - Craig Goldy. To paraphrase Jimmy Bain, All of the sudden Vivian was gone and Goldy conveniently took his place. A lesson to all - get your money guarantees in WRITING.
    Yeah, he looks totally fucking pissed off. Given your explaination I can't blame him, Viv got screwed.

Flash Bastard
    Who is this guy?
    Anyone figure out who the afroman is? He looks outta place.

Dump Enthusiast
    Groupie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A liberal bleeding heart crusade to save the wastrel inhabitants of Africa; How novel.
    Originally posted by scorpioboy33
    you are a piece of garbage...a nothing...a zero...you don't matter....you make me sick...karma has a way of biting you in the ass when you least expect it ...expect it...!
    What is Truth?

Army Bartender
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone figure out who the afroman is? He looks outta place.
    carmine appice?
    Roth Army Icon
    First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Underwhelmist
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Vivian Campbell
    Ronnie James Dio seems to get the credit for this, but it was all Vivian Campbell’s idea!
    It's the same thing with BAND AID-Geldof takes all the credit, but Midge Ure (Ultravox) did as much as Geldof. In fact he wrote all the music for Do They Know It's Christmas? Geldof only wrote the lyrics.

The Last in Line
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vivian Campbell and Ronnie James Dio were listed #1 on VH1's "Most Metal Moments" for... Hear N Aid! Thanfully, Ronnie gave Viv and Jimmy Bain cred for the concept.
    The Fat Lady is singing for Van Hagar.

http://www.rotharmy.com/forums/attac...&postid=392002

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Got the orignal video in my hand. Any Questions ??

Pretty cool, if you can get over the fact that it sounds like "Rainbow in the Dark", the extended soloing by the various guitarists is the true shining moment...
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Thread Information