@
    Status

Prime Minister Bin Laden?

BEHIND THE HEADLINES
    Bin Laden's rhetoric takes political turn
    By JOHN SOLOMON
    Associated Press
    12/29/2004

Osama bin Laden's latest tape-recorded messages reflect a sharpened political sense that seeks to split the United States from its allies while luring the average Muslim to his cause.

WASHINGTON - U.S. intelligence analysts think that Osama bin Laden has shifted from outright calls for violence to political arguments in recent tape-
    recorded messages in hopes of driving a wedge between the United States and its allies, officials said Tuesday.
    The analysts think that bin Laden is making the tactical shift to try to exploit some allies' concerns with U.S. policy in the Middle East and to attract more moderate Muslims who distrust the United States but have not embraced the violence of the al-Qaida terrorist network, the officials said.

One U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the CIA's technical analysis of a 2-minute, 5-second tape that surfaced Monday has concluded with "moderate confidence" that the voice is likely bin Laden's.

Poor audio quality made it difficult to reach a more certain conclusion, but U.S. officials are operating under the assumption that it is bin Laden's voice. That tape formally names Abu-Musab al-Zarqawi as al-Qaida's leader in Iraq and tries to persuade Muslims not to vote in the Iraqi elections set for Jan. 30. Al-Zarqawi has gained worldwide attention for several beheadings of hostages.

The official said U.S. intelligence analysts detected a notable change in messages from bin Laden and deputy Ayman al-Zawahiri in 2004, with fewer threats and specific emphasis on offering political arguments against U.S. policy toward Muslims and the Middle East.

Analysts think that al-Qaida's leadership has "attempted to hone their political message in an effort to persuade the world to rally to their cause. They have gone to great lengths to explain al-Qaida's objections to the West. And this message specifically seeks to isolate the United States from its allies," the official said.

Officials caution that the change in tactic does not mean that al-Qaida or its allies have foresworn violence. U.S. intelligence continues to gather evidence showing the group's intention to strike Americans, including a recent attack on a U.S. diplomatic post in Saudi Arabia.

Experts say the noticeable change emerged last April in a bin Laden audiotape that offered a truce between al-Qaida and any Western country that withdrew from fighting in Muslim countries.

Then, a videotape surfaced in October, shortly before the U.S. presidential elections, telling Americans that they could spare themselves from future terrorist attacks if their country stopped threatening the security of Muslims.

Both tapes were in sharp contrast to the gun-wielding bin Laden seen in a 2003 videotape, vowing to strike again.

In Monday's tape, bin Laden makes an argument against Iraqi participation in next month's elections.

"In the balance of Islam, this constitution is infidel, and therefore everyone who participates in this election will be considered infidels. Beware of henchmen who speak in the name of Islamic parties and groups who urge people to participate in this blatant apostasy," the speaker thought to be bin Laden said in the tape.

Roger W. Cressey, who was the deputy to Richard A. Clarke during the latter's tenure as White House counterterrorism chief in the Clinton and first Bush administrations, said the most recent message shows bin Laden trying to broaden his audience. "He is trying to position himself as speaking to a global Islamic community in a way that further defines the fight against the West in his terms," Cressey said. "If he can show he's more than just a rank-and-file terrorist, that will help his message."

Cressey said bin Laden is trying to reach "the part of the Muslim world that is sympathetic to the message but is not willing to endorse him. These are fence-sitters, people who have serious problems with the U.S. policy but have not become activists against us yet."

Ben Venzke, president of the private IntelCenter in Alexandria, Va., and a government consultant, said bin Laden's taped messages show "al-Qaida is very savvy when it comes to understanding public perception, its media campaign and messaging and its image."

Peter Bergen, a fellow at the New American Foundation, a Washington think tank, said the messages also provide a reminder of the failure of the U.S. search for bin Laden. "The tapes are coming thick and fast, which means (the terrorists) are feeling secure," he said.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I thought it was strange when he recently endorsed Al-Zarkawi or whatever that fuck's name is. out of character.
    gnaw on it

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bin Laden is extremely influential in certain parts of the world. This is frightening as Bin Laden may emerge as a politician in circles that do not consider him a criminal.

Bush allowed Bin Laden to get away. Incompetence or purposefully? Who knows?

IF YOU VOTED FOR BUSH YOU VOTED FOR THIS!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He sort of HAS to get more political as a lot of muslims are dying by those roadside bombs and rpg's.

We have already seen Spain lay down and roll over, so it is to be expected.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Big Train
    He sort of HAS to get more political as a lot of muslims are dying by those roadside bombs and rpg's.

We have already seen Spain lay down and roll over, so it is to be expected.
    All of Bin Laden's moves are already political.

I'm pretty sure that the Iraqi's don't blame Bin Laden for anything.

Spain? They just left the sinking ship that is the American led occupation.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Spain left after a stiff explosive kick, if memory serves.

Bin Laden already was political, correct, but in his actions, not speech. He is now in a position where he has to speak more universally so as not to lose the momentum he has and have non-violent muslims actually turn on him.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Spain left after a stiff explosive kick, if memory serves.

Bin Laden already was political, correct, but in his actions, not speech. He is now in a position where he has to speak more universally so as not to lose the momentum he has and have non-violent muslims actually turn on him.
    Bin Laden is now in a position where he CAN speak more universally because he is terrorism's latest rock star. The world is his to adress as he sees fit. And that darn liberal media runs his messages ad nauseam.

If he were in custody or dead- he would be really, really quiet.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think your right...

I still advocate roving death squads as the best defense against terrorism. I used to think my idea was far-fetched, but I'm getting more into it by the day.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What if we just left them alone? How about pulling our military out of the region and attempting to handle this diplomaticaly?

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DEMON CUNT
    What if we just left them alone? How about pulling our military out of the region and attempting to handle this diplomaticaly?
    Unfortunately, our enemies look at moves like that as a weakness. At least that's the concensus here.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think your right...

I still advocate roving death squads as the best defense against terrorism. I used to think my idea was far-fetched, but I'm getting more into it by the day.
    Roving Death Squads at the very least should serve as a stiff deterrent. We could make some kick ass deaths squads if we wanted to. The problem is the people running the deaths squads could start assuming too much power. That's exactly how Saddam got his start.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    'Roving Death Squads' is a horrible idea that would back fire. Some Al-Qaida members have been assassinated though, like the guy from near Buffalo, NY (which has a large Yemeni population) that was hit by a hellfire missile from a Predator Drone in Yemen. You get far more information by arresting them and then keeping them in prison forever.

DUMMY CONS FEAR ME!
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ODShowtime
    Unfortunately, our enemies look at moves like that as a weakness. At least that's the concensus here.
    But in Bin Laden's pre-election video tape he talked about U.S. policy as the reason why we are in the cross hairs of terrorism.

Let the Glory be to god.
    Foot Soldier

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DC i think you're right about pulling our troops out, because there's another thread in the frontline about the next attack, wouldn't we then NEED OUR troops over here and not over there?
    Do you love me peter? Yes of course my lord. Then feed my sheep.

Thread Information