Thread: Report on Dave

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Report on Dave

I like the Quireboys, sure, but with Dave Lee Roth, you're really springing onto a different level: I mean, we're talking megastar. On the other hand, there's a lurking nervousness: will he have any hair left at all? Will he still be cool? Are his band going to be anyone we've ever heard of, or will it be a bunch of Kens? These things spread concern and anxiety.

So the band, sans Dave, come on, and — good start — they look the part: really long hair, proper rock star poses and an initial splurge of widdling guitar soloing noise, like that really pretentious and overblown beginning to Deep Purple's In Rock. Then on leaps Dave. He's got shortish (collar-length) hair, and a bit of a David Soul look, but, hey, he's wearing a sequinned leather jacket and sequinned leather trousers. Cool, he's made the effort. They start off with 'Hot for Teacher', which is very rude and very funny, and definitely gets the crowd smiling. Then we plunge headlong into a set which is notably heavy on Van Halen I, 1984 and Skyscraper: "Just like livin' in Paradise", "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Atomic Punk" all follow in fairly quick succession. Any worries I may have had about the band are dispelled in no time at all. I'm particularly impressed with the guy on lead, Brian Young (no relation, one presumes to Angus and Malcolm ...): he is trying to step into the shoes — or, I suppose, finger the fretwork — of both Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai, so would be entitled to be perhaps a tad intimidated. But he's great, not just playing the solos like they are on the records, but really putting his own style and imprint on them.

Mind you, almost inevitably, the ghost of a certain well-known American guitarist with an almost equally well-known quarrel with David Lee Roth is hanging about the place. Mr Young at one point actually starts in on something that sounds dangerously like "Eruption", Eddie Van H's tademark thousand-notes-a-minute solo guitar piece from the first Van Halen album. This is lèse-majesté in no uncertain fashion, and he stops after a few screaming bars, although not before doing a bit of the two-hands-on-the-frets thing which Eddie first popularised way back when when the world was new. We get the joke, especially when the point is underlined by immediately playing "You really got me", which follows "Eruption" on VH1.

Actually, though, what makes this show is Dave himself. He is smiling and happy and bouncy and having a marvellous time, chatting up the girls in the front row, throwing one-liners around with utter abandon, and just generally being the consummate cheerful rock frontman we've paid to see. Not only was he right at the front of the queue when they were handing out charisma, but he had an extra large slice and came back for seconds. And thirds. I've never seen one man flirting so entirely successfully with four thousand people simultaneously. He has charm and good humour and wit the way that Thom Yorke has misery and ugliness or Shane MacGowan has bad teeth, and before too long we're doing the equivalent of rolling on our backs and waiting for our tummies to be tickled.

Of course, it's not all fabulous: there are points where we wander far too far in the direction of free-form jazz funk for anyone's liking, and I'm also really not at all sure that the bass solo needed to go on for quite that long, but then Dave comes back and does a blistering "Panama", which more than made up for all of it. And thank goodness he wasn't just constrained by boring old hard rock and gave free range to his showman side too: "California Girls" and "Just a gigolo/I ain't got nobody" were extremely welcome. And he keeps up with the chat, making sure that we're having a good time and keeping us happy. One-handed, and without our realising it's going on until it's far far too late, he undoes our collective bra-strap, and helps us off (so kindly) with our top. But, hey, that's cool, he's a nice guy, and what the hell, it was going to happen some time!

In the encore we get "Ice Cream Man"', one of the most wonderfully lecherous songs I know, and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love", and then finally, inevitably, "Jump". The crowd, which has been descending into the land of the stupidly grinning for some while now, of course just goes crazy at this. We're left, at its end, the way you should be after a really good "Jump": sweaty, happy, smiley and dishevelled and only wanting to wait a little while till we've recovered enough and then do it all over again.

Coming away from the gig I talk to about a hundred complete strangers who are every bit as manically happy as I am. All the barriers are down, and we're all friends now, sharing that same waking-up-with-someone-you-shouldn't-have sly grin. We agree: this really rocked.

http://rocknerd.org/article.pl?sid=0...=thread&tid=17

Just found this, thought I'd share.
    Moving webhosts & will be making changes to the picture hosting - watch this space..

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And another:

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s there was a frontman who ruled supreme and David Lee Roth was his name. Many moons have passed and a rollercoaster career has had many write off the godfather of frontman athletisism and good looks. Having a reputation more extravagant than the money he has forked out in paternity insurance over the years, I was doubtful if he still had what it takes to deliver his trademark highly energised, high kicking and highflying performances.

The venue, packed to rafters erupted to the opening gambit for ‘Hot for Teacher’ as skin tight Elvis upturned collar outfitted Diamond Dave made his grand entrance. With a new band, on average half his age (Toshi Hiketa, Brian Young, Ray Luzier, James Lomenzo) roaring through a near perfect version, set the scene for an unbelievable evening. “Look at all the people here tonight!” he grinned, grinding his hips to the adulation of the fans, myself included. Pouting and flicking his tongue out at anything in a dress dispelled all myths that he had lost his sex appeal as female appreciation was more than evident. Balding he may be and hitting the big 50, yes, but still managing his trademark high kicks with ease. Working his way through a mix of solo material, ‘Just Like Paradise’, ‘Yankee Rose’, ‘California Girls’ cleverly massaged into all the Val Halen classics until his highly publicised and controversial spilt in 1984, seems a lifetime ago… During driving Van Halen favourites, ‘Running with the Devil’, and Kinks original ‘You Really Got Me’ he found time to nip off for a costume change appearing in an aqua blue body smothering high collared outfit that only Diamond Dave could wear.

No DLR show is complete without the mandatory swigging from a Jack Daniels bottle and another despatched in liberal doses by gesticulating in a lewd manner into the front row. ‘Somebody Get Me A Doctor’, ‘Dance The Night Away’ and ‘Panama’ caused pandemonium with the masses pushing and shoving to get to the front, yours truly included! A change of pace with the man strapping on an acoustic guitar and displaying a different side to DLR – nice touch.

Before anyone could mutter ‘Crazy From The Heat’ a good 2 hours had passed with an amazing encore to ‘Jump’ having Dave showing off his use of the microphone stand in a Karate/drum majorette fashion, spinning and twirling the stand at blurring pace topped off with a spread-eagle high kick off the drum riser as the finale.

Let it be known that despite a flagging career, receding hairline and an odometer touching on 50 he is still one of the greatest front man of all time

http://www.marqvas.com/review_detail...&category_id=1

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    nice
    Got beef with my comments? Blow me!

guwapo_rocker
    Great stuff Smaz!!

liverpool fc for life
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ah yes what a show.

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by loss of fools
    ah yes what a show.
    Twas indeed Good job you found out about it and got us to go.

lms2
    Thanks for the reviews Smaz.... its always nice to read such high praise of Dave from people on sites other than this one!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Very nice!

Thanks!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice work Smaz, ít's been a loooong time since we've seen Dave down under so your efforts are greatly appreciated.
    Go home the Earth is full....

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great review!!

Always interesting to read a well-written review like this from a woman's point of view...
    Yo Yo Yo

Sheep Pen Barn Boss
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    rothin and rollin
    Originally posted by RIKK

Now, tj was indeed a major cunt. Indeed, he probably still is.

TIME TO DIE!
    Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Very good!, Aint there a show sometime this year in Brittain? If there is, its gonna be a must see.
    "I want you to punch me in the face One second prior to take off, so it softens the blow"

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There should be, as he signed a contract to release Diamond Dave in Europe and should be touring to go with it. I'll be there if he does!!!

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Smaz, great reviews. The shows sound great and you obviously had a cool time. Thanks for sharing!

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I could write my own review... But the show was back in Feb, so I can't remember it too well............ What you think???

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool Review !
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wel, youngsters, you make me so happy with your good taste!

My 18-year-old lil sista went to England with a coach-load of her friends last year. She took Dave's best along (I offered her when she was 13, she's always been a fan, used to ball on "Shy boy" when she was 3, ha! ha! ha!) for the driver to play.
    There was just a huge amazement, then the kids asked her who the hell was singing (they didn't know Dave, but all knew, at random, Linkin Park, how unfair!) and it was just another triumph for Diamond!
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Is it any wonder
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Me and my friends played the Game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City with Yankee Rose on the soundtrack. Ever since we've been DLR/CVH fans

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by smaz
    [B] Me and my friends played the Game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City with Yankee Rose on the soundtrack. Ever since we've been DLR/CVH fans

Yeah! We still got good times ahead!

Thread Information