I bought the DVD and a free copy of the paperback came with it. Figured since the book is only about 360 pages, I'd knock that out before watching the movie.

The book sucks so bad, I don't know if I can even finish it....just awful. Was anyone able to get through this thing? I've never been so bored in my life.

I constantly find myself screaming out loud, "I FUCKING GET IT ALREADY!!!!

It's about a small shithole town in Texas. The town is dominated by racist white people that are too stupid to realize that they are racist. All they care about is the H.S. Football team and the games they play on Friday night. The team kicks ass. It always has. It's the winningest team in Texas history.

Through forced integration, they bus in black kids from the even more shitty part of town. It's working out well though because black kids make excellent football players. So long as they stick to the field and don't mix with the white folk off it, everything is ok.

Sounds like a good story. It also sounds like "Remember the Titans", but still...sounds interesting.

WRONG!

The book reads like one of those "60 Minutes" or "20/20" news pieces, where they show a couple of football highlights as they interview the history teacher, the cheerleader, the fucking waitress in the local "eats".....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Here's a little taste.

"On the SAT exam, boys who took the test from 1988-89 at Permian had a combined average score of 915 (433 verbal, 482 mathematical), 19 points below the national average for boys.
Girls had a combined score of 840 (404 verbal, 436 matematical), 75 points below their male counterparts at Permian and 35 points below the national average for girls. Of the 132 girls who took the test during the 1988-89 school year, there wasn't one who got above a 650 in either the math or verbal portion of the exam."

RIVITING!!!!!

The book is chock FULL of interesting information like that.

I'm halfway through this fucking boring fucking snooze fest and the author is STILL driving home the point that the town is racially divided. Not in an interesting fashion mind you....he just gives you information.

That's the book....Full of information.

The movie better fucking ROCK.