Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Hate speech from the left

Hate speech from the left
    Jeff Jacoby

December 31, 2004

As it does every year, the empty folder I labeled "Liberal Hate Speech" in January had grown to a thick sheaf of clippings by December. 2004 wasn't even a week old when two videos explicitly comparing George W. Bush to Adolf Hitler appeared on the website of the liberal group MoveOn. They were entries in a contest soliciting "really creative ads" that would help voters "understand the truth about George Bush."

And so began another year in which liberals engaged in, and mostly got away with, grotesque slanders and slurs about conservatives -- the kind of poisonous rhetoric that should be unheard-of in a decent society. Once again, too many on the left -- not crackpots from the fringe, but mainstream players and pundits -- chose to demonize conservatives as monsters rather than debate their ideas on the merits.

As in years past, Republicans were almost routinely associated with Nazi Germany. Former Vice President Al Gore referred to GOP activists as "brown shirts." Newsday columnist Hugh Pearson likened the Republican National Convention to the "Nazi rallies held in Germany during the reign of Adolf Hitler." Linda Ronstadt said that the Republican victory on Election Day meant "we've got a new bunch of Hitlers." Chuck Turner, a Boston city councilor, smeared National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice as "a tool of white leaders," akin to "a Jewish person working for Hitler."

Even a federal judge, Guido Calabresi of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, couldn't resist a Third Reich comparison. Bush became president because of an "illegitimate" Supreme Court ruling, he told the American Constitution Society. "That is what happened when Hindenburg put Hitler in." (Calabresi later apologized.)

Such Nazi labeling is no less disgusting when it comes from Republicans. According to Bob Woodward, Secretary of State Colin Powell described Undersecretary of Defense Douglas Feith as running a separate government out of his "Gestapo office." Commentator Ralph Peters, writing in the New York Post, accused Democrat Howard Dean of using the tactics of Hitler and Goebbels to silence his competitors. Too many conservatives and libertarians refer to antismoking extremists as "tobacco Nazis," or to the humorless critics of fast food as "food Nazis." Whether it comes from the right or the left, language like that is vile.

Overwhelmingly, though, political hate speech today comes from the left. It has increasingly become a habit of leftist argumentation to simply dismiss conservative ideas as evil or noxious rather than rebut them with facts and evidence.

That is why there was no uproar when Cameron Diaz declared that rape might be legalized if women didn't turn out to vote for John Kerry. Or when Walter Cronkite told Larry King that the videotape of Osama bin Laden that surfaced just before the election was "probably set up" by Karl Rove. Or when Alfred A. Knopf published Nicholson Baker's "Checkpoint," a novel in which two Bush-haters talk about assassinating the president. "I'm going to kill that bastard," one character rages.

Bill Moyers warned a television audience on election day that if Kerry won narrowly, "I think there'd be an effort to mount a coup, quite frankly. . . . The right wing is not going to accept it." Chevy Chase, hosting a People for the American Way awards ceremony at the Kennedy Center in Washington, slammed Bush as a "dumb [f-word]" and "an uneducated, real, lying schmuck." A cartoon by the widely syndicated Ted Rall described Pat Tillman, the NFL athlete who gave up his career to enlist in the Army and was killed in Afghanistan, as a "sap" and an "idiot."

So many examples, so little space. A political flier in Tennessee, depicting Bush as a mentally disabled sprinter, bore the message: "Voting for Bush is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded."

The St. Petersburg, Fla., Democratic Club took out an ad calling for the death of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld. "Then there's Rumsfeld who said of Iraq, 'We have our good days and our bad days,' " the ad read. "We should put this S.O.B. up against a wall and say, 'This is one of our bad days,' and pull the trigger."

Fantasies of murder likewise animated British pundit Charlie Brooker, who ended his Oct. 24 column in the Guardian with a plea for Bush's death: "John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, John Hinckley Jr. -- where are you now that we need you?" Brooker later assured readers that he "deplores violence of any kind" and had meant his call for an assassin only as "an ironic joke."

But the "joke" of left-wing hate speech stopped being funny a long time ago. There is room in the marketplace of ideas for passionate, even angry, rhetoric, but there are also lines that, as a matter of decency and civic hygiene, should not be crossed. The violent invective so often hurled at conservatives pollutes the democratic stream from which all of us drink. Democrats no less than Republicans should want to shut those polluters down.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Wayne L.
    There's always been more hate speech politically from the liberal left than the conservative right which is why Michael Moore is the poster boy for the DNC.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Every one of these useless neocon columns that Brian has spammed this forum with is hate speech.

Every word on FAUX news is hate speech.

Every minute broadcast on hate radio shows is hate speech.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Wayne L.
    There's always been more hate speech politically from the liberal left than the conservative right which is why Michael Moore is the poster boy for the DNC.
    Oh, but thought you weren't "either left OR RIGHT wing!" Trolling for friends now loser! Try Kristy, I hear that hate filled, evil little cunt needs a mullet wearer to put her in her place by feeding her his pork sausage!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh, I guess the lies and personal attacks Rush spews dailey are not taken as hate speech.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by FORD
    Every one of these useless neocon columns that Brian has spammed this forum with is hate speech.

Why don't you remove them then?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by BigBadBrian
    Why don't you remove them then?
    Because you would go whining to the admins about me "abusing my moderator status" for one.

Also, while these neocons are hateful, and reading their shit is a waste of time, it doesn't fall under the category of personal attacks, like the pussy from Littleton is posting.

Me Wise Magician
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's really, really fucking stupid when the goddamned government makes laws against a fucking FEELING.

What's next? INTIMIDATION CRIMES? JEALOUSY CRIMES? Shit, they probably already exist. Fucking communist bastards!

What the hell ever happened to FREE FUCKING SPEECH? Or is it only FREE if it is LIBERAL ASSHOLE PROPAGANDA??

Goddamn liberals for hypocritically "supporting" free speech and then driving the POLITICALLY CORRECT PADDYWAGON. Fuck you and die.

Is that HATEFUL enough for you, You sons of bitches.

Fuck YOU.

GODDAMN, I LOVE FREEDOM.

PROPERTY OF DaveIsKing©

YOUR GIRLFRIEND = OWNED

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by DaveIsKing
    It's really, really fucking stupid when the goddamned government makes laws against a fucking FEELING.

What's next? INTIMIDATION CRIMES? JEALOUSY CRIMES? Shit, they probably already exist. Fucking communist bastards!

What the hell ever happened to FREE FUCKING SPEECH? Or is it only FREE if it is LIBERAL ASSHOLE PROPAGANDA??

Goddamn liberals for hypocritically "supporting" free speech and then driving the POLITICALLY CORRECT PADDYWAGON. Fuck you and die.

Is that HATEFUL enough for you, You sons of bitches.

Fuck YOU.
    The only ones threatening speech are the neocon shitbags. They are trying to make criticism of the Idiot Son of an Asshole into a "crime" or even "terrorism" while the very same hypocrites spread countless vile LIES about President Bill Clinton for the entire 8 years of his term.

Download the BBC documentary "the power of nightmares" and it will open your eyes to who these fucking pieces of shit are and what their true agenda is.

Me Wise Magician
    Veteran

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Will do, Ford.

Republicans OR Democrats...NO ONE SHOULD CREATE "THOUGHT CRIMES".

Wayne L.
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Oh, I guess the lies and personal attacks Rush spews dailey are not taken as hate speech.
    What kind of lies does Rush Limbaugh say on his show about the liberal left that aren't true or don't turn out to be true Nickdfresh?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If Mush's mouth is open, he's either lying or popping pills.

Wayne L.
    Originally posted by FORD
    If Mush's mouth is open, he's either lying or popping pills.
    What is Rush lying about the liberal left that isn't true FORD?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What kind of lies does Rush Limbaugh say on his show about the liberal left that aren't true or don't turn out to be true Nickdfresh?
    Oh I don't know. Maybe LIKE implying BILL CLINTON IS A CONSPIRATORIAL MURDERER? NOOO! Nothing there Mullet boy! No accusations made without proof all throughout the 1990's. He should get sued for defamation of character!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh yeah, according to Rush, drug addicts should be rounded up and put into CAMPS! Well, let him take the first bullet for his buying "BABY BLUES" (oxycontinin) with the "CABBAGE" (cash) he earned from mental defectives like you! He's a criminal and a hypocrite, but oh yeah! I forgot he says all the right "politically conservative things." I guess deeds count for nothing, it's what you SAY that matters. Moron!

Wayne L.
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    Oh I don't know. Maybe LIKE implying BILL CLINTON IS A CONSPIRATORIAL MURDERER? NOOO! Nothing there Mullet boy! No accusations made without proof all throughout the 1990's. He should get sued for defamation of character!
    I don't have a mullet but I know you don't have a brain in your head. Bill Clinton is a conspiratorial liar not a conspiratorial murderer.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't have a mullet but I know you don't have a brain in your head. Bill Clinton is a conspiratorial liar not a conspiratorial murderer.
    Please give both of your brain cells a rest.

Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Wayne L.
    Originally posted by LoungeMachine
    Please give both of your brain cells a rest.

Thank you
    Look who's talking.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Look who's talking.
    Wayne L.=DUMB SPEECH FROM THE RIGHT!

Thread Information