Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Torrent 101

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    you are really a no good mod.
    Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    no one needs you

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    hey just curious, how does your wife feel you always complaining?

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Cato
    this is not a site for collectors. fuck off.
    Oh no? Who the fuck are you to decide that?

I'm a collector. Lou is a collector. Ford is a collector.

YOU ARE A COLLECTOR you retard...
    Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd love to slug it out with you in Main, Cato...and im sure that Pojo would LOVE that...

But this should be sent back to Bootlegs...DONT SEND IT BACK TO MAIN!

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't have anything you want, because I'm a general trader unlike you. what's wrong?

hey, here's a piece of advice to you young cunt.
    why don't you stop looking down the people? it makes yourself be isolated I think eh?
    and one more thing, you are always patronizing.
    See, people have different opinions on sharing music. That's cool. Opinions are opinions and should be valued.

I have a problem with LOU because he fucking attacks people if they even mention having an inferior format. It's stupid... I mean, some people are serious about their collecting. And I damn well appreciate that. I never download standard mpeg files and pretty much stick to completed DVD-R/DVD+R files. But I certainly wouldn't give anyone shit for trying to share something.

I respect P.A...never had a problem with him (that I know of). But LOU is, and always has been, a fucking cocksucker to so many people. That patronizing shit catches up with a person.
    Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
    Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Fuhgeddaboudit!
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by tomballin
    I had this girlfriend once, had a little click in her jaw, didn't affect the quality of the BJ's one bit.

She would also kinda hiss sometimes during hard dog-styling, didn't affect the quality of that either.

Originally posted by Dan
    Now that's Funny Tom.
    Moral of story, everything in life is relative,

and

some people need to get a life.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Dave's PA Rental
    Oh no? Who the fuck are you to decide that?

I'm a collector. Lou is a collector. Ford is a collector.

YOU ARE A COLLECTOR you retard...
    you also retard.

ok, let me correct myself. I personally think...

this is not a site only for collectors. in other words, this is not a site to collect lossless recordings. this is only a message board.

those mp3s/mpeg vids are just amusement things like the arcade here, I think. you moron better not take them seriously.

Lou
    Originally posted by Rikk
    See, people have different opinions on sharing music. That's cool. Opinions are opinions and should be valued.

I have a problem with LOU because he fucking attacks people if they even mention having an inferior format. It's stupid... I mean, some people are serious about their collecting. And I damn well appreciate that. I never download standard mpeg files and pretty much stick to completed DVD-R/DVD+R files. But I certainly wouldn't give anyone shit for trying to share something.

I respect P.A...never had a problem with him (that I know of). But LOU is, and always has been, a fucking cocksucker to so many people. That patronizing shit catches up with a person.
    I wouldn't have a problem if people didn't spread it.

When Cato posted those DLR solo shows in mp3, instead of taking it to Bit Torrent and putting up the real thing, guess what gets on people's lists and goes into circulation. I tried trading for one of those shows. The guy said, "Oh no, it's not mp3." Well it was, downloaded right from here (I checked with Exact Audio Copy).

So now the ONLY version that's in circulation is in mp3. I wouldn't care if no one tried to trade it an pass it off as legit, but that's what happens. There are some VH shows that are only available in mp3 (Philly 8/29/78 and Chicago 3/13/84 are prime examples) unless you're lucky enough like me to find someone who has tapes from the '80s and can convert.

I'm gonna reiterate this is the only "trading community" I know of where this attitude is acceptable.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rikk...

I admit that Lou has a very short fuse...Ive told him this before...he even snaped on my a few weeks ago...and people love to push his buttons...but NOONE has championed the cause of sharing classic VH in its best possible form like Lou. He has high standards, and that unfortunately comes off to most people as being a jerk.

We talked about this a few weeks ago with Big Troubles...its not so much that people want these in mp3...but when those mp3's get passed around and passed off as lossless...big time traders like Lou have a right to get pissed when they get burned in a trade...

Then guys like Cato REFUSE to share Nagano '04 in anything but mp3...and actively trade mp3 sourced recordings...and SCOFF at a technology that currently accounts for 1/4 of the WORLD'S internet activity...that's when the battle lines get drawn.

Lou
    Yeah really, amazing how over ONE HUNDRED new shows go up on easytree.org daily. Literally over ONE HUNDRED. And their membership is in the tens of thousands. I guess they're all idiots too.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    Yeah really, amazing how over ONE HUNDRED new shows go up on easytree.org daily. Literally over ONE HUNDRED. And their membership is in the tens of thousands. I guess they're all idiots too.
    LOL. Who called anyone an idiot? I don't really collect, but I sure understand it and understand people wanting nothing but the best for their trades. The only person calling people idiots is you. You're the biggest dick at this site because you do nothing but speak patronizingly to most people here and attack anyone if you disagree with them even slightly.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rikk...

I admit that Lou has a very short fuse...Ive told him this before...he even snaped on my a few weeks ago...and people love to push his buttons...but NOONE has championed the cause of sharing classic VH in its best possible form like Lou. He has high standards, and that unfortunately comes off to most people as being a jerk.

We talked about this a few weeks ago with Big Troubles...its not so much that people want these in mp3...but when those mp3's get passed around and passed off as lossless...big time traders like Lou have a right to get pissed when they get burned in a trade...

Then guys like Cato REFUSE to share Nagano '04 in anything but mp3...and actively trade mp3 sourced recordings...and SCOFF at a technology that currently accounts for 1/4 of the WORLD'S internet activity...that's when the battle lines get drawn.
    Well, I understand collector's needs. I do feel my opinion isn't as valid because I only really collect video shows for DVDs. And with those I'm super-picky.

That said, I like both you and CATO, PA. But people disagree. LOU, well, I'm sure he provides a lot for the community. In fact, I downloaded an excellent Montreal '84 that he provided, and I was thankful. As a poster, I think he's a cunt. But that's a different story.

Lou
    Don't worry Rikk, the feeling is mutual. What I need to do in order not to be a cunt is to troll on over to the VH Links like you do, kiss Brent and Seenbad's ass, and talk about how great the Van Hagar albums were and how awesome "Amsterdam" sounded in Toronto in 1995.

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    Don't worry Rikk, the feeling is mutual. What I need to do in order not to be a cunt is to troll on over to the VH Links like you do, kiss Brent and Seenbad's ass, and talk about how great the Van Hagar albums were and how awesome "Amsterdam" sounded in Toronto in 1995.
    LOL. You're such a tool. You don't know me at all.

I also love the relevance. #1, I don't kiss anyone's ass at the Links. I post there maybe once or twice every two months to say hello to a few people. Frankly, if I did every day, it wouldn't matter, dickweed. It would have no relevance to this conversation. #2, I don't kiss anyone's ass over there. I've told Brett to fuck off any time I've wanted to. #3, I hate Hagar. #4, you are a pretty unpopular mod, I've noticed. This comes from thinking you are cool because you just need six more low-generation 1984 shows. Good for you...while you're in your basement listening to those, I have a social life and actually have sex with women. You are a virgin that has listened to every Van Halen show ever recorded.

Now, argue with some relevance, idiot. Attacking someone and thinking he or she is a loser because he or she doesn't have the fifteenth recording on the 1984 tour is like a Trekkie attacking someone for getting a Klingon phrase wrong.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Rikk

And he probably has a really gay, piece of shit stereo receiver. Is anyone into DVD Super-Audio or SACD? No, they just bitch about the "lossless formats" so they can lose it when they record to CD (which is the biggest "lossful'" format of all!) or play it through their shitty receivers /speaker combos. They already lost most of sound when everything was recorded off a second rate soundboard, if you're lucky. It makes no sense!

I'm a bit of an audiophile, or at least I used to be. But I learned not to get a hard-on over this bullshit or to even bring it up here. And I certainly don't look down on people for sheepishly accepting the same format we've had for about 25 years now (CD's) and allowing the record companies to continue with their crying poverty bullshit. Nor do I get a big hard-on over the fact that my system sounds better than ones costing three times as much.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    I don't have tapes to transfer, so I don't need this equipment. I use the CD burner in my computer. The person that I've gotten a lot of stuff from uses a Sony tape deck and a TDK standalone burner.
    The biggest LOSSFUL format of all LOU!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    your problem is you are always talking this thing from collector's point of view.

just enjoy the music like everybody does.
    You mean the community is about "ENJOYING" music! LOL I thought it was about being a patronizing sycophant that is full of a lot of contradictory technical jargon and shit.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    You mean the community is about "ENJOYING" music! LOL I thought it was about being a patronizing sycophant that is full of a lot of contradictory technical jargon and shit.
    Does anyone know what he is talking about?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Does anyone know what he is talking about?
    Mostly Lou.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    this stupid cunt always mistakes Nagoya for Nagano.

Lou
    The biggest LOSSFUL format of all LOU!
    I don't know what that's supposed to mean. If the master source was an analog cassette, and you transfer that directly to CDR, what are you supposed to do.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Lou
    I don't know what that's supposed to mean. If the master source was an analog cassette, and you transfer that directly to CDR, what are you supposed to do.
    Correct Lou, but the compact disc can only support a compression resolution 44.1khs which means that significant gaps in the music remain. You are only "sampling" the music in 1's and 0's, but for every two or three bits of (music) data encoded, there is a subtle loss of about one bit due to the digitalization of music. You can seek a lossless format all you want, but lose more of the music by recording it to CD. That's the biggest criticism of CD's since they come out, when audiophiles noticed they got a lot more bass, but also noticed a significant loss in the depth of the music as compared to LP's. They have tried to rectify this by improving CD technology with "enhanced resolution" (i.e. the VH Remasters), but there is no getting past the fact that CD's are 25 years old now.

I once discovered this when I had the VHS copy of U2 RATTLE & HUM. It sounded awesome through my 1991 RCA stereo VCR. I could hear subtle nuances in the music such as the Edges fingers on the fretboard or the echo of Bono's mic. But when I bought the CD soundtrack, the very same songs sounded thin and much less intense through the speakers. I then questioned someone about this and learned the above.

I am seriously not trying to be a prick here. But I wonder why you two worry so much about a lossless digital format when you lose a significant amount of sound recording it to CD.

Though, there is hope for a better sounding format despite the fact that Super Audio CD and DVD Super-audio both appear to be failing, a new format is due to be released soon (blue light DVD technology) with can encode six times the compression of the current DVD format, which uses a red laser beam to read the data. This and another, completely new technology, the holy grail of audio visual entertainment, called 'Holograph' will also be ready soon. Until then, you will continue to lose sound quality in CD technology.
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-23-2005 at 05:05 PM.

Lou
    Why I worry is because a) it's stupid then to say, "Well it's lost something already, so who cares if it loses more, and b) What if everyone just did whatever the hell they felt like, encoding to mp3, and then burning to audio CD, and then ripping again, re-encoding to mp3 again (maybe a lesser bitrate), and on and on.

If it loses something in the CD transfer, so be it. We're limited by the technology we have. But conversion to mp3 is ENTIRELY PREVENTABLE.

And plus, while you lose something converting to CD, at least once it's on CD (and not fucked around with anymore) you can make endless copies and put a floor on the loss of quality. With mp3, and people doing as they please, there's no floor to how degraded it can get. Then you can't find a non-mp3 copy anymore in the trading pool. You don't know WHAT you're getting in the trading pool, really, if people just did what they felt like doing. That's the problem. Not to mention all the rough track transitions and clicks and shit that result from conversion to mp3.

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fucking great post, Lou.

Nickdfresh...excellent points, but listent to Lou...

HOF '06
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nagoya...Nagano...same fucking thing...release the show in lossless Cato...your Bootleg Forum constituants DEMAND it...

You love it!
    Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cato why don't you put your shows in lossless format on one of the many Torrenting sites, that way people who want them in FLAC or SHN format could have them or people who want them in MP3 can get them here. That way everyone gets what they want.
    Rumour has it that Van Halen have continued in recent years with a new lead signer, but since there 1985 breakup, nobody involved has ever recaptured that spontaneous cheeseburger magic!

ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    all things should be done in this site.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

blue light DVD technology
    blue light is Kmart. you're thinking of blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    lmao...

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    blu-ray....

I haven't bought even a double layer DVD burner yet, though...

THE SHEEP PEN
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    blu-ray....

I haven't bought even a double layer DVD burner yet, though...
    The discs are still too expensive, but they'll come down very soon.

I have some discs I'll have to re-render in a higher bitrate. Still, amazing how good discs look even with a 4.7GB limit.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I totally agree with Bit Torrent...

Having said that, Lou, I also believe that material can be thoroughly enjoyed in MP3 format...

Especially old cassette and video tape live amature home recordings...

The recordings generally sucked back in the day, as they do today...

I love listening to that garbage, but my friends hate it...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by twonabomber
    blue light is Kmart. you're thinking of blu-ray.

http://www.blu-ray.com/
    I need a blu-ray on a blue light special!

I guess there is another VHS vs. Beta style format war on the horizen--Blu-Ray (Sony/Philips) vs. HD-DVD(Toshiba). I'm not buying anything yet!

I should have known that since I posted this article over two months ago.

New Format Article
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 01-25-2005 at 06:13 AM.

Thread Information